Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2021-22 Gopher Season Thread (let’s get to 2 pages)

Home for Gopher Basketball
Skiptomylue

Re: 2021-22 Gopher Season Thread (let’s get to 2 pages)

Post by Skiptomylue »

This is what you get when you hire a coach that is not qualified
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

Skiptomylue wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:56 pm This is what you get when you hire a coach that is not qualified
Lou coming in hot to all the boards on first day!
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Sid Hartman wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:57 am
Skiptomylue wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:56 pm This is what you get when you hire a coach that is not qualified
It's DH.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Slap Shot wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:00 am
Sid Hartman wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:57 am
It's DH.
Nothing gets by you BroncoNick.

Here's an issue I see with this team.

They have 4 starters that are seniors. Battle will be a junior next year playing with more transfers and underclassmen that don't have experience. I see this is a 4+ year rebuild.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

That first half was the worst I've seen them play under Ben Johnson.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:02 pm That first half was the worst I've seen them play under Ben Johnson.
Off the bandwagon already?!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Do they have a W left on the schedule?
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eric Curry!
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Curry looked like he did as a freshman. Many (myself included) thought he'd never play again. He's fantastic with that 15-18 foot jumper.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

If they can find a way to win 3 more conference games, that's a fine season, all things considered.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

feekdogg wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:41 pm If they can find a way to win 3 more conference games, that's a fine season, all things considered.
The last four games are all "winnable". Three would be nice.

This last week was a meet grinder. Playing four games in a week.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Hangin with Bucky so far......long ways to go.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Well, I guess they play better than expected this year but they are still really, really bad. I haven't tuned in to near as many games this year but oof is my interest level low right now.

This team has been hot garbage for three straight seasons. They had a mediocre year when they were a bubble team and the year before that they were atrocious.

So over the last half decade 4 years have been bottom tier of B10 bad. I have never seen a stretch like this I don't think.

They better do something soon as this is getting really pathetic.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Here are my thoughts on this season. I'm sure you're all pretty excited to see them.

We all knew this season would suck. Poor talent, limited roster. I mean, they were absolutely gutted this past year. Losing Fox & Ihnen to injuries obviously did not help. That said, they've won way more games than I expected, and been ultra competitive against top teams besides. These guys play their hearts out for Johnson, and are a true team.

Now, imagine this same level of effort and play with adding back in Fox & Ihnen, plus getting actually talented recruits in? I believe the future is going to be bright under Johnson. But it's going to take time. I expect next year to be better. The year after and beyond to be really interesting.
Let's get Tropical
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:52 am Well, I guess they play better than expected this year but they are still really, really bad. I haven't tuned in to near as many games this year but oof is my interest level low right now.

This team has been hot garbage for three straight seasons. They had a mediocre year when they were a bubble team and the year before that they were atrocious.

So over the last half decade 4 years have been bottom tier of B10 bad. I have never seen a stretch like this I don't think.

They lost something like 8 players from a roster that was already horseshit. However, they showed more fight this year (not to mention actually running offensive plays) than basically at any time under Little Ricky and they've landed some decent recruits.

The previously years sucked, but quit yer bitching unless they show no signs of life by the middle of next season.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Slap Shot wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:31 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:52 am Well, I guess they play better than expected this year but they are still really, really bad. I haven't tuned in to near as many games this year but oof is my interest level low right now.

They lost something like 8 players from a roster that was already horseshit. However, they showed more fight this year (not to mention actually running offensive plays) than basically at any time under Little Ricky and they've landed some decent recruits.

The previously years sucked, but quit yer bitching unless they show no signs of life by the middle of next season.
I'm pretty sure you would have typed out this same exact thing 3 years ago when i was bitching about Richard. :thumbsup:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:39 pm

I'm pretty sure you would have typed out this same exact thing 3 years ago when i was bitching about Richard. :thumbsup:
Funny comment coming from the board's resident flip-flopper, but I never liked little Ricky from the beginning. To be clear is that unlike you I at least watch their games and can note the differences already between this coach and the last. Johnson may not be the answer but I'm not going to cry like a bitch in advance of it happening.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Slap Shot wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:49 pm

Funny comment coming from the board's resident flip-flopper, but I never liked little Ricky from the beginning. To be clear is that unlike you I at least watch their games and can note the differences already between this coach and the last. Johnson may not be the answer but I'm not going to cry like a bitch in advance of it happening.
And Richard looked great his first year here. It really doesn't mean shit. Great, he actually can run a play. That was something I harped on for years here as you can go back and look and the homers did the exact same thing you are doing now.

End of the day this team reeks. I'm not saying it wasn't expected to, I'm not saying they haven't played better than many thought. I clearly acknowledged that to begin with.

Are you going to dispute this program hasn't been utter trash for quite some time now? Have you seen as bad of a streak in your lifetime? That's what my original post was about. I know it's impossible for you to rip anything Gophers related. Well, until the guy you defended is run out of town. Then he's terrible.

And there is no need for a reply.

Thanks, Teh Tube.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I remember when little Richard got announced as the coach. Leading up the reveal Mark Rosen was going on and on about the hire being such a huge name. Then when he was introduced, I was like WTF? Swing and a miss, that one was.
Let's get Tropical
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

jffl_commish wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:19 pm I remember when little Richard got announced as the coach. Leading up the reveal Mark Rosen was going on and on about the hire being such a huge name. Then when he was introduced, I was like WTF? Swing and a miss, that one was.
Yep. Here and Rosen went on that day about how he would be out of here in two years and he was using Minnesota as a stepping stone. :lol:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:41 pm

And Richard looked great his first year here. It really doesn't mean shit. Great, he actually can run a play. That was something I harped on for years here as you can go back and look and the homers did the exact same thing you are doing now.

End of the day this team reeks. I'm not saying it wasn't expected to, I'm not saying they haven't played better than many thought. I clearly acknowledged that to begin with.

Are you going to dispute this program hasn't been utter trash for quite some time now? Have you seen as bad of a streak in your lifetime? That's what my original post was about. I know it's impossible for you to rip anything Gophers related. Well, until the guy you defended is run out of town. Then he's terrible.

Thanks, Teh Tube.
No need to reply to what - your flailing around looking like a moron? Yes the program has sucked (I already said that) but it's not automatic it will always be that way. That's the point.
Well, until the guy you defended is run out of town. Then he's terrible.
What exactly is there to rip on Johnson for already and how am I "defending" him? I said they've looked better than they had with Ricky despite losing 8 players, but I've also said it remains to be seen if he can lead them to more positive results.

Grow up for once.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Slap Shot wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:59 pm

Thanks, Teh Tube.
No need to reply to what - your flailing around looking like a moron? Yes the program has sucked (I already said that) but it's not automatic it will always be that way. That's the point.
What exactly is there to rip on Johnson for already and how am I "defending" him? I said they've looked better than they had with Ricky despite losing 8 players, but I've also said it remains to be seen if he can lead them to more positive results.

Grow up for once.
Bud, NOWHERE have i ripped Johnson in this thread. I ripped the hire but I am giving him a shot and he has been better than i expected so far.

My biggest rip on the hire wasn't Johnson himself but to hand it over once again to a guy without experience right after failing with an inexperienced Pitino. This program is very close to purgatory is all I'm saying and that's dangerous.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:08 pm
Slap Shot wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:59 pm

Thanks, Teh Tube.

Grow up for once.
I'd say they already reached purgatory last season. At least this season has seen some compete and an actual plan when on offense.

Bud, NOWHERE have i ripped Johnson in this thread. I ripped the hire but I am giving him a shot and he has been better than i expected so far.

My biggest rip on the hire wasn't Johnson himself but to hand it over once again to a guy without experience right after failing with an inexperienced Pitino. This program is very close to purgatory is all I'm saying and that's dangerous.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Parker Fox is throwing down some monster dunks in warm-ups right now. He'll be a big addition next season.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:35 pm Parker Fox is throwing down some monster dunks in warm-ups right now. He'll be a big addition next season.
Almost forgot about him....remind me how many years of eligibility does he have?
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Hornets wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:54 pm
Hoop Dreams wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:35 pm Parker Fox is throwing down some monster dunks in warm-ups right now. He'll be a big addition next season.
Almost forgot about him....remind me how many years of eligibility does he have?
Two years left.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

This team has nothing to be ashamed of. They play with more heart that any team we've seen here for a long damn time.
Let's get Tropical
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

jffl_commish wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:34 pm This team has nothing to be ashamed of. They play with more heart that any team we've seen here for a long damn time.
I agree. A lot of tough loses, but the effort is there every game.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

ForCaleb wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:40 pm
jffl_commish wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:34 pm This team has nothing to be ashamed of. They play with more heart that any team we've seen here for a long damn time.
I agree. A lot of tough loses, but the effort is there every game.
Ben gets a pass this season and we all appreciate the effort shown by the players......BUT, next season effort alone is not gonna cut it, we're all gonna need/want to see more wins and I think Ben will deliver!
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Rodents fightin hard but are down 4 at half vs Da Terripins