Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

**** NBA Insider, ESPN+, The Athletic, News Thread ****

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Re: **** NBA Insider, ESPN+, The Athletic, News Thread ****

Post by Ask Not »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:14 pm Thought this was interesting:

First: :lol: LAL…

GS being last shouldn’t be too much of a shock since they’re so much of a jump shooting team and are kind of hacks defensively…. But I was a little surprised.

We’re not getting enough ref love considering how aggressive Edwards is and how much contact Rudy and Towns get. But we’re also a very physical defensive team.
I'm surprised Philly wasn't top-5 from Embiid alone.
Ketchup can be nuancy
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

Ask Not wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:47 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:14 pm Thought this was interesting:

First: :lol: LAL…

GS being last shouldn’t be too much of a shock since they’re so much of a jump shooting team and are kind of hacks defensively…. But I was a little surprised.

We’re not getting enough ref love considering how aggressive Edwards is and how much contact Rudy and Towns get. But we’re also a very physical defensive team.
I'm surprised Philly wasn't top-5 from Embiid alone.
Lakers with a +15 in free throw attempts over the Bucks tonight. Let's see how much they can increase their lead by season's end!
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Not relevant to this year, in all likelihood, but this seems newsworthy.

“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

If this dude did what he is accused of doing, I’m 100% cool with a lifetime ban from the NBA. You can’t do that.

But it would be injustice if it stopped there. Someone either gave him money to influence the bet lines, or some betting firm allowed a player to bet on his own production, or someone conspired with him to place those bets for him.

The investigation and fallout should go beyond just Porter.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Ban him for life if they have proof he did prop bets on himself.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
T_J

Post by T_J »

Hopefully his brother was involved and he gets suspended for the playoffs.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Prop bets are the big issue. Too many ways to have it happen without getting caught. Too many opportunities when bets are made on single player performance. Ban that.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

pretty funny seeing the Top Ten 3 point shooters in the league this year (minimum 50 games and 5 attempts per game). For a team that supposedly couldn't shoot well, there are three current Wolves on the list (Mike,KAT and Naz) and two recent former Wolves (Dlo and Beasley).
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Not sure we need a new thread, but is anyone pumped up for tonight's matchups?
I want the Pels to beat up on the Lakers And Kings knock out the Warriors.
I remember when Bron complained about the play in stuff, and funny he's used it more times than anyone. :lol:
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

maybe when he sees the writing on the wall and knows his team isn't making the finals, he'd just rather go home and put the bathrobe on.
focker

Post by focker »

Mplsfonz wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:23 pm
The NBA will never let this happen. NEVER.

If the Lakers lose tonight they'll get like 100 free throw attempts in their 2nd play in game for the 8th seed.
Top 4 Froob 2021!!!
PurpleValhalla

Post by PurpleValhalla »

Prediction: Lakers 40 FTs, Pelicans 8 FTs
Jack Soo 5

Post by Jack Soo 5 »

focker wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:58 pm

If the Lakers lose tonight they'll get like 100 free throw attempts in their 2nd play in game for the 8th seed.
I'm with the Fonz, and is why I'll be watching. But I think you're right Focker. Will be interesting to see how blatant it gets (if it comes to that).
Keep your stick on the ice
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

So, who are we all pulling for to get 7th and 8th seed? Honestly, just because I hate both teams, I obviously want both the Lakers and Warriors to get bounced so go Pels and Kings!

What will the league do if it comes down to Lakers and Warriors for the 8th seed? I assume that's why the Lakers will win tonight, so they don't have to worry about that?

Again, the Thunder better hope the Lakers don't end up 8th or they are fucked!
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

focker wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:58 pm

:yeahthat:
twolves31

Post by twolves31 »

A$$MAN wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:48 pm So, who are we all pulling for to get 7th and 8th seed? Honestly, just because I hate both teams, I obviously want both the Lakers and Warriors to get bounced so go Pels and Kings!

What will the league do if it comes down to Lakers and Warriors for the 8th seed? I assume that's why the Lakers will win tonight, so they don't have to worry about that?

They'd probably have Scott Foster ref it, if it was the Lakers versus Golden State for the 8th seed to make sure the Lakers win it. I wouldn't mind seeing The Pelicans versus OKC and Denver vs the Lakers to watch Denver sweep the Lakers and shut up the media.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

A$$MAN wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:48 pm So, who are we all pulling for to get 7th and 8th seed? Honestly, just because I hate both teams, I obviously want both the Lakers and Warriors to get bounced so go Pels and Kings!

Lakers over Pelicans... Warriors over Kings... then Pelicans over Warriors.... need Warriors for the final game for drama....

over Pelicans over Lakers, Warriors over Kings.. and Lakers versus Warriors for the 8th seed.

I want Lakers for 7th because I'd love to see Lebron knock of Denver, somehow.... then if the Wolves beat Phoenix, they get the lakers instead of Jokic.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
focker

Post by focker »

The Warriors played so terribly that the refs couldn't even help them! What a pile of garbage that team has become. Clay 0-10 shooting. He's going to lose so much $$ it's insane. Wiggins and Chris Paul likely outta there also.
Top 4 Froob 2021!!!
focker

Post by focker »

PurpleValhalla wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:07 pm Prediction: Lakers 40 FTs, Pelicans 8 FTs
Lakers 29 FT
Pelicans 15 FT

What's amazing about that, is the Pelicans had 9 more FG attempts than the Lakers, but still shot 14 less free throws. Also, the Lakers had 35 3 point attempts to the Pelican's 30, so that stat I just mentioned is even more eye opening.

The Pelican's outshot the Lakers 46.2% to 41.7%, had 9 more shots than the Lakers and outrebounded them 50-41. They had 6 more assists than the Lakers did as well.

The Lakers won this game PURELY on free throws. They outscored the Pelicans by 15 points from the line.
Top 4 Froob 2021!!!
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

focker wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:01 am The Warriors played so terribly that the refs couldn't even help them! What a pile of garbage that team has become. Clay 0-10 shooting. He's going to lose so much $$ it's insane. Wiggins and Chris Paul likely outta there also.
Yeah but they deserved it. Pre-game they were not taking it seriously. They were clowning and laughing, Dray was making fun of someone on the kings bench. I guess they acted like they could just turn it on when they needed to. Been doing it all season. Entitled team, now it's ova.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

focker wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:07 am
PurpleValhalla wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:07 pm Prediction: Lakers 40 FTs, Pelicans 8 FTs
Lakers 29 FT
Pelicans 15 FT

What's amazing about that, is the Pelicans had 9 more FG attempts than the Lakers, but still shot 14 less free throws. Also, the Lakers had 35 3 point attempts to the Pelican's 30, so that stat I just mentioned is even more eye opening.

The Pelican's outshot the Lakers 46.2% to 41.7%, had 9 more shots than the Lakers and outrebounded them 50-41. They had 6 more assists than the Lakers did as well.

The Lakers won this game PURELY on free throws. They outscored the Pelicans by 15 points from the line.
agreed. but it also didn't help the Pels cause to see Zion waddlestorm off to the locker room with a couple minutes to go in a toss up.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

I read were the Knicks thinks the team got screwed with the play in game.
They got second and rewarded with a tough 1st round matchup with the heat or Sixers. Fornier says that they should be able to pick their opponent. Celtics pick first then the Knicks as a reward. So they're scared of those teams and want an easy way to the finals. I can't stand Miami or 76'ers but I hope they sweep NY. Punks.
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

Mplsfonz wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:20 am I read were the Knicks thinks the team got screwed with the play in game.
They got second and rewarded with a tough 1st round matchup with the heat or Sixers. Fornier says that they should be able to pick their opponent. Celtics pick first then the Knicks as a reward. So they're scared of those teams and want an easy way to the finals. I can't stand Miami or 76'ers but I hope they sweep NY. Punks.
If you're scared of the Heat, you may as well not even bother showing up for the playoffs.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Why are people so f'ing dumb?

Let's get Tropical
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

jffl_commish wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:23 am Why are people so f'ing dumb?

He was a small potato that serves notice to all who even dare to bet on games. There are ways around it, so he wasn't very smart.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

The league would have had a much stickier situation if it was his brother. But they need to ban prop bets. Just too many avenues to go astray - and players could absolutely be less brazen than Porter was. But look at Boban and the free chicken FTs last night. Anyone going to question a missed FT from Boban? But there was a benefit to people off the court that has nothing to do with playing the game. If Boban can miss FTs, how hard is it for any player to miss FTs. Or a three. Or a layup or a rebound? Just too many ways to screw around with the game.
focker

Post by focker »

Mplsfonz wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:12 am
focker wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:01 am The Warriors played so terribly that the refs couldn't even help them! What a pile of garbage that team has become. Clay 0-10 shooting. He's going to lose so much $$ it's insane. Wiggins and Chris Paul likely outta there also.
Yeah but they deserved it. Pre-game they were not taking it seriously. They were clowning and laughing, Dray was making fun of someone on the kings bench. I guess they acted like they could just turn it on when they needed to. Been doing it all season. Entitled team, now it's ova.
Yeah I f'n hate Golden State with a passion so seeing them lose that game and knowing team is dunzo as constructed is very nice...
Top 4 Froob 2021!!!
focker

Post by focker »

Mplsfonz wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:29 am
jffl_commish wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:23 am Why are people so f'ing dumb?

He was a small potato that serves notice to all who even dare to bet on games. There are ways around it, so he wasn't very smart.
Dudes an idiot for sure. Fuck him. He's screwed now. Went from making millions to nothing in a flash. Enjoy playing in China.
Top 4 Froob 2021!!!
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

$80k for a $1M payout on a Jontay Porter prop bet.

Does anything happen to the dude that made the bet? Did Jontay get a cut? So many questions.

Enjoy playing overseas, I guess.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Some people just don't have the brains to protect themselves from themselves.

Too many stories of athletes destroying their livelihood over something stupid. Well at least he's not going to jail, so he's got that going for him. :D