Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

NHL on ESPN/ABC

A place to discuss the MN Wild
Kenneth Noisewater

NHL on ESPN/ABC

Post by Kenneth Noisewater »

Anyone looking forward to the NHL heading back to ESPN? I thought NBC had a good broadcast and I think there was something to be said for the NHL having their own outlet where they didn't have to compete with Lebron/the Yankees/the NFL over on ESPN.

That being said, the fact that ESPN/ABC bid $2.8 billion to get them back shows how far the league has come the past 15 years. I've enjoyed watching the brand grow from the days of OLN/Versus.

Hoping that growth continues on ESPN.
I got you Abe.
Hole Nova Level

Re: NHL on ESPN/ABC

Post by Hole Nova Level »

Very excited! This was nothing but good news for the NHL. They have a great line up of sports/hockey-heads to lead the charge too!!!
Kenneth Noisewater

For context - the original television deal with OLN was for 2 years and $130 million.

The NBC deal that ended last season was for 10 years, $2 billion.

The new ESPN deal is 7 years, $2.8 billion.
I got you Abe.
Mnwild1128

Post by Mnwild1128 »

I think it's absolutely just horse shyt. I'll never pay for cable or satelite, therefore I won't get to watch any hockey unless it's on regular tv. Which the wild never are. Pretty pathetic that fans aren't even able to watch their own teams play. Yet somehow the vikings are free for my entire life. (38 yrs).
Kenneth Noisewater

Mnwild1128 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:51 pm I think it's absolutely just horse shyt. I'll never pay for cable or satelite, therefore I won't get to watch any hockey unless it's on regular tv. Which the wild never are. Pretty pathetic that fans aren't even able to watch their own teams play. Yet somehow the vikings are free for my entire life. (38 yrs).
I imagine you’ll still get a game a week on ABC plus the Stanley Cup Finals.

There was never going to be an option that included multiple games a week on network television.
I got you Abe.
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

I don't know if this is the intent going forward but most of the ESPN NHL broadcasts are only ESPN+.. and no one is getting into that bullshit.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

Mandatory wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:29 pm I don't know if this is the intent going forward but most of the ESPN NHL broadcasts are only ESPN+.. and no one is getting into that bullshit.
What a f'n joke. Season opener and a majority of Wild fans won't even be able to watch the game. I get it...I guess. But the season opener, of all games? Really? This will really draw the ire if this shit happens come playoff time.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Angry Waters wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:51 pm
Mandatory wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:29 pm I don't know if this is the intent going forward but most of the ESPN NHL broadcasts are only ESPN+.. and no one is getting into that bullshit.
What a f'n joke. Season opener and a majority of Wild fans won't even be able to watch the game. I get it...I guess. But the season opener, of all games? Really? This will really draw the ire if this shit happens come playoff time.
Meh....I'll be at the Rodent/Husky game and missing 1 Wild game isn't going to ruin my weekend!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

Hornets wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:52 pm
Meh....I'll be at the Rodent/Husky game and missing 1 Wild game isn't going to ruin my weekend!
I won't let it ruin my weekend, either. I'll let the Vikings do that on Sunday...
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Angry Waters wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:11 pm
Hornets wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:52 pm
I won't let it ruin my weekend, either. I'll let the Vikings do that on Sunday...
:lol:
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
ocsid

Post by ocsid »

Who's this ASMR chick doing the play by play. Imma fall asleep listening to her.
Proud member of the Low-T Posse®
Leon

Post by Leon »

ocsid wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:18 pm Who's this ASMR chick doing the play by play. Imma fall asleep listening to her.
i missed the start -- twitter is hammering her, Leah Hextall ( now i get it ) she is making LaPanta sound like Doc Emrick -- jeeez, Fallness is an upgrade from whoever she is
ocsid

Post by ocsid »

And I did fall asleep on the couch in the third period. She should not be doing games - I'm sorry.
Proud member of the Low-T Posse®
Dr. Linux

Post by Dr. Linux »

One of my most utilized channels and like 5 dollars a month. I love it.
-

Got Root?
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

Dr. Linux wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:15 am
It's not a channel though. It's a streaming service app basically.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Dr. Linux

Post by Dr. Linux »

Mandatory wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:33 am
Dr. Linux wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:15 am
It's not a channel though. It's a streaming service app basically.
I guess. I really only stream stuff outside of over the air channels. It works out well for me.
-

Got Root?
Kenneth Noisewater

I’m officially going on record saying this is a bad deal for the NHL. They should have stayed with NBC where they were they were the lead fiddle.

Just saw the Stanley Cup won’t even be on network TV next year. TNT will broadcast the finals every other year for the next 6.
I got you Abe.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i'll put this here. i remember him coaching the kings--and he's been with espn forever.