Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

NICKEIL ALEXANDER-WALKER Thread

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
LwnmwrMan222

Re: NICKEIL ALEXANDER-WALKER Thread

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

Mplsfonz wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:04 am
somuchyummy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:21 am well, right now he's certainly looking more like a starting NBA SF than Jaden is. and maybe that's not the worst idea with KAT out. NAW has been the better scorer - and perhaps Jaden can get some confidence back on O working against our opponents' second stringers.
I think Jaden O is going the way of Rodman. It's in his head, because the D just lets him shoot. Even his drives he hesitates. I think he's caught between making the right play or doesn't want to screw up. He needs to just attack the rim without thinking.

But his D is what is needed from him, we have plenty of scorers.
Agreed, looks like a guy playing without confidence, although you couldn't tell from his facial expressions.
My body, my choice.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:40 am
somuchyummy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:21 am well, right now he's certainly looking more like a starting NBA SF than Jaden is. and maybe that's not the worst idea with KAT out. NAW has been the better scorer - and perhaps Jaden can get some confidence back on O working against our opponents' second stringers.
I think Jaden O is going the way of Rodman. It's in his head, because the D just lets him shoot. Even his drives he hesitates. I think he's caught between making the right play or doesn't want to screw up. He needs to just attack the rim without thinking.

Agreed, looks like a guy playing without confidence, although you couldn't tell from his facial expressions.
i don't think he has much confidence in his three ball right now. he needs to see a few of them go in. horton said on sunday night that he wasn't hitting them very well in the shootaround before the lakers game. he's 2 for his last 17 and it might be worse than that. he might have fired up one or two more of them after horton reeled off that stat.
Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

I stll can not believe he was a throw in with Mike. How badly were they using him? This just really proves sometimes it's the circumstance you find yourself in. This is his place. He knows what to do and when. He brings it every night. This is home.
My heart is family.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i think of the Thunder and so many of their castoffs who just, because of the crush of talent, couldn't see the court. Charlotte has two of their unused PGs now - guys who hardly played - and while they aren't burning up the league - between Mann and Micic, Charlotte is getting 22.0 ppg, 7.6 rpg and 10.6 apg.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

Catalyst wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:58 am I stll can not believe he was a throw in with Mike. How badly were they using him? This just really proves sometimes it's the circumstance you find yourself in. This is his place. He knows what to do and when. He brings it every night. This is home.
I fear the Wolves won't be able to resign NAW. Now that the Wolves have exposed his talent, there's gonna be some attractive offers sent his way when he hits free agency after next year.
Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:38 pm
Catalyst wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:58 am I stll can not believe he was a throw in with Mike. How badly were they using him? This just really proves sometimes it's the circumstance you find yourself in. This is his place. He knows what to do and when. He brings it every night. This is home.
I fear the Wolves won't be able to resign NAW. Now that the Wolves have exposed his talent, there's gonna be some attractive offers sent his way when he hits free agency after next year.
🤞😭
My heart is family.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

well.

we've had some success with culture here - and keeping guys for less because they see it as a place they want to be. And, honestly, his career was going nowhere till we picked him up and got him on the court in the right situation. He seems like a very smart and thoughtful young man. So either that means he'll stay here because he knows it's good for his basketball career - or he'll go elsewhere for a lot of money because he sees the NBA as a place to set up his family financially for the future. In either case, I expect him to act responsibly and not be a dink - because that's not his style.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:05 pm well.

we've had some success with culture here - and keeping guys for less because they see it as a place they want to be. And, honestly, his career was going nowhere till we picked him up and got him on the court in the right situation. He seems like a very smart and thoughtful young man. So either that means he'll stay here because he knows it's good for his basketball career - or he'll go elsewhere for a lot of money because he sees the NBA as a place to set up his family financially for the future. In either case, I expect him to act responsibly and not be a dink - because that's not his style.
If NAW keeps this up we might have to have a talk about getting rid of Jaden so we can resign him. I’d roll with NAW over Jaden right now.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Rusty Kuntz wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:25 pm

If NAW keeps this up we might have to have a talk about getting rid of Jaden so we can resign him. I’d roll with NAW over Jaden right now.
Yeah, it's not out of the realm of possibility. I feel even if this has been a down year for Jaden, I need to see multiple years of him struggling and multiple years of NAW keeping up or improving this level of play before you would make that switch. Get back to me next season if this is still the state of affairs.

Jaden has made massive improvements over his first 3 years. Absolutely tremendous jumps. He was borderline unplayable his first year. So even if year 4 has been down, there's still a lot of hope and potential to tap out of Jaden.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:43 am
Mplsfonz wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:04 am I think Jaden O is going the way of Rodman. It's in his head, because the D just lets him shoot. Even his drives he hesitates. I think he's caught between making the right play or doesn't want to screw up. He needs to just attack the rim without thinking.

i don't think he has much confidence in his three ball right now. he needs to see a few of them go in. horton said on sunday night that he wasn't hitting them very well in the shootaround before the lakers game. he's 2 for his last 17 and it might be worse than that. he might have fired up one or two more of them after horton reeled off that stat.
I think Finch needs to recognize that and stop trying to set plays where he has to take the open look. Run plays for him off the screen for a layup. No matter what the scheme is, some players aren't good deep ball shooters. Maybe a summer in the gym would help him for next season.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

I call him "Flat line" because he's never excited or depressed. Hard to tell if he's having fun or not. My wife has said she thinks the gap in his teeth keeps him from smiling. Maybe.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

I think so too. He put up decent numbers with NO, but Utah didn't give him the consistent minutes he needs. I think he needs more minutes here, but he's not asked to score here, just bE solid on D. He's doing what he's asked to, but now I think his role has changed a bit. Take a few more shot, and he's delivering. Small sample size, but I think he can grow in this role. He's only 25 and it takes some longer to get used to the NBA.
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

Mplsfonz wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:34 am
Mplsfonz wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:04 am I think Jaden O is going the way of Rodman. It's in his head, because the D just lets him shoot. Even his drives he hesitates. I think he's caught between making the right play or doesn't want to screw up. He needs to just attack the rim without thinking.

I call him "Flat line" because he's never excited or depressed. Hard to tell if he's having fun or not. My wife has said she thinks the gap in his teeth keeps him from smiling. Maybe.
Personally he's my favorite player because of his lack of expression. That's the same way I'm at work. My employees never know if I'm happy with the job that they're doing or pissed off.

That, and we both have chicken legs.
My body, my choice.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:38 pm
I thinks not. We said the same about Naz. Offers came, but I think guys want to stick around here because we are building something. Players want to win. The money is tempting, but if it's a choice between money and losing, I think most would rather win at a reduced rate than lose for just a few bucks more. Now if lets say if the Wizards offered him $20 million more than us the choice is easy. But if the numbers on the FA market is only 1-2 mill more, why not stay here and contribute? But weirder thing have happened. (See Shabazz Muhammad) Finally worked his way back up to the G. :lol: Guess 40 million couldn't feed his ego.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

YBBR wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:18 am
Rusty Kuntz wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:25 pm

Yeah, it's not out of the realm of possibility. I feel even if this has been a down year for Jaden, I need to see multiple years of him struggling and multiple years of NAW keeping up or improving this level of play before you would make that switch. Get back to me next season if this is still the state of affairs.

Jaden has made massive improvements over his first 3 years. Absolutely tremendous jumps. He was borderline unplayable his first year. So even if year 4 has been down, there's still a lot of hope and potential to tap out of Jaden.
Same. Jaden is still a great D player, and he's locked in for a few. Let's let this year play out before pulling the plug on Jaden.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

What I like about NAW is his mindset. He seems smart and calm about his NBA career. Like he is committed to doing his best, but he's also aware that it's just a game - and not something to break your mind over. Which I think aids him in big shot moments. He's had a good record nailing them, and I think it's because he knows the sun is coming up tomorrow whether he hits them or not. The moments don't overwhelm him.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

the wolves gaining almost a point a minute that he was on the floor. that works.

shoteh

Post by shoteh »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:42 am the wolves gaining almost a point a minute that he was on the floor. that works.

We've always wanted a 3nD and one that would rise to the occasion. Folks, we got em.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

shoteh wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:47 am
weimy froob wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:42 am the wolves gaining almost a point a minute that he was on the floor. that works.

We've always wanted a 3nD and one that would rise to the occasion. Folks, we got em.
Jaden is 3&D. NAW can be more than that.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

Ask Not wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:07 am
shoteh wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:47 am

Jaden is 3&D. NAW can be more than that.
One thing that’s in the Wolves favor is that NAW is in a perfect situation here that allows him to flourish. He already saw what happens to a player like him when he’s on a team that doesn’t allow that.

NAZ realized that and chose to stay in MN vs. going to the highest bidder. The possibility that he’s going to possibly be replacing KAT in the starting lineup may have played a factor though.

Hopefully NAW comes to the same realization and stays in MN but I could see damn near every playoff team making a play for him. If he doesn’t stay in MN, I hope he goes to an Easter Conference Team because whatever team lands him is going to be a tougher team to go up against.
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

He will stay at a team friendly rate. Big Mike showed them the way. Similar contract to Naz.
BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

I like Finch getting around 30 minutes, especially when he is hot. He really impacts both sides of the floor and has sticky hands. Humble guy as well.
PanicWolf

Post by PanicWolf »

Dlo for Mike Connelly and NAW lololol.

Dlo about to get played off the floor again in the playoffs thought that was a Rudy thing?
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

BuDG123 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:25 pm I like Finch getting around 30 minutes, especially when he is hot. He really impacts both sides of the floor and has sticky hands. Humble guy as well.
I don't want him to get any minutes, he's 54 and hasn't had any real playing minutes since the british basketball league in the 90s.
BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

boxter432 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:38 pm
BuDG123 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:25 pm I like Finch getting around 30 minutes, especially when he is hot. He really impacts both sides of the floor and has sticky hands. Humble guy as well.
I don't want him to get any minutes, he's 54 and hasn't had any real playing minutes since the british basketball league in the 90s.
They’d never see it coming. Would surprise the Suns and they’d have a matchup nightmare. He could hide his uni under his coach gear like Superman. Finchy shot something like 48% from 3.

LordNu

Post by LordNu »

BuDG123 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:59 pm
boxter432 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:38 pm
They’d never see it coming. Would surprise the Suns and they’d have a matchup nightmare. He could hide his uni under his coach gear like Superman. Finchy shot something like 48% from 3.

I didn’t realise he repped Great Britain.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

PanicWolf wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:38 pm Dlo for Mike Connelly and NAW lololol.

Dlo about to get played off the floor again in the playoffs thought that was a Rudy thing?
AND three second round picks!
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:36 pm
PanicWolf wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:38 pm Dlo for Mike Connelly and NAW lololol.

Getting rid of DLo and his contract for 3 second round picks is fair. Getting Conley and NAW on top of that is insane. Especially when you factor in Conley deciding to stay in MN on a team friendly contract.

I realize it’s a low bar but this has got to be the best trade in franchise history, no?
PurpleValhalla

Post by PurpleValhalla »

The Suns fans had no idea what they were running into before the series. Now they understand that NAW is another buzzsaw we have in our lineup. They're toast
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:14 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:36 pm

Getting rid of DLo and his contract for 3 second round picks is fair. Getting Conley and NAW on top of that is insane. Especially when you factor in Conley deciding to stay in MN on a team friendly contract.

I realize it’s a low bar but this has got to be the best trade in franchise history, no?
Probably. I thought the Kahn getting the #5 for Randy Foye and Mike Miller was a nice move. Rubio didn't turn out to be much, but those two depth pieces for a top-5 pick was a good move.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov