Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

**Official 2021-22 Gopher Hockey Chat!**

Home for Gopher Hockey
Hornets

**Official 2021-22 Gopher Hockey Chat!**

Post by Hornets »

Season FINALLY kicks off tonight as our Golden boys take on Mercyhurst. The U if LOADED on defense and goalie and will definitely be in the conversation come Final 4 time. I expect big things this season and wouldn't it be wonderful if Motz could bring home the first title in almost 20 years?!

RAH
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Slap Shot

Re: **Official 2021-22 Gopher Hockey Chat!**

Post by Slap Shot »

Ugly win but it counts.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Slap Shot wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:08 pm Ugly win but it counts.
Yes, it was. Some REALLY bad defensive lapses and let's hope that gets cleaned up pronto.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Rodents sweep a feisty Mercyhurst squad. Brodzinski LOVIN playing with Walker and McGlaughlin and is poised for a big campaign, Freshman Knies is a young beast. Defense again was leaky and Paul Martin needs to get that corrected STAT
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

The defense which was their strength last season fell back a bit this weekend - as did the play imho of Laffer. Hopefully they figure that out. The PP however was on point and this is one of the bigger Gophers teams I can think of for quite some time and they were not afraid to hit or go into the corners. My one complaint is that despite Mercyhurst collapsing around their goalie take the puck the net. Make them make a save, defend a rebound or whatever. Just driving the freaking net.

Was at the game today with great seats. Attendance was shite but there is nothing like seeing a hockey game live. The sights, sounds and smells cannot be matched by watching the game on TV. Even something as simple as hearing the puck clang off the post gives goosebumps. I may not get to see another live game again before I return to Asia but today seeing the game with my eldest was a treat and a memory we'll have forever.
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

Slap Shot wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:11 am The defense which was their strength last season fell back a bit this weekend - as did the play imho of Laffer. Hopefully they figure that out. The PP however was on point and this is one of the bigger Gophers teams I can think of for quite some time and they were not afraid to hit or go into the corners. My one complaint is that despite Mercyhurst collapsing around their goalie take the puck the net. Make them make a save, defend a rebound or whatever. Just driving the freaking net.

Was at the game today with great seats. Attendance was shite but there is nothing like seeing a hockey game live. The sights, sounds and smells cannot be matched by watching the game on TV. Even something as simple as hearing the puck clang off the post gives goosebumps. I may not get to see another live game again before I return to Asia but today seeing the game with my eldest was a treat and a memory we'll have forever.
6400 might be one of their biggest crowds in the last 4 years. But I think they count tickets sold, not butts in the seats.

I never thought the MN hockey fan would turn on the gophers, but they have. I wonder if attendance to HS games in the metro was up before covid. The gopher rink is such a classic. Grab a spot on the rail and enjoy the game.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Sellingguy wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:09 am
Slap Shot wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:11 am The defense which was their strength last season fell back a bit this weekend - as did the play imho of Laffer. Hopefully they figure that out. The PP however was on point and this is one of the bigger Gophers teams I can think of for quite some time and they were not afraid to hit or go into the corners. My one complaint is that despite Mercyhurst collapsing around their goalie take the puck the net. Make them make a save, defend a rebound or whatever. Just driving the freaking net.

6400 might be one of their biggest crowds in the last 4 years. But I think they count tickets sold, not butts in the seats.

I never thought the MN hockey fan would turn on the gophers, but they have. I wonder if attendance to HS games in the metro was up before covid. The gopher rink is such a classic. Grab a spot on the rail and enjoy the game.
I know a few out of metro fans that used to have Gophers tickets that now instead go to watch MSUM and SCSU rather than make the drive.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

Slap Shot wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:28 am

I know a few out of metro fans that used to have Gophers tickets that now instead go to watch MSUM and SCSU rather than make the drive.

