Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Naz Reid Back - 3 years, $42 million

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
weimy froob

Re: Naz Reid Back - 3 years, $42 million

Post by weimy froob »

Butch Bradford wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:39 pm
:lol: :clap: :coolio:
T_J

Post by T_J »

I wonder if he had offers anywhere else for similar with a better shot at minutes. Or if there was a wink wink, there’ll be plenty of minutes here for this dollar amount, if you catch my…drift.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Mnwild1128 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:07 pm
witljon wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:29 pm
shoteh wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:21 pm Was hoping for closer to 12 but 14 ain't too bad especially since we don't have to start over with a new guy. We need more consistency and this is it.
Yeah, 14 ain’t too bad, but I feel his numbers were inflated because of Towns absence. Naz took advantage of a golden opportunity. The deal is good for him and good for the Wolves.
Yeah but imagine what his numbers would be on a team like the Spurs where he is getting 30 minutes per night. He could easily average 18/7/1.5
Maybe, but going against starters would not be as easy for him as bench players.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Small Hands wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:25 pm

Yeah… he definitely didn’t give us a discount. That’s about as high as I’d want to go for him. Hopefully, this spells a Towns trade. Cross your fingers that Portland buckles and gives us Scoot.
That would be best case IMO. Thing is, they need to match salaries. Scoot should be about 9 mil this year, they would have to match about 25-27 million give or take. Would they part with Simon or Grant to match? (Not sure if Grant is even under contract.)
Either way, don't give up picks, get as much back as you can. Either way, a Towns for Scoot seems like the best way forward.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

T_J wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:45 am I wonder if he had offers anywhere else for similar with a better shot at minutes. Or if there was a wink wink, there’ll be plenty of minutes here for this dollar amount, if you catch my…drift.
Just as long as it's not a Joe Smith deal. I think Towns would be okay with this move. He knows he isn't the alpha dog here anymore, and going to Dame time would give him a reason to accept his sidekick position. My only problem with this, (if healthy) we would see him 4 times a year, and we all know how those things turn out. Or, maybe he is as soft as they say and we can count on 4 wins. :mute:
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Mplsfonz wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:54 am
T_J wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:45 am I wonder if he had offers anywhere else for similar with a better shot at minutes. Or if there was a wink wink, there’ll be plenty of minutes here for this dollar amount, if you catch my…drift.
Just as long as it's not a Joe Smith deal. I think Towns would be okay with this move. He knows he isn't the alpha dog here anymore, and going to Dame time would give him a reason to accept his sidekick position. My only problem with this, (if healthy) we would see him 4 times a year, and we all know how those things turn out. Or, maybe he is as soft as they say and we can count on 4 wins. :mute:
Playing time is never guaranteed, so I don't see anything that they could nip us on.
The problem with the Joe Smith deal was the assurances of future money because we couldn't afford to pay him in year one what he expected, which is a problem.

Since we had Naz's right, we could pay him whatever he needed in order to justify him passing over FA, so there's no CBA circumventing.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Towns has never had a problem accepting a secondary or complimentary role. In the Butler year, he was third on the team in FGA/game (behind Buckets and Wiggins), despite being far and away the most efficient offensive player of the 3. If he wanted to make noise about that he could have and would have had an argument. But he didn't. No reason he won't be perfectly content in that role behind Edwards. Or, for the sake of the Portland trade fantasy, Dame.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:10 am
Playing time is never guaranteed, so I don't see anything that they could nip us on.
The problem with the Joe Smith deal was the assurances of future money because we couldn't afford to pay him in year one what he expected, which is a problem.

Since we had Naz's right, we could pay him whatever he needed in order to justify him passing over FA, so there's no CBA circumventing.
I was referring to the quote wink-wink deal with Portland. I don't think any GM would be as dumb as those who put a wink-wink deal in writing like Taylor did.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:27 am
Towns has never had a problem accepting a secondary or complimentary role. In the Butler year, he was third on the team in FGA/game (behind Buckets and Wiggins), despite being far and away the most efficient offensive player of the 3. If he wanted to make noise about that he could have and would have had an argument. But he didn't. No reason he won't be perfectly content in that role behind Edwards. Or, for the sake of the Portland trade fantasy, Dame.
I can agree with that. At the time of the Butthead era, I think he forced his will on Towns, and Towns was only a young player still. Once Butt left, I think he felt it was his team considering the size of the contract. Again, I could be wro...Wroooon....Wrong, just seems like he enjoys being the leader. Maybe all the games missed, he may have accepted his role as second. The Rudy trade forcing him to a different position could have felt like a slap too.
Who knows? But I tried like hell to wait on Towns, but after the core of Wiggins/LaVine and Towns broke up, seems like he doesn't have the fire to lead. Just my humble 2 cents.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Mplsfonz wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:31 am
Oriole81 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:10 am
Mplsfonz wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:54 am Just as long as it's not a Joe Smith deal. I think Towns would be okay with this move. He knows he isn't the alpha dog here anymore, and going to Dame time would give him a reason to accept his sidekick position. My only problem with this, (if healthy) we would see him 4 times a year, and we all know how those things turn out. Or, maybe he is as soft as they say and we can count on 4 wins. :mute:

I was referring to the quote wink-wink deal with Portland. I don't think any GM would be as dumb as those who put a wink-wink deal in writing like Taylor did.
I get what you guys were trying to say, but even if they told him they had a deal in place as an enticement, that wouldn't be against any rules.
Heck, even putting in writing wouldn't be against any rules in this case as the CBA mentions nothing about playing time.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

I am shocked he didn't test the market at this point.... he must truly like it here though and told his agent let's just do this and see what happens. Two years 28 mil ain't bad for the next two seasons and he can decide to test the market then if he wants to.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

28 million dollars "ain't bad". :lol:

The absurdity of pro athlete salaries.
T_J

Post by T_J »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:00 am
I am shocked he didn't test the market at this point.... he must truly like it here though and told his agent let's just do this and see what happens. Two years 28 mil ain't bad for the next two seasons and he can decide to test the market then if he wants to.
Yeah, I would have thought he’d want a more obvious larger role for similar money so he can get a bigger deal in a couple years. Right now he’s a sometimes starter, but obviously 3rd on the depth chart.

Maybe he just truly loves Sota, or he knows one of our high priced centers will be gone in a year. They opened the Hoop Collective talking Naz today actually.
Mnwild1128

Post by Mnwild1128 »

Heard a call camw down to Connely from Glenn and or the other partial owners to get Reid signed now before free agency. Since both sides were still millions off even after the draft. I do not like this meddling by ownership. Even if it meant keeping a player that i like and wanted to keep. If true this is two moves that i am pretty certain were made by the ownership collection. They must have known Connely was a simp/beta personality that they could hire and force to do their biddings. I couldn't be more disgusted.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Any chance this was his market? He’s a decent player but sports message boards fans tend to overrate their teams players.

He’s not a starter on a good team at least as of yet. Decent player that has shown some promise to get better but I do understand that the NBA overpays a lot of bums.

I honestly don’t care about keeping him or letting him go if it doesn’t involve Carl. I like keeping Reid for a way cheaper price and moving on from Carl but if they keep Carl long term. this isn’t much of a factor to me.

Secondly to the people saying we can trade Naz at the deadline, his value can’t be much. A 2nd rounder? A very low end 1st at the very best?

I hope they move Towns and keep Reid but Towns better not get hurt again this year or his value will be at an all time low especially with his big bucks kicking in.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Mnwild1128

Post by Mnwild1128 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:23 pm Any chance this was his market? He’s a decent player but sports message boards fans tend to overrate their teams players.

He’s not a starter on a good team at least as of yet. Decent player that has shown some promise to get better but I do understand that the NBA overpays a lot of bums.

I honestly don’t care about keeping him or letting him go if it doesn’t involve Carl. I like keeping Reid for a way cheaper price and moving on from Carl but if they keep Carl long term. this isn’t much of a factor to me.

Secondly to the people saying we can trade Naz at the deadline, his value can’t be much. A 2nd rounder? A very low end 1st at the very best?

I hope they move Towns and keep Reid but Towns better not get hurt again this year or his value will be at an all time low especially with his big bucks kicking in.
Players worse than him were going for 3 to 5...... 2nd round picks at last years deadline. It was a record deadline for 2nd rounders moved. I think a lotto protected first is even possible and likely for him. That is my unbiased opinion based on historical evidence of current nba players. I always try to aim at fair values for players on my teams.

The MLE cap was at 12.4 million. We offered him almost 500k above that to retain him. Rounded up for 2023 it comes to 13 million. But is closer to 12.8 or 12.9
Falen's Boyfriend

Post by Falen's Boyfriend »

After the Naz signing, the Wolves tweeted a montage of people simply saying "Naz Reid." The montage included the head coach, Grady, Jim Pete, Ant, Rudy, and other Wolves players. Noticeably absent was KAT.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

If given the choice between Naz & Vucevic who would my fellow Rubes go with?

If given the choice between Naz with a 3yr/42 million or Vucevic with a 3/year 60 million, who would my fellow Rubes go with?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Naz.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
T_J

Post by T_J »

Naz.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

^^^^

Agreed - I'm hesitant to call the Gobert move a bust because when the Wolves win at least one Championship in the next couple of years, that argument disappears.

Aside from that huge move, Khanley should be applauded for the team friendly contracts he's been getting players to commit to.
Silversword

Post by Silversword »

Question: where did the $ that we used for this contract come from? We're over the cap, we didn't have bird rights for NAZ, and we didn't use the mid-level exception, so how were we able to pull this off? Is there some other exception rule I'm missing?
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

Silversword wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:28 pm Question: where did the $ that we used for this contract come from? We're over the cap, we didn't have bird rights for NAZ, and we didn't use the mid-level exception, so how were we able to pull this off? Is there some other exception rule I'm missing?
I thought we did have Bird rights on him.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

aztimberwolves wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:48 pm
Silversword wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:28 pm Question: where did the $ that we used for this contract come from? We're over the cap, we didn't have bird rights for NAZ, and we didn't use the mid-level exception, so how were we able to pull this off? Is there some other exception rule I'm missing?
I thought we did have Bird rights on him.
Same. Not sure why they wouldn't have Bird rights on him.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

They've had Naz for 4 seasons, so they did have his bird rights. 3 or less for the CBA I think they don't manifest. Which is probably why they signed him to a 4 year deal initially. It's a little weird for an undrafted free agent.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Less than 3 seasons I think I just read it was. So once you hit 3 seasons, they have his bird rights.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Silversword

Post by Silversword »

YBBR wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:17 pm They've had Naz for 4 seasons, so they did have his bird rights. 3 or less for the CBA I think they don't manifest. Which is probably why they signed him to a 4 year deal initially. It's a little weird for an undrafted free agent.
Thanks. I thought undrafted players (and second round players) didn't earn bird rights, but I think you're right about 4-year players earning bird rights... hadn't thought of that.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:18 pm If given the choice between Naz & Vucevic who would my fellow Rubes go with?

If given the choice between Naz with a 3yr/42 million or Vucevic with a 3/year 60 million, who would my fellow Rubes go with?
I think Minnesota, as well as Chicago, would choose the Naz value. Vuc is no slouch, however. He's just on a poorly constructed roster, and always has been.
shuttlesworth

Post by shuttlesworth »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:18 pm If given the choice between Naz & Vucevic who would my fellow Rubes go with?

Interesting question. Vuc is a better player in a vacuum, but he's 32, on the decline, and makes $6 million more per year than Naz. And on the Wolves specifically, Naz is a better fit - he's light enough to play some 4, whereas Vuc is a true 5 who would probably be a more awkward fit with Towns and/or Gobert. So I think Naz is a pretty easy call here.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

shuttlesworth wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:22 pm

Interesting question. Vuc is a better player in a vacuum, but he's 32, on the decline, and makes $6 million more per year than Naz. And on the Wolves specifically, Naz is a better fit - he's light enough to play some 4, whereas Vuc is a true 5 who would probably be a more awkward fit with Towns and/or Gobert. So I think Naz is a pretty easy call here.
Naz is also still on the upswing. He's added a few key pieces to his game since he was signed. He's got in much better shape to show off his athleticism and lateral quickness. His handle is straight up filthy now compared to where it was. Allowing him to get to wherever he wants to go. That's pretty rare for a 5 that can handle like him. His defense and rim protection have improved, too.

I feel like his 3-point shooting has stagnated a bit. If he can improve his shot continually, he's a stud.