Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Go on record: What will Rudy's long range game look like this year?

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
OliverMiller

Go on record: What will Rudy's long range game look like this year?

Post by OliverMiller »

3 point attempts per game and % for the year.

It's not only the videos of him hitting 3s, but he's shooting 81% from the free throw line so far (only 32 attempts).

Yes, I'm bored at work
Beef Supreme

Re: Go on record: What will Rudy's long range game look like this year?

Post by Beef Supreme »

Unlikely he has one.

Increased FT% would be a positive, though,

I'm way, way more concerned about him getting back near a defensive MVP level of play. He was an average defender last year; not close to good enough to off-set his offensive deficiencies.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
PanicWolf

Post by PanicWolf »

Shut this thread down and put it in the warehouse where the Indiana Jones lost ark is.
Lightning
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by Lightning »

it will look like this:

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

I'll guess 0-2 for the season.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
twolves31

Post by twolves31 »

I wouldn't be surprised if he shoots 5 or so threes this season, but I would be surprised if he made one. He has taken 4, 4, and 3 the past three seasons. Would love to see him hit a game winning dagger from 3 in the playoffs on a broken play, that would be pretty epic.
T_J

Post by T_J »

0-0.
VikingHammer

Post by VikingHammer »

Hopefully he doesn't attempt any
***** Board warning issued on Oct 02 2023. Used the term "safe space" :irked:

You voted for a traitor not once but twice. Apologize to every American. :lol:
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

I am expecting nothing in terms of long range shooting. I agree with Beef that I would like to see him make a larger defensive impact on the interior and for team defense as a whole.

I would like Gobert and the team to be able to secure more defensive rebounds and deter opportunistic offensive rebounders. If the Wolves can just move to average in defensive rebounding the team could make big strides in the win/loss column. Hopefully his back issues are behind him and he's ready for a bounce back season.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

I say he launches one per game and makes 3 total for the season. Ridiculousness.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

I hope he isn’t out shooting any. Play like a big man. We already have Carls big ass standing out there doing that.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

irishman89 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:52 pm I say he launches one per game and makes 3 total for the season. Ridiculousness.
3-82 would be pretty bad.

- Isaac Asimov
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

The more I think about it, the more my mind starts to wander.

We know they want the Towns/Gobert combo to work. We know they’ll inevitably have mismatches they want to take advantage of inside. We know Gobert is mostly limited to oops and put backs in the post. If they’re both in the post the lane gets clogged, Towns gets doubled and cutters have no room.

Gobert hasn’t shown anything from the perimeter that would make anyone fear his abilities outside the arc. They’d be right to play off him.

So…do they let him toss one up on occasion early in the season to see where it goes? I’m not even talking one per game, but specific instances where things line up to give an opportunity. If it’s really fucking ugly, they toss it out and never look back.
T_J

Post by T_J »

SHAFA wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:21 am The more I think about it, the more my mind starts to wander.

We know they want the Towns/Gobert combo to work. We know they’ll inevitably have mismatches they want to take advantage of inside. We know Gobert is mostly limited to oops and put backs in the post. If they’re both in the post the lane gets clogged, Towns gets doubled and cutters have no room.

Gobert hasn’t shown anything from the perimeter that would make anyone fear his abilities outside the arc. They’d be right to play off him.

So…do they let him toss one up on occasion early in the season to see where it goes? I’m not even talking one per game, but specific instances where things line up to give an opportunity. If it’s really fucking ugly, they toss it out and never look back.
Please fucking no. He’s attempted 14 in his career. Don’t even plant the idea in his head that he has a shade off of a red light.

He’s bad enough around the paint trying to do anything other than dunk…any shot elsewhere is a win for the defense as they don’t even have to look at it and can just rebound 5-4. Plus other teams are just gonna leak a guard out since the biggest threat for an offensive rebound is gonna be standing somewhere on the perimeter. Dunk city the other way.

No.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

T_J wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:13 am
SHAFA wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:21 am The more I think about it, the more my mind starts to wander.

Please fucking no. He’s attempted 14 in his career. Don’t even plant the idea in his head that he has a shade off of a red light.

He’s bad enough around the paint trying to do anything other than dunk…any shot elsewhere is a win for the defense as they don’t even have to look at it and can just rebound 5-4. Plus other teams are just gonna leak a guard out since the biggest threat for an offensive rebound is gonna be standing somewhere on the perimeter. Dunk city the other way.

No.
:lol:

My head...goes places during the off-season.
T_J

Post by T_J »

SHAFA wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:00 am
T_J wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:13 am

No.
:lol:

My head...goes places during the off-season.
My Rudy disdain came spewing out there a bit also.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Brook Lopez 2.0!
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

I love how Rudy goes from not being able to handle a basketball with two hands to shooting three pointers and nothing in between. Develop a hook shot and a little post game first Maybe dude. Still perplexed how he never learned how to shoot a ball whatsoever until 2 weeks ago.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

irishman89 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:31 pm I love how Rudy goes from not being able to handle a basketball with two hands to shooting three pointers and nothing in between. Develop a hook shot and a little post game first Maybe dude. Still perplexed how he never learned how to shoot a ball whatsoever until 2 weeks ago.
he has really wasted his potential in that regard.

but actually the ONLY thing i want to hear about Rudy over the next few weeks is that he doesn't pull some monumentally boneheaded blunder like forcefully trying to stop an Ant dunk in FIBA play - and winds up creating season ending injuries for both of them. That, unfortunately, does seem like a possibility in the Gobert playbook - and solidly on course if you're a long suffering Wolves fan.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

This really looks like its a thing. I could easily see 2-3 wide open kick out attempts per game, and I’m all for it :beer:
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

So this allows KAT an inside game?
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

LordNu wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:57 am So this allows KAT an inside game?
In theory it would help. It would take out a lot of the incompatibility those two suffer from. It would also help him tremendously in pick and roll game with Edwards or Conley.

Honestly, any time any player adds to his game, that’s good. I don’t think anyone wouldn’t like Gobert to add a 3pt shot. I think many of us just don’t believe it. It would be remarkable and kind of unprecedented for a guy to go from a complete non-shooter to a guy who can contribute from beyond the arc at age 31. Maybe he can hit some in the gym. But maybe he’s always been able to do that. IDK… But there’s a difference between gym shooting and game shooting.

I think the skepticism comes from how Gobert is such a clunky guy on the court. For him to suddenly, on the back-9 of his career, become a smooth shooter from the arc (and ft line) after struggling there his whole career seems like fool’s gold based on a few practice clips.

But if it were true, yeah…. It would solve some problems.

- Isaac Asimov
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

Maybe Gobert finds 1 or 2 spots from distance where he can launch it from if open. I obviously have my doubts but I don't think it's impossible. He doesn't have a slow release and with the attention other players will garner, he's going to get some looks.

If the he finds himself taking 1 or 2 a game, it wouldn't be the worst thing as long as the rest of the team is attacking the glass and not playing lazy.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:59 am
In theory it would help. It would take out a lot of the incompatibility those two suffer from. It would also help him tremendously in pick and roll game with Edwards or Conley.

Honestly, any time any player adds to his game, that’s good. I don’t think anyone wouldn’t like Gobert to add a 3pt shot. I think many of us just don’t believe it. It would be remarkable and kind of unprecedented for a guy to go from a complete non-shooter to a guy who can contribute from beyond the arc at age 31. Maybe he can hit some in the gym. But maybe he’s always been able to do that. IDK… But there’s a difference between gym shooting and game shooting.

I think the skepticism comes from how Gobert is such a clunky guy on the court. For him to suddenly, on the back-9 of his career, become a smooth shooter from the arc (and ft line) after struggling there his whole career seems like fool’s gold based on a few practice clips.

Brook Lopez would be the closest example. Sure doesn't happen regularly. but Lopez was an 8 year vet - with a total record from three of 3-17 at that point. and then in his ninth year, at age 29 (i think) he started shooting them regularly with fairly good results.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:41 am

Brook Lopez would be the closest example. Sure doesn't happen regularly. but Lopez was an 8 year vet - with a total record from three of 3-17 at that point. and then in his ninth year, at age 29 (i think) he started shooting them regularly with fairly good results.
Not a perfect example because Lopez was actually a good mid range shooter his entire career.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

flexbuffchest wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:53 am
somuchyummy wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:41 am

Not a perfect example because Lopez was actually a good mid range shooter his entire career.
Free throws too. He was always around 80%. Rudy is in the low 60s most years. Brook was an good shooter who added range. Gobert is a bricklayer. If he turns that around, fantastic! But I think skepticism is reasonable.

- Isaac Asimov
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

I doubt the French coach even let Rudy shoot a 3! :roll:

Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:32 am I doubt the French coach even let Rudy shoot a 3! :roll:

This is what happens when you cage the lion!

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:32 am I doubt the French coach even let Rudy shoot a 3! :roll:

Rudy had 9pts/7rbs/3stl/2blk. A decent overall game, but not a lot of offensive impact. He was 0/0 from 3 :lol:

Encouragingly, he was 7/8 from the ft line.

You’d hope your NBA star could step up an do a little more in a close loss to a undermanned underdog, but Rudy just isn’t that kind of player.

- Isaac Asimov