Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***OFFICIAL B1G TOURNAMENT THREAD*** RUTGERS Vs. GOPHERS

A place to discuss Gopher Spots
feekdogg

Re: ***OFFICIAL B1G TOURNAMENT THREAD*** RUTGERS Vs. GOPHERS

Post by feekdogg »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:41 am
feekdogg wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:49 pm During a typical year, I watch 4 or 5 NCAA hoops games every week. This year, I've watched maybe 7 or 8 games all year that didn't involve the Gophers. I'm so jaded and just don't care. This year sucked as a fan, but the real kicker is it made me so bitter that I just don't care like I normally do. March Madness has been my Christmas since I was about 10 years old. It blows not to give a shit.
I hate to tell you but what in the last 20 years has made you think the Gophers program is going to do anything different? Seriously... that's on you if you can't enjoy March Madness because the home town team blew it.
It's been a long, long time since anything was expected of this team.
It's on me for getting my hopes up. I effed up by expecting them to not only be in the tourney, but make a deep run. I clearly should have known better.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:00 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:15 am
feekdogg wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:19 pm Thank Christ that's over.
Pitino officially on the hot seat now that this season is over. His buyout will go down to 2.7 after next year so reality is they have to produce next year or else. Tubby got six years, made the tournament three times and got ran out because he stopped recruiting. Pitino continues to recruit well but is not producing the results needed.

Curry/Stockman
Murphy/Oturu/Fitzgerald
Coffey/Hurt/Omersa
McBrayer/Kalscheur/Harris
Washington

Current depth chart for next year... they could benefit from Fitzgerald moving on, then add a grad transfer point guard as well as another younger big. The 2019 class hopefully will have Tyrell Terry at point and Zeke Nnaji from Hopkins. 2020 class is loaded locally too but Suggs ain't coming here under Pitino IMO. He's Duke bound.
1500 (Forget who was on) saying Pitino hasn't recruited near as well as some think. They said he has found a few nice core players and virtually nothing else(no depth).

Ruesse than said it was obvious Mike Hurt was brought in to try and get his brother. Said he has no business playing in the B1G.

The team coming next year doesn't do much for me. I hope I'm wrong. The depth is still really weak, I'm not big on McBrayer. Unless Oturu is all world, I see a very mediocre team.

Ruesse also said something about best PG since Bobby Jackson and backing off the recruiting of former Louisville players because it's risky with all his dad's scandal. Don't really know what he was talking about. Teh "Pump" was getting a Filet O Fish during this part of the show.
Reusse's credibility is shot when it comes to Gophers sports, you seriously go there to get your take on it? Do you follow Ryan James at all.. he's been involved with the program for over 20 years... that's the most informed mind you're going to have on the topic... it's also why he's behind a paywall with 247 to get his coverage. Pitino hasn't recruited near as well as some think?

Current top 150 players:
Amir Coffey (top 50)
Daniel Oturu (top 50)
Washington (top 60)
Murphy (top 150)
McBrayer (top 150)
Kevin Dorsey (top 100)
Jarvis Omersa (top 150)
Eric Curry (top 150)

Hurt was in the top 150 at a point, Jarvis Johnson was a former 4 star, end up as a 3. Kalscheur might be top 150 on scout/247.

Konate/Diedhiou were train wrecks. I don't have much faith that Stockman will be better than Konate but he's a one year deal and he's 7'2. He'll back up Eric Curry at center.

Recruiting is not the problem, coaching/developing appears to be a much bigger issue.

The Gophers still have an open scholarship and Doogie/Ryan James are hinting there will be another spot available, all signs are pointing to Fitzgerald grad transferring somewhere else. So with two spots to potentially fill, there's more to come this spring for next year's roster.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

feekdogg wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:48 am
HeHateMe wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:41 am
feekdogg wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:49 pm During a typical year, I watch 4 or 5 NCAA hoops games every week. This year, I've watched maybe 7 or 8 games all year that didn't involve the Gophers. I'm so jaded and just don't care. This year sucked as a fan, but the real kicker is it made me so bitter that I just don't care like I normally do. March Madness has been my Christmas since I was about 10 years old. It blows not to give a shit.
I hate to tell you but what in the last 20 years has made you think the Gophers program is going to do anything different? Seriously... that's on you if you can't enjoy March Madness because the home town team blew it.
It's been a long, long time since anything was expected of this team.
It's on me for getting my hopes up. I effed up by expecting them to not only be in the tourney, but make a deep run. I clearly should have known better.
Well no one predicts Curry out, Coffey out, Lynch out, McBrayer in a walking boot all year, etc...

Two years ago was so difficult to watch because Konate/Diedhiou had to play and actually do something.. it came back around this year too... it does look like Konate slightly improved in the last two years but not enough to be a consistent big ten player.

This year's roster was supposed to be:

Mason/Washington
McBrayer
Coffey/Hurt
Murphy/Fitzgerald
Lynch/Curry

Konate maybe plays 5-10 minutes a night, Diedhiou/Harris wouldn't have played at all.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:49 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:00 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:15 am

Pitino officially on the hot seat now that this season is over. His buyout will go down to 2.7 after next year so reality is they have to produce next year or else. Tubby got six years, made the tournament three times and got ran out because he stopped recruiting. Pitino continues to recruit well but is not producing the results needed.

Curry/Stockman
Murphy/Oturu/Fitzgerald
Coffey/Hurt/Omersa
McBrayer/Kalscheur/Harris
Washington

Current depth chart for next year... they could benefit from Fitzgerald moving on, then add a grad transfer point guard as well as another younger big. The 2019 class hopefully will have Tyrell Terry at point and Zeke Nnaji from Hopkins. 2020 class is loaded locally too but Suggs ain't coming here under Pitino IMO. He's Duke bound.
1500 (Forget who was on) saying Pitino hasn't recruited near as well as some think. They said he has found a few nice core players and virtually nothing else(no depth).

Ruesse than said it was obvious Mike Hurt was brought in to try and get his brother. Said he has no business playing in the B1G.

The team coming next year doesn't do much for me. I hope I'm wrong. The depth is still really weak, I'm not big on McBrayer. Unless Oturu is all world, I see a very mediocre team.

Ruesse also said something about best PG since Bobby Jackson and backing off the recruiting of former Louisville players because it's risky with all his dad's scandal. Don't really know what he was talking about. Teh "Pump" was getting a Filet O Fish during this part of the show.
Reusse's credibility is shot when it comes to Gophers sports, you seriously go there to get your take on it? Do you follow Ryan James at all.. he's been involved with the program for over 20 years... that's the most informed mind you're going to have on the topic... it's also why he's behind a paywall with 247 to get his coverage. Pitino hasn't recruited near as well as some think?

Current top 150 players:
Amir Coffey (top 50)
Daniel Oturu (top 50)
Washington (top 60)
Murphy (top 150)
McBrayer (top 150)
Kevin Dorsey (top 100)
Jarvis Omersa (top 150)
Eric Curry (top 150)

Hurt was in the top 150 at a point, Jarvis Johnson was a former 4 star, end up as a 3. Kalscheur might be top 150 on scout/247.

Konate/Diedhiou were train wrecks. I don't have much faith that Stockman will be better than Konate but he's a one year deal and he's 7'2. He'll back up Eric Curry at center.

Recruiting is not the problem, coaching/developing appears to be a much bigger issue.

The Gophers still have an open scholarship and Doogie/Ryan James are hinting there will be another spot available, all signs are pointing to Fitzgerald grad transferring somewhere else. So with two spots to potentially fill, there's more to come this spring for next year's roster.

The rankings look good but how good are some of these guy's actually.

Hurt is terrible

Dorsey sucked/sucks

Mcbrayer is serviceable

This one won't be popular with you but Coffey has been a disappointment to me. He's a good player I'm not saying he's not but for all the hype, meh. He still has time to turn it on though. The jury is still out on the other guy's.

