Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2024 Looks Like a Great Year for the Vikings to Draft a Quarterback

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
witljon

Re: 2024 Looks Like a Great Year for the Vikings to Draft a Quarterback

Post by witljon »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:22 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:27 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:07 am

It’s all smokescreen and innuendo right now.

But I heard someone phrase it thusly:

Imagine everything about the Vikings and Patriots was the same, except the Vikings had the #3 pick and the Patriots had the 11 and 23. Given the state of their rosters, there’s no question the Vikings would go QB at 3. But would there be any talk of the Patriots trying to trade up for 3? I doubt it. They’d be saying that having 2 first rounders is an excellent opportunity for them to give a bad roster a much-needed talent infusion.

Adding picks just makes a lot of sense for New England. Especially since Maye (of the top-3) is probably the most dependent on having talent around him.
It was that last statement that got me, the "the opportunity that these three quarterbacks represent at the top of the Draft."

I envisioned this as a direct convo between Kwesi and Elliott Wolf, and Wolf ended with that phrase.
My response was intended in the voice of Kwesi, just being frustrated for having time wasted, because three firsts is perfectly inline with the market of previous trades.

If Wolf is now saying that is not enough and they're excited for the QBs, then you're not really in the market in the first place, because there really should be no number that is enough to walk away from a QB of this potential.
It’s all just negotiating. Kraft has all but said the pick is available for the right price. Wolf is just trying to make sure that price is as high as it can be.

That’s my read, anyway.
Words that come to mind is fleece, swindle, and overcharge is what Kraft has in mind. It’ll take an inexperienced GM to bite, and that’s what Kwesi is….
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

I bet Kwesi is the one not liking the idea of giving up all that draft capital. I could see the HC really pushing if he thinks he has to get to 3 to get his guy.

This is obviously speculation but I think he's a lot more measured than people give him credit for. He has no history of overpaying FA's. It's nothing but solid contracts for solid players. The 2nd rounder used for Hock, a smart safe trade. He just doesn't have a history of doing outrages reaches in the draft or spazzing over Free Agents.

He does like to gamble on previous high draft picks for low costs. So far it hasn't really panned out but one day it will and those are low risk gambles.

If he's a stock guy he probably knows that putting all your eggs in one basket is super risky. That's kinda like trading many 1st round picks for #3.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

I will say though that if Kwesi thinks he's got a chance at a generational QB or at least a legit Franchise QB he'll probably be more than willing to make a fair trade.

His statements when they still had Kirk most definitely lean toward his awareness of how important it is to have a top flight QB.
Offsides 97 defense

Post by Offsides 97 defense »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:33 pm I bet Kwesi is the one not liking the idea of giving up all that draft capital. I could see the HC really pushing if he thinks he has to get to 3 to get his guy.

This is obviously speculation but I think he's a lot more measured than people give him credit for. He has no history of overpaying FA's. It's nothing but solid contracts for solid players. The 2nd rounder used for Hock, a smart safe trade. He just doesn't have a history of doing outrages reaches in the draft or spazzing over Free Agents.

He does like to gamble on previous high draft picks for low costs. So far it hasn't really panned out but one day it will and those are low risk gambles.

If he's a stock guy he probably knows that putting all your eggs in one basket is super risky. That's kinda like trading many 1st round picks for #3.
This is the time to do it. This is the quarterback draft. They'll have a ton of cap space next year to add additional pieces they need. So not having the first is not the end of the world.

You can build a championship team through free agency, too. There's been a long-standing myth that you can't win by bringing in experienced players. You can, and it's done all the time. Denver had a hell of a run doing it, for example.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
"1800, Engineers, You go out and find mines"
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Offsides 97 defense wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:36 pm

This is the time to do it. This is the quarterback draft. They'll have a ton of cap space next year to add additional pieces they need. So not having the first is not the end of the world.

You can build a championship team through free agency, too. There's been a long-standing myth that you can't win by bringing in experienced players. You can, and it's done all the time. Denver had a hell of a run doing it, for example.
It's a great year to draft a QB.

Having to move up to get one isn't guaranteed to work. That's where I think Viking fans in general are getting it wrong. Just because you have never used a top ten draft pick on a QB is not the reason you haven't drafted a Franchise QB in along time. The Packers haven't used a top 20 draft pick on any of their QB's since Favre.

It's simply a matter of taking the right guy and some of that has to do with timing.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:49 pm

Having to move up to get one isn't guaranteed to work. That's where I think Viking fans in general are getting it wrong. Just because you have never used a top ten draft pick on a QB is not the reason you haven't drafted a Franchise QB in along time. The Packers haven't used a top 20 draft pick on any of their QB's since Favre.

It's simply a matter of taking the right guy and some of that has to do with timing.
Nothing is guaranteed to work. If you want guarantees, you’re in the wrong field of speculation.

Trading up isn’t guaranteed to work. Taking a guy where we sit isn’t guaranteed to work. Trading back isn’t guaranteed to work. Sticking with Sam Darnold isn’t guaranteed to work.

Get the word “guarantee” and all of its various forms out of your vocabulary.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:48 pm
-VikingsTw- wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:49 pm

Nothing is guaranteed to work. If you want guarantees, you’re in the wrong field of speculation.

Trading up isn’t guaranteed to work. Taking a guy where we sit isn’t guaranteed to work. Trading back isn’t guaranteed to work. Sticking with Sam Darnold isn’t guaranteed to work.

Yeah, if Kwesi was interested in guarantees, he would have stayed in the stock trade game.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

It's just funny how a large part of this fan base believes we have to move up... THEN we will get the QB of the future because they moved up and took a QB really high in the draft!

The closest this franchise ever got to winning a SB (and should have twice) in my tenure came both times from Free Agent QB's. And they weren't really the reason it didn't work.

Not only that but since I've been a fan they have past on and not drafted numerous multi bro bowl and hall of fame QB's in the draft.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:06 pm

It's just funny how a large part of this fan base believes we have to move up... THEN we will get the QB of the future because they moved up and took a QB really high in the draft!

The closest this franchise ever got to winning a SB (and should have twice) in my tenure came both times from Free Agent QB's. And they weren't really the reason it didn't work.

Not only that but since I've been a fan they have past on and not drafted numerous multi bro bowl and hall of fame QB's in the draft.
4 NFCCGs w/ 4 different QBs in a 20 year span
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Oriole81 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:38 pm

Yeah, if Kwesi was interested in guarantees, he would have stayed in the stock trade game.
Is there guarantees in the stock market?

If that's the case then some players are pretty much are guarantees. I would call it very high probabilities.

After we drafted Percy on a super load team I put him in the top ten players on the team before he ever set foot on the field as a Viking. I was then slandered for it on the forum but it eventually got put in the VikingsTw was right Folder.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Oriole81 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:09 pm

Right. But all, except arguably the Daunte year, was a short window of 1-2 years max.

Just once, I’d like to see them be bold and try to kick open a 15-year window of competitiveness behind a young elite QB prospect. Assuming one of the top picks is gettable (and I think it is) and that there’s a top guy we covet (and I think there is), this is the time to strike. When are we going to have this chance again?

- Isaac Asimov
Offsides 97 defense

Post by Offsides 97 defense »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:10 pm

If that's the case then some players are pretty much are guarantees. I would call it very high probabilities.

After we drafted Percy on a super load team I put him in the top ten players on the team before he ever set foot on the field as a Viking. I was then slandered for it on the forum but it eventually got put in the VikingsTw was right Folder.
Don't be a boob toob. All of us are wrong more than we are right. Even the dorks that come in here and say things like " I watched the tape." It's low rank to pound your chest or complain about a right take.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
"1800, Engineers, You go out and find mines"
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Offsides 97 defense wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:16 pm

Don't be a boob toob. All of us are wrong more than we are right. Even the dorks that come in here and say things like " I watched the tape." It's low rank to pound your chest or complain about a right take.
:lol:

As if “Percy Harvin was an elite talent” was ever a contrarian take anyway, :lol:

Everyone knew he was a stud. And everyone knew he was a little… off…. Both those things came to fruition in the NFL.

- Isaac Asimov
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:16 pm

Right. But all, except arguably the Daunte year, was a short window of 1-2 years max.

Just once, I’d like to see them be bold and try to kick open a 15-year window of competitiveness behind a young elite QB prospect. Assuming one of the top picks is gettable (and I think it is) and that there’s a top guy we covet (and I think there is), this is the time to strike. When are we going to have this chance again?
I don’t disagree, but I was just contributing to the narrative that some fans think it HAS to be a big trade up or bust.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:18 pm

:lol:

As if “Percy Harvin was an elite talent” was ever a contrarian take anyway, :lol:

Everyone knew he was a stud. And everyone knew he was a little… off…. Both those things came to fruition in the NFL.
No they didn't... :lol:

At least not on the forum I was on. I wasn't here.

I did bring you guys Aaron Darnold and had debates about it for pages and pages trying to talk this team into not screwing up.
Last edited by -VikingsTw- on Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

I would be even more right if this was a full time gig. Having the tools, time and possibly the chance to meet the prospects...

I've always been good at it and I know because of the players I've liked over the years. Many times I out drafted the Vikings vs what I would have done.

It usually came down to the team forcing something instead of taking the obvious talent. A lot of "need" fucked em.

I have been wrong though, no doubt. Sometimes it's hard to even give a full on opinion about an entire group of players when you don't have the full scope view of the entirety.

It takes months and months to put something like that together. It really needs to be a job.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Oriole81 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:24 pm

I don’t disagree, but I was just contributing to the narrative that some fans think it HAS to be a big trade up or bust.
It doesn’t have to be. If you really think you can sit tight and get and develop a guy who can be the dude who kicks open that window, then cool. Just be right.

But there’s no guarantees!

- Isaac Asimov
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:35 pm

I would be even more right if this was a full time gig. Having the tools, time and possibly the chance to meet the prospects...

I've always been good at it and I know because of the players I've liked over the years. Many times I out drafted the Vikings vs what I would have done.

It usually came down to the team forcing something instead of taking the obvious talent. A lot of "need" fucked em.

I have been wrong though, no doubt. Sometimes it's hard to even give a full on opinion about an entire group of players when you don't have the full scope view of the entirety.

It takes months and months to put something like that together. It really needs to be a job.
My favorite is when you told us you honestly believe that fans watching their televisions can use their brain power to have a positive effect on the performance of Vikings players. Totally hilarious shit, my dude.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:02 am My favorite is when you told us you honestly believe that fans watching their televisions can use their brain power to have a positive effect on the performance of Vikings players. Totally hilarious shit, my dude.
How did you like the Minneapolis Miracle... Wink Wink
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:56 am
DonaldDouchebag wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:02 am My favorite is when you told us you honestly believe that fans watching their televisions can use their brain power to have a positive effect on the performance of Vikings players. Totally hilarious shit, my dude.
So this thread has become dick waving… :lol:

I was right about tons of stuff and wrong about lots of things. Percy and his migraines was a ton of drama, but he never really put this team over the top. In the past this team hasn’t found ways to use these gimmick players, but Harvin was his own worst enemy. We got great compensation for him and Diggs.. sure got luckier when we traded Diggs than Moss though.

Chances are we waste JJ’s best years the same as Moss if we take another retread and get close. Then he will leave for greener pastures.

I was right about Bradford, but a homer about Teddy. I just really liked Zimmer and felt Spielman held him back. Spielman forced Cousins on Zimmer and to the end it was a failure. Rick never would have assembled multiple first to go after a top prospect quarterback.

What is nice now is that KOA and KOC work together. It isn’t the BS we had here with Rick.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

what's going to be interesting to me is that i've watched more tape on JJ than i have of any other QB ever and i think he's going to be good in the NFL. i'll find out if i was seeing things clearly in a couple of years.
BigInflateable

Post by BigInflateable »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:19 am what's going to be interesting to me is that i've watched more tape on JJ than i have of any other QB ever and i think he's going to be good in the NFL. i'll find out if i was seeing things clearly in a couple of years.
Fact is that with all of these kids, being placed in the right situation on the right team with the right staff could make all of the difference.
Going to a bad organization with bad coaching and getting forced into playing without the proper conditioning can ruin any of these prospects. Shit Sam Darnold could end up living up to his 3rd overall pick in the draft under KOC. Most likely not, but would be fun to watch if he does!
"You can tweet that."
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

Oriole81 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:24 pm

It kind of is. I mean they could take Penix or Nix and both could turn out to be HOF but in the end there is a contingent that has been against Kirk for his whole time here and the narrative has largely been “ he held the team back with his high salary and lack of mobility “ and a rookie QB is what the team needs.