Yeah that is part of it, but they have had UNDER 1000 people in the seats at the John for some games including 1st round playoff.
Once the toughest ticket in town.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Sellingguy wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:42 am
Slap Shot wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:28 am

Yeah that is part of it, but they have had UNDER 1000 people in the seats at the John for some games including 1st round playoff.
Once the toughest ticket in town.
The days of them regularly having 10k in the arena are sadly past. Before we moved I had to buy SRO tickets for a game against MTU just to get into the building. Whatever factors are playing into the attendance demise it's just a different world they're living in. If they can get back to 6k on a regular basis it will be a good thing.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Just got back from the Mooch after witnessing a really good Rodent/Husky tilt. The student section was PACKED so kudos to them. Guessing the attendance probably around 8000. Tremendous talent on both squads and it was a game of ebbs and flows. Gophs dominated much of the first, Husky's dominated much of the 2nd, and both squads battled hard till the end. Husky's really clamped down defensively and got themselves a 2-1 victory. Re-match tomorrow in St. Cloud.

RAH
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Q: So after that period we find ourselves tied at 2. With me is Brayden Johnson - Brayden what does your team need to do to come out ahead at the end of the game?
B: Well we gotta move our feet, get pucks to the net, ya know play our game.
Q: Your opponent seems to have frustrated you on offense at times. How do you overcome their clogging up the lanes?
Q: Finally - with one more point you will have become 10th overall in school history for points scored. How will you feel when you reach that milestone?
Q: Ok Mick back up to you in the booth.

Munger if there were 6,000 in the building last night I'd be surprised since they only sold 8,100.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

LOL....Rodents win in OT on a brutal non-call! Listened to Rich, Michelleti, and Parrish with the broadcast and goodness gracious they are AWFUL! Rachel Herzog is a cutie though!!

RAH!!
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

The Husky player dove. If anything they both should have gone.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

That was not a dive and I know the players like to embellish. That is a tough one to fake. Even the gopher player thought he was going for sure. Overall that was a great game.

Sioux get down early to the beavers 2-0 in the first 2 minutes. Tie it up at end to lose in OT. Another great game to watch.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Slap Shot wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:23 pm The Husky player dove. If anything they both should have gone.
LOL
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Hornets wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:13 pm
Slap Shot wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:23 pm The Husky player dove. If anything they both should have gone.
LOL
Not LOL - even the ref signaled for it or did you miss that? Perbix is 6'4" 200 - no way he goes down that easy from a tug on the sweater without diving. They could have maybe called McLaughlin too but way Perbix
Cripes

Post by Cripes »

Hornets wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:47 pm LOL....Rodents win in OT on a brutal non-call! Listened to Rich, Michelleti, and Parrish with the broadcast and goodness gracious they are AWFUL! Rachel Herzog is a cutie though!!

RAH!!
Hahaha maybe. Students do the broadcast as has been for years. Cameras, studio, all. Many of the best work for Bally Sports and others.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

I didn't think the broadcast was that bad - I give them credit for the effort despite a few hiccups.
Cripes

Post by Cripes »

Slap Shot wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:59 pm
LOL
Not LOL - even the ref signaled for it or did you miss that? Perbix is 6'4" 200 - no way he goes down that easy from a tug on the sweater without diving. They could have maybe called McLaughlin too but way Perbix
The arrogance is back! C’mon. Dude is trying to turn with puck on ice but he’s supposed to stay up because he’s big?
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Cripes wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:37 pm

LOL
The arrogance is back! C’mon. Dude is trying to turn with puck on ice but he’s supposed to stay up because he’s big?
He was going around the net - that was not a tough turn and he collapsed from a little tug. Come on.

Either way what does that opinion have to do with supposed arrogance? Jezzuz SCSU fans are weird. I think SCSU has a great squad, returns a ton of talent from a FF team and is well coached. I was glad the Gophers got a split and didn't expect more.
Cripes

Post by Cripes »

Slap Shot wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:42 pm

He was going around the net - that was not a tough turn and he collapsed from a little tug. Come on.

Either way what does that opinion have to do with supposed arrogance? Jezzuz SCSU fans are weird. I think SCSU has a great squad, returns a ton of talent from a FF team and is well coached. I was glad the Gophers got a split and didn't expect more.
It was a penalty. 3on3 is speed. I saw some comments about it on Strib. Sorry, not projecting on you but as sports go, you missed all the calls against us! I didn’t see all of both games. Gophers are younger and more talented for sure. I still don’t understand how this Husky team is a former national finalist and top 5 this season. We’ve probably had 10 better teams. Hockey.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Cripes wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:54 pm
Slap Shot wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:42 pm

It was a penalty. 3on3 is speed. I saw some comments about it on Strib. Sorry, not projecting on you but as sports go, you missed all the calls against us! I didn’t see all of both games. Gophers are younger and more talented for sure. I still don’t understand how this Husky team is a former national finalist and top 5 this season. We’ve probably had 10 better teams. Hockey.
The 2 penalties called on the Gophers late in the 3rd were garbage. You believe McLaughlin should have got a penalty fine, Perbix should have been called for embellishment. Another key that is missing from most discussions is that regardless of what you think about the call you can’t give up on the play. One team kept skating and that team won.

No arrogance required. :beer:
Cripes

Post by Cripes »

Slap Shot wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:57 pm
The 2 penalties called on the Gophers late in the 3rd were garbage. You believe McLaughlin should have got a penalty fine, Perbix should have been called for embellishment. No arrogance required. :beer:
Garbage is strong, and that’s why I brought up the old joke. You have our old coach so that’s another funny thing about getting ripped on for old players. Again, I’m probably piling on you for all Gopher hockey fans. This used to be done for fun at the Final Five. Cheers back at you.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Cripes wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:11 pm
Slap Shot wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:57 pm
The 2 penalties called on the Gophers late in the 3rd were garbage. You believe McLaughlin should have got a penalty fine, Perbix should have been called for embellishment. No arrogance required. :beer:
Garbage is strong, and that’s why I brought up the old joke. You have our old coach so that’s another funny thing about getting ripped on for old players. Again, I’m probably piling on you for all Gopher hockey fans. This used to be done for fun at the Final Five. Cheers back at you.
Roger that - wasn't sure where you were coming from since we probably haven't met although I made rounds at the WCHA FF for years including the GPL lot party.

With close personal friends it was not uncommon to reference Jan Brady, but on the whole I respect the program and I honestly would have liked to see you guys or Mankato win it all last year. In any year fuck North Dakota and UMD. :mrgreen:
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

The only person in the world saying it was not a penalty is slap shot. The NCHC said it was a missed call. I have seen alot weaker hooks called already this year. They mentioned on the Sioux game when a sioux player got a hooking. Player didnt even go down. If you get the stick up and into a player, its hooking.

They also referenced something dangerous after the play?? Dont know what that was.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Sellingguy wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:58 am The only person in the world saying it was not a penalty is slap shot. The NCHC said it was a missed call. I have seen alot weaker hooks called already this year. They mentioned on the Sioux game when a sioux player got a hooking. Player didnt even go down. If you get the stick up and into a player, its hooking.

They also referenced something dangerous after the play?? Dont know what that was.
SS only said it was embellishment as a knee jerk reaction to argue with me! Have now watched the replay a couple dozen times and in no way was it embellishment....none.
Jaamz

Post by Jaamz »

Hornets wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:21 am
Sellingguy wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:58 am The only person in the world saying it was not a penalty is slap shot. The NCHC said it was a missed call. I have seen alot weaker hooks called already this year. They mentioned on the Sioux game when a sioux player got a hooking. Player didnt even go down. If you get the stick up and into a player, its hooking.

SS only said it was embellishment as a knee jerk reaction to argue with me! Have now watched the replay a couple dozen times and in no way was it embellishment....none.
Slap shot is a fucking dunce....This was an obvious penalty and the ref decided not to call it... i bet he gets suspended..
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Jaamz wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:46 pm

Slap shot is a fucking dunce....This was an obvious penalty and the ref decided not to call it... i bet he gets suspended..
Slap Shot or the ref?! :lol:
Jaamz

Post by Jaamz »

Hornets wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:12 pm
Jaamz wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:46 pm

Slap Shot or the ref?! :lol:
Hopefully both! :lol:
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

The freaking ref indicated in the video he saw a dive. I would have no problem with them calling both and I am not close to being the only person that thinks that.

btw who the is this jamz spaz? :lol: