Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***2023 Froob NFL Mock Draft*** Completed

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Coach Guy

Re: ***2023 Froob NFL Mock Draft*** Coach Guy OTC

Post by Coach Guy »

Chicago Selects Karl Brooks, DL, Bowling Green

Smart and productive player who has the potential to play multiple positions with his height/weight combination.

Chicago Recap-

9) Lukas Van Ness (DE) Iowa
53) Steve Avila (OL) TCU
61) Emmanuel Forbes (CB) MS St
64) Matthew Bergeron (OL) Syracuse
103) Byron Young (Edge) TN
133) Sean Tucker (RB) Syracuse
136) Dorian Thompson-Robinson (QB) UCLA
148) Charlie Jones (WR) Purdue
218) Xavier Smith (WR) FL A&M
258) Karl Brooks (DL) Bowling Green

10 darts here that Rick Spielman would be proud of. Poles took shots with multiple high upside players. Expect a couple of studs out of this draft class minimum.
Jefferson: If the Vikings open the pass game: C+ If the Vikings stubbornly run ball: D
Gladney: We got my 3rd rated corner, along with assets from trading down and the draft board played out perfectly: A (a rare A from me)

-Mlhouse draft grades :clap:
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Coach Guy wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:33 pm Chicago Selects Karl Brooks, DL, Bowling Green

Smart and productive player who has the potential to play multiple positions with his height/weight combination.

Chicago Recap-

53) Steve Avila (OL) TCU

10 darts here that Rick Spielman would be proud of. Poles took shots with multiple high upside players. Expect a couple of studs out of this draft class minimum.
Brooks was selected in 4th round.
Coach Guy

Post by Coach Guy »

mlhouse wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:59 pm
Coach Guy wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:33 pm Chicago Selects Karl Brooks, DL, Bowling Green

Chicago Recap-

53) Steve Avila (OL) TCU

Brooks was selected in 4th round.
*Cory Durden, DT, NC State
Jefferson: If the Vikings open the pass game: C+ If the Vikings stubbornly run ball: D
Gladney: We got my 3rd rated corner, along with assets from trading down and the draft board played out perfectly: A (a rare A from me)

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Oriole81

Re: ***2023 Froob NFL Mock Draft***

Post by Oriole81 »

Style wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:27 pm In. I’d choose Houston, but will be good with any. Thanks for organizing.
Hou
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: ***2023 Froob NFL Mock Draft*** Style: Mr Irrelevant OTC

Post by RubeTube »

I bet I know the last pick
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Style

Post by Style »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:53 pm I bet I know the last pick
You guessed right!

Tanner Morgan, QB, Minnesota :lol: :lol:

I mean, let’s have some fun here!

Oriole you did a phenomenal job of keeping us all on task. Great work. Fun mock. Perfect timing with the real deal now right around the corner. Cheers fellas. Great work! Lots of fun.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Style wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:47 pm
You guessed right!

Oriole you did a phenomenal job of keeping us all on task. Great work. Fun mock. Perfect timing with the real deal now right around the corner. Cheers fellas. Great work! Lots of fun.
I was going to say Stetson Bennett
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Ya thanks Oriole

I look forward to the draft just to see where my guys stack up.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Style

Post by Style »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:57 pm
You guessed right!

In real life, that’s a pretty good pick. I like him late.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Style wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:18 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:57 pm

You guessed right!

In real life, that’s a pretty good pick. I like him late.
I almost took him with WASH with my last pick just in case Hooker doesn’t work out but they spent a 5th on Howell last year and probably wouldn’t carry all those QBs.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
somuchyummy

Re: ***2023 Froob NFL Mock Draft*** Completed

Post by somuchyummy »

