Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

My car is haunted

Cars, bikes, and other things you work on in the garage.
Cobey
Trouble

My car is haunted

Post by Cobey »

Periodically, the panic alarm (the honking horn alarm that you use to find your car in a big parking lot or what happens when you open the door from the inside after locking it) has been just going off for seemingly no reason. As is the case with these fucking things, this always seems to happen after midnight. It happened about 5-6 times last night...all between 3:00 AM and 5:30 AM.

Rarely, I have seen the "door ajar" light/chime turn on and off as I am driving along. I'm hypothesizing that these two are related and it may just need a jamb switch/sensor. I have it in the shop right now to see what they can do (along with a brake job), but unless I get lucky as fuck and the thing goes off while it's there, I don't anticipate that I'll have much luck.

Anyone have any other possible ideas? In the meantime, I'll probably be either unhooking the battery or keeping the key in the car overnight to prevent my neighbors from burning my place to the ground.
Unbiased Observer

Re: My car is haunted

Post by Unbiased Observer »

How would you rate the diversity of the shop you use for vehicle repair?

That's what I thought. You fucking racist.
After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Unbiased Observer wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:08 am How would you rate the diversity of the shop you use for vehicle repair?

For Otsego, it was incredibly diverse.

There was a dude who looked to be at least half Hispanic, from what I could tell.

And there's a lady working the counter.
Unbiased Observer

Post by Unbiased Observer »

Cobey wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:13 am
Unbiased Observer wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:08 am How would you rate the diversity of the shop you use for vehicle repair?

There was a dude who looked to be at least half Hispanic, from what I could tell.

Huh.
After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.
BigInflateable

Post by BigInflateable »

Something is haywire with the immobilizer,/anti theft data lines. Or it's something as dumb as a door ajar switch. Do your parking lights, puddle lamps go out after the normal delay? May he something as simple as corrosion in a pigtail/plug connection under the paneling in the hatch. Unfortunately a comprehensive tech is going to need to spend some time with it. May cost a couple hundred in diag time. If it's a programing issue, may need the dealership to look at it or a shop with a Ford specific scanner.
BigInflateable

Post by BigInflateable »

Cobey wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:13 am

Well played! :clap:
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

BigInflateable wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:19 am Something is haywire with the immobilizer,/anti theft data lines. Or it's something as dumb as a door ajar switch. Do your parking lights, puddle lamps go out after the normal delay? May he something as simple as corrosion in a pigtail/plug connection under the paneling in the hatch. Unfortunately a comprehensive tech is going to need to spend some time with it. May cost a couple hundred in diag time. If it's a programing issue, may need the dealership to look at it or a shop with a Ford specific scanner.
There isn't anything else out of the ordinary that I have noticed.

So if it comes back from the shop today with nothing (I just brought it to the local chain tire shop because the brakes were desperate for attention as well), I wouldn't be well served by just throwing 4 door ajar switches at it to see if that works?
BigInflateable

Post by BigInflateable »

Cobey wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:25 am
BigInflateable wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:19 am Something is haywire with the immobilizer,/anti theft data lines. Or it's something as dumb as a door ajar switch. Do your parking lights, puddle lamps go out after the normal delay? May he something as simple as corrosion in a pigtail/plug connection under the paneling in the hatch. Unfortunately a comprehensive tech is going to need to spend some time with it. May cost a couple hundred in diag time. If it's a programing issue, may need the dealership to look at it or a shop with a Ford specific scanner.

So if it comes back from the shop today with nothing (I just brought it to the local chain tire shop because the brakes were desperate for attention as well), I wouldn't be well served by just throwing 4 door ajar switches at it to see if that works?
No I wouldn't do that. I wouldn't be surprised if you maybe have a smart key going dead? Just spit balling. A comprehensive scanner, when doing a complete system scan, hopefully will see any soft data codes that have been stored. Whether it be flagged by the BCM, the Door module or PATS module. If it's a key programming issue, unfourtunatly it likely means a trip to the dealership.
BigInflateable

Post by BigInflateable »

Let me know if they find anything. You never know, at a place like Tires Plus, they may have a really good diagnostic/A level tech there or just really good parts installers working. When I was at the St. Cloud Tires Plus, I was the only guy in the building that could properly diagnose driveability problems or do any heavy line. (Timing chains/belts etc.) Not the entire time I was with them but for probably 2 years of it.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

BigInflateable wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:33 am
Cobey wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:25 am

No I wouldn't do that. I wouldn't be surprised if you maybe have a smart key going dead? Just spit balling. A comprehensive scanner, when doing a complete system scan, hopefully will see any soft data codes that have been stored. Whether it be flagged by the BCM, the Door module or PATS module. If it's a key programming issue, unfourtunatly it likely means a trip to the dealership.
I replaced the batteries on both of my keys about 3-6 months ago. A specific warning comes up for that on the infotainment system. Doesn't rule that out either though. I'll probably be bringing it to Ford soon anyway because I have about 4k on my powertrain warranty and a CEL came up a week or two ago (EVAP vacuum shit)
RC3

Post by RC3 »

Serious responses only, asshole!
reddish?

I will have my vengeance.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

I think I unfortunately may be about done with this car though...No shot that I'm squeezing another car seat in the back. I'm really struggling with coming to terms with that right now. Talk me off the ledge, bros. Also, suggestions for some terrible grocery getters that could be had for under $30k, preferably 25k are also welcome.
Lesueurcountyguy

Post by Lesueurcountyguy »

Check the connection of the wire harness to the insterment cluster. Had a pin bad in the cluster on my last F350. It would make all sorts of gremlins happen until I replaced the cluster. Should be able to get it to act up by a wiggle test.
I like a tight beat
BigInflateable

Post by BigInflateable »

RC3 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:26 am
Serious responses only, asshole!
:lol: Dong.
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by cmd24 »

My last Avalanche would randomly lock the doors, with the keys in, after I'd get out. More than one occasion I had to walk home and get the second set of keys so I could get in the damn thing.
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
BigInflateable

Post by BigInflateable »

Cobey wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:55 pm I think I unfortunately may be about done with this car though...No shot that I'm squeezing another car seat in the back. I'm really struggling with coming to terms with that right now. Talk me off the ledge, bros. Also, suggestions for some terrible grocery getters that could be had for under $30k, preferably 25k are also welcome.
A lot of fun sedans can be had for 25k man. A lot of hot rod 4 doors out there in the market.
You could do like me. You have a toy that's stored for the winter and invest into a slightly older work/winter beater.
That's a lot to take on for some though. Required space for multiple vehicles, more junk to maintain etc.
BigInflateable

Post by BigInflateable »

Lesueurcountyguy wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:07 pm Check the connection of the wire harness to the insterment cluster. Had a pin bad in the cluster on my last F350. It would make all sorts of gremlins happen until I replaced the cluster. Should be able to get it to act up by a wiggle test.
Always nice to find the source of so much frustration. Usually winds up being something completely stupid.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

BigInflateable wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:39 pm
Cobey wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:55 pm I think I unfortunately may be about done with this car though...No shot that I'm squeezing another car seat in the back. I'm really struggling with coming to terms with that right now. Talk me off the ledge, bros. Also, suggestions for some terrible grocery getters that could be had for under $30k, preferably 25k are also welcome.
A lot of fun sedans can be had for 25k man. A lot of hot rod 4 doors out there in the market.
You could do like me. You have a toy that's stored for the winter and invest into a slightly older work/winter beater.
That's a lot to take on for some though. Required space for multiple vehicles, more junk to maintain etc.
In an ideal world, I'd 100% do this. Not sure I could swing it, either money-wise or space-wise.
BigInflateable

Post by BigInflateable »

Cobey wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:46 pm
BigInflateable wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:39 pm
In an ideal world, I'd 100% do this. Not sure I could swing it, either money-wise or space-wise.
I get tired of it. Like I say, one more thing to maintain, taking full coverage off, putting comp on, dealing with it getting kids handle bars bumped into it, kids swinging open doors in the garage when they shouldn't. Car covers don't stop door dings. Diver mirror got busted this winter. Wife was afraid to tell me. I was relieved it wasn't a big dent instead!
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Tires Plus called...
Spoiler:
I'm not convinced that they even tried, but basically told me to go to the stealership
Lesueurcountyguy

Cobey wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:07 pm Tires Plus called...
Spoiler:
I'm not convinced that they even tried, but basically told me to go to the stealership
You took it to a tires plus store instead of a Ford dealer?? :shock: :lol:
I like a tight beat
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Lesueurcountyguy wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:19 pm
Spoiler:
I didn't want to pay $825 to have my rear brakes done, which was the more critical repair.

My hope was that it could have been resolved today, which was exactly a 0% likelihood if I brought it to a dealership because every time I've gone there, it was a week out to get even the most common of parts.
Lesueurcountyguy

Cobey wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:21 pm
Spoiler:
I didn't want to pay $825 to have my rear brakes done, which was the more critical repair.

My hope was that it could have been resolved today, which was exactly a 0% likelihood if I brought it to a dealership because every time I've gone there, it was a week out to get even the most common of parts.
Just busting your balls...
I like a tight beat
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Lesueurcountyguy wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:41 pm

The dealership by me sucks more dick than Eroder on a Monday afternoon.
Lesueurcountyguy

Cobey wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:42 pm

It’s a bit of a drive for you but Wolf Motors Ford in Jordan has the best service department around.
I like a tight beat
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Cobey wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:42 pm

Unpossible.
chris_numbers

Post by chris_numbers »

Sell it.
Is it bad that I hate all of you even though I’ve never met you?
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

chris_numbers wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:45 pm Sell it.
It's definitely on the table, unfortunately. :cry:
Lenny5160

Post by Lenny5160 »

Should have done your own brakes and use the savings to pay the dealership to investigate your other issue.

Intermittent electrical gremlins are the absolute worst though.
butterscotch streetlamps mark my path
Old_Kid

Post by Old_Kid »

Last edited by Old_Kid on Wed May 12, 2021 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Physically spent, emotionally overdrawn, and morally bankrupt in no way to spend a Tuesday. :scooter: