Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Kessler vs Gobert season stats

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
salamander

Re: Kessler vs Gobert season stats

Post by salamander »

I really wanted Kessler and still think he's going to be a good player. I don't hate trading him as much now with the way Gobert has been playing. And Gobert is 31 so there's a lot of fuel left in that tank.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

salamander wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:24 am I really wanted Kessler and still think he's going to be a good player. I don't hate trading him as much now with the way Gobert has been playing. And Gobert is 31 so there's a lot of fuel left in that tank.
I know size plays a role, but with modern health and nutrition, athletes should be in their prime until mid 30's now. Tennis used to be done by age 30, now until late 30's. QB's same. Just don't be a running back.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

True. But there's only so much you can do for a 7-2 265 pound body. Rudy has done an amazing job keeping himself in shape, but still -
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:53 am True. But there's only so much you can do for a 7-2 265 pound body. Rudy has done an amazing job keeping himself in shape, but still -
Yep, just hoping the better knowledge with let him play effectively until 33-34. Big bodies will break down unfortunately.

But really, isn't that the current rosters window anyway? Towns will be 30 in a couple, rudy getting older, conley near the end.

Leaves Ant, Jaden, Naz, and whomever else can hang around plus the G leaguers.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

I'm eating a lot of crow recently. Holy shit has Rudy been great.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:01 am
somuchyummy wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:53 am True. But there's only so much you can do for a 7-2 265 pound body. Rudy has done an amazing job keeping himself in shape, but still -
Yep, just hoping the better knowledge with let him play effectively until 33-34. Big bodies will break down unfortunately.

But really, isn't that the current rosters window anyway? Towns will be 30 in a couple, rudy getting older, conley near the end.

that is a good point. we have a window right now - and maybe another one later depending on a lot of factors.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Towns’ game should age well. Rudy may not be quite as lucky, but he could age well also, but he’s older now. Rudy is 31 and under contract through next seasons with a player option for the season after. If he keeps up his play this year and through the next, he’ll probably decline the option and try to hit another big contact. He’ll be 33 and that will be a really tough call if he wants big money again. If the back holds up, I’m sure he’ll still be playing at a very high level at 33. But will he at 37 or 38, when that contract would expire? That’s murky. If we’re still playing at a high level and competing for titles, I think you give him the deal and accept that he may be a broken down albatross in 2029-30.

Towns is a recent 28 and under contract through the 2026-27 season, when he turns 31 and has a player option for the 27-28 season when he turns 32. As with Rudy. I’d expect him to decline the option and seek another mega-contract, barring some major injury. In some ways, aging might benefit him. The post up game should still be there and the shooting game should as well. The dribble-drive game might start to go, but that’s where he gets most of his offensive fouls and turnovers. Aging might actually settle him down a little. He could still be a very effective player at 31-32 and there should be no reason to expect a precipitous drop off over the next few seasons.

It’s hard to weigh in on salary cap implications of seasons at the end of the decade, too many variables. But unless there’s an injury or salary cap issues to force a move, I think the window could stay open for a long time.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

someone's trending in the twitterverse. i'll put another one in the game thread.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

MVP talk is fun and I can’t argue it’s not warranted, but he’s never going to actually get it. I can’t imagine voters actually voting him MVP. DPOY seems almost like a shoe-in unless something happens at this point, but he’ll never get MVP, even if he deserves it.

- Isaac Asimov
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:49 am MVP talk is fun and I can’t argue it’s not warranted, but he’s never going to actually get it. I can’t imagine voters actually voting him MVP. DPOY seems almost like a shoe-in unless something happens at this point, but he’ll never get MVP, even if he deserves it.
the award is just the cherry on top. what matters to the team and the fans is if he can sustain this level of the play for the rest of the season. he's been fun to watch. these last few games especially.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

weimy froob wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:53 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:49 am MVP talk is fun and I can’t argue it’s not warranted, but he’s never going to actually get it. I can’t imagine voters actually voting him MVP. DPOY seems almost like a shoe-in unless something happens at this point, but he’ll never get MVP, even if he deserves it.
the award is just the cherry on top. what matters to the team and the fans is if he can sustain this level of the play for the rest of the season. he's been fun to watch. these last few games especially.
I see no reason why he can’t unless the back flares up again. Nothing he’s doing are things he hasn’t done before or aren’t repeatable.

I don’t expect him to be consistently as statistically dominant as he he has been lately, but that’s okay. 16/21/6 is probably not sustainable unless your name is Wilt or Bill Russell.

The team concept of an elite defensive anchor surrounded by good defenders is dominant. Unlike Utah when he was an elite defensive anchor surrounded by guys who let him do all the work on that end.

- Isaac Asimov
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

So why didnt Gobert play like this last season?
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

mlhouse wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:03 pm So why didnt Gobert play like this last season?
He was playing hurt.

He was playing alongside DLo and other players that can’t be bothered to commit to playing defense.

Kat man was out for most of the year.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

he's also recently said that people expected he would come in and it would instantly change things - but in his opinion, that's not how it works. takes time, takes repetitions and grinding it out.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:47 pm he's also recently said that people expected he would come in and it would instantly change things - but in his opinion, that's not how it works. takes time, takes repetitions and grinding it out.
All seem reasonable I guess.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:47 pm he's also recently said that people expected he would come in and it would instantly change things - but in his opinion, that's not how it works. takes time, takes repetitions and grinding it out.
And man o man does this team grind away on other teams. Best chance to beat the Wolves is to get a 15-20 point lead in the 1st quarter. If it’s within single digits by halftime, I love our chances.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

mlhouse wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:03 pm So why didnt Gobert play like this last season?
Gobert was also dealing with lower back issues for most of last year
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:13 pm
He was playing hurt.

He was playing alongside DLo and other players that can’t be bothered to commit to playing defense.

Kat man was out for most of the year.
KAT is the mot perplexing dude ever, I swear. He consistently played good defense next to KG his rookie year and so far this year he has consistently played good defense next to Gobert.

Throughout the rest of his career? He's always had bouts every year where he'd play good defense for like 10 games or whatever but as a whole he has sucked.

But props to KAT. 21 games in and he's been consistent with it.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

anybody got kessler's numbers?

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Kesslers last five games - 8.4 PPG, 8.2 RPG and 3.2 BPG.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:22 pm Kesslers last five games - 8.4 PPG, 8.2 RPG and 3.2 BPG.
not too shabby.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

KAT knowing how to feed Gobert or take the three at the top of the court is wondrous.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:31 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:22 pm Kesslers last five games - 8.4 PPG, 8.2 RPG and 3.2 BPG.
not too shabby.
I think reports of his demise may be slightly exaggerated. He's not the kind of player who can lift Utah out of their morass, but he could be a decent tool on a good team.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:20 am

Towns’ game should age well. Rudy may not be quite as lucky, but he could age well also, but he’s older now. Rudy is 31 and under contract through next seasons with a player option for the season after. If he keeps up his play this year and through the next, he’ll probably decline the option and try to hit another big contact. He’ll be 33 and that will be a really tough call if he wants big money again. If the back holds up, I’m sure he’ll still be playing at a very high level at 33. But will he at 37 or 38, when that contract would expire? That’s murky. If we’re still playing at a high level and competing for titles, I think you give him the deal and accept that he may be a broken down albatross in 2029-30.

Towns is a recent 28 and under contract through the 2026-27 season, when he turns 31 and has a player option for the 27-28 season when he turns 32. As with Rudy. I’d expect him to decline the option and seek another mega-contract, barring some major injury. In some ways, aging might benefit him. The post up game should still be there and the shooting game should as well. The dribble-drive game might start to go, but that’s where he gets most of his offensive fouls and turnovers. Aging might actually settle him down a little. He could still be a very effective player at 31-32 and there should be no reason to expect a precipitous drop off over the next few seasons.

It’s hard to weigh in on salary cap implications of seasons at the end of the decade, too many variables. But unless there’s an injury or salary cap issues to force a move, I think the window could stay open for a long time.
I agree with everything but this. If Towns keeps hitting the floor after every drive he's bound to get hurt. I agree with the aging part, maybe if he has more control going in he may avoid getting hurt. That's how he hurts his wrist so much.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Mplsfonz wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:11 pm

I agree with everything but this. If Towns keeps hitting the floor after every drive he's bound to get hurt. I agree with the aging part, maybe if he has more control going in he may avoid getting hurt. That's how he hurts his wrist so much.
The premise is: as he ages, he’ll drive less.

- Isaac Asimov
salamander

Post by salamander »

Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:42 am
salamander wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:24 am I really wanted Kessler and still think he's going to be a good player. I don't hate trading him as much now with the way Gobert has been playing. And Gobert is 31 so there's a lot of fuel left in that tank.
I know size plays a role, but with modern health and nutrition, athletes should be in their prime until mid 30's now. Tennis used to be done by age 30, now until late 30's. QB's same. Just don't be a running back.
Pretty much. 31 isn't that old anymore.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:10 pm
Mplsfonz wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:11 pm

Yeah, then he loses effectiveness. You wouldn't have to guard him in the paint. Lets hope he becomes more than a $50 million dollar shooter.
I hope you're right, and he ages well. I won't be terribly upset if he's traded this offseason depending on how this season plays out. Get a good deal for him while we can.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Mplsfonz wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:50 pm
Mplsfonz wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:11 pm I agree with everything but this. If Towns keeps hitting the floor after every drive he's bound to get hurt. I agree with the aging part, maybe if he has more control going in he may avoid getting hurt. That's how he hurts his wrist so much.
Yeah, then he loses effectiveness. You wouldn't have to guard him in the paint. Lets hope he becomes more than a $50 million dollar shooter.
I hope you're right, and he ages well. I won't be terribly upset if he's traded this offseason depending on how this season plays out. Get a good deal for him while we can.
???

He can post up and pick and roll/pop too.

- Isaac Asimov
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:03 pm
Mplsfonz wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:50 pm

???

He can post up and pick and roll/pop too.
His post game is iffy IMHO. The pick and pop he does well, but if he doesn't roll then he's not going to be guarded. Going to the basket is where he picks up the stupid fouls. Don't get me wrong, don't just dump him, but he needs to step up when Ant is out of the game. Flailing on the way to the basket is not effort. Stay under control, make solid decisions. And please stop trying the over the head passes.