Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2024 Looks Like a Great Year for the Vikings to Draft a Quarterback

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: 2024 Looks Like a Great Year for the Vikings to Draft a Quarterback

Post by RubeTube »

D_H wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:18 pm I’d probably stay put and take Penix or Nix. Go D at 23.

If you trade 2 firsts this year and 1 next year and Maye and Daniels are busts - everyone is gone in the front office and all! Big risk!
I rather take Verse or Turner with pick #11 and take the QB at #23. One of those guys will be available at that pick if not both.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
D_H

Post by D_H »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:53 am
D_H wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:18 pm I’d probably stay put and take Penix or Nix. Go D at 23.

If you trade 2 firsts this year and 1 next year and Maye and Daniels are busts - everyone is gone in the front office and all! Big risk!
I rather take Verse or Turner with pick #11 and take the QB at #23. One of those guys will be available at that pick if not both.

I could live with that
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

D_H wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:29 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:22 pm

Go big or go home.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

You don’t achieve greatness by aiming low.

You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.

Etc.

I agree if you can get Maye or Daniels it’s worth it but if you can’t you take one of those 2 at 11. I’m guessing something has already worked out either with Washington or New England. Look into the KG Osborne signing that might have some implications as well with us.

I think it’ll take nexts years first too to move up to get Maye or Daniels. It sounds like they are in love with Maye so why not I guess.
Plus, if it doesn't work out the FO is gone anyway. What do they care about leaving us in the lurch with future picks? Their future is now.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

D_H wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:41 am

I could live with that
I don't think they gave up what they did just to stay put. Then again, I have no clue.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Mplsfonz wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:51 am
D_H wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:41 am

I could live with that
I don't think they gave up what they did just to stay put. Then again, I have no clue.
I’m with you. But it’s also possible that move two is contingent on another domino that may or may not fall.

We don’t know. And we might not know until April 25th.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Offsides 97 defense

Post by Offsides 97 defense »

Moving up to #23 would be something you do on draft day. Since they did it before the draft, it is preemptive to move up.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
"1800, Engineers, You go out and find mines"
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Offsides 97 defense wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:18 am
Moving up to #23 would be something you do on draft day. Since they did it before the draft, it is preemptive to move up.
I think so too. To have that many pieces moving on draft day seems like a Herchel Walker fleecing when you have to make quick and sometime compulsive decisions. Now NE or AZ know what they could be asking for, and the FO could decide in a timely fashion if it's worth it. Just my 2
witljon

Post by witljon »

Chicago, Washington, and New England all need QBs. What if Williams, Maye, and Daniels weren’t in this draft. Where would Penix, McCarthy, and Nix be drafted?
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

witljon wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:15 pm Chicago, Washington, and New England all need QBs. What if Williams, Maye, and Daniels weren’t in this draft. Where would Penix, McCarthy, and Nix be drafted?
McCarthy would go #9 to Chicago, Penix would go #11 to the Vikings and Nix would go #12 to Denver.
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

What if…….😆😆😆
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

witljon wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:15 pm Chicago, Washington, and New England all need QBs. What if Williams, Maye, and Daniels weren’t in this draft. Where would Penix, McCarthy, and Nix be drafted?
The Bears select Harrison #1 overall and does not dump Fields. Washington takes McCarthy #2. New England trades down to a team that wants either one of the offensive tackles or one of the wide receivers. The trade up values are much, much lower than in the current draft.

Penix and Nix might go a bit higher in this draft scenario than reality as a QB needy team might look to take one of them as QB2 and QB3, maybe even as high as the mid-first round.

The real 2024 draft is a good year to draft quarterbacks (we have made this abundantly clear), offensive tackles, and wide receivers along with a top level tight end prospect. It is not a quality year for defensive talent although starting in the mid first round the CB talent develops.
witljon

Post by witljon »

William Munny wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:22 pm
McCarthy would go #9 to Chicago, Penix would go #11 to the Vikings and Nix would go #12 to Denver.
Almost every year the top pick is a QB.
It’s happened 7 of the past 9 years.
D_H

Post by D_H »

"I think they like all those guys," Wolfson said on Thursday's Mackey and Judd show. "Now, I get it there's one that's clear cut. Let's take Caleb out of the equation, Caleb going No. 1 to the Bears. But of the three, among Drake Maye, Jayden Daniels and J.J. McCarthy, my sense is the Vikings have pretty strong, good opinions on all three and have dismissed JJ McCarthy from people I have talked to in the organization. Now, I understand it if Maye is clear cut No. 1 of those three but I'm telling you there's been very, very little Jayden Daniels chatter and I guess I don't get it. I'm not sitting here dismissing the possibility of Daniels ultimately being the guy here."
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

witljon wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:23 pm
William Munny wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:22 pm
Almost every year the top pick is a QB.
It’s happened 7 of the past 9 years.
This year it would be MHJ.

Chicago keeps Fields. If McCarthy falls to 9, maybe they take him, otherwise they probably go OT and roll. But I bet McCarthy goes 6 to New York. Minnesota may have gone harder for Kirk Cousins in this hypothetical, but I could see them going Penix at 11.

Everyone has known about this good QB draft for a while. Teams scout years ahead. It informs their entire off-season plan. If you change that by removing the top-3, you change everyone’s off-season philosophy entirely.

- Isaac Asimov
witljon

Post by witljon »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:49 pm
The Bears select Harrison #1 overall and does not dump Fields. Washington takes McCarthy #2. New England trades down to a team that wants either one of the offensive tackles or one of the wide receivers. The trade up values are much, much lower than in the current draft.

Penix and Nix might go a bit higher in this draft scenario than reality as a QB needy team might look to take one of them as QB2 and QB3, maybe even as high as the mid-first round.

The real 2024 draft is a good year to draft quarterbacks (we have made this abundantly clear), offensive tackles, and wide receivers along with a top level tight end prospect. It is not a quality year for defensive talent although starting in the mid first round the CB talent develops.
QB hungry teams have reached with the top pick with such players as Tim Couch, Jameis Winston, Sam Bradford, and JaMarcus Russell.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

witljon wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:32 pm

QB hungry teams have reached with the top pick with such players as Tim Couch, Jameis Winston, Sam Bradford, and JaMarcus Russell.
Yep. That is why I think the CommanderSkins will select McCarthy at #2, although I do not thing that is a huge reach.

Plus lets look at the reality. Couch wasn't considered a reach. He was teh #1 pick but (one of my all time favorite players) Donovan McNabb was selected #2, Akili Smith (that was always a reach in my opinion) #3, with Duante at #11 and Cade McNown at #12. Five QBs in top 12.

Sam Bradford was never considered to be a reach in the draft even at #1. There wasn't a QB taken in his draft (2010) until Tebow at #25. Nor was Jameris considered a reach.

The situation was similar to JaMarcus (I thought he was a bit of a reach because he was so raw) in 2007. The next QB was select #22, Brady QUinn.

If Williams, Maye, and Daniels were not part of this draft it would mirror those QB lite drafts. Plus remember, if these three guys were NOT in the draft, they would probably be available in the next draft. QB needy teams at the top would probably account for this and take other positions.
D_H

Post by D_H »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:40 pm

Yep. That is why I think the CommanderSkins will select McCarthy at #2, although I do not thing that is a huge reach.

Plus lets look at the reality. Couch wasn't considered a reach. He was teh #1 pick but (one of my all time favorite players) Donovan McNabb was selected #2, Akili Smith (that was always a reach in my opinion) #3, with Duante at #11 and Cade McNown at #12. Five QBs in top 12.

Sam Bradford was never considered to be a reach in the draft even at #1. There wasn't a QB taken in his draft (2010) until Tebow at #25. Nor was Jameris considered a reach.

The situation was similar to JaMarcus (I thought he was a bit of a reach because he was so raw) in 2007. The next QB was select #22, Brady QUinn.

If Williams, Maye, and Daniels were not part of this draft it would mirror those QB lite drafts. Plus remember, if these three guys were NOT in the draft, they would probably be available in the next draft. QB needy teams at the top would probably account for this and take other positions.
JJ McCarthy at two lo

Tell us again how JJ McCarthy compares to Josh Allen lol
witljon

Post by witljon »

I don’t know, it seems like when a QB is not taken No. 1 overall, it’s because that team already has their QB. Like when Travon Walker was selected 1st. Jacksonville was set with Trevor Lawrence..
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

witljon wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:02 pm

I don’t know, it seems like when a QB is not taken No. 1 overall, it’s because that team already has their QB. Like when Travon Walker was selected 1st. Jacksonville was set with Trevor Lawrence..
And Kenny Pickett was QB1 in the 2022 draft.....
D_H

Post by D_H »

Notable Lions, Vikings staff expected to miss Michigan's Pro Day.

The NFC North is expected to have an influx of new quarterbacks once the 2024 NFL Draft is complete. USC quarterback Caleb Williams is expected to go number one overall to the Bears and the Vikings are expected to pick one of the remaining big three.

However, Vikings General Manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah and coach Kevin O’Connell are not expected to attend the Michigan Pro Day on Friday.

Lolololololollololo
witljon

Post by witljon »

D_H wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:30 pm Notable Lions, Vikings staff expected to miss Michigan's Pro Day.

The NFC North is expected to have an influx of new quarterbacks once the 2024 NFL Draft is complete. USC quarterback Caleb Williams is expected to go number one overall to the Bears and the Vikings are expected to pick one of the remaining big three.

However, Vikings General Manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah and coach Kevin O’Connell are not expected to attend the Michigan Pro Day on Friday.

Lolololololollololo
I heard that too, but my guess is the Vikings are sending someone.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Moar stats!!

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Moar rumors:

- Isaac Asimov
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:22 am Moar rumors:

that could be ideal and be some exciting football.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:26 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:22 am Moar rumors:

that could be ideal and be some exciting football.
Why do you think "that could be ideal?"
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Pick for sale:

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

“Don’t get mad when we trade the pick, fans.”

- Isaac Asimov
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

NE and WAS now want to trade out? Excellent. Target and Walmart need to put item on sale now to get us to bite!
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

minnemike wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:52 am NE and WAS now want to trade out? Excellent. Target and Walmart need to put item on sale now to get us to bite!
Word is Denver is huge competition to move up. They allegedly want McCarthy.

They don’t have a 2nd first round pick and their starting point is 12. And they don’t have a 2 this year. So they’d have to really move future firsts. I’m talking their ‘24, ‘25, and ‘26 first rounders to get it done.

But I think Payton and Paton have enough egg on their faces after the Wilson debacle to be as bold as they have to be. And I can’t imagine Sean Payton being happy without a high-end quarterback; or at least a high-end prospect.

- Isaac Asimov
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

Im sticking with my prediction that caleb is a bust. Yes the kid is good. But there is just something about him that tells me he will create drama, esp if things don't go his way.

Now while i dont tend to follow this shit too close, the vikes seemed to be set to either shock the world or do something dumb. And the shock the world could be something dumb.