Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2022 Transfer Portal

Home for Gopher football topics
feekdogg

Re: 2022 Transfer Portal

Post by feekdogg »

Oof. Braelon Oliver to the portal. A senior, who's been a starter basically his entire career when healthy.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

And now Markus Allen says, Nevermind, my recruitment is 100% open. This is fucking ridiculous.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

feekdogg wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:53 pm And now Markus Allen says, Nevermind, my recruitment is 100% open. This is fucking ridiculous.
Paying these college kids and giving them freedom to change their minds on a whim was ALWAYS going to be a problem. Shame on those responsible for letting it happen....
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

WR Corey Crooms from Western Michigan incoming.
Let's get Tropical
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

jffl_commish wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:48 pm WR Corey Crooms from Western Michigan incoming.
Better than Markus Allen??
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Another Western Michigan guy, LB Ryan Selig
Let's get Tropical
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Hornets wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:03 pm
jffl_commish wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:48 pm WR Corey Crooms from Western Michigan incoming.
Better than Markus Allen??
Well, one has 10 career catches for 150 yards and one TD, the other has 115 catches for 1750+ yards and 12 TDs.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Probably not worth a thread, so here goes. RB coach Kenny Burns is the new head coach at Kent St
Let's get Tropical
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

jffl_commish wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:20 pm Probably not worth a thread, so here goes. RB coach Kenny Burns is the new head coach at Kent St
Dont know much about him other than he's been here for years, and our RBs have been really good all those years
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Another WR

Let's get Tropical
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

I think they aren't really banking on Autman-Bell getting fully back, at least not for the start of the season. Spencer had a really nice year, 950 yards receiving and 9 TDs.

They also added a DB from SE Louisiana via transfer portal and a high school LB from outside Chicago over the weekend. Lots going on between now and Wednesday (early signing day).

And they just got a commit from a WR from Indy who had previously been committed to Purdue, but decommitted after Brohm left for Louisville. That's a lot of WRs on the roster. Wonder if there are some guys who are getting nudged to consider transferring.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

feekdogg wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:09 am I think they aren't really banking on Autman-Bell getting fully back, at least not for the start of the season. Spencer had a really nice year, 950 yards receiving and 9 TDs.

They also added a DB from SE Louisiana via transfer portal and a high school LB from outside Chicago over the weekend. Lots going on between now and Wednesday (early signing day).

And they just got a commit from a WR from Indy who had previously been committed to Purdue, but decommitted after Brohm left for Louisville. That's a lot of WRs on the roster. Wonder if there are some guys who are getting nudged to consider transferring.
Have to like he has 3 years left. In your view, is he and the W Mich dude both better than anyone not named Autmun Bell that are currently on the roster?

Feek, last question - you have a magic want and can obtain via the portal a quality starter at one position and a strong quality starter/possible stud at one other. What two positions would your wish list be? Maybe done enough on WR that focus should be D?
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

hategreenticemase wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:48 am
feekdogg wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:09 am I think they aren't really banking on Autman-Bell getting fully back, at least not for the start of the season. Spencer had a really nice year, 950 yards receiving and 9 TDs.

Have to like he has 3 years left. In your view, is he and the W Mich dude both better than anyone not named Autmun Bell that are currently on the roster?

Feek, last question - you have a magic want and can obtain via the portal a quality starter at one position and a strong quality starter/possible stud at one other. What two positions would your wish list be? Maybe done enough on WR that focus should be D?
Spencer and Crooms are certainly more established, but can they do what they did in the MAC and C-USA in the Big Ten? I don't know. Crooms is more of a slot guy. Spencer's big enough to play outside, that's what they need more than anything. Which brings me to Dylan Wright. Wish I could figure him out. He's got the tools and size, but the head and the heart both seem to be a problem. No one else on the roster can bring what he brings, especially in catching contested balls.

Number one area of need with a bullet for me (and it's not even a tough decision) is a pass rusher. Get someone, anyone that can get to the QB. 17 sacks as a team over a 12 game season doesn't cut it (dead last in the conference).
#2 is an interior lineman. Center/guard, whatever. They've got the pieces in-house to make it work (including possibly shifting Carroll to guard), but there's not a lot of depth there, and frankly the team got pretty lucky when it came to injuries last year.
hategreenticemase

feekdogg wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:11 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:48 am

Spencer and Crooms are certainly more established, but can they do what they did in the MAC and C-USA in the Big Ten? I don't know. Crooms is more of a slot guy. Spencer's big enough to play outside, that's what they need more than anything. Which brings me to Dylan Wright. Wish I could figure him out. He's got the tools and size, but the head and the heart both seem to be a problem. No one else on the roster can bring what he brings, especially in catching contested balls.

Number one area of need with a bullet for me (and it's not even a tough decision) is a pass rusher. Get someone, anyone that can get to the QB. 17 sacks as a team over a 12 game season doesn't cut it (dead last in the conference).
#2 is an interior lineman. Center/guard, whatever. They've got the pieces in-house to make it work (including possibly shifting Carroll to guard), but there's not a lot of depth there, and frankly the team got pretty lucky when it came to injuries last year.
Agreed on all this. They seem adept at developing OL so I may change my second wish to playmaker at LB or a second DL pass rusher, but we are on same page. Just hope we have enough talent to take advantage of our qb so we can worry on other needs....
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Added Chris Collins, transfer LB from UNC. 6'4" 245.

Edit: Looks to be more of an edge rusher than LB. We'll see.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

jffl_commish wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:36 pm Another WR

This is good news!
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I'm a little surprised they haven't hit a RB yet. You'd think a solid RB out there would see what RB's do here and jump on it.
Let's get Tropical
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Post by WannaBeProGolferGuy »

Homer Take here, but,

Pajama's has added a TON of WR depth the last couple of weeks via the Transfer Portal. I wonder if he knows that he has an elite Talent in the Greek Rifle that has a howitzer of a right arm and will be transforming the offense from the ultra-conservative run first and transitioning to the 2nd coming of Air Correal?
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:21 pm Homer Take here, but,

Pajama's has added a TON of WR depth the last couple of weeks via the Transfer Portal. I wonder if he knows that he has an elite Talent in the Greek Rifle that has a howitzer of a right arm and will be transforming the offense from the ultra-conservative run first and transitioning to the 2nd coming of Air Correal?
That's maybe part of it, but I think it's little more than just a roster management issue. They lost a few WRs at the bottom of the depth chart via transfer last year and didn't really fill those spots. I think they only had 8 on the roster to close the year. Most teams have around a dozen on the roster at any time.
Also looks like Brown-Stephens has been strongly urged to consider looking for a new school
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

jffl_commish wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:48 pm I'm a little surprised they haven't hit a RB yet. You'd think a solid RB out there would see what RB's do here and jump on it.
Gotta remember this is also just phase one. After spring ball when everyone has a better idea of where they stand in terms of depth chart/playing time going into 23, there's going to be more player movement at that point as well.
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Post by WannaBeProGolferGuy »

Not Gopher related but interesting

jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

A dirty game is a lot more dirty. Within a few years, there won't be but about 10 teams that matter.
Let's get Tropical
hategreenticemase

WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:35 pm Not Gopher related but interesting

Legalized cheating. It was better before when there was cheating and everyone knew it, but it at least was harder to do. :lol:
hategreenticemase

feekdogg wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:08 am
jffl_commish wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:48 pm I'm a little surprised they haven't hit a RB yet. You'd think a solid RB out there would see what RB's do here and jump on it.
Gotta remember this is also just phase one. After spring ball when everyone has a better idea of where they stand in terms of depth chart/playing time going into 23, there's going to be more player movement at that point as well.
What is the feekdog's overall gopher report card on phase 1 of the portal this year? Are we winning, are we losing, what's your assessment?
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:17 am
What is the feekdog's overall gopher report card on phase 1 of the portal this year? Are we winning, are we losing, what's your assessment?
Just as far as transfers in/out? They lost more a couple of starters on D and the guys they brought in aren't as established, at least as far as showing they can play at Big Ten levels. Getting two likely starting WRs in the portal is a pretty obvious win.
hategreenticemase

feekdogg wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:11 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:17 am

Just as far as transfers in/out? They lost more a couple of starters on D and the guys they brought in aren't as established, at least as far as showing they can play at Big Ten levels. Getting two likely starting WRs in the portal is a pretty obvious win.
Yes that's what I was asking, kind of figured that would be an answer. If we could get some sort of blue chipper on defense we'd really be sitting good...
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Not transfers but didn't want to start a new thread: https://gophersports.com/sports/football/roster/2022-23

A few of note:

Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

For what I can tell, they ended up with twenty guys. Some look pretty good on paper, but still middle of the pack in the Big10, at best.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Bob Wiley wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:34 pm For what I can tell, they ended up with twenty guys. Some look pretty good on paper, but still middle of the pack in the Big10, at best.
They took 21 scholarship high school seniors and 5 transfers (with another 7 walk-on/preferred walk-ons). They currently have 90 scholarships committed for 2023. NCAA limit is 85. At least 5 more players will enter the portal after the bowl game.