Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

offseason predictions

A place to discuss the MN Wild
mnbob70

offseason predictions

Post by mnbob70 »

Dumba gone.
Klingberg gone.
Addison traded.
Sundqvist gone.
Nyquist gone.
Steel gone.
Work out a deal with Johansson.
Duhaime back.
Reaves back maybe.

Team will be worse next year as the transition to young guys begins.
dennis1

Re: offseason predictions

Post by dennis1 »

Evanson gone.
mnbob70

Post by mnbob70 »

dennis1 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:20 pmEvanson gone.
I don't think so but it will be interesting to see what happens.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Evason needs to go. 0-8 in playoff series and again proves he can't adjust when their opponent does. And why do his best offensive players completely disappear in the playoffs?

btw Spurgeon was been on the ice for 13 of the 19 Stars' goals.
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

Trade Kaprizov for a player and 2 number 1s. Completely blown this up.

Didn't work last year, didn't work this year.
My body, my choice.
Justin Kase

Post by Justin Kase »

I’m hoping Dean is gone. Team discipline has to start with the coach.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:55 am Trade Kaprizov for a player and 2 number 1s. Completely blown this up.

There won't be a worse take in any forum this year
Horrible, absolutely horrible.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:55 am Trade Kaprizov for a player and 2 number 1s. Completely blown this up.

Really???
DMB

Post by DMB »

Slap Shot wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:36 am Evason needs to go. 0-8 in playoff series and again proves he can't adjust when their opponent does. And why do his best offensive players completely disappear in the playoffs?

Evason is 0-4 in playoffs right? The Wild as a team are 0-8 in their last 8. He seems to come up small in big situations much too often for me.
Semper Fi
dennis1

Post by dennis1 »

DMB wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:26 pm
Slap Shot wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:36 am Evason needs to go. 0-8 in playoff series and again proves he can't adjust when their opponent does. And why do his best offensive players completely disappear in the playoffs?

Evason is 0-4 in playoffs right? The Wild as a team are 0-8 in their last 8. He seems to come up small in big situations much too often for me.
Kind of like the Mike Zimmer of hockey.
DMB

Post by DMB »

dennis1 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:42 pm
DMB wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:26 pm

Kind of like the Mike Zimmer of hockey.
Right.
Semper Fi
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

Angry Waters wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:25 pm

Really???
Yes. Maximum value.
My body, my choice.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

OK, here's my thoughts.

Bummer of a series for sure and I really thought we'd win it after the tremendous game 3 effort. Played well in game 4 but Oettinger was too good and Dallas did what they had to do and basically won the series at that point. I was VERY disappointed in the overall compete level for games 5 and 6 and hope BG will take notice of who quit and who didn't. Both teams had a star player out with Ek and Pavelski, but pretty sure the loss of Ek hurt us more. As for next season, here's thoughts on the players:

Goalies- Gus played well but with Jesper waiting in the wings BG cannot afford to give him a big deal. If we can sign him for 2-3 years at no more than 2 million year I'd do it. If he demands more and you feel Jesper is ready or very close to being ready then you say goodbye. We're stuck with MAF one more year and that is a huge bummer.

Defense- One would assume Dumba and Klingberg are gone. Brodin, Spurg, Faber, and Middleton are a decent foursome and both Merrill and Goligoski are under contract for another year so unless either of them can be traded they'll be part of the mix. I don't see how Addison remains as BG and Dean obviously don't like his style and the feeling is probably mutual. This is a problem because no one of the aforementioned 6 are much in the way of PP threats so something has to give...

Forwards- Most likely have seen the last of Sundqvist, Nyquist, and Johansson as all three are FA's and will most likely be beyond what the Wild could afford. Johansson probably has the best chance of returning of the 3. KK. Hartsy. Zuccs, Marcus, Boldy, Freddy, and Dewar are all under contract and likely to return. Would love to see Duhaime back if they can work out a manageable deal. Reaves did what he was here to do but I just don't know if I'd bring him back as he will be 36 and most likely losing another step. Unless he would agree to a million or less I say let him go. So there could/should be 4-5 spots open for the final forward spots and this is where we desperately need a few of the prospects to step in and play somewhat significant roles at bargain basement salaries.

Coaches- Not a Dean hater but numbers don't lie. Under his leadership the Wild have not progressed but have instead showed a continuous habit of underperforming in the playoffs. I'd like BG to explore who might be available to replace Dean and if he finds the right guy then you thank Dean for his service and show him the door.

Overall at this juncture I do not have a whole lot of optimism looking forward to the next couple of years and I continue to fear that KK will get sick of the situation and bail when his contract is up. BG has 3 years left to prove to KK that something special is possible as soon as those Zach and Ryan contracts are off the books and lets hope somehow he makes that happen. I thought we might be headed for a bottoming out of sorts earlier this season and then we went on an impressive run that apparently was a mirage. Next year is so hard to gauge...I could see us flailing badly and missing the playoffs or I could see a repeat of this season. That's maddening. I am continuing to put trust in BG but my patience is wearing thin...very thin.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

Hornets wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:41 pm OK, here's my thoughts.

Bummer of a series for sure and I really thought we'd win it after the tremendous game 3 effort. Played well in game 4 but Oettinger was too good and Dallas did what they had to do and basically won the series at that point. I was VERY disappointed in the overall compete level for games 5 and 6 and hope BG will take notice of who quit and who didn't. Both teams had a star player out with Ek and Pavelski, but pretty sure the loss of Ek hurt us more. As for next season, here's thoughts on the players:

Goalies- Gus played well but with Jesper waiting in the wings BG cannot afford to give him a big deal. If we can sign him for 2-3 years at no more than 2 million year I'd do it. If he demands more and you feel Jesper is ready or very close to being ready then you say goodbye. We're stuck with MAF one more year and that is a huge bummer.

Defense- One would assume Dumba and Klingberg are gone. Brodin, Spurg, Faber, and Middleton are a decent foursome and both Merrill and Goligoski are under contract for another year so unless either of them can be traded they'll be part of the mix. I don't see how Addison remains as BG and Dean obviously don't like his style and the feeling is probably mutual. This is a problem because no one of the aforementioned 6 are much in the way of PP threats so something has to give...

Forwards- Most likely have seen the last of Sundqvist, Nyquist, and Johansson as all three are FA's and will most likely be beyond what the Wild could afford. Johansson probably has the best chance of returning of the 3. KK. Hartsy. Zuccs, Marcus, Boldy, Freddy, and Dewar are all under contract and likely to return. Would love to see Duhaime back if they can work out a manageable deal. Reaves did what he was here to do but I just don't know if I'd bring him back as he will be 36 and most likely losing another step. Unless he would agree to a million or less I say let him go. So there could/should be 4-5 spots open for the final forward spots and this is where we desperately need a few of the prospects to step in and play somewhat significant roles at bargain basement salaries.

Coaches- Not a Dean hater but numbers don't lie. Under his leadership the Wild have not progressed but have instead showed a continuous habit of underperforming in the playoffs. I'd like BG to explore who might be available to replace Dean and if he finds the right guy then you thank Dean for his service and show him the door.

Overall at this juncture I do not have a whole lot of optimism looking forward to the next couple of years and I continue to fear that KK will get sick of the situation and bail when his contract is up. BG has 3 years left to prove to KK that something special is possible as soon as those Zach and Ryan contracts are off the books and lets hope somehow he makes that happen. I thought we might be headed for a bottoming out of sorts earlier this season and then we went on an impressive run that apparently was a mirage. Next year is so hard to gauge...I could see us flailing badly and missing the playoffs or I could see a repeat of this season. That's maddening. I am continuing to put trust in BG but my patience is wearing thin...very thin.
Great synopsis, Hornets.

Not a lot to add here...but I'll give it a shot.

I hope Gus comes back. Maybe Flower decides to retire? That would probably be best-case scenario. Go with the 2 Swedes. Hopefully one becomes the true Alpha. On a side note, if you're gonna name a 2023 team MVP, Gus would be a top 3 candidate. Incredible job. He'd get my vote, to be honest.

Staying on the back-end, I think your top 6 D guys are already on the roster: Spurg, Brodin, Middleton, Faber, Merrill, Goligoski. If you're moving Merrill/Goligoski, these are just going to be bit moves that won't move the needle much.

When it comes to the F/C discussion, this is where it really becomes interesting. Boldy is young. But his continued maturation should lead him to become a perennial 30-40 goal scorer. However, the past 2 years show he's clearly better when he's paired with another dynamic player (22 and Johansson). So, my priority would be to bring Johansson back.

I love Zucs. He was the best player on the ice in game 3, but largely unnoticeable besides that. He's been a damn good hockey player, a joy to watch. He didn't have a great 2nd half of the season. If he has any value, I would look to move him. I would've done it last year, too, fwiw. Maybe it would allow you to sign both Johansson and Nyquist??? Watching Thrill and Zucs together the past few years has been awesome. The innate chemistry they seemed to have is special. However, if Thrill is gonna captain this ship for the next 10 years, Zucs ain't gonna be his wing man much longer.

This team's best all-around player is EE. I'd center him with Thrill on the top line. Who knows about the other wing... But that player should be provided many opportunities to score goals. A second line of Johansson/Gaudreau/Boldy should be very dynamic. After that, figure it out.

I like Evason. It's a great story. The 'lifer' makes good... But, he's on the hot-seat. I don't know the league very well. I wouldn't be surprised if he was moved this off-season, to be honest. Much like last year with St. Louis, a good hockey team was going to be eliminated from the playoffs in the first round. What sucks even more is that the Wild was up 1-0 each series. One thing I know to be sure is that BG doesn't seem to be content to simply make the playoffs.

This squad will still be a playoff team next year. Thrill is a bonafide superstar. Boldy should continue to get better. Top end talent can 'float a boat'. But, until the Parise/Suter dead weight is gone, 'floating' is probably the upside. I don't worry too much about Thrill being unhappy. This isn't the NBA. And, I'm sure he's aware of the 'caponomics'. My greater concern is where does he spend his offseason???
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:37 pm

Really???
Yes. Maximum value.
What would Boldy fetch? He's only 22! EE is only 26. Trade him, too??? Why stop there? Why not, right!!!
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

Angry Waters wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:19 am
Really???
Yes. Maximum value.
What would Boldy fetch? He's only 22! EE is only 26. Trade him, too??? Why stop there? Why not, right!!!
All options should be explored, yes
My body, my choice.
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:12 am

Yes. Maximum value.
Should the Caps have traded Ovi in his first three years?? Is it time for Edmonton to dump McDavid and Draisaitl? I bet Boston fans are so pissed they still have Pastrnak after 8 years of not winning the cup.
Ketchup can be nuancy
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

Ask Not wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:39 am
LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:12 am
Should the Caps have traded Ovi in his first three years?? Is it time for Edmonton to dump McDavid and Draisaitl? I bet Boston fans are so pissed they still have Pastrnak after 8 years of not winning the cup.
Yep, if someone called them and offered an unbelievable deal, move on it. No one should be off the table.
My body, my choice.
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

The salary cap situation for the next two years should make year three the focus. I'd trade Zucc this year if you can get anything useful for him. The NHL is largely a rich stars and everyone else league. Guerin might be able to find someone at a reasonable price who is waiting for Kap to elevate him in place of Zucc.

They likely aren't going to be able to get a center for Kap in the next two years, so continue to grow and develop the talent pool for a big trade at that time. Johannson played for $1.1M this year. He'd likely take 2 years at $2M per.

I'd try to trade both Merrill and Goligoski to clear salary and bring in a $4M blue liner that either has more size than the other D-men or can play the point on the power play. Also, it's time to start making room for the skilled kids like Beckman and/or Walker, etc. I like Dewar, Duhaime and company, but they'll always be bottom 6 and largely replaceable.

Kap/Hartman/FA -- $14.7M
Johansson/Erickson Ek/Boldy - $14.5M
Foligno/Rossi/Gaudreau - $6M
Others - $4M

Spurg / FA - $11.6M
Brodin / Faber - $7M
Middleton / Lambos - 3.3

Fluery / Gus - $6M

Salaries: $67.1
Parise and Suter: $14.7M
Total cost: $81.8M
Salary Cap: $83.5M
Ketchup can be nuancy
mnbob70

Post by mnbob70 »

mnbob70 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:19 pm Work out a deal with Johansson.
2 years 4 million. I got that guess right.
DMB

Post by DMB »

mnbob70 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:56 am
That was quick. Gus next.
Semper Fi
Justin Kase

Post by Justin Kase »

[media][/media]
mnbob70 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:56 am
Just saw that, nice!!!
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

1 of us said he'd take 2 years at $2M per.
*gratehockeymind
Ketchup can be nuancy
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

this team is forever fucked by praise and sutter. And once they are done being fucked by that deal they will do it again with what ever local player is 75% done with their career.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Sellingguy wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:58 pm this team is forever fucked by praise and sutter. And once they are done being fucked by that deal they will do it again with what ever local player is 75% done with their career.
The Parise/Suter move was too drastic and was a mistake by Guerin. I haven't come out and blasted it before but it was just plain TOO drastic. If the move only required one or two years of buyouts then I could be on board with it....FOUR years was TOO drastic. Also, I do still have faith that Guerin can eventually lead us to a run to the cup but if he were a true leader he could have handled Zach and Ryan better where it didn't have to come down to the DRASTIC move. The hope and assumption is that after TWO MORE SEASONS we'll have lots of cap space and our promising prospects will be ready to shine. Well, maybe we will have more money but as we've seen in years past there is no guarantee that those prospects will pan out....we just do not know and the failure of Rossi so far proves that point.

I don't think this is going to work out in the end....Guerin made a devastating mistake. It was too drastic.
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

Hornets wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:22 pm
Sellingguy wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:58 pm this team is forever fucked by praise and sutter. And once they are done being fucked by that deal they will do it again with what ever local player is 75% done with their career.
The Parise/Suter move was too drastic and was a mistake by Guerin. I haven't come out and blasted it before but it was just plain TOO drastic. If the move only required one or two years of buyouts then I could be on board with it....FOUR years was TOO drastic. Also, I do still have faith that Guerin can eventually lead us to a run to the cup but if he were a true leader he could have handled Zach and Ryan better where it didn't have to come down to the DRASTIC move. The hope and assumption is that after TWO MORE SEASONS we'll have lots of cap space and our promising prospects will be ready to shine. Well, maybe we will have more money but as we've seen in years past there is no guarantee that those prospects will pan out....we just do not know and the failure of Rossi so far proves that point.

I don't think this is going to work out in the end....Guerin made a devastating mistake. It was too drastic.
Gentlemen- the long-term IR and retirement rules for players on long-term contracts were enacted After they were signed. Those subsequent rule changes for which contracts weren't grandfathered in are why they're in this situation.

Had they traded the players and then the the players retired the salary cap implications would have been crippling. That wasn't the case when they were signed.
Last edited by Ask Not on Wed May 03, 2023 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Ask Not wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:49 pm

Gentlemen- the long-term IR and retirement rules for players on long-term contracts were enacted After they were signed. Without those subsequent rule changes for which contracts weren't grandfathered in are why they're in this situation.

Had they traded the players and then the the players retired the salary cap implications would have been crippling. That wasn't the case when they were signed.
Both Zach and Ryan had productive seasons and especially Suter seems likely to keep playing for the remainder of his contract. Zach probably would like to keep playing and if he is ok with the vets minimum someone will sign him, probably the Islanders again. It was as much the inability of management to set things straight with the two and avoid the supposedly necessary move. Don't know why I keep getting upset about this....it's a done deal and wishing it hadn't happened won't change a thing. :cry:
DMB

Post by DMB »

Hornets wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:54 pm
Ask Not wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:49 pm

Gentlemen- the long-term IR and retirement rules for players on long-term contracts were enacted After they were signed. Without those subsequent rule changes for which contracts weren't grandfathered in are why they're in this situation.

Both Zach and Ryan had productive seasons and especially Suter seems likely to keep playing for the remainder of his contract. Zach probably would like to keep playing and if he is ok with the vets minimum someone will sign him, probably the Islanders again. It was as much the inability of management to set things straight with the two and avoid the supposedly necessary move. Don't know why I keep getting upset about this....it's a done deal and wishing it hadn't happened won't change a thing. :cry:
Why did Guerin want to get rid of them so bad? I read there were problems in locker room-especially with Suter.
Semper Fi
Big Head

Post by Big Head »

Any chance of Marat Khusnutdinov coming over next year?
mnbob70

Post by mnbob70 »

Ask Not wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 4:56 pm 1 of us said he'd take 2 years at $2M per.
*gratehockeymind
Even more impressive call. :thumbsup: