Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2022 Transfer Portal

Home for Gopher football topics
feekdogg

2022 Transfer Portal

Post by feekdogg »

Off and running. So far the Gophers have lost DE Gage Keys and S Jalen Glaze. Just received a commitment from former Wiscy WR Markus Allen.
jffl_commish

Re: 2022 Transfer Portal

Post by jffl_commish »

They definitely need WR upgrades. Hopefully Athan has shown enough that WR's will consider coming here. Also hopefully gone is the service academy style offense they ran against Iowa and other earlier games.
Let's get Tropical
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

jffl_commish wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:42 pm They definitely need WR upgrades. Hopefully Athan has shown enough that WR's will consider coming here. Also hopefully gone is the service academy style offense they ran against Iowa and other earlier games.
I agree, but I did like what I saw from Wright and Jackson on Saturday. Finally they had someone to get them the ball.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

feekdogg wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:47 am Off and running. So far the Gophers have lost DE Gage Keys and S Jalen Glaze. Just received a commitment from former Wiscy WR Markus Allen.
This Allen kid had 30 offers including Mich and MSU. Substantial potential?

The two we lost - they matter?

Any other news in wind?
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

hategreenticemase wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:53 pm
feekdogg wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:47 am Off and running. So far the Gophers have lost DE Gage Keys and S Jalen Glaze. Just received a commitment from former Wiscy WR Markus Allen.

Any other news in wind?
Glaze was a special teamer/depth guy, but assuming they lose both Howden and Nubin at safety, not sure what the plan is back there. Keys didn't play much, but if they're pushing him out the door for someone who can actually get to the QB, that's a huge plus.

I don't know what to make of Allen. He's a least bigger than a lot of the WRs they've brought in, but him not really playing at all in two years at Wisconsin, who has about as much going at WR as the Gophers do right now is a big red flag.
hategreenticemase

feekdogg wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:08 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:53 pm

Any other news in wind?
Glaze was a special teamer/depth guy, but assuming they lose both Howden and Nubin at safety, not sure what the plan is back there. Keys didn't play much, but if they're pushing him out the door for someone who can actually get to the QB, that's a huge plus.

I don't know what to make of Allen. He's a least bigger than a lot of the WRs they've brought in, but him not really playing at all in two years at Wisconsin, who has about as much going at WR as the Gophers do right now is a big red flag.
That was my first thought, wr starved Wis doesn't need him why do we want him?

We could sure use some help for Athan in the portal whether it be receiver, back or OL.
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Post by WannaBeProGolferGuy »

I have a dissenting opinion on Markus Allen then you all. Out of high school he was a 4 Star recruit which means he does have talent and "measurables" ( despite my ongoing gripe over Star Rating of high school kids). He has 3 years of eligibility left since he only played sparingly in 2021 (his True Freshman year) and only about half the games this year since Chryst was fired.

Typically, it takes a kid 2-4 years to develop from a True Freshmen to an impact player. Both Tyler Johnson and Rashod Bateman showed "flashes" their True Freshmen and Red-Shirt Freshmen seasons. Then they exploded. How this plays out for Markus Allen is, he will only get better especially with 3 years of eligbility left.

Plus, CRAB could be coming back if the NCAA gives him a "medical red-shirt", Brevyn Spann-Ford did NOT partake in Senior Day acitivities thus it's possible be bypasses the NFL draft and comes back for 1 more season, Daniel Jackson is emerging as a stud, and let's not forget about Dylan Wright how can put up a high-light reel catch every now and again, Lemeke Brockington who ran a slant route for a TD to beat UW, and Michael Brown-Stephens who is an incredible athlete but has the dropsys. Point is, the WR room could be loaded next year for the Greek Rifle to unleash howitzer after howitzer.

If you all look back to the 2019 season, Pajama's threw the ball A LOT when he had competent Wide Receivers ( Johnson and Bateman). No reason to think he would do anything different next season.

**I suspect that Pajama's attempted to throw the ball more this season, but, concluded the WR corps (minus CRAB) was awful thus the ol hand off to MO 30+ times per game since that will give them the best chance to win. I can envision the Gophers have a more active passing attack next season.

Fleck is a good coach in that he plays to the strength of his team that year. If it means running with MO then it's running with MO. If it's passing with a Greek God of a right arm to capable receivers then he will do that. He will do whatever it takes to win "each Championship" season. #HomerTakeFeelFreeToRipAway
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Steven Ortiz Jr. is leaving. Perfect example of why you don't wet yourself over how many star ratings.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Not transfer related, but Tyler Nubin announced he'll be back. Rather surprising, but huge news for a team that was about to be thin in the secondary.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Another one bites the dust.

Let's get Tropical
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

That one's surprising. Dixon was a starter. Secondary is getting thin.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Mertz is leaving cheeseland.
Let's get Tropical
hategreenticemase

feekdogg wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:05 pm That one's surprising. Dixon was a starter. Secondary is getting thin.
Any word on why he's leaving?

Do we have any good secondary guys coming in?
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

hategreenticemase wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:05 am
feekdogg wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:05 pm That one's surprising. Dixon was a starter. Secondary is getting thin.

I'd assume he's good enough to get NIL money closer to home at this point (he's from Georgia). Blows, but that's the new reality of college football. They have a S named Coleman Bryson that was sort of the big surprise of Fall Camp who redshirted. I assume he'll play a ton next year. 2 DB starters out of eligibility, plus at least 3 transferring out is going to be a problem for a team that plays a base nickel defense.
hategreenticemase

feekdogg wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:17 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:05 am

I'd assume he's good enough to get NIL money closer to home at this point (he's from Georgia). Blows, but that's the new reality of college football. They have a S named Coleman Bryson that was sort of the big surprise of Fall Camp who redshirted. I assume he'll play a ton next year. 2 DB starters out of eligibility, plus at least 3 transferring out is going to be a problem for a team that plays a base nickel defense.
That sucks.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

I wonder how many new players Fleck will get through the transfer portal? 12?
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Bob Wiley wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:30 am I wonder how many new players Fleck will get through the transfer portal? 12?
Depends on how many more go, I suppose. You've still got to manage the scholarship grid and keep it at 85 (less if you want room to give one or more to a walk-on). You've also got to think about future roster construction. This year and next, there is no limit on the number of new players you can add (as long as you're within the scholarship limits). In 2024, you can only add up to 25 new players each year. The transfer portal will still be huge part of roster construction, but coaches are going to be more selective on how much they want to prioritize transfers as opposed to bringing in high school recruits.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

The transfer portal and NIL's make a dirty game way more dirty.
Let's get Tropical
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

Hopefully, fleck gets a couple WR’s.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Bob Wiley wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:07 pm Hopefully, fleck gets a couple WR’s.
Depends. If you think that the Wisconsin game was a trend and not a mirage, they had 3 WRs and a TE who all had really nice games. They've already got one transfer WR committed and Autman-Bell coming back. They might feel like that's enough.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

feekdogg wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:26 pm
Depends. If you think that the Wisconsin game was a trend and not a mirage, they had 3 WRs and a TE who all had really nice games. They've already got one transfer WR committed and Autman-Bell coming back. They might feel like that's enough.
I agree, I they have something with Jackson and Wright next year, but they'll be seniors next year.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

They have 1 WR coming in already.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

Slap Shot wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:07 pm They have 1 WR coming in already.
From the transfer portal? Who?
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Bob Wiley wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:20 pm
From the transfer portal? Who?
The lad from Wisconsin Bob....
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

His name is Markus Allen from the Badgers.
hategreenticemase

Yeah I forgot about autumn Bell and I agree with you here. Is Spann Ford back for sure - that's a big key. They will already be better by a lot of those guys both back and if you can assume Jackson and Wright are going to be like Saturday.

What we really need a stud received recruit.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:14 am
Yeah I forgot about autumn Bell and I agree with you here. Is Spann Ford back for sure - that's a big key. They will already be better by a lot of those guys both back and if you can assume Jackson and Wright are going to be like Saturday.

Spann-Ford didn't participate in Senior Day and he's extremely iffy to be drafted. I'd be shocked if he doesn't return.

It'd be real neat to grab another Bateman, but that's easier said than done. Maybe now that Mo is moving on, they can evolve the offense a little more to be more desirable for WR recruits. That, and Kaliakmanis continuing to develop would go a long, long way in that regard.
hategreenticemase

feekdogg wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:43 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:14 am

Spann-Ford didn't participate in Senior Day and he's extremely iffy to be drafted. I'd be shocked if he doesn't return.

It'd be real neat to grab another Bateman, but that's easier said than done. Maybe now that Mo is moving on, they can evolve the offense a little more to be more desirable for WR recruits. That, and Kaliakmanis continuing to develop would go a long, long way in that regard.
Indeed. We may need a stud back more than a receiver at this point....
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Having the portal be open before bowl season is stupid
Let's get Tropical
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

jffl_commish wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:31 am Having the portal be open before bowl season is stupid
Not much you can do about it though. Early Signing Day is in two weeks and you've got to know how many spots are going to be open/you need to fill. You'd rather win a bowl game than lose it, but unless it's part of a playoff, a bowl game is just a glorified exhibition game.