Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

coaching exodus

Home for Gopher football topics
jffl_commish

coaching exodus

Post by jffl_commish »

A few guys leaving to other divisional schools (don't recall the names), but just reported that Ciarocca is leaving, again, for another lateral move, again. This time to be the OC at Rutgers. WTF?
Let's get Tropical
feekdogg

Re: coaching exodus

Post by feekdogg »

Paul Haynes DB coach to Wiscy.
Brick Haley, DL coach to Purdue.
Kirk C. to Buttgers.

Kenni Burns, RB coach to Kent State (Head Coach)

The Burns one makes tons of sense. The others are all making lateral moves.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Don't look too much into this Rodent fans....business as usual in college football.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Ciarocca move is weird. Why did he even come back in the first place?
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:13 pm Ciarocca move is weird. Why did he even come back in the first place?
He came back for money, and frankly for limited expectations. The OC here doesn't have to be innovative, creative or a risk taker. Fleck relies on figuring out what you do best and playing to his team's strengths. He knew Kirk could get that done. I think Kirk felt like he'd be on a path to be a head coach by now, but he failed at PSU and missed his shot. Now he's just chasing money.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Ciarocca has a daughter at Rutgers (I think plays soccer) and a son in school nearby, plus he's coached with the HC previously.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

feekdogg wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:15 pm Paul Haynes DB coach to Wiscy.
Kirk C. to Buttgers.

Is there behind the scenes explanation as to what's going on here? Why are guys leaving for a lateral moves? Anything we need to read into?
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:29 am
Kirk C. to Buttgers.

Is there behind the scenes explanation as to what's going on here? Why are guys leaving for a lateral moves? Anything we need to read into?
It's just the old boys' coaching network. Haynes previously worked with Fickell. Haley worked with the new Purdue coach at other stops. And Kirk is just chasing a paycheck. $600,000 a year makes a hell of a difference (yeah, he used to work with Schiano too, but he also fired Kirk, so I'm guessing there's no loyalty angle there).
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

feekdogg wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:09 am
Kirk C. to Buttgers.

It's just the old boys' coaching network. Haynes previously worked with Fickell. Haley worked with the new Purdue coach at other stops. And Kirk is just chasing a paycheck. $600,000 a year makes a hell of a difference (yeah, he used to work with Schiano too, but he also fired Kirk, so I'm guessing there's no loyalty angle there).
:thumbsup:

Any thoughts on new OC candidates?
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:11 am
feekdogg wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:09 am

:thumbsup:

Any thoughts on new OC candidates?
Seems to be a pretty sharp divide in the fanbase between promoting Matt Simon or going outside for someone with an established OC track record. I see both sides, but feel like if Simon gets the job and does well, you're not going to have to worry about finding a new OC every 3 or 4 years. And the last two times Fleck went out and hired one of his buddies, it was a total disaster.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

I'm not 100% sure what's going on. Simon was already a Co-OC, now he's still Co-OC, but Greg Harbaugh, who used to be TE coach has now been elevated to Co-OC as well. I assume Simon calls plays, but who knows?