Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Are you personally boycotting Harry Potter videogame?

Video game themed message board
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Re: Are you personally boycotting Harry Potter videogame?

Post by Mandatory »

I played about an hour and a half.. or what I felt like was through to the end of the tutorial.

Minor plot spoilers (not really)... you're a new 5th year student at Hogwarts. Apparently it's the first time someone has ever been allowed to start school in the middle of the 5th year. There's also a Goblin Rebellion going on. Other than that I really have no idea my characters background, but it's clear you have some mysterious magical powers. I'm seeing a lot of parallels to the original books even though this takes place in the 1800s. A ton of characters who are clear copies of professors and Harry Potter's friends. It's all good because the nostalgia is there and I'm loving it.

Gameplay.. it's sort of like a Dark Souls light taking place in HP universe. The wand combat is fun as well, even though I'm very early yet. I'm at Hogwarts now, have been sorted, but haven't got my wand yet. I'm absolutely loving it, but I think you have to sorta like the source material to really be into it.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

Mandatory wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:09 am I played about an hour and a half.. or what I felt like was through to the end of the tutorial.

Minor plot spoilers (not really)... you're a new 5th year student at Hogwarts. Apparently it's the first time someone has ever been allowed to start school in the middle of the 5th year. There's also a Goblin Rebellion going on. Other than that I really have no idea my characters background, but it's clear you have some mysterious magical powers. I'm seeing a lot of parallels to the original books even though this takes place in the 1800s. A ton of characters who are clear copies of professors and Harry Potter's friends. It's all good because the nostalgia is there and I'm loving it.

Gameplay.. it's sort of like a Dark Souls light taking place in HP universe. The wand combat is fun as well, even though I'm very early yet. I'm at Hogwarts now, have been sorted, but haven't got my wand yet. I'm absolutely loving it, but I think you have to sorta like the source material to really be into it.
I watched enough reviews over the past two days to just buy the deluxe edition. I picked it up on steam so I could play it on my Steamdeck as well as on the PC if I feel like it. Just waiting for it to download right now. What system are you playing on?
I made this!
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Abe Froman wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:15 pm
Mandatory wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:09 am I played about an hour and a half.. or what I felt like was through to the end of the tutorial.

I watched enough reviews over the past two days to just buy the deluxe edition. I picked it up on steam so I could play it on my Steamdeck as well as on the PC if I feel like it. Just waiting for it to download right now. What system are you playing on?
XBOX... I love the thing so much.

The game looks really good, although I feel like it needs a tiny bit of polish. Not really bugs; just odd cuts out of cutscenes, dorms being empty at night... stuff like that.

#BaltimoreStrong
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

Mandatory wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:58 pm

The game looks really good, although I feel like it needs a tiny bit of polish. Not really bugs; just odd cuts out of cutscenes, dorms being empty at night... stuff like that.
I'm excited to give it a try! Sounds like it works good on the Steamdeck at 30 fps on low settings, so at least it's stable to play on the go.
I made this!
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Abe Froman wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:24 pm

I'm excited to give it a try! Sounds like it works good on the Steamdeck at 30 fps on low settings, so at least it's stable to play on the go.
:thumbsup: :beer: :thumbsup:

#BaltimoreStrong
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

Mandatory wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:27 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:24 pm

:thumbsup: :beer: :thumbsup:
Only got to try it briefly by the time it finally downloaded, but it looks and controls surprisingly well considering it's in a handheld. I'm a little envious of those playing a series x or PS5, but maybe this will give me an excuse to upgrade my GPU on my gaming PC a little sooner. At least I should find some time to play this on the Steamdeck. Seems like I get more "free time" at work than I do at home these days. Might as well take advantage of it.
I made this!
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

It looked really cheap from the ads I saw, like a 1990's Lucas arts game. Could be fun I suppose.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

It got good scores in reviews. Pretty much like 9's across the board. I'm personally just not interested in the IP or the setting. Seems like a good game for those that are.

There's a good chance this is the highest selling game all-year. It smashed pre-order records on Steam.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

YBBR wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:23 pm It got good scores in reviews. Pretty much like 9's across the board. I'm personally just not interested in the IP or the setting. Seems like a good game for those that are.

There's a good chance this is the highest selling game all-year. It smashed pre-order records on Steam.
I've heard it described as "Fable" but in the Harry Potter universe. I think i may get it.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

YBBR wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:23 pm It got good scores in reviews. Pretty much like 9's across the board. I'm personally just not interested in the IP or the setting. Seems like a good game for those that are.

I've never been very much into the whole Harry Potter universe but this game has been pretty good so far. A lot of the time as I've been playing I kind of forget that it's actually part of all of that. I mean, there are plenty of reminders, it just doesn't seem like it's gotta throw it in my face every chance it gets. I imagine if I had grown up with the series, I would feel much more like this game is in that world. Since I didn't, it really feels like it could have stood on its own just fine without being involved with this franchise.
I made this!
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

As someone who has never watched Harry Potter, this is a top 5 game of all time! I’m about 10 hours in and it’s fantastic. Wait until you get your broom!!
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Rusty Kuntz wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:45 am As someone who has never watched Harry Potter, this is a top 5 game of all time! I’m about 10 hours in and it’s fantastic. Wait until you get your broom!!
The broom is pretty clutch.

#BaltimoreStrong
salamander

Post by salamander »

So it's actually good? Maybe I will get it then. Never been a huge Harry Potter guy.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

What level are you guys? I just got to 19 after spending an hour trying to tame a couple thestrals for Deek. Finally get to start the real mission that requires level 19. I’ve logged about 21 hours. My coworker is at level 38 with 48 hours played!
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Just finished the main story quests. 32 hours in, level 27. Still only 33% complete and a lot of challenges left. Top 3 game for me and I didn’t know anything about Harry Potter before playing this game. :beer:
salamander

Post by salamander »

Rusty Kuntz wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:03 pm Just finished the main story quests. 32 hours in, level 27. Still only 33% complete and a lot of challenges left. Top 3 game for me and I didn’t know anything about Harry Potter before playing this game. :beer:
Damn. Is it that big of a game?
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

salamander wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:58 am
Rusty Kuntz wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:03 pm Just finished the main story quests. 32 hours in, level 27. Still only 33% complete and a lot of challenges left. Top 3 game for me and I didn’t know anything about Harry Potter before playing this game. :beer:
There's quite a bit to do.
I made this!
salamander

Post by salamander »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:12 pm
salamander wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:58 am
There's quite a bit to do.
Interesting.