Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

**** NBA Insider, ESPN+, The Athletic, News Thread ****

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
somuchyummy

Re: **** NBA Insider, ESPN+, The Athletic, News Thread ****

Post by somuchyummy »

Iowa Wolf DJ Carton got sniped on a two way by Toronto.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Would actually love this. This means he would be CHEAP and it wouldn't matter at all if it doesn't work out.

Simmons on basically a minimum deal is a terrific gamble.

WOuld never want Simmons on a max deal but for next to nothing? SIGN ME UP!
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i 100% would run in the opposite direction.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

We should keep KA and roll out a lineup with Rudy, KA, and Simmons at the same time and try to beat teams 42-41.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:32 pm We should keep KA and roll out a lineup with Rudy, KA, and Simmons at the same time and try to beat teams 42-41.
:lol:
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

We didn't get him!

Marcus Morris to sign with the Cavs.

So let's see - Jarrett Allen, Evan Mobley, Isaac Okoro, Georges Niang, Dean Wade, Damion Jones and Tristan Thompson - seven frontcourt players for the Cavs who have played between 31 and 62 games this year - but they need an 8th?
Last edited by somuchyummy on Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:25 pm We didn't get him!

Is everyone still feeling good about TJ Warren? It’d be nice if he could hit a 3. Hopefully he shows there’s a clear reason why he’s automatically getting minutes that players like Minott and Garza could have been handling.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

They just gave him another ten day. He started out well - 6 of 8 in the first two games. But now just 4 of 17 in the last three.
MolluskVonMuskie

Post by MolluskVonMuskie »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:28 pm

Is everyone still feeling good about TJ Warren? It’d be nice if he could hit a 3. Hopefully he shows there’s a clear reason why he’s automatically getting minutes that players like Minott and Garza could have been handling.
I have been waiting for some Minott and Garza all year. They seem like they could contribute to a winning team to me but maybe Finch sees something in practice? Or he just really likes playing the shit out of vets and is stuck in his ways.
twolves31

Post by twolves31 »

MolluskVonMuskie wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:57 pm

I have been waiting for some Minott and Garza all year. They seem like they could contribute to a winning team to me but maybe Finch sees something in practice? Or he just really likes playing the shit out of vets and is stuck in his ways.
What could you have possibly seen in Minott that makes you think he could contribute to a winning team? He looked pretty good the other day in garbage time, but our garbage time roster always looks terrible and fails to hold the opponent under 100 when it should have been pretty easy for them to do so. Garza hasn't looked too bad these past few games when given minutes, which does surprise me. He's too slow to have out there against faster bigs, but he hasn't looked too bad.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

twolves31 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:03 pm

What could you have possibly seen in Minott that makes you think he could contribute to a winning team? He looked pretty good the other day in garbage time, but our garbage time roster always looks terrible and fails to hold the opponent under 100 when it should have been pretty easy for them to do so. Garza hasn't looked too bad these past few games when given minutes, which does surprise me. He's too slow to have out there against faster bigs, but he hasn't looked too bad.
It’s an expensive team built to win now and margins are thin. I haven’t expected to see Minott, Miller, Garza or Moore this year.
MolluskVonMuskie

twolves31 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:03 pm

What have you seen in them that tells you that they suck?

I seem to remember the 1 time Minott got over 20 minutes in an NBA game he put up a 12Pt, 11reb, 1blk, 2stl line and we won. His G League stats show a player that could be capable of playing in the NBA(8gp 34.8mpg 22.0, 6.4, 3.3, 1.3, 1.5) . I also think he has the potential to be a plus defender and decent rebounder but has been given zero run to show it. Obviously his offense is still a work in progress but apparently so is Jaden's.

As for Garza, the guy can ball. Yes his D will always be hindered by his athletic limitations but his offensive skill is undeniable. He can put the ball in the hole if given the opportunity. Garza is the type that shouldn't be getting 25 mins per game regularly but as a 10-12 min per game offensive contributor off the bench, he should work.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

flexbuffchest wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:29 pm

Would actually love this. This means he would be CHEAP and it wouldn't matter at all if it doesn't work out.

Simmons on basically a minimum deal is a terrific gamble.

WOuld never want Simmons on a max deal but for next to nothing? SIGN ME UP!
Soooooo, its it happening??
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i think there's a direct correlation between us getting better as a team and us no longer having guys like Dlo and Wiggins on it. Simmons isn't cut from the same cloth? we want to reload again with that kind of guy?
MolluskVonMuskie

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:49 am i think there's a direct correlation between us getting better as a team and us no longer having guys like Dlo and Wiggins on it. Simmons isn't cut from the same cloth? we want to reload again with that kind of guy?
We definitely don't need a malcontent like Simmons. Dude needs to take his payday and go back to Australia as far as I am concerned. I will say a 1 year prove it deal is definitely the way to go on him though. I have a feeling Simmons will be willing to ball out for 1 more year so he can sucker another team into 1 more big contract. That's the BS way!
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

I'm watching an oldie tonight from the DVD rack. Great Sports Legends hosted by Jayne Kennedy (music by Grover Washington Jr.) Classic stuff. This one is about the great NBA big men - first episode - Kareem. Two things I took away from it. How thoughtful he is in his comments - and - how much in the early footage (when he hadn't had any injuries yet) how athletically gifted and smooth he was. Reminded me a lot of Wembanyama actually - but with better weight/strength for a 7-2 frame. That would have been an interesting matchup.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:39 pm I'm watching an oldie tonight from the DVD rack. Great Sports Legends hosted by Jayne Kennedy (music by Grover Washington Jr.) Classic stuff. This one is about the great NBA big men - first episode - Kareem. Two things I took away from it. How thoughtful he is in his comments - and - how much in the early footage (when he hadn't had any injuries yet) how athletically gifted and smooth he was. Reminded me a lot of Wembanyama actually - but with better weight/strength for a 7-2 frame. That would have been an interesting matchup.
It’s kinda weird how Kareem is underrated or rarely spoken of when people are discussing the legends.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:18 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:39 pm I'm watching an oldie tonight from the DVD rack. Great Sports Legends hosted by Jayne Kennedy (music by Grover Washington Jr.) Classic stuff. This one is about the great NBA big men - first episode - Kareem. Two things I took away from it. How thoughtful he is in his comments - and - how much in the early footage (when he hadn't had any injuries yet) how athletically gifted and smooth he was. Reminded me a lot of Wembanyama actually - but with better weight/strength for a 7-2 frame. That would have been an interesting matchup.
It’s kinda weird how Kareem is underrated or rarely spoken of when people are discussing the legends.
I mostly remember Kareem from his later years when we got more games broadcast on TV. And then he often looked stiff and hurting. The early stuff in college and with the Bucks that was on this video, wow - i was struck by how Wembanyama-like it seemed. Long and gracefully athletic as hell.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Kareem is basically the most decorated player of all time. He should be in the top 5 discussion and has what could be considered the most unstoppable shot ever.

2x Scoring Champ
1975-76 TRB Champ
4x BLK Champ
6x NBA Champ
15x All-NBA
11x All-Defensive
1969-70 All-Rookie
1969-70 ROY
2x Finals MVP
6x MVP

Three-time NCAA champion (1967, 1968, 1969)
Most Outstanding Player in NCAA Tournament (1967, 1968, 1969)
Player of the Year (1967, 1969)
Three-time First Team All-American (1967, 1968, 1969)
Naismith College Player of the Year (1969)
3× First-team All-Pac-8 (1967–1969)

UCLA went 88-2 in the three seasons that Kareem Abdul-Jabbar played with the Bruins. UCLA went undefeated in 1967, going 30-0 and winning the national championship, then 29-1 in each of the next two seasons. UCLA's first loss with Abdul-Jabbar didn't come until his 44th game with the Bruins, when they fell by two points to No. 2 Houston.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Kind of funny - when Lew (at the time) went to UCLA, freshmen couldn't play on the varsity, so he spent the season on the Brubabes, as they were called. First game they had was against the Bruins varsity - and the Brubabes won easily, something like 74-60. Alcindor posting a 31/18 line with 7 blocks. The Bruins varsity, incidentally, was coming off two years as repeat national champions. So... there's that. They other thing is that when Kareem finally did play his first varsity game as a sophomore - he scored 56 points in a defeat of cross town rivals USC. After the game, he lamented "my offense was only adequate. I could have shot better. My defense was bad. I have a lot to work on."
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

In a simple message posted on Instagram, Nemanja Bjelica announced his retirement from playing basketball.

"20 years...Thank you basketball" was Bjelica's message on Saturday afternoon.

The 6-foot-10 forward played for seven seasons in the NBA. Bjelica started his NBA career with the Minnesota Timberwolves in 2015, before moving to the Sacramento Kings in 2018. At the 2021 trade deadline, Bjelica was dealt to the Miami Heat. He then signed with the Golden State Warriors, and helped the team win the 2022 NBA Finals.

Following that NBA title, Bjelica returned to Fenerbahce in Turkey. He had previously played for the Turkish club before coming to the NBA.

Bjelica also played professionally for clubs in his native Serbia and in Spain during his 20-year professional career. The 35-year-old had also suited up for the Serbian national team for several EuroBasket and World Cup competitions, as well as Olympic qualifiers.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

I was always a fan of his, and wish it could have worked out better for him here. A surprisingly tough guy, something that would be good to add to this year's club in a 6-10 player. His immediate dismantling of Aaron afflalo was a thing of beauty. If you'll recall, afflalo threw a wild punch at NB - who responded by putting AA into a headlock in about a second or two. Just snuffed him out.

And notice the difference - Draymond got Rudy from behind in a chokehold that accelerated that incident. Nemanja got Afflalo in a headlock from the front and dismantled a fight.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
BBG

Post by BBG »

Be a pizza is a microcosm of wolves lore as yet another guy who I had high, high hopes for but his game never translated to wolves success
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Ruh-roh…

- Isaac Asimov
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:21 pm

Ruh-roh…
I was just reading about that. In the one game the over/under for the number of 3’s for Porter to make was 0.5.

He finished with 0 and it was the most profitable prop bet of the night on DraftKings.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Thought this was interesting:

First: :lol: LAL…

GS being last shouldn’t be too much of a shock since they’re so much of a jump shooting team and are kind of hacks defensively…. But I was a little surprised.

We’re not getting enough ref love considering how aggressive Edwards is and how much contact Rudy and Towns get. But we’re also a very physical defensive team.

- Isaac Asimov
Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

They signed TJ. Warren for the rest of the season.
My heart is family.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Catalyst wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:51 am They signed TJ. Warren for the rest of the season.
Good move.

He came in hot and has cooled a little, but is still a worthwhile piece.

I am still bummed we never went and got a hoss to bang with Zion if we meet them in the post-season. Roster weakness and hopefully we avoid the Pels.

- Isaac Asimov
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Grady is calling a game on TNT tonight. Congrats to him. He's been awesome here. I hope we don't lose him, but I don't think it's going to be long before we do.
Let's get Tropical
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

jffl_commish wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:06 pm Grady is calling a game on TNT tonight. Congrats to him. He's been awesome here. I hope we don't lose him, but I don't think it's going to be long before we do.
on the other hand, if we keep winning - it might be a fun place to be for his regular gig for a couple years.