Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

I need new irons….

anthony

I need new irons….

Post by anthony »

Any suggestions? I’m thinking of getting standard flex graphite shafts, no idea on the club brand yet, I’m not sure how much of a difference that makes… I’m in my 50’s now, I’ve never been a big hitter, but I can hit the ball pretty straight. I am pretty consistent and can hit a 7 iron about 140 yards.

I’ve never been fitted for clubs before, is it worth it?

Thoughts and prayers accepted ….
Big Head

Re: I need new irons….

Post by Big Head »

If you are pretty consistent now, you probably don't need new irons...
anthony

Post by anthony »

Big Head wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:22 pm If you are pretty consistent now, you probably don't need new irons...
They’re 25 years old. They’re steel shaft and I’m not getting any younger.
Billy Ray

Post by Billy Ray »

anthony wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:15 pm
Big Head wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:22 pm If you are pretty consistent now, you probably don't need new irons...
You'll be surprised at how forgiving new technology has become. Get a new set of irons. I'd do the fitting although it looks like they'll give you senior flex shafts. Places like PGA Superstore give free fittings with a club purchase.
3puttparguy

Post by 3puttparguy »

Need to know what clubs and shafts you have. Your 7 iron/140 could be a lot different than what's on the shelf.
It really depends on how anal you want to get dialing in the right set. I'd recommend before you schedule a fitting go into SS when it isn't too busy and hit as many used/new clubs you can. Narrow it down to clubs that fit your eye and feel good. Keep track of any consistencies regarding shaft flex and weight. A regular flex in one brand head might perform different in another.
Do all that homework and a good fitter should be able to get you set within an hour. And you'll have a set that you'll like looking down at, rather than maybe compromising a little because the fitter doesn't have all that time to spend figuring that out. They might not even show you excellent condition used clubs, if you're open to that.
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Post by WannaBeProGolferGuy »

anthony wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:04 am Any suggestions? I’m thinking of getting standard flex graphite shafts, no idea on the club brand yet, I’m not sure how much of a difference that makes… I’m in my 50’s now, I’ve never been a big hitter, but I can hit the ball pretty straight. I am pretty consistent and can hit a 7 iron about 140 yards.

Absolutely 10000% get fitted, especially for irons since the correct fit is based upon your swing speed and length from your wrist to the floor. I got fitted for new irons 4 years ago and my advice to you is do NOT be brand specific. During said fitting you will hit a variety of different irons based upon your swing speed. You will totally tell which irons perform based upon your swing.
Billy Ray

Post by Billy Ray »

WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:36 pm
anthony wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:04 am Any suggestions? I’m thinking of getting standard flex graphite shafts, no idea on the club brand yet, I’m not sure how much of a difference that makes… I’m in my 50’s now, I’ve never been a big hitter, but I can hit the ball pretty straight. I am pretty consistent and can hit a 7 iron about 140 yards.

Absolutely 10000% get fitted, especially for irons since the correct fit is based upon your swing speed and length from your wrist to the floor. I got fitted for new irons 4 years ago and my advice to you is do NOT be brand specific. During said fitting you will hit a variety of different irons based upon your swing speed. You will totally tell which irons perform based upon your swing.
When I was fit I said I like the look of a thin top line on my iron. Gets too thick and it doesn't help me mentally. So how they feel at address might be something to consider.
anthony

Post by anthony »

Thanks!!
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

the club is only as good as your swing. I changed irons last year, not fitted, nor were the old ones.
It is a adjustment, but it was more how fucked up I was last year in my swing.
I dont take the game serious enough to get fitted and I get such good prices from my guy, I really dont care.
If you are going to get fitted, go play some sims golf so you are at least in swing shape at time of fitting.
I got wilson launch pads. They are suppose to be a forgiving easy to swing club for us older guys.
I tended to over swing them since my last clubs were a steel shaft. I just need to dial in the swing on them and they are fine. higher launch on them, lower roll out.
150 is my 7 iron.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

If you're going to buy a new set of clubs, I'd suggest buying them at a place that offers free fittings with the purchase. I know Dicks offers it, but there's also plenty of local stores that should as well.

Personally, I've never been a fan of graphite shafts, but a lot of guys in their 50's+ do like them.

Like SG mentioned, the Wilson LaunchPads are a fantastic budget club that are forgiving. They've come a long way with their clubs.
anthony

Post by anthony »

ForCaleb wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:08 am

If you're going to buy a new set of clubs, I'd suggest buying them at a place that offers free fittings with the purchase. I know Dicks offers it, but there's also plenty of local stores that should as well.

Personally, I've never been a fan of graphite shafts, but a lot of guys in their 50's+ do like them.

Like SG mentioned, the Wilson LaunchPads are a fantastic budget club that are forgiving. They've come a long way with their clubs.
👍
anthony

Post by anthony »

Sellingguy wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:52 pm the club is only as good as your swing. I changed irons last year, not fitted, nor were the old ones.
It is a adjustment, but it was more how fucked up I was last year in my swing.
I dont take the game serious enough to get fitted and I get such good prices from my guy, I really dont care.
If you are going to get fitted, go play some sims golf so you are at least in swing shape at time of fitting.
I got wilson launch pads. They are suppose to be a forgiving easy to swing club for us older guys.
I tended to over swing them since my last clubs were a steel shaft. I just need to dial in the swing on them and they are fine. higher launch on them, lower roll out.
150 is my 7 iron.
👍
Big Head

Post by Big Head »

anthony wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:15 pm
All that most people are looking for out of their irons is consistency - regardless of how old the irons are or what the shaft is made out of.

Agree with Sellingguy that if you are getting fitted, make sure you have your "mid-season swing" going rather than your "I haven't swung a club since the snow fell swing". Don't want to get fit for the wrong swing.
ocsid

Post by ocsid »

ForCaleb wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:08 am

Wilson always made good clubs in the WS Staff line. They just got a bad rap because they became known for starter sets at Walmart and such.

I'm not a serious golfer. Maybe someday I'll have more time to get into it seriously. But last year I bought an old set of Wilson Staff Fat Shaft IV Irons. They were meant to be super forgiving, but they failed commercially because they were considered weird. I hit the ball noticeably straighter with these irons. I thought it was a gimmick, but they made a difference. Kind of a cult set - there are still people who swear by them, even though they're 15-20 years old now.
Proud member of the Low-T Posse®
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

I have ended up with a bag full of wilsons.
I got the driver that came out of the show they did called Driver VS Driver.
The place I get all my golf supplies had 4 left 3 years ago and put them on Facebook at $50.00 per club.
Bought it with out touching it. I love it. Didnt change the set up at all.
Before that I had gone in to buy a driver, talked to my guy there, and he said, you dont need a new driver, go hit some putts. Hit putts with a bunch of putters. Picked up the last one and dropped 4 in a row. I will take that one. Its a wilson, retail $70.00 Got it for $25.00.

Last year I went in and hit irons. Liked the wilsons and got a heck of a deal.
My old set was WS as well with the hybird 3 and 4 iron. love both those clubs.

Last year I suddenly got a case of the Lefts off the tee box. Never ever do I hit left. Could not get it corrected mostly due to playing with a fucked up back and achilles all season.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

harvey penick said a case of the lefts is an easy fix. it's when you have a case of the rights that it's difficult. i've got two dozen shiny pro V 1 balls that i don't know will ever see the golf course with me. i didn't think so when i bought them--but i might be not getting out to the course after all. i don't have the desire to play these days and until that comes back i'm not going to. doesn't help that my great push cart went missing. i don't like to ride when i play and that was an important part of the equipment. a couple hundred bucks.
ocsid

Post by ocsid »

I stopped carrying a driver. Just went to 3, 5, and 7 woods.
My golf buddy and I said that we've started to play old man golf. Hit it short, but hit it straight.
Proud member of the Low-T Posse®
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

ocsid wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:56 pm I stopped carrying a driver. Just went to 3, 5, and 7 woods.
My golf buddy and I said that we've started to play old man golf. Hit it short, but hit it straight.
Played a round many years ago with a old guy. He had 4 clubs and a putter.
3 wood
5, 7 and 9
He shot a 79.
3puttparguy

Post by 3puttparguy »

Sellingguy wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:32 pm
ocsid wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:56 pm I stopped carrying a driver. Just went to 3, 5, and 7 woods.
Played a round many years ago with a old guy. He had 4 clubs and a putter.
3 wood
5, 7 and 9
He shot a 79.
Many many years ago I started playing at 7. Rode my huffy(with the sissy bar and ape hangers) 4 miles to the muni 9 hole. Sawed-off 5 wood/7 iron/putter in hands across the bars and 3 balls in the pocket. Ran(literally) 5-6 times around that 5800 yard track, rode home, and did it all over the next day. Did that the next year, too. Wanted to be Trevino. When I was 9 I got my set of Jr. Chi Chi Rod blades. Driver/3 wood/3-5-7-9 and a cool bag. Thought I was the shit.
Now, I have no idea why I have 14 clubs in my bag when I could get by with 6 and shoot dang near the same. Driver/5/7/9/52 and a putter.