Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

**** NBA Insider, ESPN+, The Athletic, News Thread ****

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
UnFadeable21

**** NBA Insider, ESPN+, The Athletic, News Thread ****

Post by UnFadeable21 »

My former thread is over 200 pages and it takes a lot of bandwidth to keep it going so to help this place continue to run smooth, this will be the new nba news thread.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
UnFadeable21

Re: **** NBA Insider, ESPN+, The Athletic, News Thread ****

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Los Angeles Clippers forward Robert Covington has agreed on a two-year, $24 million contract extension, his agent Andrew Morrison of @CAA_Basketball tells ESPN.

Former wolves favorite is resigning with the clips at a pretty respectable high number.

I was interested in bringing Roco at the mid level.

Now do the wolves bring Taurean Prince back? He’s a solid back up vet who can play defense and hit the 3. 6-7 million is his number I am comfortable with.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Asked Taurean Prince how he blocks out the fact that this might be his last game here:

"It is what it is when it comes to that type of time, but I'm not worried about that. Honestly, me personally, I plan to return."

Cited the camaraderie and Finch for why he wants to return.

Prince made 13 last year. Too much for me. I’m comfortable at half that.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

prince would be great to have back. really want him to return - it gives us a very solid rotation at SF between him and jaden. he found his stride mid way thru the year and i'd just expect that to continue now that he knows the lay of the land and his role on the team.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Mnwild1128

Post by Mnwild1128 »

For as little as he played he's worth about 3-4 million. The Jake Layman contract maybe 3 for 9
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:53 pm prince would be great to have back. really want him to return - it gives us a very solid rotation at SF between him and jaden. he found his stride mid way thru the year and i'd just expect that to continue now that he knows the lay of the land and his role on the team.
Loved Prince and it was strange how he didn’t play in game 6.

I know we played McMuffin but you don’t hear a peep about any of the other minutes that were available.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Mnwild1128 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:48 am For as little as he played he's worth about 3-4 million. The Jake Layman contract maybe 3 for 9
he could probably pull more than that elsewhere.

as for not playing in game Six, didn't he miss another game in the series? i think he was dealing with some knee inflammation towards the end of the year, and he may have just had enough of a flare up that it would have hampered his play too much.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Jean Claude Van Damme

Post by Jean Claude Van Damme »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:31 pm My former thread is over 200 pages and it takes a lot of bandwidth to keep it going so to help this place continue to run smooth, this will be the new nba news thread.
Well that's not true. But, no big deal starting a fresh thread if you want. :thumbsup:
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Sixers star Joel Embiid will return for Game 3 vs. Miami tonight, sources tell ESPN. Doc Rivers said he could be limited in minutes, because of minimal conditioning in the past week.

Per Woj

Embiid coming back. Sixers need him
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Extremely solid on both sides of the ball. Also can put it on the deck and score at the rim. Very useful in a likely veteran backup. Probably the most heady defensive player we have. Beverly and Jaden have great ability on that side but don't quite feel and read offenses as well as Taurean.

Always reading the ball, always aware of off ball movement from multiple players, always looking to set up for good charges. The epitome of a quality, level headed, and skilled veteran. Pay that man his money.

Would like to see he and Jaden take basically 90% of the SF minutes. Start Ant in the backcourt.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

YBBR wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:01 pm Extremely solid on both sides of the ball. Also can put it on the deck and score at the rim. Very useful in a likely veteran backup. Probably the most heady defensive player we have. Beverly and Jaden have great ability on that side but don't quite feel and read offenses as well as Taurean.

Always reading the ball, always aware of off ball movement from multiple players, always looking to set up for good charges. The epitome of a quality, level headed, and skilled veteran. Pay that man his money.

Would like to see he and Jaden take basically 90% of the SF minutes. Start Ant in the backcourt.
yup. and move malik for that PF. promote nowell behind Ant at the 2. i get this weird feeling though - maybe based on nothing and i'm misreading it - but there seemed to be so many instances this year where nowell was left out of games (when quite a few rubes were calling for him). and i just read a Strib roster assessment of everyone - pretty surfacey - but on nowell it said "IF he returns". why wouldn't you want nowell to return when it looks like he's most ready to contribute? so... my weird feeling is that there's some sort of bad blood between him and mgmt or maybe finch that isn't been public - and that the brain trust is willing to let him walk. i sure hope not. i have always seen him as a really nice bench combo who could do a lot of good for us.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

I do hope Nowell sticks around. He’s the most multi-faceted guy we’ve got on the bench, and improving on a cheap deal. Letting him walk would be a mistake.
ChrisPaulGeorgeHill

Post by ChrisPaulGeorgeHill »

I think LaVine stays in Chicago at the end of the day.

I can’t see him turning down the significant bump in money if he stays with the Bulls down.

Now if you’re Chicago you pretty much are in a tough spot.

He’s super talented and dynamic offensively, but is injury prone and still isn’t good defensively.

That said, he’s been a major reason why they’re relevant again so I dunno.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

SHAFA wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:42 am I do hope Nowell sticks around. He’s the most multi-faceted guy we’ve got on the bench, and improving on a cheap deal. Letting him walk would be a mistake.
but don't you kind of get the vibe that he's somehow this odd man out - for whatever reason? i really want him back too - there's enough flashes we've seen to think there's something there now.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:36 pm
Asked Taurean Prince how he blocks out the fact that this might be his last game here:

"It is what it is when it comes to that type of time, but I'm not worried about that. Honestly, me personally, I plan to return."

I could see the Wolves presenting him with two contracts. One for something like $10-12 mil for one year, and another for something like 3 years at $7 mil...if thats the case, I think he would be wise to accept the long term contract.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:45 am
YBBR wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:01 pm Extremely solid on both sides of the ball. Also can put it on the deck and score at the rim. Very useful in a likely veteran backup. Probably the most heady defensive player we have. Beverly and Jaden have great ability on that side but don't quite feel and read offenses as well as Taurean.

yup. and move malik for that PF. promote nowell behind Ant at the 2. i get this weird feeling though - maybe based on nothing and i'm misreading it - but there seemed to be so many instances this year where nowell was left out of games (when quite a few rubes were calling for him). and i just read a Strib roster assessment of everyone - pretty surfacey - but on nowell it said "IF he returns". why wouldn't you want nowell to return when it looks like he's most ready to contribute? so... my weird feeling is that there's some sort of bad blood between him and mgmt or maybe finch that isn't been public - and that the brain trust is willing to let him walk. i sure hope not. i have always seen him as a really nice bench combo who could do a lot of good for us.
Nowell has another year left on contract for a shade under $2 mil. I can't see them letting that cheap production go. If there is bad blood between he and the Wolves, I would guess it would be due to how underpaid he is.

Jaylen could be due for a huge year...Malik and Dlo are likely trade bait, and if they don't return, Nowell gets a big increase in minutes, in a contract year.

Off topic of Nowell, I still feel Simmons is a big trade target for the Wolves. Nets might want to retool, rather than see what Irving/Simmon/Durant can be, and DLo as an expiring contract would be huge for a rebuilding team. Also regarding Simmons, I think things with him are overblown. The 76ers did him completely wrong and then tried to say 'sorry' way after all the damage had already been done....regarding him not playing for Brooklyn...he was hurt. He just had surgery. Im on board with trading for Simmons. His trade value is way down, and the potential of receiving a young guy who can help you both at point and PF, with all-NBA type defense seems to good to pass up. There's also been this whole issue about the 'pecking' (No Pekovic) order of the Wolves big 3, well, Simmons is a facilitator, and that opens things up for KAT and ANT to carry a bigger load on offense. A few years ago we were talking about trading the #1 overall pick for him. He's the same player he was then, that he is now, but could probably be had for DLo, and maybe some small sweetener. Way too much upside to potentially be had for cheap to not entertain the idea.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:41 pm
SHAFA wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:42 am I do hope Nowell sticks around. He’s the most multi-faceted guy we’ve got on the bench, and improving on a cheap deal. Letting him walk would be a mistake.
but don't you kind of get the vibe that he's somehow this odd man out - for whatever reason? i really want him back too - there's enough flashes we've seen to think there's something there now.
Sometimes, I guess. But more so I think it’s just a combination of ridiculous depth and other needs. He’s definitely more of a combo guy that looks for shot first, so between McLaughlin playing well as a set-up guy and Beasley’s stretch of throwing bombs from deep, I can understand why Finch says he needs to find time for him but can’t.

If they can reorganize some of the talent to balance things out, I think he absolutely sees a more consistent role next year.

Do they deal Beasley for depth up front? Do they jettison Russell? What are their thoughts on Bolmaro’s development? I’ve got no illusions as to what their plans are or who’d be coming back, but in my head without those two, it’s certainly not as cluttered.

Beverley/McLaughlin
Edwards/Nowell
McDaniels/Prince

Beverley obviously isn’t the long-term solution there, but you get my point.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:08 am

Nowell has another year left on contract for a shade under $2 mil. I can't see them letting that cheap production go. If there is bad blood between he and the Wolves, I would guess it would be due to how underpaid he is.

Jaylen could be due for a huge year...Malik and Dlo are likely trade bait, and if they don't return, Nowell gets a big increase in minutes, in a contract year.

Off topic of Nowell, I still feel Simmons is a big trade target for the Wolves. Nets might want to retool, rather than see what Irving/Simmon/Durant can be, and DLo as an expiring contract would be huge for a rebuilding team. Also regarding Simmons, I think things with him are overblown. The 76ers did him completely wrong and then tried to say 'sorry' way after all the damage had already been done....regarding him not playing for Brooklyn...he was hurt. He just had surgery. Im on board with trading for Simmons. His trade value is way down, and the potential of receiving a young guy who can help you both at point and PF, with all-NBA type defense seems to good to pass up. There's also been this whole issue about the 'pecking' (No Pekovic) order of the Wolves big 3, well, Simmons is a facilitator, and that opens things up for KAT and ANT to carry a bigger load on offense. A few years ago we were talking about trading the #1 overall pick for him. He's the same player he was then, that he is now, but could probably be had for DLo, and maybe some small sweetener. Way too much upside to potentially be had for cheap to not entertain the idea.
you're leaving out some of the unrosier parts of the picture. i do think his "head" took some definite hits this past year and a half, and his confidence isn't nearly what it was. perhaps even a fear of or mental block about getting back on court under the spotlight again. plus back surgery on a player of that size at his young age - that's not a good sign. so my short answer is - No. i don't think he's the same player he was at the start of the 2020-21 season.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Sun May 08, 2022 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisPaulGeorgeHill

Maybe we can call OKC up about Favors?

Although maybe they’ll just hang on to him for his expiring contract? Who knows?
mr mort

Post by mr mort »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:08 am There's also been this whole issue about the 'pecking' (No Pekovic) order of the Wolves big 3, well, Simmons is a facilitator, and that opens things up for KAT and ANT to carry a bigger load on offense.
I believe one of his beefs with the 76ers was that he wanted to be more than just a facilitator. Wants to be utilized like Giannis.

That probably isn’t the case anymore.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

The Sacramento Kings have agreed with Golden State assistant Mike Brown on a four-year contract to become the franchise’s next coach, sources tell ESPN.
ChrisPaulGeorgeHill

Sucks to be a Kings fan.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

ChrisPaulGeorgeHill wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:39 pm Sucks to be a Kings fan.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Mnwild1128

Post by Mnwild1128 »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:08 am

Even IF the nets took DLO to let his contract expire, they are still going to be over the cap by about 8 million. (Assuming Irving signs an extension) They wont be able to outright sign any free agents. The only way they can retool, is through trades.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Denver Nuggets center Nikola Jokic has been voted the NBA’s Most Valuable Player for a second consecutive season, sources tell ESPN. A formal announcement is expected this week.

Via Woj
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Phoenix Suns head coach Monty Williams has won the 2021-22 NBA Coach of the Year award, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. Williams led the franchise to an NBA-best 64-18 record this season.

Via shams
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Both of those were the best choices.
ChrisPaulGeorgeHill

Would anybody be shocked to see Atlanta trade Trae Young this offseason or if not then in the next year or two?

Super talented OFFENSIVE player.

Great shooter.

Had an excellent post season run two seasons ago and then a very poor showing this past post season.

Very small and diminutive. Not a good defender.

Or is Atlanta still 100% committed to building around him?
witljon

Post by witljon »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:03 am
Ant Hater wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:36 pm

I could see the Wolves presenting him with two contracts. One for something like $10-12 mil for one year, and another for something like 3 years at $7 mil...if thats the case, I think he would be wise to accept the long term contract.
His comments above hints at him being comfortable
with the larger one year deal.
witljon

Post by witljon »

ChrisPaulGeorgeHill wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:28 am Would anybody be shocked to see Atlanta trade Trae Young this offseason or if not then in the next year or two?

Super talented OFFENSIVE player.

Great shooter.

Had an excellent post season run two seasons ago and then a very poor showing this past post season.

Very small and diminutive. Not a good defender.

Or is Atlanta still 100% committed to building around him?
I’d be very surprised…..