Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

NICKEIL ALEXANDER-WALKER Thread

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
jffl_commish

Re: NICKEIL ALEXANDER-WALKER Thread

Post by jffl_commish »

Let's get Tropical
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

happy to hear this - means he might be on the team next year.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Mnwild1128

Post by Mnwild1128 »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:42 pm happy to hear this - means he might be on the team next year.
Would like to try him out for more than just 24 games. So hopefully he comes back next season. Unless they do play him 30 a night and its absolute train wreck. Which i dont anticipate happening at all.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i think as long as Nowell is still on the team, he'll be getting plenty of minutes. NAW may have to wait till next year when Nowell has left - i'm just hoping Finch's wanting him here means a decision has already been made about the depth chart. i usually don't like that. but in this case i do. we will have most of our spots figured out for next year right now - and i think that continuity bodes well for next season. gotta stay healthy.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Mplsfonz wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:20 pm
witljon wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:56 pm Have we had a separate thread for every Wolves player?
Why not? That way those that are interested in that particular player can go str8 to the thread. Those who aren't, well, don't open.
I was thinking we’d sign Pat Bev and cut this guy loose.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

The Nickeil Alexander-Walker salary slot.
populousample

Post by populousample »

somuchyummy beef supreme chat
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

NAW is in the 4th year of his rookie contract. Next year if the Wolves offer him a Qualifying Offer of $7,073,602 he will be a restricted free agent. If they do not offer the QO then Alexander-Walker becomes an unrestricted free agent.

The Wolves and Alexander-Walker can decide on a long term contract that has salary less than the QO.

I don't think he played terribly in New Orleans, averaging 9.9 points/game in an average of 20.4 minutes per game. (17.5/36)

In a much reduced role in Utah he was more selective in his 3 point shooting (averaging more than 8 3 point attempts/36 vs. 5.9 this past season in Utah) and that seemed to really increase his shooting percentage as he was shooting 40.2% from 3 vs. 33% for his career.

I can see acquiring the guy to evaluate as a salary filler in the trade but I think it is a semi-long shot that he is with the team next season.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:00 pm NAW is in the 4th year of his rookie contract. Next year if the Wolves offer him a Qualifying Offer of $7,073,602 he will be a restricted free agent. If they do not offer the QO then Alexander-Walker becomes an unrestricted free agent.

The Wolves and Alexander-Walker can decide on a long term contract that has salary less than the QO.

I don't think he played terribly in New Orleans, averaging 9.9 points/game in an average of 20.4 minutes per game. (17.5/36)

In a much reduced role in Utah he was more selective in his 3 point shooting (averaging more than 8 3 point attempts/36 vs. 5.9 this past season in Utah) and that seemed to really increase his shooting percentage as he was shooting 40.2% from 3 vs. 33% for his career.

I can see acquiring the guy to evaluate as a salary filler in the trade but I think it is a semi-long shot that he is with the team next season.
Moore will still be here next year as a backup wing - and i hope he starts to get more run. he should. but the other backup to Ant IMO will come down to either Nowell or NAW.

I've been a big Nowell bobo - and he's looked really good in the last two games without Dlo on the court (30 and 21 points). but that obviously can't negate all the subpar play we've seen out of him this year - in a year we all expected him to step up and deliver with more regular PT. He's averaged 11.2/ 2.7/ 2.1 in a hair under 20 MPG this year. 45% from the field and 30% from deep. in the past 10 games (which includes his two recent really good games of high efficiency on a lot of shots), he's 12.2/ 3.0/ 2.1 on 49%/36% in just a shade under 20 MPG.

For the season, NAW has gone 6.3/ 1.6/ 2.1 in 14.7 MPG. shooting numbers of 49%/40%. His PT has been pretty paltry in his last ten games, but let's do a comp anyway. 4.6/ 2.8/ 1.6 in just 11 MPG. shooting numbers of 52%/36%.

we know that Nowell can erupt for points and put pressure on a defense. he also can be wildly up-and-down and prone to bonehead plays, along with being a consistently bad and non-committed defender. NAW is a much better defender - with better size to handle both wing spots - and despite not scoring as much, or looking to score as much, his efficiency is pretty much on par with what we're seeing out of Nowell - or better. this reluctance to score shouldn't be viewed entirely in the negative column. most of what we scream at about Jaylen is his frankly ball-hogging nature. we've wanted him to be more a facilitator - but have found him to be pretty me-centric on O. That's not NAW's game - so maybe we should welcome it. we also know that Finch specifically wanted to bring NAW here on this trade. I'll assume the rest of the year will be audition time between the two.

so... what do folks think Nowell will be looking for moneywise as an FA? NAW has a QO for around $7M, but as Mlhouse pointed out, that can (and probably will) be renegotiated to a lesser amount no matter who he plays ball for next year. it's hard to say who i prefer at this point because we've hardly gotten a peek at NAW, but my gut is leaning his way due to the defensive upgrade we'd get without sacrificing anything in terms of efficiency on O. i'm going to guess both players will make similar cash on their next contracts - so that'd be a wash.

fwiw, i think NAW can be convinced to stay here as Ant's backup (along with Moore) for $15M over 3 years. his value increases with the uncertainty of what becomes of Prince after next year - and with NAW's ability to play the 3. Nowell's not a 3 by any stretch.
witljon

Post by witljon »

witljon wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:45 pm
Mplsfonz wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:20 pm
witljon wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:56 pm Have we had a separate thread for every Wolves player?
Why not? That way those that are interested in that particular player can go str8 to the thread. Those who aren't, well, don't open.
Patrick Beverley has been waived by the Magic.
What are the chances we sign him?
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

witljon wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:36 pm
Mplsfonz wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:20 pm Why not? That way those that are interested in that particular player can go str8 to the thread. Those who aren't, well, don't open.
It sounds pretty low. Again, I think we've filled his role in playing time with multiple talented guards. Also his leadership role with guys such as Conley and Rivers.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

I haven't seen a ton of NAW in the last few, but I recall him distinctly cooking us in one game against the Pelicans. He was on a bit of a rise before being shipped to Utah. There's certainly an opportunity to get him back on track.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Mnwild1128

Post by Mnwild1128 »

witljon wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:36 pm
Mplsfonz wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:20 pm Why not? That way those that are interested in that particular player can go str8 to the thread. Those who aren't, well, don't open.
10%
Mnwild1128

Post by Mnwild1128 »

YBBR wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:57 pm I haven't seen a ton of NAW in the last few, but I recall him distinctly cooking us in one game against the Pelicans. He was on a bit of a rise before being shipped to Utah. There's certainly an opportunity to get him back on track.
But who doesn't cook us though 😉😆
Mnwild1128

Post by Mnwild1128 »

I think the combo of Rivers, Conley, Walker more than makes up for a Beverly move.
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

After watching this guy play a couple games, I'm warming up to him taking over Nowell and River's minutes.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

he'd be a really nice addition - young too, but pretty savvy. at any rate, with the dropoff in play by both Rivers and Nowell - this seems like a slam dunk signing we should go for in the offseason. i think i heard he's an RFA too, right? good enough player to add - but not so good that some other team is going to try to bid him up into stupidland.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Has a sort of a Taurean Prince 3 & D vibe. A bit different. He's better defensively on the ball, not quite as good as TP in team defense. He can drive a bit like Prince. Not sure he's as quick with the ball or can get to the rim as easily as Prince can. He shown he can hit the open shots from 3. Much like Taurean.

Yeah. He seems pretty good so far.
BBG

Post by BBG »

He might make this trade a huge win for the wolves in a couple of years. I had no idea he was so young and drafted so high. He is raw, but he can ball for sure
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i love how he gives us a built in exit strategy for both Rivers and Nowell. That should free up some cash for us - not much, but some. it also condenses the rotation.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

BBG wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:45 am He might make this trade a huge win for the wolves in a couple of years. I had no idea he was so young and drafted so high. He is raw, but he can ball for sure
Agreed. If it was simply a Dlo for Conley trade, I would be happy with it. I've really enjoyed watching NAW play. Brings back some of that hustle, energy, & grit that we never really recovered since trading away Vanderbilt. He's young, has very good size for his position, strong D, and has room to continue to improve. Very happy with his arrival. Really hope the Wolves are able to keep him.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

another solid game for NAW last night. just shy of 20 minutes and scored eight points. jaden had nine in 32 plus minutes. an integral part of that second unit that got things turned around and who finch said in many ways won the game for them.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

weimy froob wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:03 am another solid game for NAW last night. just shy of 20 minutes and scored eight points. jaden had nine in 32 plus minutes. an integral part of that second unit that got things turned around and who finch said in many ways won the game for them.
He’s so good on D. Between him and Connelly (and Rivers), we finally have someone who can guard PGs and SGs besides Officer McD.
Last edited by thinktank on Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bullazin

Post by Bullazin »

Jmac huge again also with his heady play. 2 games in a row he has looked his old self.

NAW looks like he deserves what would have been Nowells money and he doesn’t even have his man muscles yet.

I’ve been down on Naz, but he has improved a little recently
“You realize he reports you just as much as you report him, right? He has some valid complaints as well. I don't like or dislike either of you. I just want you two to shut the fuck up.”
——OG Froob.
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

NAW does it again with playing smart and draining those 3s. Best thing about him is that he's not looking to shoot every time like Dlo/Nowell.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Didn’t take long for him to catch on.

Seems like he can play smart with other smart players around him.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

thinktank wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:01 am Didn’t take long for him to catch on.

Seems like he can play smart with other smart players around him.
good head on his shoulders too. happy to be here, happy to be given a chance. he reminds me a little of Malik Sealy.
BBG

Post by BBG »

We don't beat SAC without him. His defense is way better than advertised. He kid of reminds me of Corey Brewer.
mr mort

Post by mr mort »

So what’re we thinking, froobs? Is this guy a piece we try to keep
Moving forward?
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

mr mort wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:06 am So what’re we thinking, froobs? Is this guy a piece we try to keep
Moving forward?
Of course. Wave bye-bye to Nowell.