Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Naz Reid

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: Naz Reid

Post by minnemike »

Naz is like having Harden when you have peak Durant and Westbrook. What a luxury.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

Does Naz Reid get serious consideration for 6th man of the year? Or do you guys think it's already decided that Austin Reaves will get the award?
witljon

Post by witljon »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:09 pm Does Naz Reid get serious consideration for 6th man of the year? Or do you guys think it's already decided that Austin Reaves will get the award?
Reaves will get it. If Naz was a Laker he’d get it.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

witljon wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:20 pm
Jimi_Thing wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:09 pm Does Naz Reid get serious consideration for 6th man of the year? Or do you guys think it's already decided that Austin Reaves will get the award?
is there a limit though of how many games you can start before you can't be considered for the award? Naz has zero starts this year. Reaves, 9 out of 27 - a full third of their games.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
twolves31

Post by twolves31 »

If we are a top 3 seed, and he is shooting 50-40-90 I would think there is no way they can't give it to him. His current betting odds places him 9th behind Reaves, Hardaway, Quickly, Anthony, Monk, Bogdanovic, LeVert, and Westbrook
witljon

Post by witljon »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:28 pm
is there a limit though of how many games you can start before you can't be considered for the award? Naz has zero starts this year. Reaves, 9 out of 27 - a full third of their games.
I don’t know the answer to that. I just think players on the big market teams get more consideration(votes) and that goes for all awards.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

Not sure if there is a limit, but Lamar Odom had 35 starts when he won 6th Man

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/most-g ... -sixth-man
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Dan33185 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:15 pm

Not sure if there is a limit, but Lamar Odom had 35 starts when he won 6th Man

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/most-g ... -sixth-man
i'm sure there are no restrictions on this - but it does seem kind of bogus that a guy who was a number 4 overall pick and who had already started 675 games in his lengthy career, could be the "sixth man'. feels like it should go to a guy who's a bit of an underdog, a bench guy, hell even an undrafted guy like both Naz and Reaves are. Alert the press, an overall number 4 pick played well.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Eh, there are a number of guys that just kinda transition into that role later in their careers - Odom, Eric Gordon, Jason Terry, Crawford.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

6th man's main deciding factor is always PPG. That's the barometer.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Was looking at NBA 2k ratings to see if we are getting any love. We are a tier 2 side, lakers tier 1, reaves is like an 83 rating, NAW 73…. We will never get respect, even if we win the league.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

SHAFA wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:39 pm Eh, there are a number of guys that just kinda transition into that role later in their careers - Odom, Eric Gordon, Jason Terry, Crawford.
yeah, you are absolutely right. i just have my preferences - and i would like it to be more of an "overachiever" award, rather than an older guy who's been moved to the bench.
witljon

Post by witljon »

YBBR wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:21 pm 6th man's main deciding factor is always PPG. That's the barometer.
Unwritten rule?
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Reid wont score enough points. 6MOY is almost always very heavily weighted towards just PPG and then other box score stats like rebounds, assists, etc. Reid has no shot against Reaves even though his impact is greater.

IF the Wolves win the most games in the league I could see that being factored in a little bit, but I doubt it. Unfortunately, I would not bet any money on Reid winning the award.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Naz is only 24...what is his ceiling?
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

witljon wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:56 pm
YBBR wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:21 pm 6th man's main deciding factor is always PPG. That's the barometer.
Unwritten rule?
Yeah. Voters think that's the main thing a 6th man does. Score the ball. I feel like W/L record plays into it very little as opposed to something like MVP. I think the 6th man has also gone to a guard 9 out of the last 10 years. The Jamal Crawford/Lou Williams type is the prototype.

We'd be a good deal worse without Naz Reid bolstering the ranks.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Top 5 favorites for 6th man. Reaves, Hardaway, Quickley, Anthony, Monk.

All guards.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

Hornets wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:05 pm Naz is only 24...what is his ceiling?
President of the United States and/or Taylor Swift's future husband.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

So something like plus/minus would never factor? I mean isn't that a better measuring stick for a 6th man?
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

YBBR wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:34 pm Top 5 favorites for 6th man. Reaves, Hardaway, Quickley, Anthony, Monk.

All guards.
and mostly the guards are more along the lines of the Harden/Ginobli line where they are clearly a top 3-4/5 player on their team but are used off the bench in high minutes to either takeover when the star guard sits, or complement the starters. Like clearly Reaves is better than Reddish and Monk better than Huerter and each plays more minutes than the starter, whereas Naz wouldnt start with Gobert and KAT here.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

boxter432 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:18 am
YBBR wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:34 pm Top 5 favorites for 6th man. Reaves, Hardaway, Quickley, Anthony, Monk.

All guards.
and mostly the guards are more along the lines of the Harden/Ginobli line where they are clearly a top 3-4/5 player on their team but are used off the bench in high minutes to either takeover when the star guard sits, or complement the starters. Like clearly Reaves is better than Reddish and Monk better than Huerter and each plays more minutes than the starter, whereas Naz wouldnt start with Gobert and KAT here.
That's a good point.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

Came back to this today and found the answer on Wikipedia:

"To be eligible for the award, a player must come off the bench in more games than he starts".
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Dan33185 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:23 pm

Came back to this today and found the answer on Wikipedia:

"To be eligible for the award, a player must come off the bench in more games than he starts".
that likely eliminates Quickley. he didn't start once for New York in 30 games - but since the move to Toronto, he's 32 of 32.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Dane Moore
@DaneMooreNBA
Chris Finch on Naz Reid: “Yeah, listen, he’s been an incredible story here. The way he’s, from Day 1, changed his body, kept growing his game, plays with so much confidence and energy, whether he starts or comes off the bench, teammates love him. He’s got so much skill. His defense has gone from strength to strength. His rebounding. It’s just fun to watch him get better all the time. It really is.”
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

lulz.

Spoiler:
Dane Moore
@DaneMooreNBA
Asked Naz Reid about the way the Wolves fanbase has embraced him isn't really a new thing -- how this was a thing before he got to being anywhere near this level. "I think for me, it's like, how long it's been going on. People notice it now. But like, like you said, since my rookie year it's really been a thing. So for me, it's like how long it's been going on. That stuff is love. Like I said, it's something you dream about at the NBA level."
j-one

Post by j-one »

Two words: beach towel
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Naz Reid is a gentleman and a scholar.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Naz Reid is erupting as the season goes on. He's starting for a hurt Towns, but because that will bolster his numbers, I think his odds for being 6th man of the year are going from a bit of a longshot to maybe smart darkhorse pick. He's got a real shot at it.
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

Monks going to get it, but he’s also Sacs 3rd best player easily and should be their starting SG. He has zero starts. They start randoms like duerte and Ellis instead of Monk when huerter or fox are out. Aka huerter is now out for the season and monk still hasn’t started. Very ginobli-like start on the bench but play 25 min.