Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

1st Time on the course 2023 Edition

Roy Kent

Re: 1st Time on the course 2023 Edition

Post by Roy Kent »

WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:40 pm
Roy Kent wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:42 am
WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:21 pm Went to the local range on Wednesday and Thursday after logging off the salt mines, result was mehh. Lot's and lot's of thinned shots. Felt like I was standing up at impact (which IMO is my biggest swing fault). I.e. I progress from 52 degree wedge up through driver. First shot with each iron is crisp and nicely compressed.
However, the subsequent 2-5 shots are thinned. I think I am trying to swing too hard. However, when I get into that mode it's very difficult (for me) to get out of said mode.
Oddly enough, 3 wood & 4 wood off the deck along with 4 iron, 5 iron, and 6 iron were smooth and crisp since I know I have to swing slow to make consistent contact.

Thin shots suck! Try this trick. Instead of looking at the ball when you swing, look at a blade of grass directly in front of the ball for your short irons. Imagine keeping your head as still as possible as you rotate through your swing (it's impossible but try it!). Then keep your eye on that blade of grass until after the ball has been struck. So many golfers want to follow the ball with their eyes before they've hit it. You're on the range, who cares where the ball goes, just work on keeping your eye on that blade of grass every time. :beer:
:clap: :clap: It never dawned on me to focus on a blade of grass in front of the ball. I will try that. Thank you good sir!
You bet! Try it with your driver too. I look at the grass about 2 inches behind the ball and about an inch towards me. :beer:

jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

He's here. He's there. He's every fucking where. Roy Kent. Roy Kent.
Let's get Tropical
Roy Kent

Post by Roy Kent »

jffl_commish wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:21 am He's here. He's there. He's every fucking where. Roy Kent. Roy Kent.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

WannaBeProGolferGuy

Post by WannaBeProGolferGuy »

Had a golf emergency today, 1st round of the season and carded an 85. 44 on the front and 41 on the back. Holes 11-17 had 7 straight pars (Ohh good for you) but doubled bogeyed the 18th due to a tee shot in the rough and approach shot into the sand bunker which I struggle mightily.

side note, I had 4 bogeys on the front 9 which could have been pars but it seemed like my distances were off. I.e. I was about ten yards behind the 150 marker which is 160 to the green and I use my 8 iron. So I pulled out my 8 and flushed it but it ended up short of the green. Another example was 154 par 3, grabbed my 9 iron and left it short of the green. I nutted about 5 drives today and the total distance was about 240 and normally my drives are between 250 -275

Eventually, the lightbulb dinged off upstairs in my brain and I decided to club up thus resulting in reaching the green in regulation thus plenty of pars on the back 9.

So, what gives with the distance? Would the ball I used make a difference? Is it the weather? It was 75 and sunny, minimal breeze, no humidity.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:57 pm Had a golf emergency today, 1st round of the season and carded an 85. 44 on the front and 41 on the back. Holes 11-17 had 7 straight pars (Ohh good for you) but doubled bogeyed the 18th due to a tee shot in the rough and approach shot into the sand bunker which I struggle mightily.

side note, I had 4 bogeys on the front 9 which could have been pars but it seemed like my distances were off. I.e. I was about ten yards behind the 150 marker which is 160 to the green and I use my 8 iron. So I pulled out my 8 and flushed it but it ended up short of the green. Another example was 154 par 3, grabbed my 9 iron and left it short of the green. I nutted about 5 drives today and the total distance was about 240 and normally my drives are between 250 -275

Eventually, the lightbulb dinged off upstairs in my brain and I decided to club up thus resulting in reaching the green in regulation thus plenty of pars on the back 9.

So, what gives with the distance? Would the ball I used make a difference? Is it the weather? It was 75 and sunny, minimal breeze, no humidity.
well you certainly can check the weather conditions off the potential list. doubt the ball could make that much of a difference either. my guess would be you've lost some distance/early season form. if you're still at the same distance after 5+ rounds i'd consider it the new normal.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

what balls did you play last year? today?
WannaBeProGolferGuy

weimy froob wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:04 pm what balls did you play last year? today?
Combination of Callaway SuperSoft and Bridgestone e12 and Wilson DUO. Today I played exclusively with Callaway SuperSoft. I can live with the results if they are consistent thus I know my distances/numbers.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:37 pm
weimy froob wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:04 pm what balls did you play last year? today?
Combination of Callaway SuperSoft and Bridgestone e12 and Wilson DUO. Today I played exclusively with Callaway SuperSoft. I can live with the results if they are consistent thus I know my distances/numbers.
150 yards from an 8 iron is pretty standard distance for a single handicap golfer.
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Right, but the last couple of years, 150 I used by 9 iron. 160 was my 8 and 170 was my 7. That was my guide. I could never hit my 6, or 5, or 4 consistently in years past. However, so far this year I am hitting my 6 about 180 and my 5 around 200.

So it feels like the ball compression/hardness ( that is what she said) is a factor. My game has greatly improved from this time last year to today. Last year, I never would have dreamed of hitting a 6, or 5, or 4 iron. Today, I was hitting my 6 and 5 like butter. I just noticed the distances/yardages on my other irons seemed 1 club less.
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

Lots of factors on that yardage difference. Old golf balls? Your not swinging 100%, humidity, uphill, downhill.
Wind is different 40 ft up vs on the ground.

I will find out about my game today. Out to play my first round of the year at noon.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

first round at gopher hills. Have not played there in forever. Narrow fairways and fast greens.
for my first round since mid august, i will take my 98. 3 lost balls, 3 complete chunk shots, 4 missed putts under 5 ft.
KBinICT

Post by KBinICT »

Ball would make a difference, but it's your first round of the season...nothing I would worry about too much, honestly.
WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:57 pm Had a golf emergency today, 1st round of the season and carded an 85. 44 on the front and 41 on the back. Holes 11-17 had 7 straight pars (Ohh good for you) but doubled bogeyed the 18th due to a tee shot in the rough and approach shot into the sand bunker which I struggle mightily.

WannaBeProGolferGuy

Worst round of golf in the Western Hemisphere was played by yours truly this afternoon. Duck hook a driver, then followed up with my next drive with slicing into the opposing fairway, and then thinning a drive which went maybe 130 yards. Chunking 7 into the drink, pushing long irons to the right all the while pulling approach shots to the left.

The best was on #6, I bladed my 52 degree wedge off the green into a the rough. Had a nice lie as it was sitting on top of the thick rough. Had an elevated green so I thought lets' try a flop shot. I have practiced this and has worked when the ball is sitting on top of the grass. Well I scalded it over the green. However, it ended up on the #8 tee box. F'king golf

Only saving grace was #18 was a 216 Par 4 and I munched my 4 iron, 2 putt of birdie to end the round. Beers on me boys!!
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

TC_Robbie_81 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:49 am I played 9 holes yesterday. Some drunk guy pooped on the course or else we'd have played 18.
Not sure why they closed it down
I've heard of pools being closed down because of this but nevah golf courses....
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

I played Sand Trap in Cass Lake last week. Bemidji T & C had punched their greens and only playing 9 holes the 2 days I could play. I played my normal bogey golf. Fairways were dry so got some nice roll out.
That also changes how you are hitting your 2nd. Getting under the ball was tough.
Lots of pitch and runs to the green.
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Allrighty fellas, Played Tuesday afternoon and was absolutely brutal. Pissed off and bent out of shape. Went to the range to work on a few swing faults after my round which went over like a fart in church. Went home and consumed too many mood altering beverages. But went to the range on Wednesday to work on my swing faults. Went over like a fart in church.

Still pissed, upset, and disappointed with myself, I went to the range yesterday (Thursday) and lo and behold I was hitting the chit out of the ball. Couldn't believe it. Went home, smoked some Mary J coupled with Vodka lemonades and celebrated. This afternoon, went to the range and was hitting the chit out of the ball--Wedge through 5 iron

I noticed my stance was just a bit too wide thus causing my fat shots or thin shots. Narrowed it just a tad and Boom!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i talked to a guy today who wants me to join their sunday twilight group. they don't take it too seriously--he doesn't even keep score. drops another ball if he hits a bad shot and uses the foot wedge. i thin i'll pass--but i told him i'd think about it.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:03 pm i talked to a guy today who wants me to join their sunday twilight group. they don't take it too seriously--he doesn't even keep score. drops another ball if he hits a bad shot and uses the foot wedge. i thin i'll pass--but i told him i'd think about it.
Might be good to get out and socialize a bit Weimy....go for it!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Hornets wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:18 pm
weimy froob wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:03 pm i talked to a guy today who wants me to join their sunday twilight group. they don't take it too seriously--he doesn't even keep score. drops another ball if he hits a bad shot and uses the foot wedge. i thin i'll pass--but i told him i'd think about it.
i lived in the same house as two of the guys back in college. the other guy is one of the guys brother in law. i've never met him. i asked him what kind of games they were playing and he told me he didn't even keep score. lulz. i've got a shoulder issue--but i'm going to go hit a bucket of balls with a seven iron and see if i can still make a decent turn. if i can i think i might.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:31 pm
i lived in the same house as two of the guys back in college. the other guy is one of the guys brother in law. i've never met him. i asked him what kind of games they were playing and he told me he didn't even keep score. lulz. i've got a shoulder issue--but i'm going to go hit a bucket of balls with a seven iron and see if i can still make a decent turn. if i can i think i might.
I hope you do...keep us posted!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Hornets wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:32 pm

if i played i'd like it to be a little more competitive to keep focus. a skins game for example. i run into him every few weeks and we catch up on the BS. when i used to play score was important. i can throttle back on that now--but just hitting the ball without counting it? not a big fan of that. the thing is that he was a real good athlete and is still in good shape for being in his seventh decade. he used to talk about playing on the senior tour when he was in school--so i was pretty surprised when he told me that all it was was a mulligan special complete with foot wedges. :lol:
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:46 pm
Hornets wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:32 pm

if i played i'd like it to be a little more competitive to keep focus. a skins game for example. i run into him every few weeks and we catch up on the BS. when i used to play score was important. i can throttle back on that now--but just hitting the ball without counting it? not a big fan of that. the thing is that he was a real good athlete and is still in good shape for being in his seventh decade. he used to talk about playing on the senior tour when he was in school--so i was pretty surprised when he told me that all it was was a mulligan special complete with foot wedges. :lol:
:lol: I'm in my 7th decade and also in good shape...make that GREAT shape! I don't take golf seriously but I do keep score and rarely take a mulligan!
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

Played Legacy in Faribault the other day. Good shots, bad shots and missed putts for my normal score.
Weather was perfect.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

1st round of the year with my daughter today. Playing Como. It has always been a favorite course for me since I have played it so many times. My Daughter had her best round going last year sitting at 80 on the 18th tee box and they would not let her finish....sundown. She had never stayed under 90 as a new golfer.
So proud of her for finally learning the game and she continues to go see her golf instructor to keep things moving in the right direction.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

Clearly some changes in the budget for Como Park golf course.
I have never seen it as dry as yesterday. They do have irrigation.
Anything off the fairway is rock hard, and fairways not much better. A couple of well placed drives resulted in some good yardage.
Measured one at 310!

Tee boxes have not been seeded much this year, a few traps had weeds and plenty of brown on the greens.
I know that guy that was the greens keeper for many years before going to the indoor golf business.
He kept that course in great shape for the budget he had.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Sellingguy wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:37 am Clearly some changes in the budget for Como Park golf course.
I have never seen it as dry as yesterday. They do have irrigation.
Anything off the fairway is rock hard, and fairways not much better. A couple of well placed drives resulted in some good yardage.
Measured one at 310!

Tee boxes have not been seeded much this year, a few traps had weeds and plenty of brown on the greens.
I know that guy that was the greens keeper for many years before going to the indoor golf business.
He kept that course in great shape for the budget he had.
I drove by there yesterday, surprised I didn't see you! I did notice the course appeared to be in less than stellar shape.
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Hey Fella's, The last 2-3 months have been a real struggle for yours truly--even on the range. Me and the tax deduction golfed in mid-August and I would have exceeded triple-digits.

Well today, I said Fug It and decided to take the day off work and play a round of golf. Carded a 42 on the front and 43 on the back. Felt awesome to get the rythm and tempo back. No idea on how I did it but will take it. Even hit my 7 iron 170+-nice to see you my old friend!!!
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:03 pm Hey Fella's, The last 2-3 months have been a real struggle for yours truly--even on the range. Me and the tax deduction golfed in mid-August and I would have exceeded triple-digits.

Well today, I said Fug It and decided to take the day off work and play a round of golf. Carded a 42 on the front and 43 on the back. Felt awesome to get the rythm and tempo back. No idea on how I did it but will take it. Even hit my 7 iron 170+-nice to see you my old friend!!!
Nice!