Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Teh New Big 10

A place to discuss Gopher Spots
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Teh New Big 10

Post by RubeTube »

Too bad the football team took about 100 years to become relevant and the basketball team has slipped down the shitter because I see no way how the Gophers who already can’t keep up with the Wisconsins and Iowas, are going to stand any chance with teams like UCLA and USC being added and now Oregon and Washington are coming. Now there are rumors that it could be possible that Clemson and FSU could be on the way.

You better enjoy the Fruit Of The Loom Skid Mark Bowl in Minot North Dakota.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Bob Wiley

Re: Teh New Big 10

Post by Bob Wiley »

The Big18!
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Being able to win at a high level aside, this is all just so dumb. Oh boy, I'm sure pumped up for that Washington vs. Maryland conference matchup. People will adjust and eventually get used to it, but the best thing about college football was the regional aspect of it. And when you add in so many teams, you can't play everyone. When USC plays here next year, they'll have played more games in Huntington Bank Stadium than Indiana has.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

College sports are killing themselves, they just haven't figured it out yet.
Let's get Tropical
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:11 am Too bad the football team took about 100 years to become relevant and the basketball team has slipped down the shitter because I see no way how the Gophers who already can’t keep up with the Wisconsins and Iowas, are going to stand any chance with teams like UCLA and USC being added and now Oregon and Washington are coming. Now there are rumors that it could be possible that Clemson and FSU could be on the way.

No one was choosing MN over USC or UCLA before and that's not going to change just because of a conference change. With that:

-UCLA has gone 129-115 since 2003, finishing a season ranked twice while going 5-9 in mostly mediocre bowl games.
-Minnesota was 131-117 since 2003, finishing a season ranked twice and going 9-7 in mostly mediocre bowl games.
-The one Outback bowl might be the only game of significance between the two.
-I'd argue the BT has been the tougher conference during that time frame but I'm willing to call it even.

USC is obviously the far bigger animal.
The Lizard King

Post by The Lizard King »

Slap Shot wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:04 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:11 am Too bad the football team took about 100 years to become relevant and the basketball team has slipped down the shitter because I see no way how the Gophers who already can’t keep up with the Wisconsins and Iowas, are going to stand any chance with teams like UCLA and USC being added and now Oregon and Washington are coming. Now there are rumors that it could be possible that Clemson and FSU could be on the way.

No one was choosing MN over USC or UCLA before and that's not going to change just because of a conference change. With that:

-UCLA has gone 129-115 since 2003, finishing a season ranked twice while going 5-9 in mostly mediocre bowl games.
-Minnesota was 131-117 since 2003, finishing a season ranked twice and going 9-7 in mostly mediocre bowl games.
-The one Outback bowl might be the only game of significance between the two.
-I'd argue the BT has been the tougher conference during that time frame but I'm willing to call it even.

USC is obviously the far bigger animal.
This guy gets it.

"If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first." - KDC
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

And nobody is factoring in Oregon and WASH which I mentioned, two moar programs that are better.

Then there is talk of going to 20 and Clemson and FSU have been talked about and some have talked about Note Dame… Yikes.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

feekdogg wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:00 am Being able to win at a high level aside, this is all just so dumb. Oh boy, I'm sure pumped up for that Washington vs. Maryland conference matchup. People will adjust and eventually get used to it, but the best thing about college football was the regional aspect of it. And when you add in so many teams, you can't play everyone. When USC plays here next year, they'll have played more games in Huntington Bank Stadium than Indiana has.
It's completely asinine. I can't stand how college athletics has changed. Maybe I'm too old school, but it's just nauseating all tradition is being lost.
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

Is it not driven by tv contracts? Much like Big 10 hockey.

Between the new transfer rules, teams moving from one conference to another, and now the kids can make money, College sports are just a different level of pro sports. It is all about the money more then ever before.

Fans are going to watch there teams. I dont think there will be any major fan backlash as there was with gopher hockey. That was a head scratcher for a few years.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

The Lizard King

Post by The Lizard King »

Since USC is now in the B1G...

8 Heisman winners -- the most of any school.
"If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first." - KDC