Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Joni Mitchell

Music forum.
weimy froob

Joni Mitchell

Post by weimy froob »

Joni Mitchell gives first full live performance since 2002
The musician’s set at the Newport Folk festival was her first since she had a brain aneurysm in 2015

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
weimy froob

Re: Joni Mitchell

Post by weimy froob »

ocsid

Post by ocsid »

With Brandi Carlisle, who I'm going to see next weekend.
Proud member of the Low-T Posse®
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Joni Mitchell sings, steals show with surprise Newport Folk Festival concert
July 25, 202212:26 AM ET

A woman who believed in a young Joni Mitchell's music brought her to the Newport Folk Festival for the first time in 1967, and another brought the 78-year-old legend back for a historic set to close the Rhode Island fest this year. The first was Judy Collins, who invited a then-undiscovered Mitchell to join in an afternoon celebrating emerging singer-songwriters in folk music, alongside other future icons like Leonard Cohen. On Sunday night, Brandi Carlile was the force behind Mitchell's return to the stage. The crowd was beyond elated as the voice behind classics like "Both Sides Now" graced Fort Adams for the first time since an evening appearance there in 1969, in what was her first full-length public concert anywhere since 2000.

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/25/11133517 ... rm=nprnews
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

joni mitchell is the coolest of the cool. totally takes no shit from anyone. tremendously talented.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:47 am joni mitchell is the coolest of the cool. totally takes no shit from anyone. tremendously talented.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Dr. Linux

Post by Dr. Linux »

Amazingly talented. Her stuff with Jaco is my favorite.

-

Got Root?
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

She's playing a hell of a nice guitar though I've never tried a Parker.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Dr. Linux wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:16 am Amazingly talented. Her stuff with Jaco is my favorite.

it's not your average pop star who gets jaco, metheny, lyle mays, michael brecker and don alias to be the backup band. those guys loved playing with her because her compositions were so rich and had so much going on.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Joni Mitchell: Singer to make Grammy debut performance at 80

i wonder what she's gonna sing.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Never could see the appeal. He voice sucks and being in tune is a novelty to her.
Eroder

Post by Eroder »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:09 pm Never could see the appeal. He voice sucks and being in tune is a novelty to her.
I’m sure you’re more of a Ted Nugent/Kid Rock fan…
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Bracket Champion for Eternity

"The injustices on this site know no bounds" - Abe Froman
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Eroder wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:31 am
mlhouse wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:09 pm Never could see the appeal. He voice sucks and being in tune is a novelty to her.
Nope, just not a fan of Joni Mitchell..... Big Yellow Taxi tra la lalala..... do not see the appeal.

Dylan I see the appeal even though the quality of his singing is debatable, although I think Robert Zimmerman's ego lets him know he can do whatever he wants. Almost like they will like it even if I sing it like Dylan so lets see how far I can push it. But the quality of Dylan's song writing is beyond compare. Most of the other "folk anti- Viet Nam" singers of the 60s like Mitchell and Baez sucked. YOu can like them if you want, everyone can have their tastes in music.

And Cat Scratch Fever is solid. Well, I don't know where they come from but they sure do come
I hope they comin' for me
And I don't know how they do it but they sure do it good
I hope they're doin' it for free

Poet laurates search for phrases like that and never come close.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:08 am
Nope, just not a fan of Joni Mitchell..... Big Yellow Taxi tra la lalala..... do not see the appeal.

Dylan I see the appeal even though the quality of his singing is debatable, although I think Robert Zimmerman's ego lets him know he can do whatever he wants. Almost like they will like it even if I sing it like Dylan so lets see how far I can push it. But the quality of Dylan's song writing is beyond compare. Most of the other "folk anti- Viet Nam" singers of the 60s like Mitchell and Baez sucked. YOu can like them if you want, everyone can have their tastes in music.

And Cat Scratch Fever is solid. Well, I don't know where they come from but they sure do come

have you listened to the album court and spark? if not, give that a try. big yellow taxi is a throw away joni song imo.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:03 pm

have you listened to the album court and spark? if not, give that a try. big yellow taxi is a throw away joni song imo.
I think she is basically talentless but because she is, everyone thinks she is a big deal. Its all taste. YOu can love her all you want. I really like the documentary The Last Waltz, but just cringe whenever I see Joni in any of the tunes just to use an example. Everytime I hear her I question the sanity of anyone who likes her, but that is what freedom is all about. Maybe when Big Brother takes over, that is how they will torture me. Instead of rats, it will be Joni Mitchell la la laing in her off key singing.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:07 pm

I think she is basically talentless but because she is, everyone thinks she is a big deal. Its all taste. YOu can love her all you want. I really like the documentary The Last Waltz, but just cringe whenever I see Joni in any of the tunes just to use an example. Everytime I hear her I question the sanity of anyone who likes her, but that is what freedom is all about. Maybe when Big Brother takes over, that is how they will torture me. Instead of rats, it will be Joni Mitchell la la laing in her off key singing.
i asked you if you listened to court and spark. those last waltz songs were from an album later and that is definitely a taste thing. her music was evolving into a jazzier style. not my favorite joni songs--but i can enjoy them. listen to court and spark. it's on youtube. short hand version? car on a hill--but it's best to listen to it from the beginning.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:33 pm
mlhouse wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:07 pm

i asked you if you listened to court and spark. those last waltz songs were from an album later and that is definitely a taste thing. her music was evolving into a jazzier style. not my favorite joni songs--but i can enjoy them. listen to court and spark. it's on youtube. short hand version? car on a hill--but it's best to listen to it from the beginning.
I have listened to Joni Mitchell. I can't stand her. I think she cannot sing. I don't think she can even come close to singing in tune. And I just don't like her song writing. She is just part of that group of "folksy" Viet Nam era "singers" that I think are patently overrated. Joan Baez is another one that I just cannot stand, and it isn't based on politics.

Again, to each their own. Ill listen to Cream, the Yardbirds, John Maysall and the Bluesmakers, Janis, JImmy Hendrix, the Doors all day long. I will run from the room if Joni is singing (probably not literally).
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Joni Mitchell and the Gift of Watching Our Heroes Grow Older
The—as Brandi Carlile put it—“matriarch of imagination” sang “Both Sides, Now” in her first-ever Grammys performance on Sunday night, and it was a moving display of a well-earned long-overdue triumph.

A friend of mine did not watch the Grammy Awards last night; I texted her a play-by-play anyway. But when Joni Mitchell began singing “Both Sides, Now,” I couldn’t seem to conjure up much language to describe it, save for saying “this is devastating as hell”—largely because I was, in fact, crying the whole time. I think there’s a lot of understated privilege, liberation and empowerment in watching some of our greatest artists publicly age on their own terms.

We saw it during the ceremony when Billy Joel—a five-time Grammy winner in his own right—returned to the stage to perform “Turn the Lights Back On,” his first new song in 32 years and one that, had the stars not aligned (and Freddy Wexler, who spent two years encouraging Joel to trust that there was still something brilliant left in the tank), we might never have gotten that moment at all. And, on a night that ended with Taylor Swift breaking the record for most Album of the Year wins, the ceremony belonged to Joni Mitchell at long last—as we watched her, now 80 years old, deliver one of the most hauntingly sincere, patient and bewitching renditions of one of her greatest songs.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/music/jon ... grow-older
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:36 pm Joni Mitchell and the Gift of Watching Our Heroes Grow Older
The—as Brandi Carlile put it—“matriarch of imagination” sang “Both Sides, Now” in her first-ever Grammys performance on Sunday night, and it was a moving display of a well-earned long-overdue triumph.

A friend of mine did not watch the Grammy Awards last night; I texted her a play-by-play anyway. But when Joni Mitchell began singing “Both Sides, Now,” I couldn’t seem to conjure up much language to describe it, save for saying “this is devastating as hell”—largely because I was, in fact, crying the whole time. I think there’s a lot of understated privilege, liberation and empowerment in watching some of our greatest artists publicly age on their own terms.

We saw it during the ceremony when Billy Joel—a five-time Grammy winner in his own right—returned to the stage to perform “Turn the Lights Back On,” his first new song in 32 years and one that, had the stars not aligned (and Freddy Wexler, who spent two years encouraging Joel to trust that there was still something brilliant left in the tank), we might never have gotten that moment at all. And, on a night that ended with Taylor Swift breaking the record for most Album of the Year wins, the ceremony belonged to Joni Mitchell at long last—as we watched her, now 80 years old, deliver one of the most hauntingly sincere, patient and bewitching renditions of one of her greatest songs.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/music/jon ... grow-older
Are these your words Weimy or someone elses? It would be helpful if you added quotes more often so we know if it's you or not. If it WAS you, were you really crying the whole time? I was never a Joni Mitchell fan but appreciated the moment and shame on those who mocked her. Billy Joel's new song got me a little teary eyed......
Last edited by Hornets on Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

lulz.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:42 pmlulz.
:lol:
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

JONI MITCHELL’S ‘COURT AND SPARK’ STILL SMOLDERS AT 50

https://www.popmatters.com/joni-mitchel ... park-atr50
The Lizard King

Post by The Lizard King »

I saw an Americana singer named Taylor Bickett who did a cover of "Both Sides Now" at the Dakota last Wednesday night.

:thumbsup:
"If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first." - KDC
Voltron

Post by Voltron »

Bob Dylan is pretty basic. His music is meant for teenagers and very young adults. Maybe I have your age wrong and you're a lot younger than I assumed.
FOR THE CULTURE!!!!
Spoiler:
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:35 pm JONI MITCHELL’S ‘COURT AND SPARK’ STILL SMOLDERS AT 50

https://www.popmatters.com/joni-mitchel ... park-atr50
All I hear is a singer who is way the fuck out of pitch with a limited vocal range. People like Joni Mitchell for some reason and taste is absolutely subjective. If you like singers with no pitch and limited range then Joni is for you.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Voltron wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:25 pm

Bob Dylan is pretty basic. His music is meant for teenagers and very young adults. Maybe I have your age wrong and you're a lot younger than I assumed.
Dylan can do what Dylan wants to do.

My tastes just don't like Joni Mitchell. I love The Band (speaking of Dylan) and I like a lot of the songs that RIck Danko sings. He isn't the greatest technical singer, but his sound fits so many of their songs like It Makes No Difference.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

The Joni Mitchell album Stevie Nicks listened to for three days straight

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/the-joni-m ... -straight/
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Joni Mitchell’s Court and Spark reviewed – archive, 1974

From being the folksy best friend of anyone who was anything in the West Coast music scene, Joni Mitchell has gradually and unevenly developed into a songwriter of considerable stature. Her sixth and best album to date, Court and Spark (Asylum), is currently the top seller in America, which is mildly surprising: it is both too solemn and too good for that.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2024/ ... iewed-1974