Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

1st time on the course in 2022..

WannaBeProGolferGuy

1st time on the course in 2022..

Post by WannaBeProGolferGuy »

Went to a local course this afternoon to hit a bucket of range balls. Golf is golf and of course the opposite happens. Normally, I can hit 6 iron through Wedge really good but struggle with 4 & 5 iron. 6 - Wedge = top, thin, chunk. But 4 and 5 iron I was nailing like Tommy Lee on Pam Anderson

Tomorrow after I log off the salt-mines, I will head to the range and then hit 6-Wedge solid but thin, top, chunk my 4 and 5 iron.

Thanks for listening
Hornets

Re: 1st time on the course in 2022..

Post by Hornets »

WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:54 pm Went to a local course this afternoon to hit a bucket of range balls. Golf is golf and of course the opposite happens. Normally, I can hit 6 iron through Wedge really good but struggle with 4 & 5 iron. 6 - Wedge = top, thin, chunk. But 4 and 5 iron I was nailing like Tommy Lee on Pam Anderson

Tomorrow after I log off the salt-mines, I will head to the range and then hit 6-Wedge solid but thin, top, chunk my 4 and 5 iron.

Thanks for listening
What range did you go to?? The Master's is comin soon!!! Rumor is Tiger MIGHT appear!!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Went to Cedar Creek. Masters week is here. Thursday through Sunday will be epic along with Gopher hockey on Thursday night and possibly Saturday night.
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

Best week of the year. Golf courses are opening, while a bit wet and cool. Nothing close up north with lots of snow on the ground still North of Brainerd.

I am not a early cold temp golfer, but I am looking forward to playing. New Irons in the bag.

Masters week with the DPC on with the kids, the Par 3 is event is back, Tiger might play and the Traditional 1st Tee Shot on Thursday! Golf and NCAA Hockey, and while no Fighting Sioux in the mix, good to see the Gophers back in the Frozen Four, but I want Minnesota State to take it all! 20 years ago, the step child of college hockey, they have a shot.
Jean Claude Van Damme

Post by Jean Claude Van Damme »

Love Masters week. Been a couple of times.

I played Saturday. Had about a 3 minute delay while we allowed a 3 foot rattlesnake to cross the fairway.

Keep those wrists loose!
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Jean Claude Van Damme wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:03 pm Love Masters week. Been a couple of times.

I played Saturday. Had about a 3 minute delay while we allowed a 3 foot rattlesnake to cross the fairway.

Keep those wrists loose!
Who is your pick JCVD?? Is Tiger gonna play?
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Jean Claude Van Damme

Hornets wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:03 pm
Jean Claude Van Damme wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:03 pm Love Masters week. Been a couple of times.

Keep those wrists loose!
Who is your pick JCVD?? Is Tiger gonna play?
Already posted mine in RC. Xander, Morikawa, and Hovland.
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Couldn't squeeze in a 9 holes today, but, went to the local range to hit a bucket. All went well and only chunked 1 shot abysmally bad--4 iron. I can't hit that damn club consistently.

Loving the Masters so far. What Tiger has done by making the cut is remarkable. Scottie F'king Scheffler has been playing world-class golf since the Waste Management Open on Super Bowl Sunday
Jean Claude Van Damme

WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:13 pm Couldn't squeeze in a 9 holes today, but, went to the local range to hit a bucket. All went well and only chunked 1 shot abysmally bad--4 iron. I can't hit that damn club consistently.

Loving the Masters so far. What Tiger has done by making the cut is remarkable. Scottie F'king Scheffler has been playing world-class golf since the Waste Management Open on Super Bowl Sunday
I was there for the Sunday round.

Anyway, Scotties 4 putt on 18 was hilarious. :lol:
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Jean Claude Van Damme wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:47 pm
WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:13 pm Couldn't squeeze in a 9 holes today, but, went to the local range to hit a bucket. All went well and only chunked 1 shot abysmally bad--4 iron. I can't hit that damn club consistently.

That is awesome. Is Sunday at the Master's everything it's hyped as?
Jean Claude Van Damme

WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:49 am

I was replying to your waste management comment.

But I've been to the Masters twice for Thurs-Sunday rounds. It's an amazing atmosphere. I saw Tiger win and Phil win in the 00's. And seeing the course in person let's you see how very hilly everything is.
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Jean Claude Van Damme wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:56 am

But I've been to the Masters twice for Thurs-Sunday rounds. It's an amazing atmosphere. I saw Tiger win and Phil win in the 00's. And seeing the course in person let's you see how very hilly everything is.
Ah ok. My bad. The talking heads always say Augusta is the most difficult walk on the tour with tons of elevation change that you can't see on TV. If I was every lucky enough to play that course, I don't think I would break 100 as it looks that difficult
Jean Claude Van Damme

WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:10 am

Ah ok. My bad. The talking heads always say Augusta is the most difficult walk on the tour with tons of elevation change that you can't see on TV. If I was every lucky enough to play that course, I don't think I would break 100 as it looks that difficult
Maybe from the ladies tees. :lol:
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Jean Claude Van Damme wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:19 am
WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:10 am

Maybe from the ladies tees. :lol:
:lol: Well played sir, well played and probably accurate. I broke 80 once but the greens did not have near the complexity as they do an Augusta
3puttparguy

Post by 3puttparguy »

Mother nature sure hit the brakes.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

While a few of the courses did stay open the last week, I don't think they had many customers.
Saw a couple of Southern MN courses post on Facebook they were open yesterday.

Pins are going in on several courses for the first time this coming weekend and into next week from the Twin Cities and South. Perhaps a few courses between Cities and Brainerd.

Brainerd to Park Rapids might see some more open. I think Crosswoods has the 3rd 9 open that he snowblows in Feb so the golf team can play if it does warm up.

North of Park Rapids has a long way to go. Up to a ft of snow still on the fairways around Grand Rapids/Bemidji/Duluth. I would guess Superior National might not see the main 18 open until June at this point.

I will go hit the driving range later this week. Need to hit on the grass and figure out yardage on the new irons. Been swinging the 5 iron to get the body moving.
3puttparguy

Post by 3puttparguy »

Drove past Monticello course off 94 yesterday. Pin was in and one guy pushing a cart. I might get out Thursday or Friday early. Saturday rain. Then 45ish for at least a week. Got a different driver last month. Was pretty straight in the sim but can't wait to see how she flies outdoors. Taking a divot will be nice too.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

Im not in a rush to play until it warms up and drys out.
3puttparguy

Post by 3puttparguy »

Played in December to the west near Annandale the past 2 years. Don't think it was quite 50 then, but it was much more bearable than 50 is now! Mind over matter. Only in MN.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

10 days changes things. A handful of Northern Courses putting pins in over the next few days.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

Well i finally got out and played a round. Played como with my daughter today.
As I am getting ready, lower back tightens up. Played anyway and kept it under 90.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

my daughter just picked up a set of oversize clubs and a ping bag at a garage sale. two bucks a club and 15 bucks for the bag. driver, three and five wood and 3- PW. got a two iron blade too. lulz.

thinking about asking my brother to set up a late sunday afternoon foursome and play once a week this summer now that it's finally golf weather.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

weimy froob wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:57 pm my daughter just picked up a set of oversize clubs and a ping bag at a garage sale. two bucks a club and 15 bucks for the bag. driver, three and five wood and 3- PW. got a two iron blade too. lulz.

thinking about asking my brother to set up a late sunday afternoon foursome and play once a week this summer now that it's finally golf weather.
My daughter started playing last year. She is in her 30's. Of courses she has to go get decent clubs, a cute bag and spent 8 weeks with the 2019 National Teacher of the year. She got the bug. She also took up snow skiing, so had to get all that stuff too. She plays at least 9 three times a week. She does very well.
Got a bit flustered yesterday, but has shot under 100 several times on 18.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i got my daughter some lessons one summer when she was 7 years old. the teacher said she had a "real good swing" and she did. hit a baby draw. i'd take her on the course and she could hit the ball pretty good. made a legit par on a par three once. but i blew it--or she maybe she did--because i made her walk the course for the first nine holes before i'd get a cart for the second nine. she revolted against that--and she was also playing t-ball that morphed into fastpitch--so golf fell by the wayside.

now she's signed up with her own kid for lessons. was borrowing clubs until she got this set. anyways, one of the guys in the lesson group told her that she's better than "90 percent" of the women golfers right now. that might be a little on the high side--but she can still hit the ball. probably will have her part of our foursome if i can get that off the ground.
~QQ~

Post by ~QQ~ »

weimy froob wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 2:34 pm i got my daughter some lessons one summer when she was 7 years old. the teacher said she had a "real good swing" and she did. hit a baby draw. i'd take her on the course and she could hit the ball pretty good. made a legit par on a par three once. but i blew it--or she maybe she did--because i made her walk the course for the first nine holes before i'd get a cart for the second nine. she revolted against that--and she was also playing t-ball that morphed into fastpitch--so golf fell by the wayside.

now she's signed up with her own kid for lessons. was borrowing clubs until she got this set. anyways, one of the guys in the lesson group told her that she's better than "90 percent" of the women golfers right now. that might be a little on the high side--but she can still hit the ball. probably will have her part of our foursome if i can get that off the ground.
I feel that. About 10 years ago I took my daughter who was in 5th grade out on the course. We had no idea the JC coach was playing behind us. He came up to us after a few holes and said he wanted us to remember him when it came time to pick schools. He was over the top about her swing. Well, she hated golf. Ended up in track but is still a good golfer. She also ended up playing high school golf and was all conference in CA. She's starting to come around on the sport. Me too, would love to get her in my family foursome.
-teets
~QQ~

Post by ~QQ~ »

weimy froob wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 2:34 pm i got my daughter some lessons one summer when she was 7 years old. the teacher said she had a "real good swing" and she did. hit a baby draw. i'd take her on the course and she could hit the ball pretty good. made a legit par on a par three once. but i blew it--or she maybe she did--because i made her walk the course for the first nine holes before i'd get a cart for the second nine. she revolted against that--and she was also playing t-ball that morphed into fastpitch--so golf fell by the wayside.

I feel that. About 10 years ago I took my daughter who was in 5th grade out on the course. We had no idea the JC coach was playing behind us. He came up to us after a few holes and said he wanted us to remember him when it came time to pick schools. He was over the top about her swing. Well, she hated golf. Ended up in track but is still a good golfer. She also ended up playing high school golf and was all conference in CA. She's starting to come around on the sport. Me too, would love to get her in my family foursome.
-teets
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Turrible day on the course today but oddly enough I am satisfied. Constant 20-30mph winds today and I do not know how to play a draw or a fade to counteract said winds. Chipping and Pitching was much improved as I have been practicing on the range the last couple of days. Putting was brutal today ( but last Saturday was exceptional) as I 3 putted 6 on the front 9 and 5 on the back nine. Driver is sporadic--at times I hit it a ton but other times I slice something awful. Overall, 47 on the front and 45 on the back for a 92.
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Man oh Man, was the front 9 ugly tonight. Shot a 49 and was lucky since my putter and chipping bailed me out. Iron play resembled Charles Barkley on the front 9. Topping, thinning, and chunking everything. Back 9 I said F it and going by feel (instead of a technical approach). Pared 4 of the 5 on the back nine. 1 double on 17 ( par 3 = par or double bogey for yours truly) and finished with a 40 on the back 9 for a total of 89. Somewhat happy the back 9 went my way but disappointed with my self I didn't make the necessary adjustments sooner. Meh, oh well, still had fun!
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:32 pm Man oh Man, was the front 9 ugly tonight. Shot a 49 and was lucky since my putter and chipping bailed me out. Iron play resembled Charles Barkley on the front 9. Topping, thinning, and chunking everything. Back 9 I said F it and going by feel (instead of a technical approach). Pared 4 of the 5 on the back nine. 1 double on 17 ( par 3 = par or double bogey for yours truly) and finished with a 40 on the back 9 for a total of 89. Somewhat happy the back 9 went my way but disappointed with my self I didn't make the necessary adjustments sooner. Meh, oh well, still had fun!
Played The Summit the other day. Front nine were you can miss and still have a shot, i play my normal just under bogey golf. Drives in the fairway and some nice shots to the green. Still getting the feel for my new irons.
Head to the back nine were you can not miss your tee shots. I missed everyone of them and had my worse 9 in many years.
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Sellingguy wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:23 am
WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:32 pm Man oh Man, was the front 9 ugly tonight. Shot a 49 and was lucky since my putter and chipping bailed me out. Iron play resembled Charles Barkley on the front 9. Topping, thinning, and chunking everything. Back 9 I said F it and going by feel (instead of a technical approach). Pared 4 of the 5 on the back nine. 1 double on 17 ( par 3 = par or double bogey for yours truly) and finished with a 40 on the back 9 for a total of 89. Somewhat happy the back 9 went my way but disappointed with my self I didn't make the necessary adjustments sooner. Meh, oh well, still had fun!
Played The Summit the other day. Front nine were you can miss and still have a shot, i play my normal just under bogey golf. Drives in the fairway and some nice shots to the green. Still getting the feel for my new irons.
Head to the back nine were you can not miss your tee shots. I missed everyone of them and had my worse 9 in many years.
:lol: I know the feeling. That is golf :thumbsup: