Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Trade! Jost for Sturm

A place to discuss the MN Wild
mglviks

Trade! Jost for Sturm

Post by mglviks »

Even swap of centers

Tyson Jost for Nico Sturm

Avs give up a young highly touted prospect former #10 pick for defensive energy center Nico Sturm.

Trade seems like we add offense, the Avs gain some defense. Odd to help the team we are looking to get past. But Guerin must have thought he was getting too good of a deal to pass up.

Pretty darn happy with the deal talent wise.
Hornets

Re: Trade! Jost for Sturm

Post by Hornets »

Three or four years ago I would have been quite excited by this....
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
NonprovincialMNFan

Post by NonprovincialMNFan »

I can see a trade for a D-man.....I don't want to take the chance on Fluery.....he hasn't played any better than our current goalies. He could be finally done, done.
Doc Holliday: There's no normal life, Wyatt, it's just life. Get on with it.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

NonprovincialMNFan wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:16 pm I can see a trade for a D-man.....I don't want to take the chance on Fluery.....he hasn't played any better than our current goalies. He could be finally done, done.
I've long been a proponent of getting a hard nosed D here for the playoff run. Teams are just pushing our diminutive D around in front of the net and that's not gonna cut it come playoff time. Not sure who is out there and who might be available...that's Guerin's job.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Martyball

Post by Martyball »

Avs freed up a little cap space. Sounds like they are going to pull off a big trade. Patrick Kane? Giroux?

Wild have to make a trade in order to free up cap space for next year. Dumba 6 million. Spurgeon? Talbolt?

I think the Wild go after a top line center.

Im with Gus. Id love to see a top D man for the playoff run. Shattenkirk would look great in a Wild sweater.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

I'd have preferred Michael Che.
ocsid

Post by ocsid »

Hornets wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:23 pm
NonprovincialMNFan wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:16 pm I can see a trade for a D-man.....I don't want to take the chance on Fluery.....he hasn't played any better than our current goalies. He could be finally done, done.
I've long been a proponent of getting a hard nosed D here for the playoff run. Teams are just pushing our diminutive D around in front of the net and that's not gonna cut it come playoff time. Not sure who is out there and who might be available...that's Guerin's job.
Guerin was on the radio the other day and was asked about this. He brushed it off, saying that he wasn't a fan of big lumbering D-men, because they were slow and didn't handle the puck well.
Proud member of the Low-T Posse®
focker

Post by focker »

The word is that Strum wasn't going to resign here without a much bigger deal and the Wild weren't going to pay him, so they traded him for Jost to at least get something for a guy they were likely to lose anyway.
Top 4 Froob 2021!!!
NonprovincialMNFan

ocsid wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:12 pm
Hornets wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:23 pm
Guerin was on the radio the other day and was asked about this. He brushed it off, saying that he wasn't a fan of big lumbering D-men, because they were slow and didn't handle the puck well.
well I was correct on the D-man.....and time will tell if Fluery has any gas left in the tank.
ocsid

Post by ocsid »

You absolutely were correct, and I was a bit surprised. Though Bill isn't exactly an open book in interviews. He often sounds annoyed at having to do them at all.
NonprovincialMNFan

ocsid wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:20 am You absolutely were correct, and I was a bit surprised. Though Bill isn't exactly an open book in interviews. He often sounds annoyed at having to do them at all.
Guerin managed to get his team ready for the playoffs and he didn't spend much to do it.
I am fine with adding Fluery....just nervous that he might be sliding down hill and glad we didnt pay a solid 1st rd pick for him.

Added a (hopefully) good goalie.
Added a tuff guy so Foligno isn't alone and on the ice more often.
Added a bigger gritty D-man.

gave up a conditional 2nd rd pick, a guy they were going to have a hard time keeping and a drafted player who refused to sign with us.

Not bad.
ocsid

Post by ocsid »

NonprovincialMNFan wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:30 am
ocsid wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:20 am You absolutely were correct, and I was a bit surprised. Though Bill isn't exactly an open book in interviews. He often sounds annoyed at having to do them at all.
Guerin managed to get his team ready for the playoffs and he didn't spend much to do it.
I am fine with adding Fluery....just nervous that he might be sliding down hill and glad we didnt pay a solid 1st rd pick for him.

gave up a conditional 2nd rd pick, a guy they were going to have a hard time keeping and a drafted player who refused to sign with us.

Not bad.
Why did he refuse to sign?
NonprovincialMNFan

ocsid wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:32 am
NonprovincialMNFan wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:30 am

Not bad.
Why did he refuse to sign?
he became convinced he wouldn't get a chance to play center quickly enough ...that he wouldn't get past our current centers...bummer as he blossomed late and played very well for boston (i think- 19 goals in 24 games) he 6-3 and 220+ lbs.....and was told we would wave his minor league assignment and start to burn his RA years asap....still didn't want to sign.
I think his agent convinced him he could pick his spot if he becomes unsigned after this year.
He goes to phx (as punishment) and now has to play with them while not signing.