Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

**Official 2022-23 Gophers Hockey Chat!**

Home for Gopher Hockey
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Re: **Official 2022-23 Gophers Hockey Chat!**

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

that's hockey.
NonprovincialMNFan

Post by NonprovincialMNFan »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:32 pm
I'd like to hear what Motzko would have to say about what he was telling his players (coaching wise) during the 3rd period....when they stopped playing their game.
Doc Holliday: There's no normal life, Wyatt, it's just life. Get on with it.
Nightfly

Post by Nightfly »

Q is known for their conditioning, a la Herb Brooks. Think they knew that, come 3rd period, they'd have more gas left in the tank. All they had to do was keep it close.

One consolation, historically -- at least this isn't one of the all-time powers (UND, Michigan, BU, etc) creating further separation between themselves and the Gophers.

Quinnipiac is kind of a feel-good story.

:thinking: :?
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

The soft ice slowed the gophers down. Nies, cooley never could get around anyone.

Snuggys shot for the right wing, the puck got up just as he shot. Cause? Snow from soft ice?

the penalty on cooley in the 3rd should have been let go as one ref closests was going to do.
In the 1st period it would have been both of them.
The ref at the far end saw a high stick. He could not see what caused it. bad call.

Hell of a move to pull the goalie on that PP.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Hornets wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:46 pm Can't make it up. We are from Minnesota. We are incapable of good things. I can't take much more of this.
Just tuned in. How do we look?
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

O a kerfuffle ...refs were nchc crew!!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

heckuva photo of the game winner in the strib.

Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:23 am heckuva photo of the game winner in the strib.

Another great shot is from the corner that is on kstp.com.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Sellingguy wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:27 am
weimy froob wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:23 am heckuva photo of the game winner in the strib.

Another great shot is from the corner that is on kstp.com.
yeah. now i see what he did to score better.

Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

It is a standard play on winning the faceoff. 2 things stand out.
1. #22 for the gophers falls down as the puck goes back to the Q dman. It is his man that scored.
2. Gopher D #4 is caught taking a stride up ice as the pass comes across center ice, putting him way out of position.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Sellingguy wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:02 am It is a standard play on winning the faceoff. 2 things stand out.
1. #22 for the gophers falls down as the puck goes back to the Q dman. It is his man that scored.
2. Gopher D #4 is caught taking a stride up ice as the pass comes across center ice, putting him way out of position.
is #14 the right D?
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:14 am
Sellingguy wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:02 am It is a standard play on winning the faceoff. 2 things stand out.
is #14 the right D?
4 is the right D and he is way over to left. He was moving from his spot to try to break up the pass.
The only person really in Position was 2 and he got beat.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Sellingguy wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:22 am
weimy froob wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:14 am
is #14 the right D?
4 is the right D and he is way over to left. He was moving from his spot to try to break up the pass.
The only person really in Position was 2 and he got beat.
every mistake was accentuated because of that beautiful pass by the quinnipiac defenseman. just never gave the gophers a chance to recover. the winger did his job with his pass and the move across the goal by the scorer and the game was over.
Last edited by weimy froob on Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chet Manly

Post by Chet Manly »

Sellingguy wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:36 am The soft ice slowed the gophers down. Nies, cooley never could get around anyone.

Snuggys shot for the right wing, the puck got up just as he shot. Cause? Snow from soft ice?

the penalty on cooley in the 3rd should have been let go as one ref closests was going to do.
The ref at the far end saw a high stick. He could not see what caused it. bad call.

This take is spot on. That ice was awful more than five minutes into a period. Of course, both teams played on it so it can’t be an excuse, but that’s going to neutralize a glitzy team and reward a trap team. I’d love to say it’s a reason why these games shouldn’t be played in f’n Tampa Bay, but after selling out the stadium last night, I fear the NCAA will keep it in the rotation.

I’ll say it again. The best team lost. The most deserving team won.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

Chet Manly wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:26 am
Sellingguy wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:36 am The soft ice slowed the gophers down. Nies, cooley never could get around anyone.

This take is spot on. That ice was awful more than five minutes into a period. Of course, both teams played on it so it can’t be an excuse, but that’s going to neutralize a glitzy team and reward a trap team. I’d love to say it’s a reason why these games shouldn’t be played in f’n Tampa Bay, but after selling out the stadium last night, I fear the NCAA will keep it in the rotation.

I’ll say it again. The best team lost. The most deserving team won.
They talked about the sites yesterday in the pregame with the coaches interview taped on Friday.
While I was against tampa when they started with the "different" locations, tampa has proven to be a great site. Now, with todays tech, why the hell cant they keep the ice good? This is not a new problem.
Both coaches said they would like to see the NCAA lock in Boston, St Paul and Tampa into a 4 year rotation. They did not expand on what the 4th site would be.
Frozen four always sells out, that is not a issue. The issue is will people show up.
Columbus was a horrible site in 04 or 05. 4 WCHA teams. While considered a sell out, there was not 10k in the stands for Sioux vs Denver championship game. $10.00 a seat outside.

Maine, Michigan, North Dakota and Minnesota fans hold the most "season tickets" for the frozen four. I bought mine for Columbus from a maine fan. The next year he called me once he knew maine was out and I got milwaukee from him. I passed on St Louis and Denver years.

Next year at the X. I have never paid the price to get into the X. Last time I tried was Sioux vs Michigan game and the scalpers were getting $200.00 per seat outside. I stuck around until 10 minutes to puck drop and could not get anyone to drop price. Fans of both teams were jumping out of cars waiving $100.00 bills. I Got home 5 minutes into the game. Michigan won that one, Duluth beat them for the championship.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Hornets wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:22 pm
Hoop Dreams wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:18 pm
Hornets wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:09 pm With the Frozen Four here next year I suppose there is hope that Cooley and Snuggerud decide there is unfinished business and decide to come back.... but I'm doubtful that happens.
I'm not so sure Cooley is ready to make the jump. He looked physically over-matched tonight against bigger, more experienced players.
Guessing we'll find out fairly soon who is and isn't coming back... there's a great class of newcomers heading to Dinkytown so there is hope... there's always hope
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

1. The ice in the championship game was fucking awful. When the defensemen would pass the puck it would bounce and skip all over the place. Not sure why the ice is so bad since it is an arena that hosts one of the best NHL franchises.

2. Jimmy should have been a step wider on that play which would have created a better passing and shooting angle. If he is there that shot is still hanging at the back of the net.

3. The Cooley penalty was assinine. People were arguing with me that Cooley should have "just let it go", but then, the opponent was holding his stick. WHen the opponent is holding your stick and they call you for high sticking it is the refs fucking you over.

It was a great game, great Final Four. I had a blast at the game. Too bad for the ending. We played tentatively with that lead and Quinnipiac reached a point were they had nothing to lose.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Snuggerud coming back! That has help in Cooley's decision. If Logan comes back for one more year the Rodents could make another run at it!!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

to the winner goes the spoils.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

With all due respect....

:doublefinger: :doublefinger: :doublefinger:
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:50 pm

Would love to hear Kamla's speech to the victors...
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Hornets wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:16 am
weimy froob wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:50 pm

Would love to hear Kamla's speech to the victors...
Even in a hockey thread? :roll:
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Not even July but I am getting excited for another season of Golden Gopher hockey! Can't wait to see this Oliver Moore youngster added to the lineup!

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum