Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Path of improvement?

A place to discuss the MN Wild
Gordonbombay

Path of improvement?

Post by Gordonbombay »

So now that the Blues crapped on us and made us their little bitches. What do we do now? No cap room, tough decisions coming, is there actually a chance this team could be better next year or have they peaked?
Small Hands

Re: Path of improvement?

Post by Small Hands »

Gordonbombay wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:53 pm So now that the Blues crapped on us and made us their little bitches. What do we do now? No cap room, tough decisions coming, is there actually a chance this team could be better next year or have they peaked?
It was a one year window that slammed shut.
Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Kenneth Noisewater »

Wonder how much the Fiala discussion changes. Dude disappeared in the playoffs.
I got you Abe.
Gordonbombay

Post by Gordonbombay »

Small Hands wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:24 pm
Gordonbombay wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:53 pm So now that the Blues crapped on us and made us their little bitches. What do we do now? No cap room, tough decisions coming, is there actually a chance this team could be better next year or have they peaked?
I somewhat feel that way... I think this is a playoff team next year but we could be looking at a 7-8 seed. Im tired of being average and making the playoffs looked at as a success. Do we dare blow it up and ask for a kings ransom for Kaprizov?
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Gordonbombay wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:08 pm
I somewhat feel that way... I think this is a playoff team next year but we could be looking at a 7-8 seed. Im tired of being average and making the playoffs looked at as a success. Do we dare blow it up and ask for a kings ransom for Kaprizov?
Dumba and Fiala are likely gone. You’re probably right about the 7-8 seed.

Zero percent chance they trade the Russian
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

Small Hands wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:42 pm

I think they keep one or the other.
No way they trade Kap - he's a one-man season ticket campaign.

There's a path to staying relevant for a few years (at least 2) and coming out of the dark days with a tidy $15M to spend on a star and a superstar.

Next year:
Kap Hartman Zucc -- $16.7M
Greenway Ek Foligno -- 11.3M
Fiala Rossi Boldy -- 9.3M ($7.5 for Fiala?)
Gaudreau Jost Dewar/other -- 4.3M
41.6M

Spurg Middleton(RFA) 9.6M (Middleton 2M?)
Brodin Addison -- 6.9
Merrill Goligoski -- 3.2M
19.7M

Talbot, journeyman -- 5.0M

Total:
66.3M
12.7M dead cap (fuck off Suter!)
79.0M
Projected cap: $82.5M

Don't love the D, would need to trade Kulikov, Dumba. The Dumba trade will be tough- who has $6M of cap space for middlin d-man?
The next year gets tough when Boldy gets a new deal and 2 more million come off the cap. Have to trade Zucc then. (maybe this year if you can get a true prospect for him, but who has cap room?)
Ketchup can be nuancy
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

SO much to consider this off season and I'll try to give my best opinion on what should happen. I don't completely understand the ability or not of trading Dumba or Fiala so if my ideas are impossible I ask for forgiveness!

1) The Dumba/Fiala question. Many seem to think it's a one or the other issue. A week or so ago I thought NO WAY can we consider trading Fiala. I now would be ok with it IF we are able to trade him for significant value. I'm not even sure we can trade him but if so I test the waters and see who is buying high. Kevin has now had 2 very meh playoff performances in a row and if the going price is 7-8 million a year I say PASS. The Psycho of course despises Dumba but there is no doubt when he is healthy he is a solid D. Makes some spectacular offensive plays and can deliver a bone jarring hit when needed. Problem now is he might be experiencing a chronic shoulder issue and that is a HUGE red flag. My guess is he was at 70% or less these playoffs and with Spurg around and Calen Addison ready for regular NHL duty the time might be right to bid farewell.

2) Greenway....try to sell high on this underperformer and hope he doesn't turn into what we hoped he would here.

3) Zucarrello. REALLY tough call here. Obviously he and Kirill work fantastic together, but Mats will be 35 at the start of next year and if you can find a taker now you move him. I'd like to see Rossi and Kirill together next season and they could be a huge part of this franchise together for years to come. Mats had a less than stellar playoffs and I am souring on him despite how much I like watching him play!

4) Hartman. Ryan was for sure the benefactor of playin with Kirill and Mats. Erickson Ek was unable to handle the opportunity of playing with those two and Hartman played well enough to stay with them most of the year. In reality Hartman is a solid 3rd or 4th line center, not a 1 or 2. Great contract though so he's not going anywhere.

5) Boldy. Wild desperately need Boldy to continue to get better and hope that he will become a perennial 30+ goal scorer. I will be VERY angry if he is included in any trade this off season. Kid just needs to get stronger and then WATCH OUT!

6) Gaudreau. Went back and forth on Freddie this year. Overall he exceeded my expectations but he to disappeared in the playoffs. If he needs to be included in any trade scenario I'd have zero problem with it.

7) Spurg and Brodin. Both these guys are solid but certainly not spectacular. Spurge's contract is outrageous and I've thought that from the minute he signed it....he is not worth anywhere near 7+ million, not even close. It's almost as bad a contract as Zach and Ryan. If there is anyway to trade him for decent value you jump at it. Brodin's contract is closer to being reasonable than Spurg and I love watching him play, but I always end up feeling like he should be giving us more. Guy is a world class skater who has decent offensive skills and needs to use those skills more. Not untouchable so trade him for value if you can.

8) All the other D. Trade any of the remaining D if it makes sense and can save some cap space. They are all expendable...

9) Foligno. Make him the captain...period. Good value contract and he definitely overachieved offensively this year with 20+ goals and I'd expect him to drop back into the mid teens next season, but the guy is a warrior.

10) Fourth line fellow are a dime a dozen. Really couldn't care less if any of the 4th liners get moved somewhere else.

11) Goaltending. Ugh....what to do. Well, imo the MAF era is OVAH and no way whatsoever do I want a 38 year old goalie on my roster next season. Let Cam handle #1 duties and hope that Wallstedt is ready by the 2023-24 season.

12) Will someone PLEASE fix the damn power play and penalty kill? Whoever is in charge of those units should not have a job next year as that was the number 1 cause of this series debacle.

13) Kirill Kaprizov. When you have a top 5 or so talent you HAVE to take advantage of it. KK has 4 years left on his deal and it is imperative that during the next 4 years he feels good about the organization. Kid played his azz off this series and the majority of the remaining squad pooped their pants and did not help him. If Guerin is not able to somehow add support for KK there is no way he is here after the contract is ovah. The salary cap issue will make that extremely difficult but BG has to figure it out.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Martyball

Post by Martyball »

Ask Not wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:35 pm
Small Hands wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:42 pm

I think they keep one or the other.
No way they trade Kap - he's a one-man season ticket campaign.

There's a path to staying relevant for a few years (at least 2) and coming out of the dark days with a tidy $15M to spend on a star and a superstar.

Next year:
Kap Hartman Zucc -- $16.7M
Greenway Ek Foligno -- 11.3M
Fiala Rossi Boldy -- 9.3M ($7.5 for Fiala?)
Gaudreau Jost Dewar/other -- 4.3M
41.6M

Spurg Middleton(RFA) 9.6M (Middleton 2M?)
Brodin Addison -- 6.9
Merrill Goligoski -- 3.2M
19.7M

Talbot, journeyman -- 5.0M

Total:
66.3M
12.7M dead cap (fuck off Suter!)
79.0M
Projected cap: $82.5M

Don't love the D, would need to trade Kulikov, Dumba. The Dumba trade will be tough- who has $6M of cap space for middlin d-man?
The next year gets tough when Boldy gets a new deal and 2 more million come off the cap. Have to trade Zucc then. (maybe this year if you can get a true prospect for him, but who has cap room?)
So I was looking at some of the Free Agents. UFA and RFA. I looked at what an offers sheet costs for an RFA. Basically, if a team signs a player to an OS, the team can match the offer. If they don't match it, they get a draft pick.

Tony DeAngelo is only making $1 million. He is an RFA. If the Wild were to sign him to an Offer sheet up to $4.1 million, It would cost a 2nd round pick. Wild have to give up their own 2nd, But do have Arizona's 2nd. I don't think Carolina matches a $3-$4 million dollar OS. 26 years old and is playing great.

I'd trade Dumba and Spurgeon. That frees up over $13 milion. And the Wild have $5.8 million as of right now.

I'm so pissed Billy kept Dumba and let Soucy go. Make a trade with Sea and get Carson back.

I am on the fence with Fiala. If a team signs Fiala to a huge offer sheet, The Wild would get a boatload of draft picks.

I think if they let Fiala go, they should try and go after a front line Center for the Kap, Zucci line. It's a pipe dream. And I know it's next to impossible. But Philp Forseberg is a UFA. He is a perfect fit with Kap and Zucci.

Kap/Flip/Zucci

Boldy/Freddy/Hartman

Greef

Dewer/Jost/Dehaumie

Brodin/DeAngelo

Middleton/ Merrill

Kulikov/Addison
Martyball

Post by Martyball »

Hornets wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:58 pm SO much to consider this off season and I'll try to give my best opinion on what should happen. I don't completely understand the ability or not of trading Dumba or Fiala so if my ideas are impossible I ask for forgiveness!

1) The Dumba/Fiala question. Many seem to think it's a one or the other issue. A week or so ago I thought NO WAY can we consider trading Fiala. I now would be ok with it IF we are able to trade him for significant value. I'm not even sure we can trade him but if so I test the waters and see who is buying high. Kevin has now had 2 very meh playoff performances in a row and if the going price is 7-8 million a year I say PASS. The Psycho of course despises Dumba but there is no doubt when he is healthy he is a solid D. Makes some spectacular offensive plays and can deliver a bone jarring hit when needed. Problem now is he might be experiencing a chronic shoulder issue and that is a HUGE red flag. My guess is he was at 70% or less these playoffs and with Spurg around and Calen Addison ready for regular NHL duty the time might be right to bid farewell.

2) Greenway....try to sell high on this underperformer and hope he doesn't turn into what we hoped he would here.

3) Zucarrello. REALLY tough call here. Obviously he and Kirill work fantastic together, but Mats will be 35 at the start of next year and if you can find a taker now you move him. I'd like to see Rossi and Kirill together next season and they could be a huge part of this franchise together for years to come. Mats had a less than stellar playoffs and I am souring on him despite how much I like watching him play!

4) Hartman. Ryan was for sure the benefactor of playin with Kirill and Mats. Erickson Ek was unable to handle the opportunity of playing with those two and Hartman played well enough to stay with them most of the year. In reality Hartman is a solid 3rd or 4th line center, not a 1 or 2. Great contract though so he's not going anywhere.

5) Boldy. Wild desperately need Boldy to continue to get better and hope that he will become a perennial 30+ goal scorer. I will be VERY angry if he is included in any trade this off season. Kid just needs to get stronger and then WATCH OUT!

6) Gaudreau. Went back and forth on Freddie this year. Overall he exceeded my expectations but he to disappeared in the playoffs. If he needs to be included in any trade scenario I'd have zero problem with it.

7) Spurg and Brodin. Both these guys are solid but certainly not spectacular. Spurge's contract is outrageous and I've thought that from the minute he signed it....he is not worth anywhere near 7+ million, not even close. It's almost as bad a contract as Zach and Ryan. If there is anyway to trade him for decent value you jump at it. Brodin's contract is closer to being reasonable than Spurg and I love watching him play, but I always end up feeling like he should be giving us more. Guy is a world class skater who has decent offensive skills and needs to use those skills more. Not untouchable so trade him for value if you can.

8) All the other D. Trade any of the remaining D if it makes sense and can save some cap space. They are all expendable...

9) Foligno. Make him the captain...period. Good value contract and he definitely overachieved offensively this year with 20+ goals and I'd expect him to drop back into the mid teens next season, but the guy is a warrior.

10) Fourth line fellow are a dime a dozen. Really couldn't care less if any of the 4th liners get moved somewhere else.

11) Goaltending. Ugh....what to do. Well, imo the MAF era is OVAH and no way whatsoever do I want a 38 year old goalie on my roster next season. Let Cam handle #1 duties and hope that Wallstedt is ready by the 2023-24 season.

12) Will someone PLEASE fix the damn power play and penalty kill? Whoever is in charge of those units should not have a job next year as that was the number 1 cause of this series debacle.

13) Kirill Kaprizov. When you have a top 5 or so talent you HAVE to take advantage of it. KK has 4 years left on his deal and it is imperative that during the next 4 years he feels good about the organization. Kid played his azz off this series and the majority of the remaining squad pooped their pants and did not help him. If Guerin is not able to somehow add support for KK there is no way he is here after the contract is ovah. The salary cap issue will make that extremely difficult but BG has to figure it out.
No way they can trade Zucci. He and Kap are like brothers.

Middleton is a nice surprise and needs to be signed long term going forward. They have to find another Middleton. I am a huge fan of DeAngelo. He is 26 and very good.

I am on the fence with Fiala. I think it might end up being draft picks for Fiala. And anything over a $4.1 mil offer sheet is a 1st and a 3rd. If it's over $8.2 million, It's a 1st,2nd and a 3rd.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

The Psycho I like Zucarrello as well, but his age REALLY concerns me. When KK's contract ends in 4 years Mats will be almost 39 years old. Maybe he has another year or two of great play in him, but he's not going to be around for the next contract KK hopefully signs so that's why I'm ok if they could deal him for value and save some cap space.

Middleton did ok but I'm not gushing over him and certainly not overpaying for him.

Gotta admit I know nothing of this DeAngelo fellow you mentioned....what's the scoop on him?
Martyball

Post by Martyball »

Hornets wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:29 pm The Psycho I like Zucarrello as well, but his age REALLY concerns me. When KK's contract ends in 4 years Mats will be almost 39 years old. Maybe he has another year or two of great play in him, but he's not going to be around for the next contract KK hopefully signs so that's why I'm ok if they could deal him for value and save some cap space.

Middleton did ok but I'm not gushing over him and certainly not overpaying for him.

Gotta admit I know nothing of this DeAngelo fellow you mentioned....what's the scoop on him?
Watch game 7 tomorrow Canes and Bruins. DeAngelo might be the MVP of this series IMO. He is under the Bruins plsayrs skin. And the Bruins fan skin. To the point they boo him like the Preds used to boo Suter. And Bruins fas were chanting "Fuck you Tony" :lol:

He is on the Canes PP and was traded for at the trade deadline.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

The Psycho wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:43 pm
Hornets wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:29 pm The Psycho I like Zucarrello as well, but his age REALLY concerns me. When KK's contract ends in 4 years Mats will be almost 39 years old. Maybe he has another year or two of great play in him, but he's not going to be around for the next contract KK hopefully signs so that's why I'm ok if they could deal him for value and save some cap space.

Watch game 7 tomorrow Canes and Bruins. DeAngelo might be the MVP of this series IMO. He is under the Bruins plsayrs skin. And the Bruins fan skin. To the point they boo him like the Preds used to boo Suter. And Bruins fas were chanting "Fuck you Tony" :lol:

He is on the Canes PP and was traded for at the trade deadline.
Oh, I thought you were saying he was a guy that played in Iowa! As much as I am bummed that our Wild have been eliminated I will be watching the playoffs whenever possible. Always some awesome games as the pursuit for Lord Stanley heats up!!
Keith_Morrison

Post by Keith_Morrison »

Kenneth Noisewater wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:28 pm Wonder how much the Fiala discussion changes. Dude disappeared in the playoffs.
Million dollar question, right cheer.
Kenneth Noisewater

The focus should be to convince Kaprizov that we can be a perennial contender in 3 years when the Parise/Suter contracts are off the books. Bring up Rossi next year, Wallstedt in 2.

I’m starting to think that trading Fiala wouldn’t be the worst thing ever. Dude is inconsistent and his value may never be higher. Get a couple more Russian speaking guys on the squad too
I got you Abe.
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

I trust they do the right thing and extend Fleury at 3 years, $5M / year.

No way you keep Talbot.
My body, my choice.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:35 pm I trust they do the right thing and extend Fleury at 3 years, $5M / year.

No way you keep Talbot.
I would not be disappointed if our top goalie next year was not named Fleury or Talbot.

I know we don't have a ton of resources to chase top goalies, but neither of them gave me confidence that they can carry a team through a deep run or steal a game or two in the post-season. Neither are young either.

What's the farm team look like at the position, anyone got the deep puck knowledge on that?
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Fleury isn't worth more than 2 mill/year at this point. I'll be shocked and disappointed if they re-sign him.
Kenneth Noisewater

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:43 pm
LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:35 pm I trust they do the right thing and extend Fleury at 3 years, $5M / year.

No way you keep Talbot.
I would not be disappointed if our top goalie next year was not named Fleury or Talbot.

I know we don't have a ton of resources to chase top goalies, but neither of them gave me confidence that they can carry a team through a deep run or steal a game or two in the post-season. Neither are young either.

What's the farm team look like at the position, anyone got the deep puck knowledge on that?
I don’t claim deep knowledge but we drafted one of the better goalie prospects in recent memory last year…a Swede named Jesper Wallstedt. He’s 19 and probably not NHL ready yet.

