Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Twins Rotation… What now?

A place to discuss the MN Twins
weimy froob

Re: Twins Rotation… What now?

Post by weimy froob »

ForCaleb wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:38 pm
weimy froob wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:45 pm
ChrisPaulGeorgeHill wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:43 pm If the front office/ownership gets cheap (I think they are and will be) with the rotation this offseason and we roll into next year with the rumored Lopez/Ryan/Ober/Paddack/Varland five, that would be a recipe for disaster.

Joe Ryan has been consistently inconsistent so far and to peg him as your #2 is shaky at best.

Ober has been decent, but I feel he’s more of 4/5 guy.

Paddack and Tyler Mahle have proven nothing other than that they can’t stay healthy.

Varland has had some decent outings but also some terrible ones.

Even if the division is comparable in weakness next season to how it was this past, I think the team struggles to win it again and also stay healthy.

Bring Gray back or sign an above average proven starter to replace him as pitching was the main reason to the success of last year along with a weak division.

The team should NOT make their greatest strength weaker.
according to the strib article today they're just going to make sonny a one year 20.5 million dollar offer and he'll go the free agency route. they said they're comfortable going into the season with that rotation--but if they're not going to foreclose the idea of bringing in another arm. i think you can have some optimism with paddack if he can stay healthy. they want louie to find another pitch if he's going to be in the rotation. he could be asked to go back to the bullpen too. ryan as a #2 seems folly unless he finds another pitch to miss bats with. too many two strike pitches fouled off in the second half of the season which drove up his pitch count along with all those HRs.

ober might be the key. is he going to get better?
I agree with everything here, but if Sonny doesn't resign the Twins have to get someone stable and reliable to anchor the middle of the rotation. The replacement doesn't have to be better than Sonny, but it should be close or a solid #3.
Twins like the look of 2024 starting rotation, but won't rule out seeking more talent

https://www.startribune.com/twins-start ... fresh=true
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Gray's spot should be a FA, preferably a LHP. Snell, Eduardo Rodriguez or Jordan Montgomery would all be excellent choices.
If they don't go that way, I wouldn't be opposed to a typical Twins contract where they gamble on a broken guy getting right. Take a shot on Frankie Montas.
The Real Ted

Post by The Real Ted »

feekdogg wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:12 pm Gray's spot should be a FA, preferably a LHP. Snell, Eduardo Rodriguez or Jordan Montgomery would all be excellent choices.
If they don't go that way, I wouldn't be opposed to a typical Twins contract where they gamble on a broken guy getting right. Take a shot on Frankie Montas.
I don’t like it when they trade for pitchers who need Tommy John surgery.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

If you don't have Gallo and Sonny back then you use that money to go get anotha solid SP......BOOM!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

feekdogg wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:12 pm Gray's spot should be a FA, preferably a LHP. Snell, Eduardo Rodriguez or Jordan Montgomery would all be excellent choices.
If the Twins are going to go cheap this offseason, Montas is a great low-risk, high-reward option to fill the rotation.

I was impressed with how Rodriguez pitched on that shitty Tigers team, I think he'd fit in well the Twins as well. Wouldn't be surprised if a big market team gives him a big multi-year deal.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

ForCaleb wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:28 am
If the Twins are going to go cheap this offseason, Montas is a great low-risk, high-reward option to fill the rotation.

I was impressed with how Rodriguez pitched on that shitty Tigers team, I think he'd fit in well the Twins as well. Wouldn't be surprised if a big market team gives him a big multi-year deal.
Kind of meaningless, but one of the projections I read had Gray getting 72 million over 3 years, and Rodriguez getting 80 mil over 5. Give me Rodriguez all day if those are likely salaries. Plus, he's from Venezuela, so maybe there's a a connection with Lopez.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

feekdogg wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:48 am
ForCaleb wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:28 am

Kind of meaningless, but one of the projections I read had Gray getting 72 million over 3 years, and Rodriguez getting 80 mil over 5. Give me Rodriguez all day if those are likely salaries. Plus, he's from Venezuela, so maybe there's a a connection with Lopez.
I agree, and this rotation needs a LH starter.

Montgomery is a lefty and his numbers are pretty good, but imo he just doesn't do much for me.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

What role are they hoping Mahle plays next season, 6th starter? Reliever?

edit. Nevermind. It looks like they paid him to rehab this year. Top 5 worsiest Twins trade ever.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Phil Leotardo

Post by Phil Leotardo »

Ask Not wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:36 pm What role are they hoping Mahle plays next season, 6th starter? Reliever?

edit. Nevermind. It looks like they paid him to rehab this year. Top 5 worsiest Twins trade ever.
Wouldn't shock me (in fact, I kind of expect it) if they bring Mahle back on a 1 or 2 year deal. He won't command much in the way of salary, and the Twins likely want to try and salvage something out of that trade.
That's right cocksucker! Go back to New Jersey!
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

As it stands now:

Pablo Lopez
Joe Ryan
Bailey Ober
Chris Paddack
Louie Varland ??
Phil Leotardo

Post by Phil Leotardo »

ForCaleb wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:47 pm As it stands now:

Pablo Lopez
Joe Ryan
Bailey Ober
Chris Paddack
Louie Varland ??
I think Varland's future in the majors is as a reliever. Ober and Paddock both have to prove they can pitch an entire season, something Ober's never done, and Paddock, if he has at all, hasn't done so in several years. The rotation needs significant help.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

Phil Leotardo wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:07 pm

Pablo Lopez
Joe Ryan
Bailey Ober
Chris Paddack
Louie Varland ??
I think Varland's future in the majors is as a reliever. Ober and Paddock both have to prove they can pitch an entire season, something Ober's never done, and Paddock, if he has at all, hasn't done so in several years. The rotation needs significant help.
Starters are harder to find. I think they should keep him as a starter until he proves it's the wrong spot. Then again, maybe Randy Dobnak is ready to start earning his salary. GO UBER GUY!
Ketchup can be nuancy
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

joe ryan has to find another pitch to put hitters away with two strikes. also lose the gopher ball pitch. not excited for a rotation with him being the #2 until he's done that. a lot of wishful thinking if that's the rotation that's going to reward the fans with october baseball.
ChrisPaulGeorgeHill

Post by ChrisPaulGeorgeHill »

If the Twins are banking on Paddick staying healthy, they’re dumber than we thought.

I don’t understand why they would think a guy with extensive injury history would all of a sudden be healthy?

I don’t get it.

Then the talk about Varland, Dobnak, etc?

Puke.

This is one of the reasons I don’t go to games. It’s ALWAYS about watching the bottom line with these scam artist Pohlads.

You saw what a strong rotation could do last year. If they had better hitting, who knows what could have happened.

But no. Pohlads decide to watch their pockets and make payroll cuts. Then they’re gonna tell this fanbase bullshit like they always do through their derp puppet PR people and the majority of MN is a mostly vegetable fanbase that will eat up what garbage they spew out with a spoon.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

With Sonny Gray and Kenta Maeda gone, what's next for the Twins rotation?
The Twins could trade for a starting pitcher, but they don't have a lot to offer in such a deal.

If the Twins don't add a frontline starter, they're banking on their internal options filling the void. The Twins are optimistic about Paddack, especially after what he showed in the bullpen, but he hasn't thrown more than 108 innings in a season since 2019.

"You're always going to have some uncertainty in the group that you walk in with," Falvey said. "Last year people weren't sure about where Sonny was. People weren't sure about where Pablo was, if he could take that next step. Joe Ryan was probably the most promising coming off of his previous year. Bailey was a question mark. When we walk into the season, we expect that there will be some uncertainty on the roster. But I feel really good about the group that we're already walking in with."

