Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Gophers Football thread

Home for Gopher football topics
Dan33185

Re: Gophers Football thread

Post by Dan33185 »

feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Dan33185 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:55 pm
What's the story here?
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

feekdogg wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:01 pm
What's the story here?
He blew a initials question and all of MN twitter jumped on it for that sweet KFAN clout. It’s why This program is officially dead to me!!!
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Mandatory wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:41 pm
What's the story here?
He blew a initials question and all of MN twitter jumped on it for that sweet KFAN clout. It’s why This program is officially dead to me!!!
I still don't understand the umbrage.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Slap Shot wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:18 am
Mandatory wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:41 pm

What's the story here?
I still don't understand the umbrage.
I'm personally just playing around in regards to gophers being dead to me... but in all seriousness anything that willingly associates itself with meatsauce is a mystery to me.

#BaltimoreStrong
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

While I don't expect the Gophers to walk through the BTW they will compete for the title with Iowa and Wisconsin.

As for Morgan perhaps some forget 2019. After which the team lost Ciarrocca, Tyler Johnson and Rashod Batemen. The offense went very stale after that in the passing game, and then to top that all off last year they lost Ibrahim for the entire year who ran for 163 YDS and 2 TDs in essentially a half vs. OSU. The offense game plan vs. BG and Illinois where they refused to move off the run was a big mistake. I don't expect that to repeat itself with Ciarrocca coming back.

Wright has a lot of talent as do Daniel Jackson and Autman-Bell. Mike Brown-Stephens was arguably their most consistent receiver last season and is back. Losing Brady Boyd hurts. If those 4 Brevyn stays healthy - and if the OL can figure it out after a rebuild - Tanner has a chance to have a very solid season.

Got tickets for Thursday night - sadly not as big as going to the OSU game last year but it should still be a good time.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Mason on Barreiro today.

Caller asked him to talk about his recruitment of JJ Watt. Said they had JJ fully committed. He ran into JJ's dad a few years later, and the dad went to talk to him and said that after Mason was fired JJ was still excited to play for the U of M, but after Mason left, no one ever reached out to JJ from the Gophers (Brewster) again, so he went to CMU.

Mason went on to point out that he also had former Michigan State linebacker, and Big Ten defensive player of the year Greg Jones committed to that class...who also backed out after Mason was fired and no one contacted him.

Reminded me quite a bit of a froob by the name of Jimtownguy, was Carson Wentz's uncle telling us that Wentz was prepared to accept a PFWO from the Gophers, as Brewster all but told him he had it...but after the Gophers signed two QB's, the offer never came.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

bubu dubu. wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:54 pm Mason on Barreiro today.

Caller asked him to talk about his recruitment of JJ Watt. Said they had JJ fully committed. He ran into JJ's dad a few years later, and the dad went to talk to him and said that after Mason was fired JJ was still excited to play for the U of M, but after Mason left, no one ever reached out to JJ from the Gophers (Brewster) again, so he went to CMU.

Mason went on to point out that he also had former Michigan State linebacker, and Big Ten defensive player of the year Greg Jones committed to that class...who also backed out after Mason was fired and no one contacted him.

Reminded me quite a bit of a froob by the name of Jimtownguy, was Carson Wentz's uncle telling us that Wentz was prepared to accept a PFWO from the Gophers, as Brewster all but told him he had it...but after the Gophers signed two QB's, the offer never came.
Mase is an egomaniac who acts as though he was the second coming of Bernie Bierman. These types of stories are common all ovah the country....sometimes the timing is right, and sometimes the timing is wrong.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Hornets wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:57 pm

Mase is an egomaniac who acts as though he was the second coming of Bernie Bierman. These types of stories are common all ovah the country....sometimes the timing is right, and sometimes the timing is wrong.
Yeah, Im sure he embellishes a little bit, but he did have both these studs committed before he was fired. It leads to other questions though....like how JJ was recruited as a TE. Would Mason have had the vision to move him to DE? If not, would JJ have become a stud TE? Also, what would the rest of the team look like around Jones and Watt? Would either of their development have taken the same trajectory?
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

I doubt that Wentz situation is accurate. Wentz didn't play QB until his senior season (2010), and had nothing for offers until late in that season. Brewster was fired in October of 2010. Brewster might have offered him a PWO, but maybe Kill didn't bother honoring it or checking in further.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

feekdogg wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:04 am

I doubt that Wentz situation is accurate. Wentz didn't play QB until his senior season (2010), and had nothing for offers until late in that season. Brewster was fired in October of 2010. Brewster might have offered him a PWO, but maybe Kill didn't bother honoring it or checking in further.
Who ya pickin Dawg? I think PJ wins anotha bowl, Mo goes out in style, Kaliakmanis is a bit shaky, and Tanner returns for one more moment of glory!

Rodents win, 24-17
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Hornets wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:20 am
feekdogg wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:04 am

Who ya pickin Dawg? I think PJ wins anotha bowl, Mo goes out in style, Kaliakmanis is a bit shaky, and Tanner returns for one more moment of glory!

Rodents win, 24-17
I'd assume a 17+ point win. PJ cares more about bowl games than 99% of coaches. Gophers have everybody, Cuse had a couple of their best players opt out.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Good on the football team.

Let's get Tropical
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Still needs to beat Iowa and compete for a BTW title but the program is in better shape than it has been for decades.

Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Slap Shot wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:07 pm Still needs to beat Iowa and compete for a BTW title but the program is in better shape than it has been for decades.

We're lucky to have him...
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

Alabama had 10 NFL draft picks this year alone...crazy when you think about it.
GopherGuy

Post by GopherGuy »

Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

Dan33185 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:35 pm Alabama had 10 NFL draft picks this year alone...crazy when you think about it.
They are good at football.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
Self High-Five

Post by Self High-Five »

No more divisions starting in 2024.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... model-2024
"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such." - Homer Simpson
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

GopherGuy

Post by GopherGuy »

Pulling in some OLine. I like it
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Kind of tough to get excited about recruiting anymore since it's so easy for kids to bail. Even ones that signed an NIL then never stepped foot on campus. Looking at you, Dennis Evans.
Let's get Tropical
The Lizard King

Post by The Lizard King »

Looking forward to USC coming to town in 2025!

"If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first." - KDC
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

jffl_commish wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:09 am Kind of tough to get excited about recruiting anymore since it's so easy for kids to bail. Even ones that signed an NIL then never stepped foot on campus. Looking at you, Dennis Evans.
While it's true that until they're on campus all bets are off, the football program is far more attractive right now than the bb one.
The Lizard King

Post by The Lizard King »

The Gophers are nationally liked!

"If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first." - KDC
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Not having Notre Dame at the top is a huge miss.

Nationally liked also seems to sadly mean nationally irrelevant.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Slap Shot wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:14 pm Not having Notre Dame at the top is a huge miss.

Nationally liked also seems to sadly mean nationally irrelevant.
Agreed and agreed.

VT is about the only team from that list that I think the description is accurate. Tulane Green Wave? lol

#BaltimoreStrong
Park Ranger

Post by Park Ranger »

Is the PJ hype finally done? What expectations do we have this year?
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

For lack of a better thread. tbh I'd be more shocked if there were any Div I coaches not doing shit like this.

Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!