Now those people are getting their way and they are going to have to face reality if the QB doesn’t work out.
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

BigInflateable wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:44 am
weimy froob wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:19 am what's going to be interesting to me is that i've watched more tape on JJ than i have of any other QB ever and i think he's going to be good in the NFL. i'll find out if i was seeing things clearly in a couple of years.
Fact is that with all of these kids, being placed in the right situation on the right team with the right staff could make all of the difference.
Going to a bad organization with bad coaching and getting forced into playing without the proper conditioning can ruin any of these prospects. Shit Sam Darnold could end up living up to his 3rd overall pick in the draft under KOC. Most likely not, but would be fun to watch if he does!
It’s so hard to watch college and get the feel for how they will do because the competition is so different.

When the fan base locked into Teddy in 2014 those that wanted him were convinced he was nfl ready and would be a star. I saw a guy who was making easy throws to WRs who were open constantly and not covered by quality backs.

When Teddy got to the NFL the coverage was tighter and he didn’t trust his arm to throw into tight spots so he took checkdowns and that was the way his career went and if his knee hadn’t exploded the story would have been the same
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Most likely not is correct. But he’ll get his chance. I expect him to play better than he has before because his offensive talent will be better than he’s had before. But I expect him to not be great. If he exceeds those expectations, that’s fantastic. Then we have a good problem. But we cannot count on him exceeding those expectations. We have to address the long-term health of the position this off-season with a young top prospect, imho.

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I’m sure at that moment all Minnesota fans believed a miracle was about to happen. None were fatalistically saying “here we go again” or “typical Minnesota collapse” or anything like that.

I’m currently willing you with my brain to stop posting stupid shit. Will it work?

- Isaac Asimov
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

PurpleFloyd wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:52 am
It’s so hard to watch college and get the feel for how they will do because the competition is so different.

When the fan base locked into Teddy in 2014 those that wanted him were convinced he was nfl ready and would be a star. I saw a guy who was making easy throws to WRs who were open constantly and not covered by quality backs.

When Teddy got to the NFL the coverage was tighter and he didn’t trust his arm to throw into tight spots so he took checkdowns and that was the way his career went and if his knee hadn’t exploded the story would have been the same
i think he has a laser arm and will be able to make the throws in the NFL. now in one of these threads someone posted a tweet where they were doubting that. the other thing people say is that they'd like to see more throws. i feel like i've seen enough. maybe we'll have a verdict on him in a couple of years. i do somewhat agree that the team he goes to could impact his career either positively or negatively--but i also am going to put the responsibility on him for how good of one he has.
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:16 pm
PurpleFloyd wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:52 am

i think he has a laser arm and will be able to make the throws in the NFL. now in one of these threads someone posted a tweet where they were doubting that. the other thing people say is that they'd like to see more throws. i feel like i've seen enough. maybe we'll have a verdict on him in a couple of years. i do somewhat agree that the team he goes to could impact his career either positively or negatively--but i also am going to put the responsibility on him for how good of one he has.
It’s possible. The other part is recognizing coverage and processing the way the play has to happen in your head before the snap. It’s rare to have all that and missing one piece gives you Darnold.

Because there are questions and it’s not clear whether any of the available players check all the boxes it’s foolish to trade up and sacrifice future picks on any of them.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:04 pm
I’m sure at that moment all Minnesota fans believed a miracle was about to happen. None were fatalistically saying “here we go again” or “typical Minnesota collapse” or anything like that.

I’m currently willing you with my brain to stop posting stupid shit. Will it work?
What your doing is sending a wavelength of suggestion. It's really me that makes the decision.

I can help you though. The easiest way to avoid reading my posts is to mute them.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:38 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:04 pm

What your doing is sending a wavelength of suggestion. It's really me that makes the decision.

I can help you though. The easiest way to avoid reading my posts is to mute them.
If you got a suggestion from me, it’s because you read my posts. No magic.

It’s not about me reading your stupid stuff. That’s okay. It’s about people not being stupid in the first place. The world is a better place with less stupidity. That’s what I want you to work on. Not because the post bothers me.

But back to the point. Here’s the thread of the Minneapolis miracle game. The link is to the page before Diggs catches the big touchdown pass. Go ahead and find all the “positive vibes” being sent the Vikings’ way. :lol:

viewtopic.php?t=4754&hilit=Diggs&start=930

- Isaac Asimov