Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***Official Minnesota Wild pre-season Thread***

A place to discuss the MN Wild
mnbob70

Re: ***Official Minnesota Wild pre-season Thread***

Post by mnbob70 »

By Michael Russo and Joe Smith Sep 28, 2023 The Athletic

ST. PAUL, Minn. — The Minnesota Wild improved to 2-1 in the preseason and 8-2 in the past two preseasons with a 4-2 victory over the Colorado Avalanche on Thursday.

Kirill Kaprizov, who followed up his 2021 Calder Trophy winner with back-to-back 40-goal seasons, got things started 32 seconds into the first period. He later iced the game with an empty-netter thanks to the second helper of the game from pal Mats Zuccarello.

Alex Goligoski and Jonas Brodin also chipped in goals. Marc-Andre Fleury went the distance with 25 saves.

The Wild host the Chicago Blackhawks on Saturday night and then are expected to cut the roster by as many as 20 players before heading to Duluth for a two-day bonding trip.

Here are the key takeaways from the game from Wild writers Michael Russo and Joe Smith:

How did Marco Rossi look?
Really good. Much better than the first preseason game Tuesday in Dallas. Rossi was a play-driver from the start, including creating a two-on-one rush in the first period by walking an Avalanche defenseman. He was strong on the puck, making a crafty pass to himself off the back of the net before finding linemate Freddy Gaudreau in front. Rossi even got a penalty shot in the second period, though he wasn’t able to convert. You could see where his offseason revamping of his stride and putting on muscle shows up in his game. He finished with five shots. — Smith

How did the roster hopefuls look?
Really good, too. Jujhar Khaira, on a line with Rossi and Gaudreau, played a third consecutive game and had two shots, one of which was from point-blank range (but he got stoned). If the Wild carry a 13th forward if healthy out of training camp, which is still a longshot, he probably has the edge over Vinni Lettieri, who had another good exhibition game. After scoring the winning goal in Colorado, Lettieri had two assists, including a puck-battle win that led to Goligoski’s goal, plus three shots and three hits. — Russo

What’s the early vibe on Faber-Brodin?
Pretty smooth so far. This was rookie Brock Faber’s first exhibition game as defensive partner for Brodin. The Wild are putting a lot on Faber’s shoulders, asking him to step into a top-four role right away, but it’s clear the former Gophers captain isn’t intimidated by the moment. It’s hard to gauge their performance since the Avalanche brought a very young lineup (not Nathan MacKinnon & Co.), but there were some good early signs. They’re both gifted skaters, and Faber’s work on puck-moving this summer is apparent. Brodin can be a security blanket for Faber, who could go through some growing pains, like when he got caught in a pinch in the first period, leading to a breakaway. Said Faber, “Probably one of the easiest guys you could ever play with.” — Smith

Turning point of the game
With the Wild clinging to a 2-1 lead late in the second, Brodin, making his preseason debut, ripped a shot off the end boards that ricocheted back into the crease and in for a needed two-goal lead. That would become the winner once Blaine native Riley Tufte scored late in the third period.

Quote of the night
“Probably one of the best games we’ve seen.” — Wild coach Dean Evason on Rossi’s performance.

Three stars
1. Kirill Kaprizov, Wild: The Wild sniper scored the game’s first goal, had two first-period breakaways, an empty-net goal and finished with six shots.

2. Brock Faber, Wild: Making his home preseason debut, the Wild’s second-pair defenseman looked the part and had two assists.

3. Vinni Lettieri, Wild: The roster hopeful had another terrific game with two assists, two shots and three hits.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Any word on the likelihood of Sammy and Vinny making the roster?
mnbob70

Post by mnbob70 »

They don't have enough cap space for Sammy to make the opening day roster.
DMB

Post by DMB »

Zucc signs 2 year extension-4.1mil/per.
Semper Fi
DMB

Post by DMB »

Russo reporting Foligno extended 4 years 4mil/per.
Semper Fi
Jaamz

Post by Jaamz »

DMB wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:20 pm Russo reporting Foligno extended 4 years 4mil/per.
yuck!
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Jaamz wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:32 pm
DMB wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:20 pm Russo reporting Foligno extended 4 years 4mil/per.
yuck!
Not a big fan of either of the extensions, especially Marco's.....it's 2 years too long imo
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

I don't love the Zucc deal but it's far more acceptable than Foligno. That dude is already on the decline and even with a supposed increase of the cap this is going to hurt keeping younger talent.
DMB

Post by DMB »

Slap Shot wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:11 am I don't love the Zucc deal but it's far more acceptable than Foligno. That dude is already on the decline and even with a supposed increase of the cap this is going to hurt keeping younger talent.
I think Foligno has at least 2-3 good years left. I think he was hurt most of last year. His Brother still playing at a reasonably high level and he's 3 years older. I think if the younger talent forces the issue-it's a good problem to have.
Semper Fi
mnbob70

Post by mnbob70 »

Foligno deal at 2 years would be good, 3 acceptable, but 4 years is too many.
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

DMB wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:57 am
Slap Shot wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:11 am I don't love the Zucc deal but it's far more acceptable than Foligno. That dude is already on the decline and even with a supposed increase of the cap this is going to hurt keeping younger talent.
I think Foligno has at least 2-3 good years left. I think he was hurt most of last year. His Brother still playing at a reasonably high level and he's 3 years older. I think if the younger talent forces the issue-it's a good problem to have.
I love both players. Everybody does. But I'm probably more concerned about Zucc's deal. He didn't have a very good second half of last year. Of course, Thrill was nicked, too. And those two guys are magic together. But, if both Zucc and Moose can play requisite games over the terms of their contracts, it'll be a relative bargain.
mnbob70

Post by mnbob70 »

Hartman 3 years 12 million
DMB

Post by DMB »

mnbob70 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:16 pm Hartman 3 years 12 million
:thumbsup:
Semper Fi
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

So this org is trying to average closer to 30-plus in age.
DMB

Post by DMB »

Angry Waters wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:46 am
DMB wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:57 am
I love both players. Everybody does. But I'm probably more concerned about Zucc's deal. He didn't have a very good second half of last year. Of course, Thrill was nicked, too. And those two guys are magic together. But, if both Zucc and Moose can play requisite games over the terms of their contracts, it'll be a relative bargain.
Zucc's swan song contract-I'm OK with it.
Semper Fi