I think Fleury is gone and Talbot will be the guy next year as he is under contract. Beyond that I’m sure they’ll take a hard look at young Jesper.
I got you Abe.
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

I sorta nix-nayed the importance of special teams after game 1--where we probably outplayed them when we were even strength. To use a football analogy, it's sorta like giving up a kickoff return TD, a punt return TD, and a pick 6 but saying hey, we outgained them 476 yards to 294. Who cares when the scoreboard says you lose by 17.

So, this question is for the real puckheads--are there any specific power play coaches/gurus--say the way Bill Callahan is to offensive lines? If so, I would go out and try to find that guy. It's beyond me why a team with this much firepower should be bottom half of the league on the PP.

As far as moving forward, I'm still trying to keep Fiala, even with his (second) disappointing playoff series. He's a volume/streaky scorer. Unfortunately, he picked a helluva time to go cold. The question is it just a small sample size? Or is he just one of those players who simply tighten up, press, choke, etc... during big situations? I dunno... But I do know that he was a monster down the stretch when those games clearly mattered, too.

I'd take it a step farther. Even if it means taking a step backwards for the next 2 years, I'm doing whatever I can to keep Thrill, Fiala, Ek, Boldy, and Brodin together with the hopes of being that team 3 or 4 years from now laden with very good to great players in their late 20s (early 30s for Brodin). And we should still at least be a playoff team during the next 2 years of 'cap hell' with the talent still on the roster.

All-in-all, a very, very disappointing end to this season. I really thought we were going to be St. Louis, even though the end result should've very predictable.
Martyball

Post by Martyball »

Reading some rumors about a potential Fiala trade. Ottawa is rumored to be interested in Fiala. And it seems as it Fiala is worth a 1st round pick and more. Sens pick 7th overall.

Look at this kid from Russia. Danila Yurov. They say he can play center, but better at wing. He's not ready for the NHL, but some call him the best prospect in the draft.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2022-nhl-draf ... nila-Yurov

Also, the Sens have a Center named Ridley Grieg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHCetCLrBRI

If the Wild could send Fiala to Ottawa for 7th overall, Grieg, another prospect and a later pick for Fiala and #27th overall.

The McBain trade is Vancouver's 2nd rounder.
Stu Pedaso

Post by Stu Pedaso »

Kirill has been out for six games and Boldy has 10 points in those six games. (6 goals 4 assists).

I hope it makes the team stronger when he comes back.

Seeing a lot of nice depth when having 3 or 4 good players out.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Stu Pedaso wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:34 am Kirill has been out for six games and Boldy has 10 points in those six games. (6 goals 4 assists).

If they go back to the exact lines after KK comes back the coaching has to come into question if the results drop. I'm not trying to play arm-chair QB but how do you lose your best player, see some of their recent results and not question if their line combos pre-injury needed tweaking?
SirJmon

Post by SirJmon »

Path of improvement….kick all Minnesota sports out of the state. They will never succeed here.
ForCaleb wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:51 pm I’m a self admitted hack.
Gordonbombay

Post by Gordonbombay »

SirJmon wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:27 pm Path of improvement….kick all Minnesota sports out of the state. They will never succeed here.
Great take. You sir are an elite sports minds
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

Stu Pedaso wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:34 am Kirill has been out for six games and Boldy has 10 points in those six games. (6 goals 4 assists).

That didn't work out.
My body, my choice.
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

Angry Waters wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:08 am I sorta nix-nayed the importance of special teams after game 1--where we probably outplayed them when we were even strength. To use a football analogy, it's sorta like giving up a kickoff return TD, a punt return TD, and a pick 6 but saying hey, we outgained them 476 yards to 294. Who cares when the scoreboard says you lose by 17.

So, this question is for the real puckheads--are there any specific power play coaches/gurus--say the way Bill Callahan is to offensive lines? If so, I would go out and try to find that guy. It's beyond me why a team with this much firepower should be bottom half of the league on the PP.

As far as moving forward, I'm still trying to keep Fiala, even with his (second) disappointing playoff series. He's a volume/streaky scorer. Unfortunately, he picked a helluva time to go cold. The question is it just a small sample size? Or is he just one of those players who simply tighten up, press, choke, etc... during big situations? I dunno... But I do know that he was a monster down the stretch when those games clearly mattered, too.

I'd take it a step farther. Even if it means taking a step backwards for the next 2 years, I'm doing whatever I can to keep Thrill, Fiala, Ek, Boldy, and Brodin together with the hopes of being that team 3 or 4 years from now laden with very good to great players in their late 20s (early 30s for Brodin). And we should still at least be a playoff team during the next 2 years of 'cap hell' with the talent still on the roster.

