Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Should the Twins fire Rocco and his staff

A place to discuss the MN Twins

Should the Twins fire Rocco and his staff

Yes
72%
No
11%
It doesn't matter because the Pohlad's still own the team
17%

Total votes: 18

salamander

Re: Should the Twins fire Rocco and his staff

Post by salamander »

It will never matter who our manager is until the Pohlads are gone. The Twins suck because of the Pohlads self imposed salary cap.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
The Real Ted

Post by The Real Ted »

feekdogg wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:33 pm trading for pitchers who were hurt when they dealt for them.
That’s the one… I don’t get.

Are there MLB teams out there thinking…

“His arm is shot. I think he probably needs surgery. And I don’t know if that’s going to help. Let’s call Minnesota and see what we can get for him.”

What the fuck?!
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

JFC. This article is clickbait shit. However, if the Twins were to pull a Mauer with Buxton at 29 years old, I think I'll vomit.
Byron Buxton prepares (reluctantly) to be a Twins designated hitter. 'I'm a center fielder'

FORT MYERS, Fla. — The Twins' designated hitter in 2023 will bat from both sides of the plate.

He'll be fast. And slow. And somewhere in-between.

He'll steal bases. And be ordered to stay put.

He'll hit for power, and average, and draw walks. Or not.

He'll be young, and experienced.

He'll DH because of statistical prowess or sore feet.

The Twins' DH in 2023 will be … anyone on the roster who owns a game-used bat.

"You could probably name just about every guy out there in the regular lineup that's going to have some time at DH,'' Twins manager Rocco Baldelli said. "I could waste everyone's energy and start listing all of them. There's a lot of them, so we're going to have some options.''

Baldelli noted that if the Twins still employed Nelson Cruz, or someone like him, they would use him as a full-time DH. They don't, so the DH slot will be used to give a player a day off the field, or employ players who match up well with the opponent's starting pitcher.

Byron Buxton and Jorge Polanco, who have been frequently hampered by injuries, will be given days at DH to rest their legs. Carlos Correa could DH when the Twins want to get backup shortstop Kyle Farmer into the lineup.

Then there are the Twins' young, promising hitters — Alex Kirilloff, Trevor Larnach, Matt Wallner and Kyle Garlick — who could make the lineup deeper and more powerful if they can win roster spots and produce when used at DH.

"It's a good way to use the DH slot,'' Baldelli said. "There have been guys in the game like Nelson Cruz and David Ortiz who really fit that spot. Well, if you have guys like that, you're going to go with guys like that.

"But I think for most clubs, the best way to do it is to rotate that thing around.''

This, like most conversations in the Twins' spring training camp, leads back to Buxton. Last year, he started 51 games in center field and 34 at DH, as the Twins tried to avoid overworking his injured right knee and hip.

There was a contradiction inherent in that strategy, because there were times last year when Buxton felt more pain when he swung than when he ran.

Buxton this week expressed a disdain for the DH spot, saying that the role is hardly restful, and that being in the dugout limits his value.

"It is what it is,'' Buxton said. "I'm a center fielder, so anything that has to do with me getting somebody else out, I'm all in. It's different for me. I did a little bit of it last year, so I got into the mindset, got more reps with it.

"So I'm a little more prepared this year.''

Is it like having a day off? "No, no,'' he said. "If it were a day off, I wouldn't be swinging in-between at-bats. That's more than you do on a day off. That's more than you swing when you're in the game. People don't realize that at DH you have to stay loose. You don't just watch the game in the dugout or on TV. We literally hit more balls in the cage than we do when we're playing.

"Last year I knew I was a little bit limited, so I knew I had to DH, just to make sure my body was right.''

Buxton spoke with Cruz about the position. Cruz, like Paul Molitor, turned the job into a strict regimen. "Mentally, it's very hard,'' Buxton said.

Last year, as a center fielder, Buxton had an OPS of .853. As a DH, his OPS was .823. That's a negligible difference, one possibly explained by the fact that Buxton was used as a DH when his leg was bothering him.

Buxton. Polanco. Correa. Larnach. Garlick. Wallner. Alex Kirilloff. Joey Gallo. Max Kepler. Jose Miranda. Farmer. Michael Taylor. Nick Gordon.

The DH role could be played by a cast of thousands, but I'm with Buxton: The more he plays in center field, the better this team will be.
–Jim Souhan

https://m.startribune.com/byron-buxton- ... 600253285/
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Nothing we have read or seen so far indicates that Buck will play more than 90 games this season....gotta deal with it I guess.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I don't know who Rocco babies more. The SP's, or Buxton.
Let's get Tropical
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Congrats Rocco on 300 wins!

:lol:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Tom Kelly won 1,140 games, Ron Gardenhire 1,068, Sam Mele 522, Gene Mauch 378 and Paul Molitor 205. Just behind Baldelli on the list is Frank Quilici at 280 and Billy Gardner at 268.

Baldelli won his first game March 28, 2019 at Cleveland, his 100th on Sept. 27 that same season and his 200th on Sept. 11, 2021, vs. Kansas City.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Hornets

Post by Hornets »

ForCaleb wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:19 am
Great video. I had kind of forgotten about Rocco's playing days story and had it not been for his health issues it appears he would have had a long and productive playing career.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners: