Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Twins Rotation… What now?

A place to discuss the MN Twins
weimy froob

Re: Twins Rotation… What now?

Post by weimy froob »

Phil Leotardo wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:12 pm
weimy froob wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:29 pm if they're thinking of putting maeda in the bullpen for the playoffs then they must be thinking of ryan being the third starter. hopefully they skip ober's next start that would be in texas.

Ted
@tlschwerz
The fatigue/problems for Ober/Ryan are concerning. Would prefer to see Keuchel in one of their spots with either as a piggyback.
I didn't see the game last night, but Ryan's line looked fine for his first start back. I would assume he's the #3 if he can approach the performance he had pre injury.
he was pretty good for his first game back. got help from an out at the plate. maeda is a better option to start imo though in a potential game three with the winner taking the series. but if he's going to be a bullpen guy that can give you two plus innings every other day that would also be what this team potentially would need in the playoffs. maybe more.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

A point of concern for the Twins: Why do home runs keep dogging Bailey Ober? The right-hander has given up at least one home run in each of his eight starts since the All-Star break, and he surrendered both Texas long balls Sunday. He yielded five runs over four innings, and his post-All-Star ERA now stands at 5.85 — more than double his 2.61 mark before the break.

On the other hand, Dallas Keuchel added another chapter to his amazing comeback story, following up his six perfect innings last week against the Pittsburgh Pirates with five scoreless innings, which included five singles but no runners advancing past second base.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:00 pm A point of concern for the Twins: Why do home runs keep dogging Bailey Ober? The right-hander has given up at least one home run in each of his eight starts since the All-Star break, and he surrendered both Texas long balls Sunday. He yielded five runs over four innings, and his post-All-Star ERA now stands at 5.85 — more than double his 2.61 mark before the break.

On the other hand, Dallas Keuchel added another chapter to his amazing comeback story, following up his six perfect innings last week against the Pittsburgh Pirates with five scoreless innings, which included five singles but no runners advancing past second base.
Bailey has been a big help for the most part this season and that was needed with the injuries to Mahle and Maeda. Probably suffering from a bit of a dead arm right now and Blockhead probably needs to limit him going forward. Pretty safe to say that Bailey will not be a starter in any playoff series but instead could help out as a long reliever, kinda like Dallas did today!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Phil Leotardo

Post by Phil Leotardo »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:00 pm A point of concern for the Twins: Why do home runs keep dogging Bailey Ober? The right-hander has given up at least one home run in each of his eight starts since the All-Star break, and he surrendered both Texas long balls Sunday. He yielded five runs over four innings, and his post-All-Star ERA now stands at 5.85 — more than double his 2.61 mark before the break.

I sincerely doubt Ober is a sub 3 era guy. This is probably a lot closer to what you can expect from him at the major league level. He's definitely in uncharted waters with the amount he's thrown this year, but he's still probably a decent #4 or #5 starter for you.
That's right cocksucker! Go back to New Jersey!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Phil Leotardo

Post by Phil Leotardo »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:21 pm
I don't know how connected the Twins Daily crew are, but Ted tweeted yesterday that while mgmt liked the idea of a 6 man rotation, one of the starters was against it, so the plan was shelved. When asked to name the starter in question, he refused. If this is true, I think it casts more doubt on the way Rocco and the front office are handling this team.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Phil Leotardo wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:38 pm
I don't know how connected the Twins Daily crew are, but Ted tweeted yesterday that while mgmt liked the idea of a 6 man rotation, one of the starters was against it, so the plan was shelved. When asked to name the starter in question, he refused. If this is true, I think it casts more doubt on the way Rocco and the front office are handling this team.
i didn't see that--but my guess would be sonny if that's true.
Phil Leotardo

Post by Phil Leotardo »

Ober sent down, Funderbunk called up. Ober could probably benefit from a 2 week break, gotta think he's worn out after throwing as many innings as he has this season.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Phil Leotardo wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:21 pm Ober sent down, Funderbunk called up. Ober could probably benefit from a 2 week break, gotta think he's worn out after throwing as many innings as he has this season.
they saw enough. it needed to be done.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:24 pm
Phil Leotardo wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:21 pm Ober sent down, Funderbunk called up. Ober could probably benefit from a 2 week break, gotta think he's worn out after throwing as many innings as he has this season.
they saw enough. it needed to be done.
Yep, glad they were bold enough to make the move and hope Funderfellah can help in the short term. Bailey will be back...
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

The right button was pushed here.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

On Monday, starter Kenta Maeda, coming off two iffy starts, allowed four runs in the second inning, during which six of the seven batters he faced hit the ball hard, and six runs in four innings overall, ballooning his ERA to 4.69. Maeda has given up 12 runs in 13 innings over his past three starts.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

I hope Funderbunk can be a solid contributor for years just because of the name alone.
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:39 pm
Phil Leotardo wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:38 pm
i didn't see that--but my guess would be sonny if that's true.
I'd bet money on it being Sonny. I'd take him over the the field in that wager. My question is, why are we kowtowing to a guy that is out the door in a couple months? He won't re-sign here, we could win The World Series and he's not coming back. He will go to the highest bidder and one that doesn't have restrictions on their starters ordered from the top down.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

ryan got the win last night for only the second time since june 22. more important is that he almost matched scherzer and looked real good in doing it. as good as he's looked in months i'd say. he could get the ball in an elimination game in the opening round of the playoffs. if he can continue to pitch like he did last night that could be a very good thing for the twins.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

So, if Ryan really was so bad for that stretch because he was hiding an injury, good gravy is that an awful, awful look for the organization. It shows a complete lack of trust between players and management, along with yet another instance of incompetence with the team doctor/training staff.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

feekdogg wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:07 am So, if Ryan really was so bad for that stretch because he was hiding an injury, good gravy is that an awful, awful look for the organization. It shows a complete lack of trust between players and management, along with yet another instance of incompetence with the team doctor/training staff.
This.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

I assume Sonny will be game 1 starter with Pablo 2? Ryan, Maeda, Ober are such a crapshoot, I assume Maeda due to experience gets 3 but who knows. Keuchel as emergency long man if they blow up in the first inning?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i go with sonny in game one myself. he's just a little more consistent than lopez. all of them have had their moments of blowing up--but lopez on saturday followed by gray on sunday sealed it for me. i think he turns it over to ryan in a potential game three. just so he expects only four innings then it should be okay. hand it off to one of the others after that. louie if he hasn't been used in the series is where i'd go.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i'd thinking kenta for game three after this ryan start.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

anybody want to hand the ball to joe instead of kenta in an elimination game? not me.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:13 pm ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

anybody want to hand the ball to joe instead of kenta in an elimination game? not me.
If you tell Kenta that he's only going 4-5 innings, I think it takes the pressure off and he'll execute. He also has playoff experience.

Ryan has not pitched well his last three starts. In fact, 6 of 8 of his last started have not been good.

Rocco has 10 days to set up the rotation for the playoffs and that's a great problem to have.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:13 pm ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'd take Joe in a body building competition....guy is RIPPED!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Ted
@tlschwerz
#MNTwins Pablo Lopez finishes with 4.5 fWAR in his first season for Minnesota. That's 10th among starting pitchers, and 5th in the American League.
ChrisPaulGeorgeHill

Post by ChrisPaulGeorgeHill »

If the front office/ownership gets cheap (I think they are and will be) with the rotation this offseason and we roll into next year with the rumored Lopez/Ryan/Ober/Paddack/Varland five, that would be a recipe for disaster.

Joe Ryan has been consistently inconsistent so far and to peg him as your #2 is shaky at best.

Ober has been decent, but I feel he’s more of 4/5 guy.

Paddack and Tyler Mahle have proven nothing other than that they can’t stay healthy.

Varland has had some decent outings but also some terrible ones.

Even if the division is comparable in weakness next season to how it was this past, I think the team struggles to win it again and also stay healthy.

Bring Gray back or sign an above average proven starter to replace him as pitching was the main reason to the success of last year along with a weak division.

The team should NOT make their greatest strength weaker.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

ChrisPaulGeorgeHill wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:43 pm If the front office/ownership gets cheap (I think they are and will be) with the rotation this offseason and we roll into next year with the rumored Lopez/Ryan/Ober/Paddack/Varland five, that would be a recipe for disaster.

Joe Ryan has been consistently inconsistent so far and to peg him as your #2 is shaky at best.

Paddack and Tyler Mahle have proven nothing other than that they can’t stay healthy.

Even if the division is comparable in weakness next season to how it was this past, I think the team struggles to win it again and also stay healthy.

Bring Gray back or sign an above average proven starter to replace him as pitching was the main reason to the success of last year along with a weak division.

according to the strib article today they're just going to make sonny a one year 20.5 million dollar offer and he'll go the free agency route. they said they're comfortable going into the season with that rotation--but if they're not going to foreclose the idea of bringing in another arm. i think you can have some optimism with paddack if he can stay healthy. they want louie to find another pitch if he's going to be in the rotation. he could be asked to go back to the bullpen too. ryan as a #2 seems folly unless he finds another pitch to miss bats with. too many two strike pitches fouled off in the second half of the season which drove up his pitch count along with all those HRs.

ober might be the key. is he going to get better?
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:45 pm
ChrisPaulGeorgeHill wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:43 pm If the front office/ownership gets cheap (I think they are and will be) with the rotation this offseason and we roll into next year with the rumored Lopez/Ryan/Ober/Paddack/Varland five, that would be a recipe for disaster.

according to the strib article today they're just going to make sonny a one year 20.5 million dollar offer and he'll go the free agency route. they said they're comfortable going into the season with that rotation--but if they're not going to foreclose the idea of bringing in another arm. i think you can have some optimism with paddack if he can stay healthy. they want louie to find another pitch if he's going to be in the rotation. he could be asked to go back to the bullpen too. ryan as a #2 seems folly unless he finds another pitch to miss bats with. too many two strike pitches fouled off in the second half of the season which drove up his pitch count along with all those HRs.

ober might be the key. is he going to get better?
I agree with everything here, but if Sonny doesn't resign the Twins have to get someone stable and reliable to anchor the middle of the rotation. The replacement doesn't have to be better than Sonny, but it should be close or a solid #3.