Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

KATs value

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
somuchyummy

Re: KATs value

Post by somuchyummy »

i started the blind FT challenge as kind of a joke. The elementary school kids liked it. But it did get a little disturbing when I discovered that over a considerable time span, I was hitting about 65% of them with my eyes closed while Culver was hitting them at a 60% clip. And, while you can sometimes excuse a really big dude with really big hands for having a poor FT% (unless you're Embiid, i guess) - it just makes ZERO sense that a 6-6 195 lb NBA GUARD should be so terrible at nailing open, unrushed 15 footers. Seriously Jarrett, WTF?
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
shuttlesworth

Post by shuttlesworth »

Shooting FTs in a game is a lot different than practicing them. Probably way different in an NBA game.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

shuttlesworth wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:48 pm Shooting FTs in a game is a lot different than practicing them. Probably way different in an NBA game.
yes, but he's a pro. and the league average is a helluva lot better than 60%. other guys seem to make them.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

shuttlesworth wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:48 pm Shooting FTs in a game is a lot different than practicing them. Probably way different in an NBA game.
Really depends how you are practicing. I always thought it harder to shoot FTs in practice situations by yourself than anything a game could offer. Typically you have been conditioning, getting up hundreds of shots and then you needed to rebound your takes disrupting your rhythm every time. If you can make FTs in that situation in game shouldn't be a problem unless it is mental or an inability to block out stimuli. Now if you are talking about light shooting and people are rebounding for you perhaps there might be a claim, but if you can do the first you should be able to hit FTs in any environment.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Average FT% by position this year.

PG - 82%
SG - 82%
SF - 78%
PF - 75%
C - 73%

Culver was a career 51% shooter from the stripe.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Game like last night still makes me think the best move is to move KAT... commit to Naz/Jaden for the future WITH Ant.

Having more wing shooters surrounding Ant, those two and Gobert for now.... it's not that KAT isn't a good piece with the current team but the money is sooo large... and if you can't win without Ant because you don't have enough creativity on the perimeter, that's a problem.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Style

Post by Style »

HeHateMe wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:01 pm Game like last night still makes me think the best move is to move KAT... commit to Naz/Jaden for the future WITH Ant.

Having more wing shooters surrounding Ant, those two and Gobert for now.... it's not that KAT isn't a good piece with the current team but the money is sooo large... and if you can't win without Ant because you don't have enough creativity on the perimeter, that's a problem.
Exactly. KAT for D. Murray makes a ton of sense for us.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
twolves31

Post by twolves31 »

Style wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:20 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:01 pm Game like last night still makes me think the best move is to move KAT... commit to Naz/Jaden for the future WITH Ant.

Atlanta fans hate Murray, the team has gotten worse since he got there. Lost 2 more games last year from the year before he got there, and unless they go 15-8 the rest of the way they are going to take another step back this year.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

twolves31 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:28 pm

Atlanta fans hate Murray, the team has gotten worse since he got there. Lost 2 more games last year from the year before he got there, and unless they go 15-8 the rest of the way they are going to take another step back this year.
that might more be about expectations and how the onus of squashed expectations falls on the new guy. But remember that Trae is an historically horrible defender - something that his team always has to cope with. And with Capela not the anchor he used to be, it's hard slogging. Murray is fine - and actually a nice talent comp for KAT. He's averaging 22/ 5/ 6 on the season. In the four games since Trae's been out, he's upped his assists avg to nearly 10 per game. If we get Monte to return, and made a trade like this, it would mean some roster juggling. Likely Ant would be playing a little more at the 3 than he's used to - (and he's been doing that since Morris came on board) - and probably Jaden would be seeing more time at the 4 as well. But starting out a rotation of Mike - Morris - Murray - Ant - NAW - Jaden - Naz - Rudy with Lenny, Luka and Clark in the wings (plus possibly KA) PLUS two picks between 26 and 35 - and who knows in FA - doesn't look too bad. I think we're getting thru this Gobert trade in alright fashion.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Looking more for a pure shooter in some sense compared to Murray.... but if there are other good pieces coming with ATL, maybe.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:21 pm
twolves31 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:28 pm

that might more be about expectations and how the onus of squashed expectations falls on the new guy. But remember that Trae is an historically horrible defender - something that his team always has to cope with. And with Capela not the anchor he used to be, it's hard slogging. Murray is fine - and actually a nice talent comp for KAT. He's averaging 22/ 5/ 6 on the season. In the four games since Trae's been out, he's upped his assists avg to nearly 10 per game. If we get Monte to return, and made a trade like this, it would mean some roster juggling. Likely Ant would be playing a little more at the 3 than he's used to - (and he's been doing that since Morris came on board) - and probably Jaden would be seeing more time at the 4 as well. But starting out a rotation of Mike - Morris - Murray - Ant - NAW - Jaden - Naz - Rudy with Lenny, Luka and Clark in the wings (plus possibly KA) PLUS two picks between 26 and 35 - and who knows in FA - doesn't look too bad. I think we're getting thru this Gobert trade in alright fashion.
What's the straight up trade between the two teams?

Murray/Bogdan/Johnson for KAT? I'd ask for a lot at this point.. especially if it helps balance Atlanta's roster giving them a second all star with Trae.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

that's asking too much. they love johnson. i could see them maybe adding hunter - but then the money probably doesn't work. gotta remember - Murray is averaging 22/5/6 playing off ball from Trae - he's not exactly some schlub.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:10 am that's asking too much. they love johnson. i could see them maybe adding hunter - but then the money probably doesn't work. gotta remember - Murray is averaging 22/5/6 playing off ball from Trae - he's not exactly some schlub.
Ask for everything at first!
twolves31

Post by twolves31 »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:10 am that's asking too much. they love johnson. i could see them maybe adding hunter - but then the money probably doesn't work. gotta remember - Murray is averaging 22/5/6 playing off ball from Trae - he's not exactly some schlub.
Laker's refused to trade Reave's 15 points and 0 defense for Murray, Pelican's refused to trade Herb Jones for Murray. Dlo has averaged similar numbers in the past and he's a schlub.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

OK. I'm officially off the Murray bandwagon. (And i have to qualify this by saying that trading KAT only should be an option if we absolutely bomb out in the playoffs). but i did a websearch of Dejounte Murray bad attitude - and yeah, there's a lot to find and lots written about it. so yeah, pass. It's also a somewhat outmoded idea with the resigning of Mike - the possibility of signing Morris again - and the nice tandem with have at the 2 with Ant and NAW. KAT for Murray made more sense last year when we were scrambling for PG solutions.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:14 pm OK. I'm officially off the Murray bandwagon. (And i have to qualify this by saying that trading KAT only should be an option if we absolutely bomb out in the playoffs). but i did a websearch of Dejounte Murray bad attitude - and yeah, there's a lot to find and lots written about it. so yeah, pass. It's also a somewhat outmoded idea with the resigning of Mike - the possibility of signing Morris again - and the nice tandem with have at the 2 with Ant and NAW. KAT for Murray made more sense last year when we were scrambling for PG solutions.
Too bad Butler and KAT hate each other -- Miami would be an interesting landing spot for KAT.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:08 am
somuchyummy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:14 pm OK. I'm officially off the Murray bandwagon. (And i have to qualify this by saying that trading KAT only should be an option if we absolutely bomb out in the playoffs). but i did a websearch of Dejounte Murray bad attitude - and yeah, there's a lot to find and lots written about it. so yeah, pass. It's also a somewhat outmoded idea with the resigning of Mike - the possibility of signing Morris again - and the nice tandem with have at the 2 with Ant and NAW. KAT for Murray made more sense last year when we were scrambling for PG solutions.
Too bad Butler and KAT hate each other -- Miami would be an interesting landing spot for KAT.
if Naz would be getting most of the KAT minutes and the team signs morris what type of player would you be targeting in a KAT trade? i just don't think you're going to get close to "value" for him with someone on another team's roster right now--or what position that would be. would there ever be a scenario where they traded him for the top pick in the draft? maybe you could go young and try to reconfigure for your big run in a couple of years--and in the meantime see what you can do without KAT in your lineup for the next couple of seasons.

i just don't see where trading for players in the league right now would benefit the wolves in a trade with how their roster is configured. just spitballing now with the top pick suggestion.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

I think the value would have to be a decent vet or two (who could make the money work) and then an up and coming young guy with a lot of potential. The key to coming out alright would be the development of the young guy. Example - Houston. Sending us Steven Adams and Dillon Brooks for the money plus Jabari Smith for the potential. We'd be looking like this:

Mike - Monte
Ant - NAW
Jaden - Brooks
Jabari - Naz
Rudy - Adams

Once again, I'm not advocating moving Karl now. But if we crash and burn in the playoffs, both he and Jaden should have question marks over their heads.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:20 am
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:08 am
if Naz would be getting most of the KAT minutes and the team signs morris what type of player would you be targeting in a KAT trade? i just don't think you're going to get close to "value" for him with someone on another team's roster right now--or what position that would be. would there ever be a scenario where they traded him for the top pick in the draft? maybe you could go young and try to reconfigure for your big run in a couple of years--and in the meantime see what you can do without KAT in your lineup for the next couple of seasons.

i just don't see where trading for players in the league right now would benefit the wolves in a trade with how their roster is configured. just spitballing now with the top pick suggestion.
Splitting up that salary into a couple shooters (not sure on position... likely wings, Ant then can play point in crunch time)..
Just like SMY's example... Miami.... Herro/Robinson/Jaquez?/pick? This won't happen because of Butler but just an example. I want more shooting around Ant.. KAT seems like he can only shoot from certain spots... and the inability to take advantage of smaller guys on him is so incredibly frustrating. 50 mil a year for that... hmm..
ChrisPaulGeorgeHill

Post by ChrisPaulGeorgeHill »

Would Cleveland make a decent trade partner in the event that they get bounced in the first round in hasty fashion?

Not only for a KAT trade, but maybe they might be interested in McDaniels as well or instead of KAT?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

maybe in a three team deal - i can't see them keeping Jarrett Allen if they got KAT (they wouldn't trade Mobley i dont think). But why would we want a C of Allen's caliber to sit behind Rudy? a more understandable deal might involve Jaden. Strus at SF is probably the most upgradeable of their starters, but Jaden's going to have to be more consistent to warrant that - because Strus can be a very disruptive defender, plus get you more O than Jaden - and a starting frontline of Jaden/Mobley/Allen is pretty offensively limited.
Dubs

Post by Dubs »

This. 👆🏼

I posted the following on 2/11; topic page 109, for some simple banter, consideration, & discussion, & instead all that ensued was 2-pages about all the wrong takes placed on this topic.

I’m with you 💯, the financials don’t pencil out, it’s only a matter a time.

“My far too early fake KAT deals at the Draft, in no particular order (as of mid-February):

ATL - Murray $25.5mm, Capela $22.3mm (expiring), Bufkin $4.5mm, & 2 first round picks; includes Moore Jr. $2.5mm

DET - Ivey $8mm, Stewart $15mm, 2 first round picks, & $26mm salary relief (traded into space); leaves DET $58mm under the tax line

ORL - Suggs $9.2mm, Carter Jr. $12mm, Howard $5.5mm, 2 first round picks, & $22.5mm salary relief (traded into space); leaves ORL $45mm under the tax line

I’ve got my fave, how about you?”
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Just realised this went past 116… how far we havr been removed from kfan.
twolves31

Post by twolves31 »

Why is this even a discussion at this point? Kat can't be moved until the Summer, lets see how the rest of the season and the playoffs play out. We can worry about Arod and Lore paying that 2nd luxury tax apron in the summer.
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

twolves31 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:06 am Why is this even a discussion at this point? Kat can't be moved until the Summer, lets see how the rest of the season and the playoffs play out. We can worry about Arod and Lore paying that 2nd luxury tax apron in the summer.
Exactly. Atlanta makes no sense for Kat. if they move Murray, they are looking to blow it up, not take on a player such as Kat.
Lightning

Post by Lightning »

Torn Meniscus? OOF!

Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Lightning wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:10 am Torn Meniscus? OOF!

irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Minnesota can just never have nice things. Terrible news for Karl man.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

irishman89 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:13 am Minnesota can just never have nice things. Terrible news for Karl man.
when did this happen? on what play? arrrggghhhh.
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

Congrats to the thunder, winners of the western conference