Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Naz Reid

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Rusty Kuntz

Naz Reid

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

What do we do with Naz? 1.9 mil expiring and he’s a UFA. As much as I love Naz Reid I don’t know that we will be able to afford him. Might as well try and recoup a draft pick and get another young guy back on a cheap contract. Paying a lot of money to 3 centers would be a bad idea.
UnFadeable21

Re: Naz Reid

Post by UnFadeable21 »

He’s gonna get 10+ million and a starting job somewhere and deserves it. Let him get his opportunity
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

Probably in the minority here, but I'd rather trade KAT and get a haul for him, start Gobert and have Naz coming off the bench. Sent D-Lo out as well, between KAT and D-Lo you could get a decent haul.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Dan33185 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:29 pm Probably in the minority here, but I'd rather trade KAT and get a haul for him, start Gobert and have Naz coming off the bench. Sent D-Lo out as well, between KAT and D-Lo you could get a decent haul.
i'm with you.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

I like Naz Reid a lot. They just don't have the room for him with these massive contracts.

Ironically he's easily the best fit for Finch in defending within the high wall concept because of how mobile and athletic he is.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Abe Froman
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Abe Froman »

YBBR wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:28 pm I like Naz Reid a lot. They just don't have the room for him with these massive contracts.

Ironically he's easily the best fit for Finch in defending within the high wall concept because of how mobile and athletic he is.
Trade Karl. I'm fine with it at this point.
I made this!
Mnwild1128

Post by Mnwild1128 »

I heard he is 100% gone this offseason.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

well, if he's gone, i hope it's duly noted that within their system - a quicker, more athletic big like Naz is desirable and makes things happen. KAT, Rudy and Garza all don't fit that criteria.

what's it looked like this season running Rudy and Naz together?
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

No chance he will resign simply because we don't have the money and lesser due to the fact he has kind of gotten screwed with minutes here.

It will suck to see him go but maybe it would be better to explore the trade market and get something rather then nothing.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Silversword

Post by Silversword »

The Naz situation is totally f'd up. He's my favorite big on the team, but with Kat and Rudy both on BIG long-term contracts, it's gonna be very very hard... almost impossible... to keep him this offseason. If I were running our front office, I would trade Rudy, Kat and DLo and hope to get cap space and a single all-star caliber guard, wing or 4 in return, then use the cap space to re-sign Naz and either re-sign Nowell or sign a solid FA.

I'll bet my life savings that the current Wolves braintrust isn't thinking along those lines, which means Naz is as good as gone this offseason. His play so far this season has to be turning heads across the league, so my back-up plan would be trade Naz - either by himself or as part of a package - to get something solid in return that will help us next year and beyond.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

Mnwild1128 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:53 am I heard he is 100% gone this offseason.
From who?
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Bob Wiley wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:37 am
Mnwild1128 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:53 am I heard he is 100% gone this offseason.
From who?
The voices in his head.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

he made a couple threes last night--which is more than you can say for DLo, ANT and jaylen. there was a patch in the second half where the wolves defense was bad and he was on he floor though. not a very good game for him imo.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Naz always works hard and usually plays well.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
DMB

Post by DMB »

He looks much older than his age.
Semper Fi
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Naz is good as hell at driving to the rim and making lay ups.

He’s really good but KAT and Rudy is better than him.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
Bullazin

Post by Bullazin »

Other than a few blocks, Naz is not at all a good defender. Trading KAT is the only way NAZ could fit. defensive big picks and salary filler would get it done for me.

Da fuq I must be losing it considering trading KAT.
“You realize he reports you just as much as you report him, right? He has some valid complaints as well. I don't like or dislike either of you. I just want you two to shut the fuck up.”
——OG Froob.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Bullazin wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:23 pm Other than a few blocks, Naz is not at all a good defender. Trading KAT is the only way NAZ could fit. defensive big picks and salary filler would get it done for me.

i love Naz, but he's not perfect. if i'm not mistaken, it was him in the game last night when Powell entered and scored on three consecutive layups or dunks. that said, i do think his value has (sort of) sky rocketed this year. interesting to hear that report austin gave his dad early in the year - mainly that he was surprised at how good Naz was and that he's a starting quality C in the league. at any rate, IF the brain trust knows they aren't moving KAT in the offseason - and that Naz is as good as gone - then it makes sense to move him before we lose contractual control over him. and honestly, a pairing of Dlo/Naz in a trade seems like it could bring back some very good talent. a team that could use a center upgrade and would like Dlo's expiring is a good place to start. Charlotte? Toronto? OKC? LAL? NYK? Houston?

initial check at Charlotte - a Dlo/Naz for Hayward/PJ Washington works. Hayward has one more year after this - really nice player and good shooter, but of course always injured. and Washington "might' be available - some of the shine has worn off his apple as a longterm starter at the 4 for Charlotte. when he first came into the league, it looked like a major find for them - this year, he's shooting horribly (40%/32%) for a PF, and a weak rebounder - just 4.8 per game in 32 mpg. but he's shot well in the past, and is a flexible GOOD defender who could spend time at either the 4 or 5. i'm not sure if the Hornets would want to part with him, but Naz has been looking really good - and the opportunity to lose one year off Hayward's massive deal could prove enticing.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

What teams are going to be willing to gamble an asset away on Reid knowing they may only have him for 2-3 months? A team on the periphery of contention that wants to bolster their depth, maybe. I don't think there's much out there though. Maybe Cleveland could use another body next to Love off the bench.
twolves31

Post by twolves31 »

SHAFA wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:24 pm What teams are going to be willing to gamble an asset away on Reid knowing they may only have him for 2-3 months? A team on the periphery of contention that wants to bolster their depth, maybe. I don't think there's much out there though. Maybe Cleveland could use another body next to Love off the bench.
Naz can sign a contract today if he wanted to. A team trading for him is more than likely going to want Naz to agree to a contract extension as part of the stipulations of the trade to give up an asset and avoid having to bid with other teams for his services this summer.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

twolves31 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:32 pm
SHAFA wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:24 pm What teams are going to be willing to gamble an asset away on Reid knowing they may only have him for 2-3 months? A team on the periphery of contention that wants to bolster their depth, maybe. I don't think there's much out there though. Maybe Cleveland could use another body next to Love off the bench.
Naz can sign a contract today if he wanted to. A team trading for him is more than likely going to want Naz to agree to a contract extension as part of the stipulations of the trade to give up an asset and avoid having to bid with other teams for his services this summer.
the wolves would have to make him an offer he couldn't refuse. he's got the leverage though.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

twolves31 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:32 pm
Sure, but what are the odds of something like that happening? I can't think of any mid-year extension and trade deals happening off the top of my head before.
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

It's a shame that this team will have to lose quality players like Nat because it shackled itself to horrible contracts.
Last edited by DonaldDouchebag on Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i think there's a way to find a team interested - especially if it's part of a Dlo deal and they're loving that expiring 32 mil. they might take a deal like that expecting Dlo to go elsewhere - but rosterwise and moneywise, they'd be able to show Naz that he has a definite role in their future and will be rightly compensated for it.

and i think Charlotte is a good place to start. the starter is Mason Plumlee - often rated as the 30th best starting center in the league. he can't last there forever - and you know they are looking for an upgrade. they drafted one at 15 in Mark Williams - but mark, despite logging a bunch of time in the G league - where he's doing well, still has played in only 3 regular season games for the Hornets. you know, the team with the 30th best starting C. both Walker Kessler and Christian Koloko, centers drafted quite a bit later than Williams, have each played in 31 games this season. So, anyway, with the soon-to-be-anticipated departure of Plumlee - and the slow development of Williams, this entirely feels like a team that would love to have Naz Reid start for them.
Bullazin

Post by Bullazin »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:49 pm
Bullazin wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:23 pm Other than a few blocks, Naz is not at all a good defender. Trading KAT is the only way NAZ could fit. defensive big picks and salary filler would get it done for me.

i love Naz, but he's not perfect. if i'm not mistaken, it was him in the game last night when Powell entered and scored on three consecutive layups or dunks. that said, i do think his value has (sort of) sky rocketed this year. interesting to hear that report austin gave his dad early in the year - mainly that he was surprised at how good Naz was and that he's a starting quality C in the league. at any rate, IF the brain trust knows they aren't moving KAT in the offseason - and that Naz is as good as gone - then it makes sense to move him before we lose contractual control over him. and honestly, a pairing of Dlo/Naz in a trade seems like it could bring back some very good talent. a team that could use a center upgrade and would like Dlo's expiring is a good place to start. Charlotte? Toronto? OKC? LAL? NYK? Houston?

initial check at Charlotte - a Dlo/Naz for Hayward/PJ Washington works. Hayward has one more year after this - really nice player and good shooter, but of course always injured. and Washington "might' be available - some of the shine has worn off his apple as a longterm starter at the 4 for Charlotte. when he first came into the league, it looked like a major find for them - this year, he's shooting horribly (40%/32%) for a PF, and a weak rebounder - just 4.8 per game in 32 mpg. but he's shot well in the past, and is a flexible GOOD defender who could spend time at either the 4 or 5. i'm not sure if the Hornets would want to part with him, but Naz has been looking really good - and the opportunity to lose one year off Hayward's massive deal could prove enticing.
Good stuff. Naz is great around the basket as has been said and good for a big shooting the 3. He just gets caught flat footed on d soooo much.

I looked it up and he is -15 plus minus for the year. On 17 minutes per game. And you can’t pin it all on his supporting cast as he has played a decent amount of starter minutes. I wish Finchy had a way to pair him with someone to get him in the positive but I can’t think of how you could possibly do it. He is just not good on D
“You realize he reports you just as much as you report him, right? He has some valid complaints as well. I don't like or dislike either of you. I just want you two to shut the fuck up.”
——OG Froob.
Bullazin

Post by Bullazin »

I really think the big downfall this year is Nowells play, he flashes but just can’t seem to shoot well with any consistency
——OG Froob.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i've been a huge nowell fan in the last year. really glad we held onto him - but yeah, sometimes you just wonder why the good play can't stick and he reverts to a worse norm. however, we aren't liking nowell now - it's because his deep ball has been off. just 30% for the year - and in the last ten games, just 27%. but if you look at his scoring and overall shooting percentage - it's trending up. 11.4 ppg on 43% for the year - in the past ten games, he's upped it to 12.4 ppg and 44%. if he could find his three, no one would be talking - it's all tied to that. and i will say, of any player on the roster - he is the guy who regularly shifts into hyperspace gear and puts massive pressure on the D in transition. when he gets a rebound and starts up court, watch out. it's a flash. for a team that has so little of that, it's a refreshing change of pace.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

nowell is a scorer--not a shooter. until last night he's had a big difference in hitting his three ball at home vs. the road. he was in the 40 percent range on that and in the 20s on the road. last night was bad. it looked like it felt good to him on that first three that didn't go from his reaction--but it never got better. check his plus/minus numbers. for some reason i think even when he's not scoring his numbers have been good.

bottom line: he's got to figure it out and become more consistent.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Is there another center in the league right now that can put it on the deck and use his handle to get to the rim as well as Naz Reid can? Legitimately a fantastic ball handler. Having him rebound a miss and push tempo as a 5 is an incredibly rare skill set to have.

Reid is also great at stopping dribble penetration on defense because of his lateral speed. In and out of defending the pick and roll. He's not a tremendous rim protector in terms of stopping players already in the restricted area, but he's great at stopping them from getting there in the first place. He takes good angles and walls up a lot in effective defense. Its not flashy, but it's really solid in effecting shots.

I think he gets a bum rap defensively because he used to be a lot worse on that end.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Looking at Defensive Box plus minus Naz Reid's is 0.6. Which means when he's on the floor, he's a positive on defense. 0.8 OBPM so same with offense.

Last year Reid was 0.5 on defense and -0.5 on offense. His BPM went from 0.0 last year to 1.4 so far this year.

He's shooting 38% from 3 and also grabbing a higher percentage of defensive rebounds when he’s on the court. From 18% last year which isn't very good. To 22.5% this year which is good.

So even the nerd numbers point to when Reid's on the floor, generally positive things are happening for the team.