Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Path of improvement?

A place to discuss the MN Wild
salamander

Re: Path of improvement?

Post by salamander »

Gordonbombay wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:08 pm
Small Hands wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:24 pm
Gordonbombay wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:53 pm So now that the Blues crapped on us and made us their little bitches. What do we do now? No cap room, tough decisions coming, is there actually a chance this team could be better next year or have they peaked?
It was a one year window that slammed shut.
I somewhat feel that way... I think this is a playoff team next year but we could be looking at a 7-8 seed. Im tired of being average and making the playoffs looked at as a success. Do we dare blow it up and ask for a kings ransom for Kaprizov?
Can't do it. It took way too long to find a legit star and I want to at least try and win with said star.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Big Head

Post by Big Head »

Drunk wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:11 pm Blow the whole thing up and start over.
Not doing that you drunk!
Atrain99

Post by Atrain99 »

Looks like the Kings are trading for Pierre-Luc Dubois. Says block buster. 2 names revealed. Gabe Vilardi and Alex Iafallo. Probably the Kings first. PMD is signing an 8 year deal. 24 year old big centerman. Western Conference just keeps getting tougher.
Atrain99

Post by Atrain99 »

Taylor Hall and Nick Folino going to the Blackhawks for Ian Mitchell and Alex Regula. Boston dumping salary in hopes to sign Bertuzzi and Hathaway.

Bedard and Hall on their top line?

Also, Dubois is in LA negoting a contract with Kings management. Rumored to be 5 years 7.5 mil per. That's a Steal! Wild could've traded Gus, Folino and Gologoski to create cap space. Gus to the Jets plus a pick and 2 prospects for PLD.

Man I hope Bill doesn't eat up the little cap space he has resigning Gus.

Adin Hill signed a 2 year deal with Vegas for $4.9 mil per.
DMB

Post by DMB »

psychopath wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:04 pm Taylor Hall and Nick Folino going to the Blackhawks for Ian Mitchell and Alex Regula. Boston dumping salary in hopes to sign Bertuzzi and Hathaway.

Also, Dubois is in LA negoting a contract with Kings management. Rumored to be 5 years 7.5 mil per. That's a Steal! Wild could've traded Gus, Folino and Gologoski to create cap space. Gus to the Jets plus a pick and 2 prospects for PLD.

They have to eat up the remaining cap space to sign Gus-no choice. If they go the 1 year arbitration route still going to eat it up. I'd rather go 3 years ~3mil/per and have some overlap with Wallstadt. Wild are in cap hell the next 2 years and there's nothing they can do about it-looks like they're timing a cup run for 3-5 years from now and be in contention for a long time.
Semper Fi
Axl

Post by Axl »

And in 2 years when the Wild are finally out from the Parise/Suter contracts it'll be time to re-sign Kaprizov. So there goes most of that money.
DMB

Post by DMB »

Axl wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:52 pm And in 2 years when the Wild are finally out from the Parise/Suter contracts it'll be time to re-sign Kaprizov. So there goes most of that money.
Pretty much true-Suter/Parise buyouts go from 14+million to 1.6 million in 2025/26 and beyond.

I think Spurgeon has the worst contract on the team.
Semper Fi
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

DMB wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:34 pm
Axl wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:52 pm And in 2 years when the Wild are finally out from the Parise/Suter contracts it'll be time to re-sign Kaprizov. So there goes most of that money.
Pretty much true-Suter/Parise buyouts go from 14+million to 1.6 million in 2025/26 and beyond.

It's certainly not a good one but at least Spurg does contribute for periods of time. Zach and Ryan do not...
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
DMB

Post by DMB »

Hornets wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:06 pm

It's certainly not a good one but at least Spurg does contribute for periods of time. Zach and Ryan do not...
My biggest beef with Spurgeon is his diminutive size-especially for a blue liner-and he doesn't seem to have the playoff gear on top of getting routinely ragdolled.
Semper Fi
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

DMB wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:42 am

My biggest beef with Spurgeon is his diminutive size-especially for a blue liner-and he doesn't seem to have the playoff gear on top of getting routinely ragdolled.
He does as good as he can defensively due to his hockey sense and quick feet, but yes, come playoff time more often than not he gets manhandled and it's particularly noticeable during PP's when he is incapable of moving anyone from in front of the net.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Anxious to see what Billy G can pull off tonight!
DMB

Post by DMB »

Hornets wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:52 am
DMB wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:42 am

He does as good as he can defensively due to his hockey sense and quick feet, but yes, come playoff time more often than not he gets manhandled and it's particularly noticeable during PP's when he is incapable of moving anyone from in front of the net.

Playoffs are especially bad becuase the whistles get put away.
Semper Fi
Atrain99

Post by Atrain99 »

DMB wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:54 am
psychopath wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:04 pm Taylor Hall and Nick Folino going to the Blackhawks for Ian Mitchell and Alex Regula. Boston dumping salary in hopes to sign Bertuzzi and Hathaway.

They have to eat up the remaining cap space to sign Gus-no choice. If they go the 1 year arbitration route still going to eat it up. I'd rather go 3 years ~3mil/per and have some overlap with Wallstadt. Wild are in cap hell the next 2 years and there's nothing they can do about it-looks like they're timing a cup run for 3-5 years from now and be in contention for a long time.
It's the same as the Fiala situation. There's no way Gus is settling for 3ish million. Adin Hill just got 2 years @ $4.9 million. Gus' agent knows his value. Bill should trade him and use the trade as fire power to move up in tonight's draft.

I heard a Wild rumor. Probably just a writer saying it. But I found it very interesting.

Erikson Ek and the 21st pick to Columbus for the 3rd pick. I'd do that. Frees up cap space. Gets a blue chip player.

The Russian Matvei Michkov, RW, Ska St. Petersburg would be great opposite Kaprizov. He might slide to 10 or so. I have a sneaky feeling Bill is up to something. He has the picks and prospects to move up.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

psychopath wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:50 am

It's the same as the Fiala situation. There's no way Gus is settling for 3ish million. Adin Hill just got 2 years @ $4.9 million. Gus' agent knows his value. Bill should trade him and use the trade as fire power to move up in tonight's draft.

I heard a Wild rumor. Probably just a writer saying it. But I found it very interesting.

Erikson Ek and the 21st pick to Columbus for the 3rd pick. I'd do that. Frees up cap space. Gets a blue chip player.

The Russian Matvei Michkov, RW, Ska St. Petersburg would be great opposite Kaprizov. He might slide to 10 or so. I have a sneaky feeling Bill is up to something. He has the picks and prospects to move up.
Interesting.....I'd be ok with Billy making a signature move like that and if the Wild really feel Walstadt will be THE guy in a year or two I agree that they absolutely should not overpay for Gus.
DMB

Post by DMB »

Not sure Gus has tons of leverage with minimal games played etc. We'll see. I like him and he wants to be here-be nice to have him for 3 years with Teh Wall.

The Wild have had a ton of high draft picks the last few years and prospect pool is deep-and they have 3 picks in first 60 or whatever. They don't really need any more draft picks. Moving Ek would be an interesting move although he's the only legit Center they have just entering his prime and getting better every year on a decent contract. Replace his name with Spurgeon and let's go.
Semper Fi
Atrain99

Post by Atrain99 »

DMB wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:51 pm

Not sure Gus has tons of leverage with minimal games played etc. We'll see. I like him and he wants to be here-be nice to have him for 3 years with Teh Wall.

The Wild have had a ton of high draft picks the last few years and prospect pool is deep-and they have 3 picks in first 60 or whatever. They don't really need any more draft picks. Moving Ek would be an interesting move although he's the only legit Center they have just entering his prime and getting better every year on a decent contract. Replace his name with Spurgeon and let's go.
So it's being reported that O'l Billy Boy is only offering $3.6 million for 1 year or $4 million per over 3 years. Yet Adin Hill just got $4.9 million per for 2 years. And hill is 2 years older. Gus' agent isn't going to let him sign for less. There is no hometown discount Bill. You should've traded him before the draft.

I hate when GM's ego gets in the way of helping the team. Bill is Rick Spielman 2.0. He created this mess. He should've traded Suter and Parasie and ate half of the contracts.
DMB

Post by DMB »

psychopath wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:39 am
So it's being reported that O'l Billy Boy is only offering $3.6 million for 1 year or $4 million per over 3 years. Yet Adin Hill just got $4.9 million per for 2 years. And hill is 2 years older. Gus' agent isn't going to let him sign for less. There is no hometown discount Bill. You should've traded him before the draft.

I hate when GM's ego gets in the way of helping the team. Bill is Rick Spielman 2.0. He created this mess. He should've traded Suter and Parasie and ate half of the contracts.
Hill has been good for longer, was an UFA, and has cup cred. 3 years at 4mil per is high-I would think they'd jump on that if offered-Wild defensive game tends to make goalies look better it seems like-they could take a step back this year too. We'll see-Worst that can happen is they go to arbitration and hammer out a deal in 3 mill range for 1 year.
Semper Fi
Atrain99

Post by Atrain99 »

DMB wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:11 pm
psychopath wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:39 am

Hill has been good for longer, was an UFA, and has cup cred. 3 years at 4mil per is high-I would think they'd jump on that if offered-Wild defensive game tends to make goalies look better it seems like-they could take a step back this year too. We'll see-Worst that can happen is they go to arbitration and hammer out a deal in 3 mill range for 1 year.
Here's the problem. Gus and Fleury are both adequate goalies. You know why Vegas won this year? Because of great defense and a high powered offense. You know why Colorado won last year? The same formula. Why couldn't Darcy Kemper take the Caps to the playoffs??

Hill isn't that much better. He has played in 20 more games. Put any decent goalie in Vegas and they still win it all.
Hoboloco

Post by Hoboloco »

I saw Billy G got a promotion adding president of hockey ops to his title. Why? What is different between gm and PoHO