Maybe this staff sucks at coqching up the talent too. No clue. But I don't give a shit anymore about "He's a top 60". It's about results.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

It is about results! But as you know, the better players you recruit, the better program you have. I think the ratings usually say something when you compare them across the boards... doesn't mean they are guaranteed to pan out. Nate Mason wasn't ever a top 150 guy but he certainly played like it!

Coffey a disappointment? Hmm... it's hard to judge based on how this whole year went, he certainly had better games last year than any this year off the top of my head. How long was the shoulder bothering him though? He needs to get better at penetrating, I think he's doing everything else fairly well but when he tries to go to the hoop, it doesn't always look so pretty.

You didn't answer my question on Ryan James... who do you follow in the media for Gophers coverage? Who is this guy on 1500 espn? Keep in mind, yesterday Jon Krawcynzki filling in for Dan Barreiro had no clue Jordan Murphy was a junior. He thought Mason and him were graduating...
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:45 pm It is about results! But as you know, the better players you recruit, the better program you have. I think the ratings usually say something when you compare them across the boards... doesn't mean they are guaranteed to pan out. Nate Mason wasn't ever a top 150 guy but he certainly played like it!

Coffey a disappointment? Hmm... it's hard to judge based on how this whole year went, he certainly had better games last year than any this year off the top of my head. How long was the shoulder bothering him though? He needs to get better at penetrating, I think he's doing everything else fairly well but when he tries to go to the hoop, it doesn't always look so pretty.

You didn't answer my question on Ryan James... who do you follow in the media for Gophers coverage? Who is this guy on 1500 espn? Keep in mind, yesterday Jon Krawcynzki filling in for Dan Barreiro had no clue Jordan Murphy was a junior. He thought Mason and him were graduating...
I just expected Coffey to be a all time great with all the hype. Maybe I expected too much but for me right now, he's still really good but not quite as good as I thought. Murphy is already going down as a all time for me. The last guy I can say that about is Mbakwe and Vincent Grier before that.

AP sports guy blows. There isn't too many in the media i follow. I like the old timers that I grew up watching on the sports show. Sid, Ruesse, Dark etc. Ya I know Ruesse is a bag of hot air but he's fun to listen to. I'll check that guh out that you say. I usually am more into reading gopherhole and fan forums of various teams i want info about and seeing what the fans feeling are more so than media members.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bombers3shooter

Post by bombers3shooter »

Don't think there is anyway Rutgers can sustain this hotstreak with all the long 2's, but when Corey Sanders is on he sure is fun to watch! Up 3 on Purdue at the half!
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

bombers3shooter wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:05 pm Don't think there is anyway Rutgers can sustain this hotstreak with all the long 2's, but when Corey Sanders is on he sure is fun to watch! Up 3 on Purdue at the half!
Yep. I wanted to bet on Rutgers last game against Indiana. Be fun if they won it all.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bombers3shooter

Post by bombers3shooter »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:10 pm
bombers3shooter wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:05 pm Don't think there is anyway Rutgers can sustain this hotstreak with all the long 2's, but when Corey Sanders is on he sure is fun to watch! Up 3 on Purdue at the half!
Yep. I wanted to bet on Rutgers last game against Indiana. Be fun if they won it all.
First time a 14 seed has won a game in the B10 tournament and now they are working on their 3rd! Rutgers is my alma mater so this has been extra fun! Really like coach Pikel! Gio Baker is a true freshman that can stroke ot too! Their D is suffocating but they usually are quite offensively challenged. Turn the ball over too much and don't shoot good free throws, but the effort is always there.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

bombers3shooter wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:39 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:10 pm
First time a 14 seed has won a game in the B10 tournament and now they are working on their 3rd! Rutgers is my alma mater so this has been extra fun! Really like coach Pikel! Gio Baker is a true freshman that can stroke ot too! Their D is suffocating but they usually are quite offensively challenged. Turn the ball over too much and don't shoot good free throws, but the effort is always there.
Pikel gets fired up! :thumbsup:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Great job by Rutgers. Penn St makes it to the final 4. Ohio St is a mirage.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master