All-in-all, a very, very disappointing end to this season. I really thought we were going to be St. Louis, even though the end result should've very predictable.
Take out the Fiala part... Exact same thing can be posted today. Grate
My body, my choice.
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:03 am
Angry Waters wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:08 am I sorta nix-nayed the importance of special teams after game 1--where we probably outplayed them when we were even strength. To use a football analogy, it's sorta like giving up a kickoff return TD, a punt return TD, and a pick 6 but saying hey, we outgained them 476 yards to 294. Who cares when the scoreboard says you lose by 17.

You went back a year ago to find this. That took some effort. Kudos. And you're right. Losing ALL these series in the first round is beyond frustrating. Especially when you're either the favorite or have taken a series advantage, as is the case in the past 2 years. We agree on this.

Where we don't agree on is a path forward--even though the current one has been a dead-end for how long. Regardless of this past playoff series, I view Thrill as a top 5-10 player in the NHL. He's what you're HOPING for if you crater to land a top draft pick.

Neither one of us is wrong and neither is right, because each is 'un-provable'. If we don't have a cup (or at least a few serious runs) in the next 10 years, you can easily say, "I told you so." If we stay the course and win one (or make some runs) I can say the same thing.

On a side note is coaching. I really like Dean Evason. Maybe more for the person, so to speak. I DO think coaching changes can have huge impacts. I don't like impulsive changes, per se. But if there is some top-end coach available with Cup credibility, I wouldn't object to a change. I used to be a huge NBA fan. I knew there were guys that could build a team and get them to a certain level. But, that was it. And then you'd have to find someone who could come in close the door. The obvious example would be Phil Jackson. Maybe the Wild are at a point where they need that extra push?
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

Angry Waters wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:31 am

You went back a year ago to find this. That took some effort. Kudos. And you're right. Losing ALL these series in the first round is beyond frustrating. Especially when you're either the favorite or have taken a series advantage, as is the case in the past 2 years. We agree on this.

Where we don't agree on is a path forward--even though the current one has been a dead-end for how long. Regardless of this past playoff series, I view Thrill as a top 5-10 player in the NHL. He's what you're HOPING for if you crater to land a top draft pick.

Neither one of us is wrong and neither is right, because each is 'un-provable'. If we don't have a cup (or at least a few serious runs) in the next 10 years, you can easily say, "I told you so." If we stay the course and win one (or make some runs) I can say the same thing.

On a side note is coaching. I really like Dean Evason. Maybe more for the person, so to speak. I DO think coaching changes can have huge impacts. I don't like impulsive changes, per se. But if there is some top-end coach available with Cup credibility, I wouldn't object to a change. I used to be a huge NBA fan. I knew there were guys that could build a team and get them to a certain level. But, that was it. And then you'd have to find someone who could come in close the door. The obvious example would be Phil Jackson. Maybe the Wild are at a point where they need that extra push?
Go up a couple of posts, someone else bumped it.

I can't take the credit.

I just thought it was telling that you could post the exact same thing for this year.

As for Kaprizov, I'm a bit tongue in cheek when I say you have to trade him.

But, if somebody offered you the farm for him, knowing that you've lost seven straight playoff series, you are either going to hang your hat on Ek being the missing piece, and hope he can get you over the first round playoff loss hump, or you are hoping a coaching change can get you over that first round hump, or, you are simply going to continue to languish.
My body, my choice.
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:35 am

I can't take the credit.

I just thought it was telling that you could post the exact same thing for this year.

But, if somebody offered you the farm for him, knowing that you've lost seven straight playoff series, you are either going to hang your hat on Ek being the missing piece, and hope he can get you over the first round playoff loss hump, or you are hoping a coaching change can get you over that first round hump, or, you are simply going to continue to languish.
At the end of the day, I guess you really have the 'conch shell'. This shit sucks, no doubt. I don't have much to add except that I just don't want them doing anything stupid and drastic, simply out of desperation. I believe that we can agree on.
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

Angry Waters wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:45 am
LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:35 am

I can't take the credit.

At the end of the day, I guess you really have the 'conch shell'. This shit sucks, no doubt. I don't have much to add except that I just don't want them doing anything stupid and drastic, simply out of desperation. I believe that we can agree on.
100%. Some players you trade them just to trade them and get them out of your system. Kaprizov isn't one of them.

But if someone offered you a king's ransom, you also can't say he's 100% untouchable.
My body, my choice.