The Twins prioritized depth last season and they're expected to add at least one pitcher who can compete with Varland for the fifth spot in the rotation. David Festa, Brent Headrick and Simeon Woods Richardson loom as Class AAA depth and they plan to keep prospect Matt Canterino, who missed the 2023 season recovering from Tommy John surgery, stretched out as a starter.

It wasn't just depth that spearheaded the Twins' rotation last season. Gray played a major role in the regular season and playoffs, and now the club will move ahead without him.

https://www.startribune.com/minnesota-t ... 600322666/
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

HATE the way this is heading....
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

It's amazing how there's this pool of old mediocre pitchers and they just make the rotation between teams on 1 yr deals. Every once in a while one of them will have a good year, then go right back to being old and mediocre.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Phil Leotardo wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:07 pm

Pablo Lopez
Joe Ryan
Bailey Ober
Chris Paddack
Louie Varland ??
I agree. I was just plugging in players because it's November

I also don't think Ryan is a strong #2. Like Weimy said, he doesn't have a third pitch and his fastball just didn't have any life on it for last half of the season.

I think another concern is our options at the AAA and AA level. I'm just not seeing anyone that could make a positive impact.
Coach X

Post by Coach X »

Canterino is promising. Need to add a #2 and this staff will do just fine
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

AL FAVORITES

1. Pablo López, RHP, Twins
2023 CYA finish: 7th

No pitcher increased his strikeout rate more from 2022 to 2023 than López (minimum 150 innings in each season), whose 29.2% mark ranked fifth among qualified starters. He went from primarily using a four-seamer and changeup to adding a sweeper to that main mix, and went from a good pitcher with a lot of promise to a Cy Young contender. López made his first All-Star team in 2023 and received Cy Young votes for the first time. I can't wait to see what he does in 2024, continuing to build off of his changes and improvements. He would be the first Twins pitcher to win a Cy Young since his idol, Johan Santana, in 2006. Imagine the emotions there.

Maybe he can go every third day?
salamander

Post by salamander »

Fuck the Pohlads, fuck the Twins.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

salamander wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:33 pm Fuck the Pohlads, fuck the Twins.
What did they do now?
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/02/ ... omery.html

"we're not in the market for 30 mil a year" ... are all those free agents going to make 30 mil a year?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
R403

Post by R403 »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:37 am https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/02/ ... omery.html

"we're not in the market for 30 mil a year" ... are all those free agents going to make 30 mil a year?
Ownership is so out of touch with the public. What a great message to send your fan base after you finally win a playoff series in 20 years. They are just out of touch.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Someone really needs to tell Joe to STFU
Let's get Tropical
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

I mean, I respect him for telling us they weren't spending money. I dont know why they ever did, though.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:01 pm I mean, I respect him for telling us they weren't spending money. I dont know why they ever did, though.
Whoever the PR guy or gal is over there should have been fired the second Falvey publicly announced they intended to cut payroll.
That'd save them some money.
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

jffl_commish wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:26 am Someone really needs to tell Joe to STFU
Would you rather have him lie to you the way Jim did for the last 20 years?

I guess I respect the candor, but the timing is terrible. You don't say that to your fans on the eve of Spring Training.
Phil Leotardo

Post by Phil Leotardo »

Sidewinder2k2 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:30 pm
jffl_commish wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:26 am Someone really needs to tell Joe to STFU
Would you rather have him lie to you the way Jim did for the last 20 years?

I guess I respect the candor, but the timing is terrible. You don't say that to your fans on the eve of Spring Training.
If he really wanted to be candid, he'd tell the whole truth. ''We don't want to lose money, so we're going to slash payroll and HOPE we can emulate the most successful small market team in maybe the history of baseball. Most likely we'll fail, so get used to watching (if you can find our games) a mediocre product for the foreseeable future.''
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

you can take the man out of the bank--but you can't take the banker out of the man.