Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

PGA Tour agrees to merge with Saudi-backed rival LIV Golf

Dan33185

PGA Tour agrees to merge with Saudi-backed rival LIV Golf

Post by Dan33185 »

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/06/06/pga-tou ... -golf.html
The PGA Tour has agreed to merge with Saudi-backed rival LIV Golf in a deal that would see the competitors squash pending litigation and move forward as a larger golf enterprise.

The two entities signed an agreement that would combine the PGA Tour’s and LIV Golf’s commercial businesses and rights into a new, yet-to-be-named for-profit company. The agreement includes DP World Tour, also known as the PGA European Tour.
weimy froob

Re: PGA Tour agrees to merge with Saudi-backed rival LIV Golf

Post by weimy froob »

jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Hey-oh!
Let's get Tropical
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

How pissed are the guys that stuck with the PGA?
Let's get Tropical
rubechick

Post by rubechick »

I’m not a golfer, nor golf fan for that matter, but this seems really shitty. Right?? Are golf fans ok with this?
Spoiler:
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

rubechick wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:02 pm I’m not a golfer, nor golf fan for that matter, but this seems really shitty. Right?? Are golf fans ok with this?
As a fan I'm ok with it. I'm sure there are several PGA players who are a bit upset that they turned down big money to remain loyal, but my guess is that EVERYONE will benefit going forward as prize money surely will increase. I want to see guys like Koepka and DeChambeau competing in more events and now it appears we'll get that...
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Post by WannaBeProGolferGuy »

rubechick wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:02 pm I’m not a golfer, nor golf fan for that matter, but this seems really shitty. Right?? Are golf fans ok with this?
I love it and think golf will be awesome in 7-9 years from now. ! From my understanding, this merger combines LIV, the PGA Tour, and the DP Tour ( the European Tour). If all goes well, then the best players from LIV, the PGA Tour, and DP Tour would play 1 schedule with worldwide events thus growing the game.
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

who really gives a fuck.
As a golfer I dont really pay attention to pro golf other then the majors. It might be on TV at other times, but I could not tell you who won on Sunday.

As a person that does marketing for golf courses, it is interesting hearing all the locals guys takes.
The one constant I hear is the PGA could/should do a lot more for all local golf to grow the game.
The next Tiger Woods might never happen to push people into the game.
One of the biggest growth movements the last 3 years has been couples golf nights. Lots of spouses picked up the clubs. So many courses are having couples night, 9 holes with dinner. They normally get booked up.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

PGA Tour goes full hypocrite in its merger with LIV Golf
In merging with LIV Golf, the PGA Tour delivered the ultimate betrayal, a secretly negotiated sucker punch to its own players.

https://sports.yahoo.com/pga-tour-goes- ... 38579.html
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Wonder if they'll blare music at the events now, just as LIV has.....and I actually kind of like that!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

Players pretty pissed because they basically have no idea what the future is since there were no details given.

In listening to the golf channel, reading a few stories, it seems LIV basically held a gun to the PGA's head.
LIV was going to make them spend millions in court. They had no choice but to cave in.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out and what it all looks like. I dont know what they can do to increase viewership or attendance to events. Many, like our 3M Open are basically free events. They give away so many tickets.

Reading the comments on various social media pages is a laugher. Many proving why the game has a bad rap.
Demanding their course remove any connection to the PGA!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Sellingguy wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:47 pm who really gives a fuck.
As a golfer I dont really pay attention to pro golf other then the majors. It might be on TV at other times, but I could not tell you who won on Sunday.

As a person that does marketing for golf courses, it is interesting hearing all the locals guys takes.
The one constant I hear is the PGA could/should do a lot more for all local golf to grow the game.
One of the biggest growth movements the last 3 years has been couples golf nights. Lots of spouses picked up the clubs. So many courses are having couples night, 9 holes with dinner. They normally get booked up.
i can see that couples night would be a big hit. the growth in the game is with more women wanting to play it every year.

as for the PGA? it was jack's tournament this last weekend and his course played like a major. par 72 and the winning score was seven under. that's a quality golf tournament.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:14 am
Sellingguy wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:47 pm who really gives a fuck.

i can see that couples night would be a big hit. the growth in the game is with more women wanting to play it every year.

as for the PGA? it was jack's tournament this last weekend and his course played like a major. par 72 and the winning score was seven under. that's a quality golf tournament.
Women and kids picked up the clubs during covid. My daughter was one of them. She plays more than I do now. Now how fast will golf courses react? Sadly the biggest issue is many of the men golfers.
They get pissed playing behind a ladies group. They get pissed if they make a tee time for 2 and get paired with 2 women. My daughter has dealt with it several times. She gets put into a open slot since she will go play 9 after work. The guys dont like it. Courses need to make sure their customers are making the course female friendly.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »