Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves Playoff Seeding Race Thread

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
YBBR

Re: Wolves Playoff Seeding Race Thread

Post by YBBR »

T_J wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:25 pm
YBBR wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:33 pm I am so sick of Mark Jackson.
Mama, there goes that man.
Even Breen who is pretty good. JVG has to go to. Those 3 have just been around too long. I've had enough of their banter. Heard one game with those 3, heard em all.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

thinktank wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:28 pm
YBBR wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:23 pm I think Clippers winning would be preferable in this Lakers game. I could see the Lakers dropping both games remaining games more easily. Facing both the Suns and a decent Jazz team. Clippers still have a gimme with the Trailblazers left.
Yep.

Pels play Knicks, who have nothing to play for.
If we win Sunday vs Pelicans and we are tied in the standings after, do we have the tiebreaker on the Pelicans?
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

aztimberwolves wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:30 pm
Karen wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:28 pm
YBBR wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:23 pm I think Clippers winning would be preferable in this Lakers game. I could see the Lakers dropping both games remaining games more easily. Facing both the Suns and a decent Jazz team. Clippers still have a gimme with the Trailblazers left.
Yep.

Pels play Knicks, who have nothing to play for.
If we win Sunday vs Pelicans and we are tied in the standings after, do we have the tiebreaker on the Pelicans?
We would have the tiebreaker. We are currently 1-1 in the season series. So the winner would get the tiebreaker. So within 1 game either way, that game is huge.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

So if we win out, the worst we can get is 8th and not get any help from the others if I’m doing my math correct?

Man the difference between 8/9 is huge as it takes 2 losses with one one at home if you’re the 8th seed. 9’all it takes is one loss for your season to be over.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

aztimberwolves wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:34 pm So if we win out, the worst we can get is 8th and not get any help from the others if I’m doing my math correct?

Man the difference between 8/9 is huge as it takes 2 losses with one one at home if you’re the 8th seed. 9’all it takes is one loss for your season to be over.
Yes. That's how I look at it too. I want them to get into that 7/8 seed game. If they win that they go up against the Grizz, too. Revenge is a dish best served cold and all that. 9/10 is far too precarious to feel good about anything.
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

YBBR wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:37 pm
aztimberwolves wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:34 pm So if we win out, the worst we can get is 8th and not get any help from the others if I’m doing my math correct?

Yes. That's how I look at it too. I want them to get into that 7/8 seed game. If they win that they go up against the Grizz, too. Revenge is a dish best served cold and all that. 9/10 is far too precarious to feel good about anything.
Thanks for the info BTW.

Yeah 9/10 is just something I’d want to avoid. Hell I’d like to get 6 seed but that damn loss to Portland ruined that dream I think.

Just think if this team could have won just a few games especially against the shitty teams that we always seem to lose against. Seriously we’d be talking home court advantage in the 1st round. I just don’t understand how we can lose so many games to shitty teams year in and year out.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Bet it's going to turn into a mini 3 game playoff series with Pelicans.
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

LordNu wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:28 am Bet it's going to turn into a mini 3 game playoff series with Pelicans.
It can only be 2 games with them. If we win Sunday we would prolly play Lakers in 1st round and if we lose, prolly end up playing Pelicans.

If we lose Sunday we wound need to beat Dallas/Okc then need to beat pelicans on their home court. We need to win Friday as well as Saturday at all costs.

7 vs 8 I first round round- winner is 7 seed playing 2 seed
9 vs 10- winner moves on to play loser of 7 vs 8 at that team. Winner is 8 seed vs 1 seed
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

I hope the best for the Wolves. There are lot of crazy considerations statistically from top to bottom.

Sky Spy in the Sky !
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

aztimberwolves wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:48 am
LordNu wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:28 am Bet it's going to turn into a mini 3 game playoff series with Pelicans.
It can only be 2 games with them. If we win Sunday we would prolly play Lakers in 1st round and if we lose, prolly end up playing Pelicans.

If we lose Sunday we wound need to beat Dallas/Okc then need to beat pelicans on their home court. We need to win Friday as well as Saturday at all costs.

9 vs 10- winner moves on to play loser of 7 vs 8 at that team. Winner is 8 seed vs 1 seed
I thought it was 7 v 10 and 8 v 9, then if top side loses, they replay... eep.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

aztimberwolves wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:42 pm
YBBR wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:37 pm

Thanks for the info BTW.

Yeah 9/10 is just something I’d want to avoid. Hell I’d like to get 6 seed but that damn loss to Portland ruined that dream I think.

Just think if this team could have won just a few games especially against the shitty teams that we always seem to lose against. Seriously we’d be talking home court advantage in the 1st round. I just don’t understand how we can lose so many games to shitty teams year in and year out.
that loss still grates and it'll probably be one that we're all looking at when the final standings are set. inexplicable.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Even if the Wolves go .500 against the shitty teams this season they're in the 5/6 mix pretty easily. Shocking that those losses would come back to haunt.
Let's get Tropical
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

I like that we’re getting ample time to rest / heal.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

jffl_commish wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:52 am Even if the Wolves go .500 against the shitty teams this season they're in the 5/6 mix pretty easily. Shocking that those losses would come back to haunt.
I don't think our players are smart enough to realize that. They probably look at the standings dumbfounded.
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

LordNu wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:56 am

If we lose Sunday we wound need to beat Dallas/Okc then need to beat pelicans on their home court. We need to win Friday as well as Saturday at all costs

Nope. Remember last year we played the Clippers? We won, we advanced but the Clippers played the Pelicans in LA and they lost that one too so the Pelicans advanced to face the Suns
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Wolves need to go 2-0
Pelicans 1-1 and lakers 1-1

Then we get the 7th seed and two tries at the play in
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:51 am Wolves need to go 2-0

two tries at the 8th seed too. 2-0 guarantees them that.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:00 am
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:51 am Wolves need to go 2-0

two tries at the 8th seed too. 2-0 guarantees them that.
And we're a better road team than a home team lately. 7 or 8 is fine.

Win out and we should get there.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Billy Ray

Post by Billy Ray »

Our next 2 games are early afternoon games. We suck at those.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Who has a better running, twisting, fadeaway jumpshot than Ingram?

NO ONE. And that terrifies me.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

thinktank wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:22 am Who has a better running, twisting, fadeaway jumpshot than Ingram?

seems like they're going to have to defeat the pelicans at least once if they want to play in a seven game series.
T_J

Post by T_J »

Moses Scurry wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:27 am
jffl_commish wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:52 am Even if the Wolves go .500 against the shitty teams this season they're in the 5/6 mix pretty easily. Shocking that those losses would come back to haunt.
I don't think our players are smart enough to realize that. They probably look at the standings dumbfounded.
There are at least 12 wtf losses they’ve dumped this year. It’s a long season, some happen. But not going on multiple game losing streaks many times this year and losing to tanking teams like it’s our job, you can easily cherry pick 4-5 wins of those which would have them at a 4 seed. It’s not even asking that much really.
PanicWolf

Post by PanicWolf »

T_J wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:45 am
There are at least 12 wtf losses they’ve dumped this year. It’s a long season, some happen. But not going on multiple game losing streaks many times this year and losing to tanking teams like it’s our job, you can easily cherry pick 4-5 wins of those which would have them at a 4 seed. It’s not even asking that much really.

This is the worst part of the season more than the Rudy fit and I don’t think they are connected issues. If you put in the absolute least amount of acceptable effort into 4 more games this season (against teams already designed to lose) wolves are already in a 7 game playoff series.
T_J

Post by T_J »

PanicWolf wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:13 am
T_J wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:45 am

This is the worst part of the season more than the Rudy fit and I don’t think they are connected issues. If you put in the absolute least amount of acceptable effort into 4 more games this season (against teams already designed to lose) wolves are already in a 7 game playoff series.
Yeah. And a lot of these BS losses should be convincing, capital W’s. I’m not sure how many blow out wins we have this year, but certainly not as many as you’d have expected.

The west is so wide open too. If It all did fit, we’d all be pretty excited about a run we haven’t seen in 20 years. I shouldn’t even be mad at them and place the blame where it belongs, on myself for thinking last year was an ascension point and not a peak.
PanicWolf

Post by PanicWolf »

If you are blaming yourself Glen Taylor has won.
T_J

Post by T_J »

PanicWolf wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:04 am If you are blaming yourself Glen Taylor has won.
Semi-tongue in cheek, but you’re right.

Fuck Glen.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

thinktank wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:22 am Who has a better running, twisting, fadeaway jumpshot than Ingram?

BI is the closest thing to Kevin Durant but with no Zion we should take them.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:32 pm
Karen wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:22 am Who has a better running, twisting, fadeaway jumpshot than Ingram?

BI is the closest thing to Kevin Durant but with no Zion we should take them.
Hope so because he can shoot over anyone but maybe McDaniels.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

aztimberwolves wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:29 am
LordNu wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:56 am

If we lose Sunday we wound need to beat Dallas/Okc then need to beat pelicans on their home court. We need to win Friday as well as Saturday at all costs

Nope. Remember last year we played the Clippers? We won, we advanced but the Clippers played the Pelicans in LA and they lost that one too so the Pelicans advanced to face the Suns
Yeah I forgot they finished 8.

Thanks for clearing up!
BBG

Post by BBG »

The question then becomes, do the wolves have a better chance against the pelicans or Lakers?