Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Kessler vs Gobert season stats

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
BBG

Re: Kessler vs Gobert season stats

Post by BBG »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:10 am
BBG wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:12 pm Another dud for Walker. 4 points and 4 boards. Oh, boy! Those are Loren Woods type numbers.

Yet, Wolves Twitter is convinced that this was some lopsided trade. At the end of this season, that narrative will be forgotten
Yeah, it's only Wolves twitter. :lol:
It's an excellent place for wolves content if you like that sort of thing.

All I'm saying is, this wasn't some historically bad trade that some are saying it is. There is a lot left to play out.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

BBG wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:45 am
BBG wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:12 pm Another dud for Walker. 4 points and 4 boards. Oh, boy! Those are Loren Woods type numbers.

Yet, Wolves Twitter is convinced that this was some lopsided trade. At the end of this season, that narrative will be forgotten

All I'm saying is, this wasn't some historically bad trade that some are saying it is. There is a lot left to play out.
Considering Gobert's age, contract, playoff failures and obvious questions around his fit alongside Towns, the number of assets and the financial flexibility they gave up to bring him in will always be considered bad.

I'll agree, however, that it's still a bit of a sliding scale on exactly how bad it turns out to be.
Roy Kent

Post by Roy Kent »

SHAFA wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:14 am

Considering Gobert's age, contract, playoff failures and obvious questions around his fit alongside Towns, the number of assets and the financial flexibility they gave up to bring him in will always be considered bad.

I'll agree, however, that it's still a bit of a sliding scale on exactly how bad it turns out to be.
Strapped us. We have no firsts to provide in a trade so we're stuck in terms of getting anything better than Gobert and we aren't getting any of the talent that Utah is taking from us every other year. For one guy. Just didn't seem like a smart move. Guess we'll see.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Roy Kent wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:19 am

Strapped us. We have no firsts to provide in a trade so we're stuck in terms of getting anything better than Gobert and we aren't getting any of the talent that Utah is taking from us every other year. For one guy. Just didn't seem like a smart move. Guess we'll see.
It absolutely did. But if somehow they manage to reach even the WCF after that, then it's not *as* bad as if they're a play-in/first round exit team every year until his deal expires.
Roy Kent

Post by Roy Kent »

SHAFA wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:30 am

It absolutely did. But if somehow they manage to reach even the WCF after that, then it's not *as* bad as if they're a play-in/first round exit team every year until his deal expires.
And that's the question. What result should we expect from a trade like this? Just making the playoffs vs winning it all. Anything in between? For me, I want to be in the finals. But I don't think they did it the right way to make this happen. Guess we'll see.
Mnwild1128

Post by Mnwild1128 »

That is incorrect. We can trade Naz, Anderson, Towns, McDaniels, Heck even Gobert for $.50 on the dollar. We have plenty of ways to improve the team. Improve is not exclusive to keeping everything we have, and only adding to it without subtraction of any top 7 players.
BBG

Post by BBG »

Kessler was invisible last night. A non factor. He is no threat to score and besides an occasional block he should be a bench player.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

I'm getting close to admitting defeat on this. Kessler may be already close to peaking which is kind of a shame when that happens to impact rookies. I still don't like the trade but if this version of Rudy keeps it up then who the hell cares about a first round pick in 2027?
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
BBG

Post by BBG »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:34 pm I'm getting close to admitting defeat on this. Kessler may be already close to peaking which is kind of a shame when that happens to impact rookies. I still don't like the trade but if this version of Rudy keeps it up then who the hell cares about a first round pick in 2027?
Boom!

Everything is coming together baby!
Mnwild1128

Post by Mnwild1128 »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:34 pm I'm getting close to admitting defeat on this. Kessler may be already close to peaking which is kind of a shame when that happens to impact rookies. I still don't like the trade but if this version of Rudy keeps it up then who the hell cares about a first round pick in 2027?
I don't. I care about our 2029.
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

The number of valuable picks make it the worst trade in recent memory in any pro sport.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:19 pm

The number of valuable picks make it the worst trade in recent memory in any pro sport.
Has it occurred to you that you might be WAy overvaluing the picks. Assuming none of them will be top 10 it’s very hard to project value. You have to have the asset become realized before assessong value. You can buy all the lottery tickets you want and consider them valuable, but if none of them hit, how valuable are they????
T_J

Post by T_J »

aztimberwolves wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:37 pm
DonaldDouchebag wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:19 pm

Has it occurred to you that you might be WAy overvaluing the picks. Assuming none of them will be top 10 it’s very hard to project value. You have to have the asset become realized before assessong value. You can buy all the lottery tickets you want and consider them valuable, but if none of them hit, how valuable are they????
That’s ignoring the ability to improve the team via trade for the majority of the 7 years they extended all the picks out.

With what Milwaukee gave for Lillard, we easily could have topped that. Frankly if they didn’t get taken to the cleaners in the Gobert deal, they could have acquired both players, but that’s just an example….probably still not super likely.
BBG

Post by BBG »

Do we have room for these picks? We have Luka and Minott who can't even get on the floor, but we want more picks?

Do we really want the next Josh Okogie, Jarrett Culver, Kris Dunn or Keita Bates-Diop? I'm good on all that. We have the guys we need to grow and improve our team.

Who did the Jazz take with our pick? Was that George or Sensabough? Because those guys don't seem to be anything but a rotation player
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

BBG wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:38 am Do we have room for these picks? We have Luka and Minott who can't even get on the floor, but we want more picks?

Do we really want the next Josh Okogie, Jarrett Culver, Kris Dunn or Keita Bates-Diop? I'm good on all that. We have the guys we need to grow and improve our team.

Who did the Jazz take with our pick? Was that George or Sensabough? Because those guys don't seem to be anything but a rotation player
I'm in agreement with you regarding this not being nearly as terrible of a trade that some are making out to be. Here's what we're looking at in the upcoming years...

2024 – One first-round pick (MIN), one second-round pick (least of WAS/MEM)
2025 – One second-round pick (UTA)
2026 – One first-round pick (least of MIN/UTA), One second-round pick (least of MIA/IND/SAS)
2027 – No draft picks
2028 – One first-round (MIN)
2029 – One second-round pick (MIN)

Combine that with the fact that the Wolves' core isn't aging talent that's going to be washed by 2029, but instead will be in their prime. Plus, there's already young players (Miller, Minnot, Garza, and Clark) in the pipeline that are going to be getting minutes in these upcoming years.

The Wolves are trying to make a serious run. I would have liked acquiring Gobert at more of a bargain but that didn't happen. I'm glad they made this trade happen without adding McDaniels to it. McDaniels is worth at least 2 late 1st round picks IMO. And I'm glad the Wolves aren't trying to make a run while having to depend on Kessler or some clown like Christian Wood at C. The West is too competitive to make a serious Championship run with a glaring weakness like that.
BBG

Post by BBG »

Kessler is out (UHL sprain, left elbow) and will be re-evaluated in two weeks.

It was a nice run
Mnwild1128

Post by Mnwild1128 »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:50 pm
BBG wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:38 am Do we have room for these picks? We have Luka and Minott who can't even get on the floor, but we want more picks?

I'm in agreement with you regarding this not being nearly as terrible of a trade that some are making out to be. Here's what we're looking at in the upcoming years...

2026 – One first-round pick (least of MIN/UTA), One second-round pick (least of MIA/IND/SAS)
2027 – No draft picks

Combine that with the fact that the Wolves' core isn't aging talent that's going to be washed by 2029, but instead will be in their prime. Plus, there's already young players (Miller, Minnot, Garza, and Clark) in the pipeline that are going to be getting minutes in these upcoming years.

The Wolves are trying to make a serious run. I would have liked acquiring Gobert at more of a bargain but that didn't happen. I'm glad they made this trade happen without adding McDaniels to it. McDaniels is worth at least 2 late 1st round picks IMO. And I'm glad the Wolves aren't trying to make a run while having to depend on Kessler or some clown like Christian Wood at C. The West is too competitive to make a serious Championship run with a glaring weakness like that.
I think he is worth 2 unprotected picks. Plus whatever player comes back to match salaries. The wolves would even balk at that type of offer.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

Mnwild1128 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:56 pm
Jimi_Thing wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:50 pm

2027 – No draft picks

I think he is worth 2 unprotected picks. Plus whatever player comes back to match salaries. The wolves would even balk at that type of offer.
Yeah. He’d have to want out of MN for them to even consider that.
Drizzay

Post by Drizzay »

Nice stat line for Rudy tonight. :wink:
Tell your story walkin'!
witljon

Post by witljon »

Mnwild1128 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:54 pm
I just think about Shabazz Muhammad, Wes Johnson, Derrick Williams, Kris Dunn, Corey Brewer, Jarrett Culver, and other Wolves draft picks and then I suddenly like the Gobert trade.
Mnwild1128

Post by Mnwild1128 »

witljon wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:22 pm
I just think about Shabazz Muhammad, Wes Johnson, Derrick Williams, Kris Dunn, Corey Brewer, Jarrett Culver, and other Wolves draft picks and then I suddenly like the Gobert trade.
I don't like being that impotent for that long. Now if my team was the Nuggets or Celtics i would not care. I still do not trust this team. Mainly due to Kats influence.
Mnwild1128

Post by Mnwild1128 »

McDaniels #28???
witljon

Post by witljon »

Mnwild1128 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:27 pm

I don't like being that impotent for that long. Now if my team was the Nuggets or Celtics i would not care. I still do not trust this team. Mainly due to Kats influence.
I’m gonna trust
witljon

Post by witljon »

Mnwild1128 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:27 pm

McDaniels #28???
Wasn’t Gobert drafted around that spot?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

yup. 27.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

it was an awful trade.
T_J

Post by T_J »

bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:56 am

it was an awful trade.
What they gave up was a haul for someone to take you to the finals. He can play well all this year, if they lose in round 1 again or even round 2, it’s bad.

I suppose a WCF run and a couple playoff outs soften the blow to what you gave up, but it was just an unsightly overpay. I don’t think they were bidding against anyone.
twolves31

Post by twolves31 »

it was an awful trade.
It was an awful trade. If you win a championship over the next few years with Rudy here, it would be worth every first round pick for the next 20 years to bring home the first championship of any kind since 1991 here.
Mnwild1128

Post by Mnwild1128 »

T_J wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:26 am

it was an awful trade.
What they gave up was a haul for someone to take you to the finals. He can play well all this year, if they lose in round 1 again or even round 2, it’s bad.

I suppose a WCF run and a couple playoff outs soften the blow to what you gave up, but it was just an unsightly overpay. I don’t think they were bidding against anyone.
All of the Hawks, Raps and Mavs had interest.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

If they make serious run at the Championship, which I believe they will, it will be proven to be a necessary trade. Factoring the young players currently on the squad and the draft picks they still have remaining....

2027 – No draft picks

the trade isn't nearly as devastating as some make it out to be.

Like pretty much anything sports related, it's a topic that can be Monday Morning QB'd to death by individuals that feel that they could have acquired Gobert for less or assembled as strong of a lineup without trading for Gobert. I'll say it again, last year we witnessed Gobert's floor. IMO, Gobert's floor is likely still higher than Kessler's ceiling.