stetson kind of ruined his chances with his drunken shenanigans. the guy i was on the verge of drafting is a LB out of Arkansas by the name of ...
Spoiler:
Bumper PoolImage
Last edited by somuchyummy on Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i think the two guys i was most surprised for going undrafted was a FB out of NDSU (i think, maybe UND) by the name of Hunter Luepke. Scouts say he's absolutely going to be a starting FB in the league - but then the question is: how many teams actually use a FB anymore? and then the other MIA draftee is the other Mekhi CB - Garner out of LSU. Mekhi Blackmon, a CB from USC (i think) did get taken in the 4th round at 122. But, for one example, the newest CBS 7 round mock has our undrafted Mekhi Garner going in the fifth round at 146 - and Mekhi Blackmon going all the way back at 179 in the sixth round.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:24 pm i think the two guys i was most surprised for going undrafted was a FB out of NDSU (i think, maybe UND) by the name of Hunter Luepke. Scouts say he's absolutely going to be a starting FB in the league - but then the question is: how many teams actually use a FB anymore? and then the other MIA draftee is the other Mekhi CB - Garner out of LSU. Mekhi Blackmon, a CB from USC (i think) did get taken in the 4th round at 122. But, for one example, the newest CBS 7 round mock has our undrafted Mekhi Garner going in the fifth round at 146 - and Mekhi Blackmon going all the way back at 179 in the sixth round.
The log will be laid. Just let it happen. It will creep from the bowels and turn into a beautiful scene.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:50 am
somuchyummy wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:24 pm i think the two guys i was most surprised for going undrafted was a FB out of NDSU (i think, maybe UND) by the name of Hunter Luepke. Scouts say he's absolutely going to be a starting FB in the league - but then the question is: how many teams actually use a FB anymore? and then the other MIA draftee is the other Mekhi CB - Garner out of LSU. Mekhi Blackmon, a CB from USC (i think) did get taken in the 4th round at 122. But, for one example, the newest CBS 7 round mock has our undrafted Mekhi Garner going in the fifth round at 146 - and Mekhi Blackmon going all the way back at 179 in the sixth round.
The log will be laid. Just let it happen. It will creep from the bowels and turn into a beautiful scene.
i could not have foreseen this comment in a million years.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Oh yeah, prob should have taken him over my 7th rd CB for Philly.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

I just want to thank everyone as well.
I think we finished with 11 guys still going, which is awesome. And for the guys that I knew would be dropping out early, most of them still stuck it out through 4 rounds, which is great as well.

I had a blast doing this, and it will be fun to see how we do.
Bump the thread if you have any obscure ones that hit, like me hitting on Vederian Lowe for the Vikes last year, or the year before with the Packers when I had them deferring WR again into the mid rounds and taking Amari Rodgers.
Last edited by Oriole81 on Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Oriole81 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:42 am
I just looked him up again, and many sites say he may end up having to go to safety.
May be why he didn’t show up on the sites I was looking at at the end for day 3 CBs
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Oriole81 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:09 pm
I just looked him up again, and many sites say he may end up having to go to safety.
May be why he didn’t show up on the sites I was looking at at the end for day 3 CBs
May have to move to S, but then that should actually increase his value because of the flexibility to take the corner occasionally. Sort of the Brian branch argument - in reverse.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:41 am
Sorry, I killed a 18 pack last night. Don’t even know what this was about.

Banzai!
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Oriole81 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:44 am I just want to thank everyone as well.
I think we finished with 11 guys still going, which is awesome. And for the guys that I knew would be dropping out early, most of them still stuck it out through 4 rounds, which is great as well.

Bump the thread if you have any obscure ones that hit, like me hitting on Vederian Lowe for the Vikes last year, or the year before with the Packers when I had them deferring WR again into the mid rounds and taking Amari Rodgers.
Thanks for running this and to those who covered for me. Sorry I got banned for a month, but It was fun to follow along. :thumbsup:
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:55 pm

Banzai!
well, then i commend you for three complete sentences with punctuation. good work!
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:33 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:55 pm

Banzai!
well, then i commend you for three complete sentences with punctuation. good work!
I think it was meant for another thread. :thinking:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:42 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:09 pm

May have to move to S, but then that should actually increase his value because of the flexibility to take the corner occasionally. Sort of the Brian branch argument - in reverse.
Maybe, maybe not.
If you're a mediocre CB prospect, you're a mediocre CB prospect.
If you have to be spend time with the safeties room in order to justify your spot, you're not going to get better as a CB prospect.

So then you're just a back of the roster guy trying to learn a new position, going against other guys that have played the position for most of their careers.

At some point it's just nice to know a guy can play A position, even if he's just going to be a depth piece and special teams player his whole rookie contract.
That's what I liked about Nic Jones for the Eagles in the 7th. He doesn't have "upside" bigger than a 4th or 5th CB, but he'll be a special teams ace from day one, and we're a contender today. That has value for us, vs a guy that may have more "upside," but who may have to season on the practice squad for two years in order to grow into a contributor.

I think the biggest ways to make that up though, is intelligence and special teams.

If you're going to make the switch quick, then you need to be intelligent. Think Cam Bynum, part of the reason why he was so successful so fast was because of how smart he was coming from Cal.

Also, while you're learning the new position if you're going to make the roster, you're going to have to be a big contributor on special teams. That is not a given because like I said, Jones was attractive to us with our last pick because of what he will bring on special teams.

Just some of my thoughts on late round upside vs guys with less upside but that will provide more immediate return.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i'm just looking at talent. and i think the three best DBs in the draft are Gonsalez, Witherspoon and Branch. just my opinion. so instead of taking the fifth or sixth rated CB, we'd take one of the top three DBs - and expect our new defensive mastermind to figure out how to make it work best. i think i read somewhere (maybe in this thread) that Branch lined up last year as a trade S in only like 14% of the snaps. the rest of the time they had him positioned all over the field. it'd be like "positionless basketball"!
Last edited by somuchyummy on Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:25 am i'm just looking at talent. and i think the three best DBs in the draft are Gonsalez, Witherspoon and Branch. just my opinion. so instead of taking the fifth or sixth rated CB, we'd take one of the top three DBs.
Two different conversations.

Yours above is about top of the draft guys that have all the physical upside, on top of elite on the field production.
I was talking back of the draft options, where "upside" is often a nice way of saying a bad overall player.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

ForCaleb wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:19 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:44 am I just want to thank everyone as well.

Thanks for running this and to those who covered for me. Sorry I got banned for a month, but It was fun to follow along. :thumbsup:
Yeah, sorry to hear that.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:25 am i'm just looking at talent. and i think the three best DBs in the draft are Gonsalez, Witherspoon and Branch. just my opinion. so instead of taking the fifth or sixth rated CB, we'd take one of the top three DBs - and expect our new defensive mastermind to figure out how to make it work best. i think i read somewhere (maybe in this thread) that Branch lined up last year as a trade S in only like 14% of the snaps. the rest of the time they had him positioned all over the field. it'd be like "positionless basketball"!
And I'll add, in regards to the Vikes and Branch, I think I'd rather just draft Porter or Banks.

I like the idea of Murphy playing outside in base, and then moving into the slot in nickle.
If you draft Branch, then yeah he covers the nickle, but then that means Murphy is on the outside the whole time.

I don't think I like that as much.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Coach Guy

Post by Coach Guy »

Coach Guy wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:13 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:07 pm
Coach Guy wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:05 pm

I'm sure they will maneuver as needed to grab a WR. You didn't have that luxury, but someone like Trey Palmer over Mckee seems more realistic, and I disagree that IOL is near as high of a need as speed opposite Jefferson at WR.
The back end of every draft is flooded with traits based WR projects. They're not hard to come by.
As it is with Tanner Mckee and Nate Stanleys. I'm taking the speed at WR because that trait alone can contribute more to our offense than anything else imo. Let's see how long they wait on it in a couple weeks!
Didn't wait long to get that WR

Coach Guy

Re: ***2023 Froob NFL Mock Draft*** Rube Tube OTC

Post by Coach Guy »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:29 pm
Coach Guy wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:20 pm
mlhouse wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:15 pm

I cant even see how Forbes is a draftable player. He weighed 166 lbs at the combine. That is just too damn small.
:lol:

That's the one and only knock on him. Long, pick master, fast, elite cover corner. I'll take him being light. You can gain weight but you can't teach talent. Put him in an NFL program he will be fine. You rated him way too low if you actually watched tape. Idk what you are thinking.
i don't know, man. i've got a couple of tall skinny 19 year olds that are about forbes' size. and they'd get destroyed by NFL players. i have no idea how forbes would remain healthy with that kind of weight deficit. and yeah, he can gain weight... or can he? kind of odd that he hasn't yet, knowing the path he's on. maybe he's one of those guys who just remain rail thin. i'd worry his tackling style would mimic what jeff van gundy once did to alonzo mourning's leg. remember that? if not, look it up.
Good call, kids.