Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

hybrid froobs, froobs that hybrid

Cars, bikes, and other things you work on in the garage.
jffl_commish

hybrid froobs, froobs that hybrid

Post by jffl_commish »

I have one coming, whenever the damn thing gets built anyway. Anyone drive a hybrid? 40 MPG combined for the Rav that I'm getting sounds good to me.
Let's get Tropical
Cobey
Trouble

Re: hybrid froobs, froobs that hybrid

Post by Cobey »

jffl_commish wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:19 am I have one coming, whenever the damn thing gets built anyway. Anyone drive a hybrid? 40 MPG combined for the Rav that I'm getting sounds good to me.
"Your mileage may vary"

From everything I have heard and read on these, unless you drive them a specific way, you aren't going to reach really anything near those MPG numbers.

The electric engine isn't going to start powering the car unless you're driving at like 15 mph or less. Think about your typical drive and how often you're driving that slow...it's not often, if you're anything like me. And then if you run at 70+ mph on a freeway, you have this underpowered gasoline engine pinned, which gives you less than ideal gas efficiency. The technology has its place, and it is getting better with each passing year, but I'm not entirely convinced that it's the answer yet.

I think the superior option is to have the electric engine power the wheels and have the gas engine there as a generator, like the BMW i8.
EnLiteEndOne

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

Cobey wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:17 pm
jffl_commish wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:19 am I have one coming, whenever the damn thing gets built anyway. Anyone drive a hybrid? 40 MPG combined for the Rav that I'm getting sounds good to me.
"Your mileage may vary"

From everything I have heard and read on these, unless you drive them a specific way, you aren't going to reach really anything near those MPG numbers.

The electric engine isn't going to start powering the car unless you're driving at like 15 mph or less. Think about your typical drive and how often you're driving that slow...it's not often, if you're anything like me. And then if you run at 70+ mph on a freeway, you have this underpowered gasoline engine pinned, which gives you less than ideal gas efficiency. The technology has its place, and it is getting better with each passing year, but I'm not entirely convinced that it's the answer yet.

I think the superior option is to have the electric engine power the wheels and have the gas engine there as a generator, like the BMW i8.
Minnesota in general is not an ideal location for hybrid vehicles, but for those that choose to have a car in high density population areas they are a fantastic option and their emissions impact when you have many folk choose the hybrid option starts to show.

My example is not dissimilar to the popularity of the 2wd pickup in the south. 4wd is an option but recouping the benefit vs cost is unlikely.

Fully electric vehicles will be a great option here once enough charging stations and home charging become more standard.
Lampin'
anthony

Post by anthony »

I’m intrigued by the Toyota Tacoma hybrid. I might test drive one if possible…
Straight Edge Raven

Post by Straight Edge Raven »

Anyone have a 2019 or newer Rav4 Hybrid and do you know about Cablegate?
Slava Ukraini
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed