Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

1st Time on the course 2023 Edition

WannaBeProGolferGuy

1st Time on the course 2023 Edition

Post by WannaBeProGolferGuy »

Local course opened their driving range today and of course after logging off the salt mines I had to go hit a bucket of balls. Late last summer, I changed from an interlocking grip to a baseball grip for the sole purpose of trying something different since my game had plateaued and was time to try something different.

Continued using the baseball grip, and overall, not bad considering I haven't swung a club since last October. I was hitting my wedges, 9 and 8 iron fat at times, then thin at times. I think I was raising my chest at impact. Sometimes the ball flight was a "pull" with said irons. Of which I suspect the ball was too forward in my stance. I moved it back 1/2 a ball revolution which seemed to correct it.

7 thru Driver was following instructions nicely today. :-D :-D

Thanks for listening fellow froobs and happy golf season!!
Billy Ray

Re: 1st Time on the course 2023 Edition

Post by Billy Ray »

No. Don't go to the baseball grip. You won't improve. Nothing more.

Focus on keeping yourself centered and not swaying (hips and shoulders) back on the backswing. Turn don't sway. That's the main cause for fat/thin shots.
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Billy Ray wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:33 pm No. Don't go to the baseball grip. You won't improve. Nothing more.

Focus on keeping yourself centered and not swaying (hips and shoulders) back on the backswing. Turn don't sway. That's the main cause for fat/thin shots.
Thank you for the feedback as I do appreciate it. My only reason to try the baseball grip late last summer was that to me it felt "more natural" than the interlocking grip. What I discovered was I could hit my long irons much more consistently using the baseball grip vs. the interlocking grip.

But none the less, I will keep your advice in my back pocket.
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

I might ramble over to the range tomorrow. my buddies are playing in hastings right now.
Just hoping the lefts went away over the winter with my driver.
First trip to the range will be with 7,8,9. Wont even put the bag in the car.
anthony

Post by anthony »

I tried the interlocking grip but it didn’t feel right. I overlap my pinkie finger.
3puttparguy

Post by 3puttparguy »

I'll be playing Pebble Creek in Becker on Tuesday.
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Sellingguy wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:52 am I might ramble over to the range tomorrow. my buddies are playing in hastings right now.
Hook or a Pull regarding the "Lefts"??
WannaBeProGolferGuy

anthony wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:45 pm I tried the interlocking grip but it didn’t feel right. I overlap my pinkie finger.
Hmm, never tried the overlap grip, Might have to give that a go. I am almost considering the inter-locking ( or overlap grip) with 9-Wedge and stick with the baseball grip with 8-Driver.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Played 27 holes down in South Carolina last weekend....hit some good ones, hit some bad ones!

FORE!!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:48 pm
Sellingguy wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:52 am I might ramble over to the range tomorrow. my buddies are playing in hastings right now.
more of a pull, but reality is just a ugly ass swing that fell apart last year as i was trying to play with a fucked up back and bad achilles tendon. my drive has been the most consistent shot for years.
Right down the middle, just a bit of a left to right, 230-250.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

3puttparguy wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:30 pm I'll be playing Pebble Creek in Becker on Tuesday.
Great course.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

3puttparguy wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:30 pm I'll be playing Pebble Creek in Becker on Tuesday.
Did you see their update? A little flooding going on.
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Sellingguy wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:43 am
more of a pull, but reality is just a ugly ass swing that fell apart last year as i was trying to play with a fucked up back and bad achilles tendon. my drive has been the most consistent shot for years.
I am not a swing coach by any stretch of the imagination. But, if your natural ball flight is left to right then that would be a fade (if your are a righty). If so, why not try to drop your front foot back a 2-4 inches and see if that counteracts the pull.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:11 pm
Sellingguy wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:43 am

I am not a swing coach by any stretch of the imagination. But, if your natural ball flight is left to right then that would be a fade (if your are a righty). If so, why not try to drop your front foot back a 2-4 inches and see if that counteracts the pull.
It really was nothing more then i didnt have my normal swing due to trying to protect my back and achilles. I could also feel my hands turning. It was just out of sync. Then it got into my head. I will be fine. I can tell from just swinging my 5 iron in the yard it is pretty much back. I will find out soon I guess.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

a kid from woodbury hit a 340 hole in one at Wedgewood cove in Albert Lea
3puttparguy

Post by 3puttparguy »

Sellingguy wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:54 am
Back 9/local 9 across the road. #2 and 3 are always wet early. I can about imagine what it looks like now.
The local 9 isn't the greatest but I'll take it.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

3puttparguy wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:00 pm
Back 9/local 9 across the road. #2 and 3 are always wet early. I can about imagine what it looks like now.
I think a few courses that are planning on opening this week are going to back off.
3puttparguy

Post by 3puttparguy »

Sellingguy wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:43 am
3puttparguy wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:00 pm

I think a few courses that are planning on opening this week are going to back off.
The putting green in my house is getting worn out.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

Best day of the week is Tues at 53 degrees.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

First bucket of 80 balls. 9 7 4 and driver. powered up to about 75%
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Sellingguy wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 3:56 pm First bucket of 80 balls. 9 7 4 and driver. powered up to about 75%
perfect day for golf. sometimes i get the bug--but then i feel that ache in the arm and the lower back and know that it's probably not going to happen. maybe if i hit a couple of buckets i'd get a better feel for my situation. i know i put a strain on my lower back when i play a lot of golf. which i used to do. maybe a round a week--but then i figure what's the sense of that too. if i'm going to play i want to play. i was like you too-i'd get out there early and get the shoes soaked with dew--but nobody slowed me down. always walking though. i don't get the full golf experience in a cart.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

weimy froob wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:29 pm
Sellingguy wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 3:56 pm First bucket of 80 balls. 9 7 4 and driver. powered up to about 75%
perfect day for golf. sometimes i get the bug--but then i feel that ache in the arm and the lower back and know that it's probably not going to happen. maybe if i hit a couple of buckets i'd get a better feel for my situation. i know i put a strain on my lower back when i play a lot of golf. which i used to do. maybe a round a week--but then i figure what's the sense of that too. if i'm going to play i want to play. i was like you too-i'd get out there early and get the shoes soaked with dew--but nobody slowed me down. always walking though. i don't get the full golf experience in a cart.
Im going to go hit balls everyday. I need to get to the point of enjoying the game again. Last year was just brutal for many reasons. My knees and heel cant handle the walk.
Need to try to get out and play a round before I head Up North in a couple of weeks. I am playing Bemidji T & C and I do not want that to be my first round of the year.
One of the issues last year was the overall swing causing lefts! Yesterday 98% of my shots were my normal shot with those clubs. the 9 and 7 are my new irons and the bottom line is I can over swing them. I just need to hit them. The 7 was flying the 150 marker. Based on where they had the hitting area set up, I think it was about 140 out, so that is correct for that club.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i've got this ache in the crook of my arm that i think i got from shoveling snow this winter. it's definitely getting better--but it's still there. i'd enjoy the game if i could play it without an ache. once i started up again i know i'd like to play close to my capabilities though--and that's not going to happen if i only play one round a week. maybe i'd be satisfied just doing that--but it's a moot point until the arm is fine.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

the difference between scores in the 90s and the mid-low 80s and lower is all with how well you use the wedges and putter. that's feel for me and that means i have to be out at the course practicing/playing. playing once a week and the short game is going to be mediocre at best.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

weimy froob wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:21 am the difference between scores in the 90s and the mid-low 80s and lower is all with how well you use the wedges and putter. that's feel for me and that means i have to be out at the course practicing/playing. playing once a week and the short game is going to be mediocre at best.
Yeah I know where i give up most my strokes. Just like everyone else, inside 50 yards of the pin. 2 shots to get there, 3-4 more to go 50 fucking yards.
But last year I was giving up strokes off the tee box and my 2nd shot.
And Im happy with a 90 or close in most cases as I am playing courses that I only play 1 time a year so I dont know them. A 90 at Como pisses me off. I know that course and just have to make my putts to shoot 80.
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Went to the local range on Wednesday and Thursday after logging off the salt mines, result was mehh. Lot's and lot's of thinned shots. Felt like I was standing up at impact (which IMO is my biggest swing fault). I.e. I progress from 52 degree wedge up through driver. First shot with each iron is crisp and nicely compressed.
However, the subsequent 2-5 shots are thinned. I think I am trying to swing too hard. However, when I get into that mode it's very difficult (for me) to get out of said mode.
Oddly enough, 3 wood & 4 wood off the deck along with 4 iron, 5 iron, and 6 iron were smooth and crisp since I know I have to swing slow to make consistent contact.
Roy Kent

Post by Roy Kent »

WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:21 pm Went to the local range on Wednesday and Thursday after logging off the salt mines, result was mehh. Lot's and lot's of thinned shots. Felt like I was standing up at impact (which IMO is my biggest swing fault). I.e. I progress from 52 degree wedge up through driver. First shot with each iron is crisp and nicely compressed.
However, the subsequent 2-5 shots are thinned. I think I am trying to swing too hard. However, when I get into that mode it's very difficult (for me) to get out of said mode.
Oddly enough, 3 wood & 4 wood off the deck along with 4 iron, 5 iron, and 6 iron were smooth and crisp since I know I have to swing slow to make consistent contact.

Thin shots suck! Try this trick. Instead of looking at the ball when you swing, look at a blade of grass directly in front of the ball for your short irons. Imagine keeping your head as still as possible as you rotate through your swing (it's impossible but try it!). Then keep your eye on that blade of grass until after the ball has been struck. So many golfers want to follow the ball with their eyes before they've hit it. You're on the range, who cares where the ball goes, just work on keeping your eye on that blade of grass every time. :beer:
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Roy Kent wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:42 am
WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:21 pm Went to the local range on Wednesday and Thursday after logging off the salt mines, result was mehh. Lot's and lot's of thinned shots. Felt like I was standing up at impact (which IMO is my biggest swing fault). I.e. I progress from 52 degree wedge up through driver. First shot with each iron is crisp and nicely compressed.

Thin shots suck! Try this trick. Instead of looking at the ball when you swing, look at a blade of grass directly in front of the ball for your short irons. Imagine keeping your head as still as possible as you rotate through your swing (it's impossible but try it!). Then keep your eye on that blade of grass until after the ball has been struck. So many golfers want to follow the ball with their eyes before they've hit it. You're on the range, who cares where the ball goes, just work on keeping your eye on that blade of grass every time. :beer:
:clap: :clap: It never dawned on me to focus on a blade of grass in front of the ball. I will try that. Thank you good sir!
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

The biggest difference from range to fairway. How many practice swings do you take on the range other then warming up if you do.

Me, one half swing when i change clubs. Then hit hit hit.

when i am playing with my buddies we all end up doing what we call the practice shot after a horrible one.
And it is funny how many times we can drop another ball, step up and nail it. No practice swing. But the shot we screwed up on, 2 or 3 for most people. As Chi Chi told me years ago, get up and hit the ball.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »