Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

AI to make npc's more real in open world games?

Video game themed message board
Abe Froman
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

AI to make npc's more real in open world games?

Post by Abe Froman »

It seems like a really cool thing that that game creators could tap into to make npc's in open world games much more believable when speaking with them. I bet you anything, that within the next 5 years we see a triple A game do it. I'd be willing to bet there are shitty Indy games trying to make it work themselves right now. Just have to figure out how to get voice acting to work and not sound robotic and set some parameters for the roles the AI will be playing. It seems really doable

Sidenote: Snapchat's AI scares the hell out of me... It seriously lies about things like location....
I made this!
jffl_commish

Re: AI to make npc's more real in open world games?

Post by jffl_commish »

Ryan Reynolds made a movie out of something like this, Free Guy. My gal loves it.
Let's get Tropical
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:12 pm It seems like a really cool thing that that game creators could tap into to make npc's in open world games much more believable when speaking with them. I bet you anything, that within the next 5 years we see a triple A game do it. I'd be willing to bet there are shitty Indy games trying to make it work themselves right now. Just have to figure out how to get voice acting to work and not sound robotic and set some parameters for the roles the AI will be playing. It seems really doable

Sidenote: Snapchat's AI scares the hell out of me... It seriously lies about things like location....
Yep to all of this.

They would have to get a voice actor who already has an extensive library of themselves talking, so they can do the deep-fake thing with their voice, in game, in real time of the user playing it.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:35 am
Abe Froman wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:12 pm It seems like a really cool thing that that game creators could tap into to make npc's in open world games much more believable when speaking with them. I bet you anything, that within the next 5 years we see a triple A game do it. I'd be willing to bet there are shitty Indy games trying to make it work themselves right now. Just have to figure out how to get voice acting to work and not sound robotic and set some parameters for the roles the AI will be playing. It seems really doable

Yep to all of this.

They would have to get a voice actor who already has an extensive library of themselves talking, so they can do the deep-fake thing with their voice, in game, in real time of the user playing it.
Honestly, I bet there are loads of voice actors who already have put their voices down for future sale with the whole deep fake thing. If you really think about it, just by lowering and raising the octave of a voice you could make several unique enough NPC's just from one voice actor. I'm actually excited to see a game like the next TES game use something like this!
I made this!
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

Idk if anyone here really knows, but how much processing power would it really take? Gotta think it would be less than your typical chatgtp since all it would ever have to really know is the lore the game has and whatever predetermined questions you as the player have asked it. You could even make it dump it's memory of what you've asked it after a certain amount of in-game time if it helped. I just wonder if it would be something that could be doable for a typical Bethesda style RPG or if you would have to keep it to online games so you could tap into a server. Just never been a huge fan of games that you need to be online to play.
I made this!
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

I dont know a ton of the tools or anything but Unreal 5 can basically render pretty detailed outdoor environments by itself. Cities for example. One of the applications brought up is a studio uses Unreal 5 to lay out and design a blueprint of a city. The team can make changes and details around that and have artists and designers spend a ton more time with interiors. Just in like an open world- modern day setting for example.

Unreal 5 seems pretty crazy. I'm interested to see games come out with the whole development in Unreal 5 and what people can come up with.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

YBBR wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:56 am I dont know a ton of the tools or anything but Unreal 5 can basically render pretty detailed outdoor environments by itself. Cities for example. One of the applications brought up is a studio uses Unreal 5 to lay out and design a blueprint of a city. The team can make changes and details around that and have artists and designers spend a ton more time with interiors. Just in like an open world- modern day setting for example.

Unreal 5 seems pretty crazy. I'm interested to see games come out with the whole development in Unreal 5 and what people can come up with.
I mean if you think about it, if they can perfect this tech, games like Skyrim could go from a 15 year release window to a 5 or less year release window. If you can have an AI basically create a detailed map complete with cities and dungeons, and then just have to go in and modify that work to suite the devs vision, just imagine how much time that saves. Same with adding in NPC's, dialogue, even the npc's voice work... All they would have to do is add in the story quests, side quests, story dialogue, random events, etc, and then spend the bulk of their time ensuring that it all works. Seems like we could be getting much more complete and less buggy games as devs can spend their time trouble shooting and adding in more content to more accurately fulfill their original vision. It's honestly exciting. I really want to see what GTA 10, The elder scrolls 12, hell even RDR 5 look like, but at the rate they are releasing them, I will be long dead before they get around to it.
I made this!
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Yeah, games are just more complex and take longer and longer to make. AI tools or automatic rendering tools hopefully cuts down a lot of time going forward. Unreal 5 seems pretty unbelievable. I think people are using AI tools to write like side quests or something. I think Ubisoft which sounds like them not wanting to pay people because it's Ubisoft, but in the next few years, maybe that stuff is a lot better and more commonplace. Who knows?
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

YBBR wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:13 pm Yeah, games are just more complex and take longer and longer to make. AI tools or automatic rendering tools hopefully cuts down a lot of time going forward. Unreal 5 seems pretty unbelievable. I think people are using AI tools to write like side quests or something. I think Ubisoft which sounds like them not wanting to pay people because it's Ubisoft, but in the next few years, maybe that stuff is a lot better and more commonplace. Who knows?
I'm hopeful that people like Ubisoft and especially Bethesda, with all of their Microsoft backing, start to develop their own versions of what Unreal 5 is. I get that they already have their own proprietary dev softwares, but clearly it's all a step back from what Unreal 5 is and can do. I'm hopeful that, if they are unwilling to pay for the Unreal 5 engine, that they start to develop shit that is truly competitive with it and features automatic rendering tools.

I mean especially Microsoft. Now they have a shit ton of 1st party development studios and it really seems like something like this for all of them to use would make a ton of sense. Honestly, since Microsoft is so willing and eager to buy shit, maybe they should just buy Epic games... Especially if the Activision/Blizzard acquisition actually falls through.... Or at least buy the Unreal division from them.
I made this!
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

Remember when Quake's engine rivaled Unreal's? Kinda bet Microsoft wishes ID kept up with development of it now...
I made this!
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Abe Froman wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:56 pm Remember when Quake's engine rivaled Unreal's? Kinda bet Microsoft wishes ID kept up with development of it now...
They're actually porting Halo Infinite to Unreal 5 because of how much of a nightmare it was to make content in that engine. Obviously, it was 343's own proprietary one. Slipstream or something? Everyone knows the tools in Unreal. Most games are made in Unreal these days. There's a handful of others that people still use.

Capcom has the RE engine they developed, and they have been pumping out kick ass stuff for more than a few years now. Unity is still popular but developers are stepping away from it because of the crazy stuff around that company.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Oh yeah, Bethesda did update their engine for the first since, like Oblivion for their new game. The Creation engine. Hopefully, Starfield turns out well. Because Redfall just came out and crashed and burned very hard. Microsoft needs some wins.
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

YBBR wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:51 am Oh yeah, Bethesda did update their engine for the first since, like Oblivion for their new game. The Creation engine. Hopefully, Starfield turns out well. Because Redfall just came out and crashed and burned very hard. Microsoft needs some wins.
I don't think redfall uses Creation though. Idk why Microsoft is pushing things out that clearly don't look ready. They have been pimping redfall at every chance they get for a while. They really should have given it more time. Personally the game just doesn't sound all that fun to me anyway, but im sure someone likes it.
I made this!
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:06 am
YBBR wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:51 am Oh yeah, Bethesda did update their engine for the first since, like Oblivion for their new game. The Creation engine. Hopefully, Starfield turns out well. Because Redfall just came out and crashed and burned very hard. Microsoft needs some wins.
I don't think redfall uses Creation though. Idk why Microsoft is pushing things out that clearly don't look ready. They have been pimping redfall at every chance they get for a while. They really should have given it more time. Personally the game just doesn't sound all that fun to me anyway, but im sure someone likes it.
They use Creation for the big expansive first person RPG games that Bethesda softworks makes. Elder Scrolls, Fallout, so Starfield is definitely one of those.

Arkane did Redfall. Arkane is a pretty rad studio too. The Dishonored games were good. Deathloop was pretty awesome. Prey was neat, but it didn't quite capture me. Surprised a studio like them farted out Redfall. Which seem likes it's just not fun. Not super broken, just very uninspired and boilerplate.
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

YBBR wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:45 pm
They use Creation for the big expansive first person RPG games that Bethesda softworks makes. Elder Scrolls, Fallout, so Starfield is definitely one of those.

Arkane did Redfall. Arkane is a pretty rad studio too. The Dishonored games were good. Deathloop was pretty awesome. Prey was neat, but it didn't quite capture me. Surprised a studio like them farted out Redfall. Which seem likes it's just not fun. Not super broken, just very uninspired and boilerplate.
Feels like we are getting a lot of big promises that fall short with this gen of consoles so far...
I made this!
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:48 pm

Feels like we are getting a lot of big promises that fall short with this gen of consoles so far...
I kind of agree. Last gen was pretty damn great but I feel like a lot of the big games have sort of fell flat this gen so far.
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

YBBR wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:51 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:48 pm

I kind of agree. Last gen was pretty damn great but I feel like a lot of the big games have sort of fell flat this gen so far.
I feel like I said the same thing about the PS3 and 360 versus the first few years of PS4 and XB1 so hopefully things turn around and maybe new AI assisted tech will make that happen. I think a hell of a lot is riding on Starfield for Microsoft and Bethesda. I'll be surprised if they fuck it up, but then again, I really didn't see Microsoft allowing Halo Infinite to fail either and they did just that.
I made this!
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Idc what anyone says, Cyberpunk is a great game. The bugs are fixed and it's cool as hell. Honestly the worst part is Keanu in it. Maybe if Johnny had his voice and personality but not his likeness too, it wouldn't feel so... I don't know out of place.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.