Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Naz Reid

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
YBBR

Re: Naz Reid

Post by YBBR »

I would like for Naz Reid to average 25 min a game. I'm ready for weird Slomo antics at weird positions to open up room for Naz da God.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

PanicWolf wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:26 pm I would not trade Naz right now.

I think he was signed because we forget unless this year the wolves go to the finals/really out perform, either Rudy or KAT have to go with the new cap rules. Naz is either a trade piece to keep them both, or a replacement for who is traded. Ants guys are Naz and Jaden so if keeping them keeps Ant happy, pay them more.

And who doesn’t love Naz.
Grate post. I'd rather have Naz, especially on his deal, than any other big on this team right now.

Naz, Ant, & Jaden as a core are all under 24. Add in Miller who is 19 and NAW who is 25? Whoooo!
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

YBBR wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:23 pm I would like for Naz Reid to average 25 min a game. I'm ready for weird Slomo antics at weird positions to open up room for Naz da God.
Yessssss.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
Mnwild1128

Post by Mnwild1128 »

YBBR wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:04 am
Mnwild1128 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:37 pm Would anyone trade Naz for a top 15 protected pick? Also under this scenario, we keep both Kat and Gobert into 2024/2025 season.
No, I wouldn't. What are the odds a late lotto pick actually replicates the talent level and production of Naz Reid? It's not very high. It's a pretty low chance actually. And even if they do, how many years is that going to take 3, 4 years?

Teams miss on prospects all the time in the NBA. One of the reasons it works better with star level players is you usually get multiple high picks and maybe a promising young player. Taking multiple bites at the apple can drive down the volatility of projecting very young players.

A 1 for 1 mid round pick doesn't do much in terms of value or replacing Naz Reid.
Keep Naz

Or

Gain a 1st round pick plua cap flexibility. Can't pay 3 centers 100 million and expect to make any sort of noise in this league. If we had Duncan and Robinson with a third big however, i would be ok.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Mnwild1128 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:16 pm
Mnwild1128 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:37 pm Would anyone trade Naz for a top 15 protected pick? Also under this scenario, we keep both Kat and Gobert into 2024/2025 season.
No, I wouldn't. What are the odds a late lotto pick actually replicates the talent level and production of Naz Reid? It's not very high. It's a pretty low chance actually. And even if they do, how many years is that going to take 3, 4 years?

Teams miss on prospects all the time in the NBA. One of the reasons it works better with star level players is you usually get multiple high picks and maybe a promising young player. Taking multiple bites at the apple can drive down the volatility of projecting very young players.

A 1 for 1 mid round pick doesn't do much in terms of value or replacing Naz Reid.
Keep Naz

Or

Gain a 1st round pick plua cap flexibility. Can't pay 3 centers 100 million and expect to make any sort of noise in this league. If we had Duncan and Robinson with a third big however, i would be ok.
Trade KAT then ;)
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

flexbuffchest wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:22 pm
Mnwild1128 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:16 pm

Keep Naz

Or

Trade KAT then ;)
Or package Naz with one of the expirings and get a $20M+ front of the line player.
So much more things we could do vs just open cap space and a pick.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Trading Gobert or Towns saves more of that $100 million dollars. Plus very likely bringing in more picks and value along with them.

I don't remember what Towns' supermax contract starts at in 2024-25. It's like $45 or $48 million. Something in or around there. Gobert is making like high $30's or something for the next 2 years til he expires, I think. Naz is only making like $12 starting this year. So even if you got rid of him, it's not actually saving you very much. You're still paying way too much for 2 centers that don't mesh very well in Towns and Gobert.

Also I think there's a reasonable possibility that Naz could fit pretty well long term as a PF. He's very mobile and athletic. Towns is basically a center we're playing out of position.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

If they could get 2 first rounders and a salary match for Gobert, I'd bite the bullet and get rid of him. Just chalk it up as a bum ass trade that the FO gave up way too much. Recoup what you can.

Towns we probably need a bit more than that.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

YBBR wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:28 pm Trading Gobert or Towns saves more of that $100 million dollars. Plus very likely bringing in more picks and value along with them.
That, plus we don’t exactly have much for expiring deals. Maybe they deal Conley if they can get something worthwhile, but I doubt it. Don’t see them dealing Anderson because of how important he was last season, and there’s no evidence that either Minott or Miller are ready for an increase in minutes yet. That leaves the two new signees - Milton and Brown.
T_J

Post by T_J »

YBBR wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:42 pm If they could get 2 first rounders and a salary match for Gobert, I'd bite the bullet and get rid of him. Just chalk it up as a bum ass trade that the FO gave up way too much. Recoup what you can.

I’d be stunned if they got that much for Gobert, but would take that in a heartbeat. He makes $41, $43, $46m btw….the last year a player option that he’ll pick up.
T_J

Post by T_J »

SHAFA wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:57 pm
YBBR wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:28 pm Trading Gobert or Towns saves more of that $100 million dollars. Plus very likely bringing in more picks and value along with them.
That, plus we don’t exactly have much for expiring deals. Maybe they deal Conley if they can get something worthwhile, but I doubt it. Don’t see them dealing Anderson because of how important he was last season, and there’s no evidence that either Minott or Miller are ready for an increase in minutes yet. That leaves the two new signees - Milton and Brown.
Hopefully they use that salary slot, but I don’t think they will do that again. They’d have to take back bad long term money.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

T_J wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:24 pm
YBBR wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:42 pm If they could get 2 first rounders and a salary match for Gobert, I'd bite the bullet and get rid of him. Just chalk it up as a bum ass trade that the FO gave up way too much. Recoup what you can.

I’d be stunned if they got that much for Gobert, but would take that in a heartbeat. He makes $41, $43, $46m btw….the last year a player option that he’ll pick up.
Yep. I bet you could get a first from some team right now, but that's it. Salaries and a first. Wolves essentially ended up giving 4 firsts, a pick swap and Walker Kessler. So 5 future firsts for Gobert. Give me 2 and I'll take it. 1 for 5 feels insanely bad.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

As much of a disaster the Rudy trade appears to be, I am now slowly coming around to the side of letting this thing play out for this coming season and THEN make a move if needed. If somehow both KAT and Rudy stay healthy together (yeah, right) things could get interesting.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

SHAFA wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:57 pm
If we're working within the spirit of packaging Naz with some expirings, then we absolutely have options.

Naz is essentially $13M
We could go big and package him with Conley, and get up to $34M.

On the opposite end...
Jordan McLaughlin is $2M
Troy Brown is $4M
Shake Milton is $5M

Naz + Brown/McLaughlin gets us to $19M.
If we're looking for one singular player, then that's a good number to seek out.

I'm not saying they should do this over Towns/Gobert, but it is a better option than just trading for cap space and a lottery protected first, if we had to do something.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Jaden McDaniels.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

Naz getting the praise he deserves.

Why there’s a Naz Reid cult following among Timberwolves fans. https://www.startribune.com/timberwolve ... 600317108/
My body, my choice.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Such a feel good story! NAZ REID!!!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

The Love is Real.
My heart is family.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

I've been laughed off this stage in the past for suggesting that something other than money could EVER play a part in contract negotiations. Thanks Naz!
Last edited by somuchyummy on Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

He should be the starter and Carl needs to be dealt before that contract kicks in.

Don’t want any players back for Carl. Just draft picks and open up salary cap.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Naz Reid
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:09 pm He should be the starter and Carl needs to be dealt before that contract kicks in.

Thats not how it works...
Mnwild1128

Post by Mnwild1128 »

Dan33185 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:26 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:09 pm He should be the starter and Carl needs to be dealt before that contract kicks in.

I just assumed he meant expirings. But who knows.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Mnwild1128 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:26 pm

I did.

I just don’t want some mediocre player coming back that they extend for too much money.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:28 pm

I did.

I just don’t want some mediocre player coming back that they extend for too much money.
If the New York rumor is true, I'd love a package with Quickley involved, we need a solid backup PG with the potential to be a starter.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Dan33185 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:59 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:28 pm

I did.

If the New York rumor is true, I'd love a package with Quickley involved, we need a solid backup PG with the potential to be a starter.
Ya, the trade I saw was a no brainer involving the Knicks. Saw a lot of Knicks writers talking about it and said it would ruin everything they have done to be relevant again. They don’t want him.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Catalyst wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:57 pm The Love is Real.
Very real, and it’s mutual :love:
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I like Reid as much as the next guy, but this is forced hype by the Wolves Twitter account.

That’s an average of 10pts, 4rbs, 1ast, and .8blks per game.

Not really that big of a deal. The fact that he’s only the fourth wolf to ever do it is the problem!
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:09 am

I like Reid as much as the next guy, but this is forced hype by the Wolves Twitter account.

That’s an average of 10pts, 4rbs, 1ast, and .8blks per game.

Not really that big of a deal. The fact that he’s only the fourth wolf to ever do it is the problem!
It’s the same kind of shit that turned me off of ESPN.