Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Listen to Yankees announcer John Sterling getting nailed in the forehead by a foul ball

MLB Chat
weimy froob

Listen to Yankees announcer John Sterling getting nailed in the forehead by a foul ball

Post by weimy froob »

New York Yankees play-by-play announcer John Sterling is nothing if not a professional.

The longtime Yankees radio voice was struck in the line of duty Saturday during a night game against the Boston Red Sox. With Yankees reliever Clay Holmes on the mound to close out a 3-1 win, Red Sox designated hitter Justin Turner racked up a full count then hit a pop up foul directly behind home plate.

Sterling, who was working without his usual partner Suzyn Waldman, called the play all the way up to the ball striking him in the forehead, and soldiered on to finish the game. You pretty much have to hear him reacting to the impact in real time:

weimy froob

Re: Listen to Yankees announcer John Sterling getting nailed in the forehead by a foul ball

Post by weimy froob »

i'll just put this here.

weimy froob

Re: Listen to Yankees announcer John Sterling getting nailed in the forehead by a foul ball

Post by weimy froob »

i'll put this here. schadenfreude in play.

Stumbling Yankees lose seventh straight game: 'We're sick animals in a lot of ways'

Hours after manager Aaron Boone’s Friday night postgame address to his team about accountability, and playing “with that little chip on your shoulder,’’ the Yankees collected two hits against Boston starter Kutter Crawford and two relievers.

“I know it’s a boring answer … but we’ve got to try to win a ballgame (Sunday) and expect when we walk in those doors (that) today’s the day,’’ said Boone, irritated.

“That’s how we look at it. That’s how we are. We’re sick animals in a lot of ways.’’
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

The Yankees battled back and forth with the Red Sox all game long, eventually losing 6-5 on Sunday for their eighth straight loss. Their longest losing streak since August 1995.
Miley Cyrus

Post by Miley Cyrus »

Jorge Posada will be the bench boss in the Bronx come next year. Not even Sergeant Rubetube sports could break this soon enough.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

James Smyth
@JamesSmyth621
Yankees 3 outs away from their first 9-game losing streak since September 13-21, 1982

Every other team has had a streak that long since 2004

Longest Stretch Since Last 9-Game Losing Streak
Yankees September 1982
Spoiler:
they lost.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Longtime voice of Yankees John Sterling is retiring, effective immediately

dude is 85 years old and is leaving because of health concerns. being honored on saturday. my guess is the big C.

https://sports.yahoo.com/longtime-voice ... 18064.html
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Derek Jeter
@derekjeter
Congrats to John Sterling on an amazing career. I’ve had the pleasure of listening to and working with John for decades. He is a major part of Yankee history and will be greatly missed.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

just heard this on the radio broadcast. john sterling called every one of derek jeter's ABs. that is hard to believe when you see how much time the twins radio broadcasters take off during the season. gladden has been off for this whole road trip (not that i care about that. paul molitor is in the booth and he's much better listen for me.)