Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2022-2023 season thread

Home for Gopher Basketball
Hornets

Re: 2022-2023 season thread

Post by Hornets »

feekdogg wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:02 pm Moral victory!
:lol:
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

I’m shocked that BoobTube is full of negativity. It’s just completely out of character.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Ooof. Carrington already out. Both Garcia and Payne won't play tonight vs. the Hoosiers. Effin' ouch for Coach Johnson.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

feekdogg wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:20 pm Ooof. Carrington already out. Both Garcia and Payne won't play tonight vs. the Hoosiers. Effin' ouch for Coach Johnson.
Why?
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

ForCaleb wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:24 pm
feekdogg wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:20 pm Ooof. Carrington already out. Both Garcia and Payne won't play tonight vs. the Hoosiers. Effin' ouch for Coach Johnson.
Why?
Garcia hurt his ankle at the end of the Michigan game, Payne is in concussion protocol.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

They almost had em last night. Solid effort on both sides of the ball. Moral victories
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

No moral victory last night. Yet another embarrassing effort.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Next season can't get here soon enough. So many injured players out, so little talent from what remains.
Let's get Tropical
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Bad news bears
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

I realize they're both having good seasons, but getting your doors blown off at NW and at Rutgers really makes a bad situation look even worse. Guard play is effing terrible and Carr, Mashburn and Kalschuer are out there dropping 15-20 points a night. I don't think he's the savior that some do, but I wonder if Ben would be in serious danger of being gone if he missed out on Evans.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

feekdogg wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:12 am I realize they're both having good seasons, but getting your doors blown off at NW and at Rutgers really makes a bad situation look even worse. Guard play is effing terrible and Carr, Mashburn and Kalschuer are out there dropping 15-20 points a night. I don't think he's the savior that some do, but I wonder if Ben would be in serious danger of being gone if he missed out on Evans.
Only one of those guys was staying if Pitino even stayed (Mashburn). I don't think about them much... and no, if Ben didn't have Evans in the bag I think he's still safe next year. I think he safely has the next two years. If things aren't improving next year and the year after he's probably job searching.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:15 am
feekdogg wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:12 am I realize they're both having good seasons, but getting your doors blown off at NW and at Rutgers really makes a bad situation look even worse. Guard play is effing terrible and Carr, Mashburn and Kalschuer are out there dropping 15-20 points a night. I don't think he's the savior that some do, but I wonder if Ben would be in serious danger of being gone if he missed out on Evans.
Only one of those guys was staying if Pitino even stayed (Mashburn). I don't think about them much... and no, if Ben didn't have Evans in the bag I think he's still safe next year. I think he safely has the next two years. If things aren't improving next year and the year after he's probably job searching.
He gets one more year and then all bets are off IMHO.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

They aren't currently ranked 351 in team free throw percentage. There's 352 teams in Division 1. Battle's a streaky shooter. And he's about the only guy on the team I'd trust to knock down a 10-15 foot shot with any sort of consistency. Seems like the focus has been more geared toward recruiting athletes who happen to play basketball over good basketball players.
The Real Ted

Post by The Real Ted »

A good showing for the Gophers tonight. They played Maryland tough, and they’re only down by 42 points.

And there’s still over 3 minutes left to play, so there’s still a chance for them to win.

But even if they don’t, this will be a strong moral victory for the Gophers.
Falen's Boyfriend

Post by Falen's Boyfriend »

The Real Ted wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:45 pm A good showing for the Gophers tonight. They played Maryland tough, and they’re only down by 42 points.

And there’s still over 3 minutes left to play, so there’s still a chance for them to win.

Yep. Might want to extend Ben Johnson's contract before other programs come calling.
The Real Ted

Post by The Real Ted »

Falen's Boyfriend wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:00 pm
The Real Ted wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:45 pm A good showing for the Gophers tonight. They played Maryland tough, and they’re only down by 42 points.

Yep. Might want to extend Ben Johnson's contract before other programs come calling.
I agree!

There’s a lot of positives to take from this game.

One of the main ones… is that I’m considering enrolling as a student at the U of M… because I want to help be part of the solution in getting more wins!

Because after watching that game… I think I could help out the basketball team…. because I’m fucking a lot better…

(wait… I mean…)

I think I could help out by playing one of the guard positions on that team, I think I could work hard to help get more wins!
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

And here's the deal, Ben is desperately hoping those 4 star recruits coming next year will save the day. I assume they are talented lads but both of them look really skinny and I imagine they'll need a couple of years to really contribute. Will Ben be given a 2 year leash if next year is really bad?
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Can't get beat tomorrow, game rescheduled due to covid cases at UM. OK, then.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

feekdogg wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:06 pm Can't get beat tomorrow, game rescheduled due to covid cases at UM. OK, then.
Pretty convenient...wonder if Ben orchestrated this?!
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

They barely had enough healthy players to begin with. The punishment side, they now will have 4 games in 7 days coming up.
Let's get Tropical
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hornets wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:43 am And here's the deal, Ben is desperately hoping those 4 star recruits coming next year will save the day. I assume they are talented lads but both of them look really skinny and I imagine they'll need a couple of years to really contribute. Will Ben be given a 2 year leash if next year is really bad?
Hey, be fair to Dennis Evans who is a 5 star... one of the highest recruits this program has ever landed!

I'm pretty confident this program will turn it around in the next couple of years. They had Isaac Asuma (top 150 pg from northern minnesota) in for an official visit soon. I would expect a commitment, he was between Iowa St and MN and Iowa St just landed someone else.

I was reading on Gophers Illustrated this morning about someone who watched Cam Christie recently too... said he should start at guard next year, he's better than anyone else we have. I'd be shocked if Ben wasn't the coach starting the 24-25 season. If they stink next year and 24-25 then who knows.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:32 am
Hornets wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:43 am And here's the deal, Ben is desperately hoping those 4 star recruits coming next year will save the day. I assume they are talented lads but both of them look really skinny and I imagine they'll need a couple of years to really contribute. Will Ben be given a 2 year leash if next year is really bad?
Hey, be fair to Dennis Evans who is a 5 star... one of the highest recruits this program has ever landed!

I'm pretty confident this program will turn it around in the next couple of years. They had Isaac Asuma (top 150 pg from northern minnesota) in for an official visit soon. I would expect a commitment, he was between Iowa St and MN and Iowa St just landed someone else.

I was reading on Gophers Illustrated this morning about someone who watched Cam Christie recently too... said he should start at guard next year, he's better than anyone else we have. I'd be shocked if Ben wasn't the coach starting the 24-25 season. If they stink next year and 24-25 then who knows.
Asuma is a top 150? Is that a typo? Top 150 doesn't really excite me that much!
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Hornets wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:29 pm

There are well over 100 Div I programs Munger, meaning he'd be 1st or 2nd in line at most of them.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Slap Shot wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:37 pm

There are well over 100 Div I programs Munger, meaning he'd be 1st or 2nd in line at most of them.
So apparently you're excited by this...

#lowstandards
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Star rankings/ratings are stupid. Half the time, the guy rating the player hasn't even heard of them, they're just piggybacking on how someone else evaluates them.

Asuma is good. And he fills a massive void on this roster, a point guard who can facilitate, handle and score.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Hornets wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:22 am
Slap Shot wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:37 pm

So apparently you're excited by this...

#lowstandards
Stick to hockey, Munger.
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by cmd24 »

Asuma has all the tools to be really freaking good. I've watched him in person three times and he's been better each time. And that's against high level talent in this state.
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

cmd24 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:19 am

Asuma has all the tools to be really freaking good. I've watched him in person three times and he's been better each time. And that's against high level talent in this state.
Yeah, he is really good. Ben has needed a pg badly and missed on a lot of targets since he took the job. This will be a good get... when he commits.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Not sure you can get more picky on a pg... outside of a big who can do everything, isn't this the most coveted position?
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Pardon me if I want to wait and see.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard the old “Great class coming”. We have the recruit thread to go back and look at. From Coffey to Oturu to Jelly Fam to Kalscher, it’s always ends up underwhelming.

All I can do is judge what has happened so far and we are almost two years in the books and currently 5-27 in B10 play, the attendance is as low as ever and this team is unwatchable right now. They better get something figured out fast. No more excuses. Getting this thing to .500 for a couple years and a bubble team and then sucking for another year or two isn’t going to cut it either, that’s exactly what we had here before.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master