Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2022-2023 season thread

Home for Gopher Basketball
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: 2022-2023 season thread

Post by RubeTube »

Bob Wiley wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:21 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:18 pm
Bob Wiley wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:07 pm

Who do you want?
Why even entertain that? No point in looking now, he’s not going anywhere anytime soon. We know how the U of M works. He will be here until that buyout is super low.

Everyday from here on out they wait to replace him is just wasted time until the inevitable. He should probably be replaced after this year but whatever on giving him next year. The problem is they will probably still give him year #4 even with another bad performance next year.
I’ll take that as, “I have no idea, I just want to bitch about the gophers right now.”
Like I said, what’s the point of looking at coaching candidates they are not hiring anyone anytime soon.

Unlike some here, my fantasies of what I want don’t play in to reality.

Also, I don’t even know who would be interested in this job. I doubt it had a high level of interest before Ben was hired and that was some of the homers argument. It’s going to be even less desirable after this experiment is over.

So let me ask you this…. Why don’t you tell me what you’re loving about this staff so far, Bob? What are the things you are seeing that you really like?
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Ben isn't going anywhere until after next season, at the absolute earliest.
Let's get Tropical
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

jffl_commish wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:52 pm Ben isn't going anywhere until after next season, at the absolute earliest.
And like The Tube said, after adding what is likely to be another terrible season, who's going to want this job? I'm convinced Craig Smith or Niko Medved would have loved the job two years ago, but they don't have the cash to pull Smith after getting the Utah job.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

feekdogg wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:03 pm
jffl_commish wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:52 pm Ben isn't going anywhere until after next season, at the absolute earliest.
And like The Tube said, after adding what is likely to be another terrible season, who's going to want this job? I'm convinced Craig Smith or Niko Medved would have loved the job two years ago, but they don't have the cash to pull Smith after getting the Utah job.
Dusty Rychart or Rick Rickert might be available.
Let's get Tropical
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:30 pm

Why even entertain that? No point in looking now, he’s not going anywhere anytime soon. We know how the U of M works. He will be here until that buyout is super low.

Everyday from here on out they wait to replace him is just wasted time until the inevitable. He should probably be replaced after this year but whatever on giving him next year. The problem is they will probably still give him year #4 even with another bad performance next year.
I’ll take that as, “I have no idea, I just want to bitch about the gophers right now.”
Like I said, what’s the point of looking at coaching candidates they are not hiring anyone anytime soon.

Also, I don’t even know who would be interested in this job. I doubt it had a high level of interest before Ben was hired and that was some of the homers argument. It’s going to be even less desirable after this experiment is over.

So let me ask you this…. Why don’t you tell me what you’re loving about this staff so far, Bob? What are the things you are seeing that you really like?
There are only a couple of guys that are at a Big10 level. Battle and Garcia are nothing special, and they are our best guys! Mr. Basketball, Carrington, is NOT ready to start. Payne and Ola-Joseph look like they will be good…

Coaching isn’t nearly as important as players.

Ben is fine. He needs to find players though.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Bob Wiley wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:09 am

There are only a couple of guys that are at a Big10 level. Battle and Garcia are nothing special, and they are our best guys! Mr. Basketball, Carrington, is NOT ready to start. Payne and Ola-Joseph look like they will be good…

Ben is fine? Based on what, exactly? The roster construction is 100% on him. This isn't the place for on-the-job training. This is on Coyle and company for hiring a guy who's never been a head coach at any level (and who interviewed for the HC job at Montana State, but they chose someone else). He's going to finish dead last in conference after finishing 14th last season (and I'd put down a pile of money that they're last next year as well).
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

feekdogg wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:05 am

Ben is fine? Based on what, exactly? The roster construction is 100% on him. This isn't the place for on-the-job training. This is on Coyle and company for hiring a guy who's never been a head coach at any level (and who interviewed for the HC job at Montana State, but they chose someone else). He's going to finish dead last in conference after finishing 14th last season (and I'd put down a pile of money that they're last next year as well).
This roster is pretty bad, but its not THAT bad. I think BJ deserves some criticism here.

The PG situation is abysmal
Payne has shown as a freshman that he's going to be a good 4-year B10 starter
Battle is streaky
Garcia is solid
Henly has some raw talent, needs A LOT of work

I felt like last year they kept games close and wanted to play hard for BJ, but this year it looks like they've just checked out.

They're the slowest running offense in D1 and averaging 4 fast break attempts a game (last).
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

ForCaleb wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:23 am

This roster is pretty bad, but its not THAT bad. I think BJ deserves some criticism here.

Battle is streaky
Garcia is solid

I felt like last year they kept games close and wanted to play hard for BJ, but this year it looks like they've just checked out.

They're the slowest running offense in D1 and averaging 4 fast break attempts a game (last).
I wouldn't get too attached to Henley.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

feekdogg wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:37 am
ForCaleb wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:23 am

Battle is streaky
Garcia is solid

I wouldn't get too attached to Henley.
Oh heavens no. His shot looks awful, but in a high tempo offense I think he would be serviceable.....but that's not this team.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Hiring Ben was a colossal mistake. Letting him coach another year would be ridiculous....he wasn't ready for this, not even close.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Hornets wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:46 pm Hiring Ben was a colossal mistake. Letting him coach another year would be ridiculous....he wasn't ready for this, not even close.
You'll get no argument from anyone sane. But, the problem is so much deeper than that. First, they have a women's coach who's been almost as bad, and who still has her job. I imagine there would be all kinds of shouting from the squeaky wheels about not giving Ben a fair chance when the women's coach got at least 4 years.

The second problem is the bigger one. It'll cost them about 8 million to fire Ben. Not sure how the hell someone with no HC experience and no other HC offers at that point was able to get a significant buyout in their contract, but that's another huge strike against empty suit Marky Coyle. The Barn is empty, it's going to be worse next year. And they have no big-time boosters to write the check. The basketball program is in bad shape, even if you turn a blind eye to the garbage product on the floor.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

feekdogg wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:09 am
Hornets wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:46 pm Hiring Ben was a colossal mistake. Letting him coach another year would be ridiculous....he wasn't ready for this, not even close.
You'll get no argument from anyone sane. But, the problem is so much deeper than that. First, they have a women's coach who's been almost as bad, and who still has her job. I imagine there would be all kinds of shouting from the squeaky wheels about not giving Ben a fair chance when the women's coach got at least 4 years.

The second problem is the bigger one. It'll cost them about 8 million to fire Ben. Not sure how the hell someone with no HC experience and no other HC offers at that point was able to get a significant buyout in their contract, but that's another huge strike against empty suit Marky Coyle. The Barn is empty, it's going to be worse next year. And they have no big-time boosters to write the check. The basketball program is in bad shape, even if you turn a blind eye to the garbage product on the floor.
And it's going to get worse...I won't be surprised if that other top recruit bails out and even a freshman or two from this years program. This is going into a free fall REAL fast Dawg!
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Hurry, get 'em before they're gone!
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

feekdogg wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:32 am Image

Hurry, get 'em before they're gone!
:lol:
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Bob Wiley wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:07 pm

Who do you want?

That's just his default that gets applied to everything.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Lindsey's season is over. 11-19. Zero tournament appearances after 5 seasons. Is this the worst shape the collective mens & womens programs have ever been in?
Let's get Tropical
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Hornets wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:21 am
feekdogg wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:09 am

And it's going to get worse...I won't be surprised if that other top recruit bails out and even a freshman or two from this years program. This is going into a free fall REAL fast Dawg!
It's already at the bottom Gus...
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

jffl_commish wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:10 pm Lindsey's season is over. 11-19. Zero tournament appearances after 5 seasons. Is this the worst shape the collective mens & womens programs have ever been in?
Yeah. Women's hoops have only been around since the 70s. When the Women have been awful in the past (Cheryl Littlejohn and Linda Hill-McDonald), the men were going on nice tourney runs during those seasons. Borton/Stallings were decent enough when Pitino hit bottom.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Nobody saw it, but the Gophers just came back from 10 points down in the final 90 seconds to beat Buttgers with a Battle 3 at the horn.

Good for them.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

The refs are trying really hard to make the Gophers lose this one. ridiculous replay review
Let's get Tropical
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

They got 1!!
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

This is ridiculous. It has to be over 5 minutes by now. Maybe pushing 10.
Let's get Tropical
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

That took 13 minutes. WTAF???
Let's get Tropical
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

What channel is this thrilla on?
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Hornets wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:25 pm What channel is this thrilla on?
FS1. I tuned in after the shot, watching the refs try hard to fuck the Gophers over. No one can really say they weren't.
Let's get Tropical
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

I'm shocked they didn't get screwed.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

I can’t believe I turned it off with ten minutes to play!!!
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

These teams are terrible. Gophers blowing this big time though with bad shots and zero defense.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

8 million to fire Ben now. 4 million next year. Is there enough losses in ticket/concession revenue where it makes more financial sense to can him now?
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

Well, looks like we might win at least 1 game in the B10 tourney.