Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***OFFICIAL RODENTS VS HUSKERS GDT***

Home for Gopher football topics
Slap Shot

Re: ***OFFICIAL RODENTS VS HUSKERS GDT***

Post by Slap Shot »

hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Slap Shot wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:45 pm This team clearly has some work to do in practice next week including running the ball, Z connecting with his receivers and the special teams (KR and KO), but you take the W and sort things out later.

Also DH has anyone taken a bite yet?
I can't for the life of me understand why the jackass was ever allowed back to post here. Imagine being a grown ass man whose main entertainment in life is bothering other grown men you don't know on the internets. He should post "they won't win another big 10 game" or "PJ getting out coached badly" a few more times, because, man, the first 18 times were really really funny. A grown ass man doing that, you just can't make it up. :lol:

What an ugly win. Just glad we didn't take the L and can possibly learn from it. They better fix the run game very quickly.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

They could bolster the run game if they made the passing game more of a threat. 24/44 for 196 isn't good enough especially considering the pass protection (and/or lack of Nebraska pass rush) was there. He started 5 games last year so he's not brand new. He's got potential, but also missed a few wide-open opportunities and was wildly off on a few deep balls which he is supposed to be better at than Morgan. They need to improve a lot if they're to have any chance at UNC in 3 weeks.

Both kids were in the student section and said campus was a blast after the game. Nice crowd that probably won't be matched against the next few opponents.
hategreenticemase

Slap Shot wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:33 am They could bolster the run game if they made the passing game more of a threat. 24/44 for 196 isn't good enough especially considering the pass protection (and/or lack of Nebraska pass rush) was there. He started 5 games last year so he's not brand new. He's got potential, but also missed a few wide-open opportunities and was wildly off on a few deep balls which he is supposed to be better at than Morgan. They need to improve a lot if they're to have any chance at UNC in 3 weeks.

Both kids were in the student section and said campus was a blast after the game. Nice crowd that probably won't be matched against the next few opponents.
Pass protection? Are you being serious? He was flushed more times than not, in spite of short to intermediate routes and quick rhythm was mostly what they did. Nebraska not getting exotic in blitzing was a huge boon for us, could not figure out their plan all night. In fact I thought it was the best part of his game using speed to escape and buy time.

He is young, we need to remember that. He absolutely missed some throws no doubt. Definitely needs to be better downfield, more touch more accuracy.... I think he will be much better in Oct.

Biggest issue right now is we need to be able to run the damn ball. Ol was disappointing I would imagine they would improve as well, and they damn sure are going to need to...
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Here's some crow for several of you here who jumped off the bandwagon in the THIRD quarter of THE FIRST game! :lol:

***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I saw the highlight of Jackson's catch. Wow! Damn AK, dude was wide open. That didn't need to be hard.
Let's get Tropical
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

I think they are gonna need to find a way to run the ball more.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

Two words: YUCK!
Ketchup can be nuancy
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Well.

First, the bad:

OL. Terrible night all around. I get that there's a lot of new pieces, but the most concerning part is that the left tackle (#69) had an awful, awful night. I only counted 6 guys that played on the OL for sure. They usually rotate in more. Either way, get things figured out and do it in a hurry.
RB-Tyler had a couple of nice runs, but he certainly did not look like a Big 10 feature back. I wouldn't bet on him leading the Gophers in rushing, but again, maybe the OL was why he didn't look great.
Special teams-Game-winner aside, the kick coverage to start the second half was bad. Roughing the kicker penalty can't happen when you've got them backed up to 4th and 22.
AK8. Terrible red-zone pick when you're driving. Just an awful, awful side-armed garbage throw. Receivers didn't do him lots of favors. Way too many drops, but he was inaccurate way too often.
Harbaugh/Simon. Whoever was calling plays. Ish. Especially questionable was when they were actually pushing the Huskers around and decided to run some cutesy WR reverse with Jackson. You do that when you're trying to get the defense off balance, not when you've already got them off balance.

The good:
AK8. Showed good mobility when under duress. Made some tough throws and came through when it counted (even if it took a remarkable catch to get it done).
Daniel Jackson and Corey Crooms: Jackson is the star of the night, but Crooms showed early he can get open early and often. Autman-Bell was dressed, but didn't play. The WR room is deep and looks pretty strong.
The defense: I'll preface this by saying Sims looked like a worse passer than Leidner, but they were able to get after him. They allowed 10 points, and 7 of those came on a very short drive after a long kick return. That's a pretty good evening, considering their best LB and defensive signal called, Lindenberg did not play. The defense didn't deserve to lose that game, and I'm glad they didn't.
The atmosphere: Wow. What a night. I've been in the Bank for lots of games, but none of them felt like that, including Penn State in 2019. Students arrived early and stayed the whole game. I didn't have a seat, so I watched the whole game from the open end zone. That was packed. Would have been a lot more fun to blow them out, but a win's a win and you've got to chuckle about Nebraska firing Scott Frost for losing too many 1-score games, and then coming out and losing a 1-score game (that they easily should have won).
D_H

Post by D_H »

feekdogg wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:23 am Well.

First, the bad:

OL. Terrible night all around. I get that there's a lot of new pieces, but the most concerning part is that the left tackle (#69) had an awful, awful night. I only counted 6 guys that played on the OL for sure. They usually rotate in more. Either way, get things figured out and do it in a hurry.
RB-Tyler had a couple of nice runs, but he certainly did not look like a Big 10 feature back. I wouldn't bet on him leading the Gophers in rushing, but again, maybe the OL was why he didn't look great.
Special teams-Game-winner aside, the kick coverage to start the second half was bad. Roughing the kicker penalty can't happen when you've got them backed up to 4th and 22.
AK8. Terrible red-zone pick when you're driving. Just an awful, awful side-armed garbage throw. Receivers didn't do him lots of favors. Way too many drops, but he was inaccurate way too often.
Harbaugh/Simon. Whoever was calling plays. Ish. Especially questionable was when they were actually pushing the Huskers around and decided to run some cutesy WR reverse with Jackson. You do that when you're trying to get the defense off balance, not when you've already got them off balance.

The good:
AK8. Showed good mobility when under duress. Made some tough throws and came through when it counted (even if it took a remarkable catch to get it done).
Daniel Jackson and Corey Crooms: Jackson is the star of the night, but Crooms showed early he can get open early and often. Autman-Bell was dressed, but didn't play. The WR room is deep and looks pretty strong.
The defense: I'll preface this by saying Sims looked like a worse passer than Leidner, but they were able to get after him. They allowed 10 points, and 7 of those came on a very short drive after a long kick return. That's a pretty good evening, considering their best LB and defensive signal called, Lindenberg did not play. The defense didn't deserve to lose that game, and I'm glad they didn't.
The atmosphere: Wow. What a night. I've been in the Bank for lots of games, but none of them felt like that, including Penn State in 2019. Students arrived early and stayed the whole game. I didn't have a seat, so I watched the whole game from the open end zone. That was packed. Would have been a lot more fun to blow them out, but a win's a win and you've got to chuckle about Nebraska firing Scott Frost for losing too many 1-score games, and then coming out and losing a 1-score game (that they easily should have won).

There wasn’t any good — it was a disaster
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

First, the bad:

The good:
Unless it was a slant, AK couldn't seem to find anyone in the route. It was like he was always throwing at the last second to whomever was standing open. I don't know if he's thinking too much or too slowly, but he's much better throwing on the run when he's reacting rather than thinking. Not terribly impressed for a guy who's in his 3rd year with games under his belt.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Herky

Post by Herky »

Minnesota has a legit defense. That Nebraska QB won't be able to run like that all season in the Big Ten he will get killed.

Amazing catch to tie the game. Minnesota's QB made some great throws, but that INT was awful. He's young, however.

Hilarious to see Nebraska lose the same way they did under Frost. Fuck that program.

Sloppy win but it's a win. Lots to work on for Minnesota but they are 1-0 in conference. Need to run the ball better for sure.
Tundra Scout

Post by Tundra Scout »

Hornets wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:46 pm
Tundra Scout wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:44 pm Both teams look like 🤮
Think that's why teams usually like to schedule a cupcake or two before playing difficult league games. Both teams will probably look much different a month from now.
No doubt
hategreenticemase

First, the bad:

The good:
You nailed just about everything. Ol was very disappointing. Oh, and btw, thanks for reminding me for that ridiculous reverse we call in the goddamn red zone. Jesus fuck that shit drives me crazy.

Where was Autumn Bell?
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:19 pm

First, the bad:

The good:
You nailed just about everything. Ol was very disappointing. Oh, and btw, thanks for reminding me for that ridiculous reverse we call in the goddamn red zone. Jesus fuck that shit drives me crazy.

Where was Autumn Bell?
Autman Bell started. As far as I can tell, he was on the field for the first play, then never again. Probably a deal where PJ started him as a tip of the cap, then pulled him until they're sure he's 100% healthy.
Charles Bronson

Post by Charles Bronson »

D_H wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:07 am

First, the bad:

The good:

Trolling in and of itself is not against the rules. But spamming threads is. You’re walking a fine line here, D_H. Tread carefully. You will be under more scrutiny based on your history.
Audiences like to see the bad guys get their comeuppance.
hategreenticemase

feekdogg wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:41 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:19 pm

First, the bad:

The good:

Where was Autumn Bell?
Autman Bell started. As far as I can tell, he was on the field for the first play, then never again. Probably a deal where PJ started him as a tip of the cap, then pulled him until they're sure he's 100% healthy.
:thumbsup:
D_H

Post by D_H »

Charles Bronson wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:15 pm

First, the bad:

The good:

Trolling in and of itself is not against the rules. But spamming threads is. You’re walking a fine line here, D_H. Tread carefully. You will be under more scrutiny based on your history.
I can’t stand PJ and I thought they played terrible is that trolling?
Charles Bronson

D_H wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:37 pm
Charles Bronson wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:15 pm

I can’t stand PJ and I thought they played terrible is that trolling?
When you repeat it over and over, yes. And you know that.
Charles Bronson

You are absolutely 100% allowed to express your dislike of PJ and your opinion that the team played terribly. I want to make that clear. But you are not allowed to spam threads.

Spam is unnecessary, unwanted, or repetitive content that clogs inboxes and clutters social media feeds

Operative word for you there is “repetitive.”
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Couple of thoughts:

NEVAH apologize for a victory. We all would have loved a 24-10 "W" but gotta remember is was the first game and Nebraska has what appears to be a decent defense. 1-0 is a heckuva lot better than 0-1!

Athan had good moments and he had bad moments, but at this moment in time I am encouraged at what I have seen of him. Kid has a funny side arm throwing motion but it seems to work. I'd like to see a little better touch on his short throws, as he seemed to zip it a bit too hard on some really short passes, making it difficult for the receivers,

Our defense played great! When they needed it most, they made a big play!

Huskers should have run Sims even more than they did...guy is a breakaway run waiting to happen on just about any play. If he improves his passing a bit he's gonna be good...REALLY good.

I never knew that a defensive player could actually get a penalty just for clapping his hands!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Sportsrgreat

Post by Sportsrgreat »

Tough to start the season with a Big 10 game. Nebraska looked like they had a good defense and outplayed us most of the game.
Need to work on our run game is my biggest takeaway. 1-0. Never apologize for a win.
GopherGuy

Post by GopherGuy »

I'd like to see some more intermediate passing assuming the line can hold up. I know they've beaten slants like a dead horse over the years but man I was waiting for one. Something to get a guy into the second level with a little space to make an explosive play. The running game was terrible. Tyler doesn't seem like a between the tackles type of back. At least not at the Big Ten level. Why none of the toss sweeps like they have done at times versus certain matchups? Hopefully we see some Evans and more of Taylor.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

I've seen a lot of people asking where Evans was. My guess is that he's not nearly as good in pass protection as the guys that played in front of him. If they're going to throw the ball more, Bryce Williams is going to play more. He's not a dynamic runner, but he's about as good in pass protection as you can hope for from a RB.