Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Kyle Anderson

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Coach Guy

Re: Kyle Anderson

Post by Coach Guy »

This is Thaddeus Young 2.0. Undersized 4 that can't really shoot just kind of alright at everything.
Jefferson: If the Vikings open the pass game: C+ If the Vikings stubbornly run ball: D
Gladney: We got my 3rd rated corner, along with assets from trading down and the draft board played out perfectly: A (a rare A from me)

-Mlhouse draft grades :clap:
Coach Guy

Post by Coach Guy »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:36 pm Quit collecting mediocre 4's and sign a legit player.
I actually agree. We have way too many equalish players. 4-12 are a bunch of the same. If there is a trade in the works to condense and improve the talent cool. If not I really don't get it. Might as well keep the extra coin for next offseason.
Jefferson: If the Vikings open the pass game: C+ If the Vikings stubbornly run ball: D
Gladney: We got my 3rd rated corner, along with assets from trading down and the draft board played out perfectly: A (a rare A from me)

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:40 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:38 pm this backlash tonight reminds me a lot of the negative vibe that surrounded the prince signing. i think these two guys are cut from the same cloth - team first players who are smart, mesh well, play good D and can get you some baskets.
If there is a "Power move" coming, I have no problem with it.

Going into this season with what they have now, they are just cementing to be a play in team.
rube. i have no idea what you are expecting. look at some of the other teams in the west. you think we're going to snap our fingers and a magic trip to the finals is going to appear? and who is this wonderful "legit PF" you speak of that we need to get? they are putting a team together. it's often a slow process - unless you do crazy batshit stuff like the Nets and then watch it go down the shitter. remember how they were the effing favorites going into last season? that was a house of cards. maybe we're trying to construct something that won't explode into flames in a year.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
shuttlesworth

Post by shuttlesworth »

Tony Bongwater wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:42 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:38 pm this backlash tonight reminds me a lot of the negative vibe that surrounded the prince signing. i think these two guys are cut from the same cloth - team first players who are smart, mesh well, play good D and can get you some baskets.
I low key really like the signing. This team played like they took the short bus to the game way too often last year. You start getting vets like PB, Prince, and now SloMo around the guys, especially in practice every day and at critical times, depending on matchups, maybe we can improve that.

I don't know what people expected. I like the signing. Real interested in what else they do.
100% agree.

I also think this is yet another sign that a D Lo trade is likely coming. Wolves seem to be trying to get trying to move towards an offense built around Ant, putting secondary offensive creators (Anderson, Prince, Wendell Moore, Pat Bev) around him to share some of the offensive load and take the pressure off Ant to create offense every play. If you're trading D Lo, having those dudes would really cushion the blow, since Ant wouldn't be the only perimeter player relied on to create offense. But you don't really need guys like Anderson if you're keeping D Lo - you'd really just want 3&D floor-spacers like Myles Turner.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

shuttlesworth wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:24 pm Kyle Anderson can and should be the Wolves starting 4 next year, assuming no other moves. He rebounded 18.1% of opponent misses last season, in the 97th percentile among forwards and ahead of dudes like Robert Williams, Evan Mobley, John Collins, and Mitchell Robinson.

He also posted a block rate of 1.6% -- in the 91st percentile among forwards and ahead of Steven Adams, Christian Wood, Jonas Valenciunas, and a bunch of other centers.

Perhaps just as importantly, playing Anderson at the 4 allows Minnesota to move up McDaniels to the 3, where McDaniels has a size advantage against most opponents. (This also allows the Wolves to move Edwards to the 2, where he'll have a size advantage most nights.) And it allows this shift without sacrificing a ton of spacing - unlike Vanderbilt, Anderson is at least a credible three-point threat who can also attack close-outs.

Anderson at the 4 should seriously help address the Wolves' defensive rebounding woes.
I like it all but he doesn’t rebound at Vandy’s rate.

You’re losing boards for sure.
Coach Guy

Post by Coach Guy »

shuttlesworth wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:52 pm
Tony Bongwater wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:42 pm
I low key really like the signing. This team played like they took the short bus to the game way too often last year. You start getting vets like PB, Prince, and now SloMo around the guys, especially in practice every day and at critical times, depending on matchups, maybe we can improve that.

I don't know what people expected. I like the signing. Real interested in what else they do.
100% agree.

I also think this is yet another sign that a D Lo trade is likely coming. Wolves seem to be trying to get trying to move towards an offense built around Ant, putting secondary offensive creators (Anderson, Prince, Wendell Moore, Pat Bev) around him to share some of the offensive load and take the pressure off Ant to create offense every play. If you're trading D Lo, having those dudes would really cushion the blow, since Ant wouldn't be the only perimeter player relied on to create offense. But you don't really need guys like Anderson if you're keeping D Lo - you'd really just want 3&D floor-spacers like Myles Turner.
Doubt DLO gets moved without a viable replacement PG. Beasley is the one that will get moved if anyone.

witljon

Post by witljon »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:20 pm really smart player. he'll have the highest bbiq on the team. if he needs to, he can get back on D fast enough - and certainly before Karl does, if Karl continues his love affair with bitching at the refs. most of his SloMo nickname though comes from how he handles the ball and gets to his spots. very deliberate and very unlike the ultra athletic flash that most NBA players favor. but because of his ball handling skills and size, he does get to his spots. very nice midrange game
It almost sounds like you’re describing Luka…
Tony Bongwater

Post by Tony Bongwater »

Yup. I'd like to think the days of watching DLo dribble away 18 seconds then take an off balance fall away 3 are over. Even Ant doesn't doddle with the ball in his hands like that. If anything he's a bit too aggressive. You drop D'lo and add Anderson this becomes a much better balanced offensive attack. And though Kyle isn't the greatest shooter from 3, he's real good from the mid range and knows how to play team defense.

Solid signing that doesn't handicap you next year.
Slava Ukrijina 💙💛🇺🇦💙💛
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

I like that his calling card is that he is slow
j2j

Post by j2j »

As Chuck Barkley said, the Wolves are the dumbest team in the league. Targetting high IQ players is a good thing.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
boo

Post by boo »

I like it. Mostly because I hate watching a team I root for playing against that guy.

Very rare free agent signing that will matter for the wolves.
shuttlesworth

Post by shuttlesworth »

thinktank wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:57 pm
shuttlesworth wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:24 pm Kyle Anderson can and should be the Wolves starting 4 next year, assuming no other moves. He rebounded 18.1% of opponent misses last season, in the 97th percentile among forwards and ahead of dudes like Robert Williams, Evan Mobley, John Collins, and Mitchell Robinson.

He also posted a block rate of 1.6% -- in the 91st percentile among forwards and ahead of Steven Adams, Christian Wood, Jonas Valenciunas, and a bunch of other centers.

Perhaps just as importantly, playing Anderson at the 4 allows Minnesota to move up McDaniels to the 3, where McDaniels has a size advantage against most opponents. (This also allows the Wolves to move Edwards to the 2, where he'll have a size advantage most nights.) And it allows this shift without sacrificing a ton of spacing - unlike Vanderbilt, Anderson is at least a credible three-point threat who can also attack close-outs.

Anderson at the 4 should seriously help address the Wolves' defensive rebounding woes.

You're right, Vanderbilt is a better rebounder than Anderson (around 20% defensive rebound rate). But Vando can't stay on the floor because teams entirely ignore him when the Wolves are on offense. And the player that replaced Vando last year was Jaden McDaniels, a poor rebounder (10% DRR) who can't hang with most 4s. That's where Anderson's value as a rebounder comes in - he can justify his existence on offense while rebounding at a solid clip on defense (and letting McDaniels shift to the 3).
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

witljon wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:59 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:20 pm really smart player. he'll have the highest bbiq on the team. if he needs to, he can get back on D fast enough - and certainly before Karl does, if Karl continues his love affair with bitching at the refs. most of his SloMo nickname though comes from how he handles the ball and gets to his spots. very deliberate and very unlike the ultra athletic flash that most NBA players favor. but because of his ball handling skills and size, he does get to his spots. very nice midrange game
It almost sounds like you’re describing Luka…
they play the same kind of heady game. luka is just much better at it and bitches a lot more. but really, i am wondering what i missed during the memphis series. anderson made a lot of good winning plays for his squad - and comparing him to vandy, they are like opposites. anderson often had the ball up at the top of the key initiating plays - or backing his guy down into the paint to get a shot off - all the while posing zero security risk with the ball for the grizzlies. he's got really good, confident handles. this is like the direct antithesis of vandy's game. to me, it'll be a nice partnership. give anderson 27 mins a night and vandy 21. we'll still get plenty of the vandy hustle/rebounds benefit - but slomo will have a whole different skill set. plus, it'll get vandy working most of his minutes against the opposing bench, not starters.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

boo wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:22 pm I like it. Mostly because I hate watching a team I root for playing against that guy.

Very rare free agent signing that will matter for the wolves.
That was my thought: “Oh, this is gonna be like them signing Mark Madsen in ‘03.”
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

shuttlesworth wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:23 pm

You're right, Vanderbilt is a better rebounder than Anderson (around 20% defensive rebound rate). But Vando can't stay on the floor because teams entirely ignore him when the Wolves are on offense. And the player that replaced Vando last year was Jaden McDaniels, a poor rebounder (10% DRR) who can't hang with most 4s. That's where Anderson's value as a rebounder comes in - he can justify his existence on offense while rebounding at a solid clip on defense (and letting McDaniels shift to the 3).
that's a great point. i hope people don't think our rebounding answer at the 4 is jaden. it isn't. he's a great guy to develop and be our starting 3, but until he puts on more muscle, he's overmatched nightly banging for boards against stronger 4s.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Kyle Anderson is like Boris diaw

Not exciting but a good player
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

DLO
Randy Foye
Kyle Anderson
????
Gorgui Dieng
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

here's a thought for explaining anderson's rpg. maybe, just maybe, he's a throwback player who actually does stuff like BOX OUT. and often the guy who does the boxing out, doesn't get the board - but he's done the work to help his team secure the ball.
shuttlesworth

Post by shuttlesworth »

bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:30 pm DLO
Randy Foye
Kyle Anderson
????
Gorgui Dieng
I wanted Randy Foye to be good so bad.
Tony Bongwater

Post by Tony Bongwater »

Nobody's asking the really important question here though. Is his agent THAT Joe Smith?
Slava Ukrijina 💙💛🇺🇦💙💛
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Agree.

So it’s a pretty slight rebounding dip but you gain:

-Better team D / switching
-Heady midrange and finishing game
-Some shot creation
-Some shooting / floor spacing

I have a feeling we’re going to see how a KAT / SLO-mo / DLo lineup fares on D this season.

I just don’t see another PG move out there. Brogdon? Meh. He’s better than DLo but older and you have to pay for longer.
j2j

Post by j2j »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:29 pm Kyle Anderson is like Boris diaw

Not exciting but a good player
That's a nice comparison.

SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

shuttlesworth wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:33 pm
Randy Foye
Kyle Anderson
????
Gorgui Dieng
His heart was on the wrong side of his chest!
shuttlesworth

Post by shuttlesworth »

thinktank wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:35 pm

Agree.

So it’s a pretty slight rebounding dip but you gain:

-Better team D / switching
-Heady midrange and finishing game
-Some shot creation
-Some shooting / floor spacing

I have a feeling we’re going to see how a KAT / SLO-mo / DLo lineup fares on D this season.

I just don’t see another PG move out there. Brogdon? Meh. He’s better than DLo but older and you have to pay for longer.
Agree on D Lo. I think the Wolves try to move him but I don't think there's a market there or a trade that really makes sense.

Maybe the Wolves could try something like D Lo/Beasley/picks for Brogdon and Turner. But my guess is that Indiana would demand 2+ first rounders with light protections, and I don't see the Wolves doing that.
j2j

Post by j2j »

SHAFA wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:41 pm
Randy Foye
Kyle Anderson
????
Gorgui Dieng
His heart just wasn't in the right place.
FTFY

shuttlesworth

Post by shuttlesworth »

FWIW, RealGM trade boards (populated by NBA fans of all teams) are universally praising the signing:

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewto ... &t=2209066
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

j2j wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:43 pm
SHAFA wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:41 pm

His heart just wasn't in the right place.
FTFY
Yeah, that works better.
Tony Bongwater

Post by Tony Bongwater »

Grizzlies fans already talking shit. Ya love to see it. :lol:
Slava Ukrijina 💙💛🇺🇦💙💛
witljon

Post by witljon »

Tony Bongwater wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:34 pm Nobody's asking the really important question here though. Is his agent THAT Joe Smith?
I was too embarrassed to ask it. :oops:
Tony Bongwater

Post by Tony Bongwater »

witljon wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:53 pm
Tony Bongwater wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:34 pm Nobody's asking the really important question here though. Is his agent THAT Joe Smith?
I was too embarrassed to ask it. :oops:
I looked around.... I think it is. That or the two guys have very similar bald head shapes, wrinkle lines and eyebrows.
Slava Ukrijina 💙💛🇺🇦💙💛